mtbr member

Upset Cannondale - Not supporting tall riders!

It started with the Rush, and now itís the new Scalpel! After following the new scalpel thread with great anticipation I now find with great disappointment that the new Scalpel will follow suit with its ridiculously low seat tube. Down from a 22Ē seat tube (old Scalpel XL) to a 19.7 (new Scalpel XL).

At 6í 3Ē I regard myself as being on the tall side but donít regard myself as freakishly tall. 19.7Ē for a seat tube length is just too damn short for an XL rider. There will be some out there who will disagree but after having an XL alloy Rush with the same 19.7" seat tube and having to replace my seatpost twice to settle for one that is long enough, and then only just (Thompson 410mm) I won't be repeating this mistake with the new scalpel. Not only does the long seat tube look wrong (a lot of people that have asked me why I didn't get a bigger frame), but the extra leverage generates flex through the frame which I was surprised to see when my LBS demonstrated it to me by standing at the side of the bike, grabbing the swingarm and the seat and pulling the seat towards and away from you.... it's just bad design

As for the reason why they are designing frames this way? It canít be stand over height as XL riders have longer legs and donít need the same standover as a small to medium rider. I can only guess that itís to keep manufacturing costs down, both the rush and new scalpel use the top tube as a shock mount, so they figure they can't bend the top tube enough to support the longer seat tube while still retaining the strength and they don't want to add more material. Other manufacturers manage this so why not Cannondale? I can only hope its a trend that will not be repeated by other manufacturers because my next bike will be from one of them.

mtbr member
    I am also 6' 3" but I prefer the shorter seat tube. I simply don't like the ugly bend in the current Scalpel L & XL sizes. They could make another rear triangle with a higher seat tube for the bigger sizes but this would add significantly in production costs, escpecially since the new Scalpel doesn't have pivot points any more on the seat stays. If you look at the Trek Fuel for instance, you see that the seat tube of the bigger sizes is higher than the Scalpel's but that they all share the same rear triangle. This gives a somewhat unbalanced impression.
    I am sure that even with a long seat post, you will love the ride of the new Scalpel!
    Ciao
    Kayba

mtbr member
    I am also 6' 3" but I prefer the shorter seat tube. I simply don't like the ugly bend in the current Scalpel L & XL sizes. They could make another rear triangle with a higher seat tube for the bigger sizes but this would add significantly in production costs, escpecially since the new Scalpel doesn't have pivot points any more on the seat stays. If you look at the Trek Fuel for instance, you see that the seat tube of the bigger sizes is higher than the Scalpel's but that they all share the same rear triangle. This gives a somewhat unbalanced impression.
    I am sure that even with a long seat post, you will love the ride of the new Scalpel!
    Ciao
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Ciao
    Kayba
    Oops, sorry for the 3 posts! My browser was playing tricks on me.

LA CH»VRE
    You sure know how to make sure your point gets through Kayba!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You sure know how to make sure your point gets through Kayba!

Kayba

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    I'm also 6 foot 3 and I've ridden quite a few rush xls, and I'll tell ya these bikes fit like gloves. I have no problems with frame flex or getting enough seatpost out with the stock post. Yeah it doesn't look quite right but it works, which is what counts.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    Kayba I wish I could share your enthusiasm but with so many other good rides out there, why get one with a compromised design just because it is a cannondale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooly_CoolyOo
    I have no problems with frame flex or getting enough seatpost out with the stock post.
    My 6'3" must be different from yours because the stock post was waaaaay to short. I admit I'm very particular about my seat height as I want the maximum power output from my pedal stroke. You wouldn't get flex out of the stock post because its not long enough, but believe me there is flex in the 32cm of unsupported seatpost sticking out of my frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    bleebs, you got the point

See my post on the scalpel fred

I am 190 cm (6.2 feet), what 3 of my 5 teammates also have and I run into lot of troubles with that extra long seat post. The CD stock post haven't fit on my rush carbon, what shoes, that CD doesn't think over tall riders.

The new scalpel was a buy for me, since 10 minutes before I read the seat post length. Annoying.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte

LA CH»VRE
    Trouble even with a long Thomson? They should be stiffer than most posts...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :