mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Cannondale with Niner rigid fork

Just pulled the trigger on a SL 29er 3 single speed. Which I indend to modify quite a bit. Already have the Stan's Crests ordered. Next order of business is the fork. I plan to get a Niner fork. Has anyone done a tapered Niner fork to Cdale's 1.5 head tube? Did you use adaptors/spacers, or get a new headset altogether? Budget-wise the spacers make sense, but not opposed to get a high quality headset too. Want to set it up for the best ride quality & strength. Advice? Pictures? Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Have a Niner RDO in route. Help???

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cannondale with Niner rigid fork

I think Chris King has a headset that will work for just that purpose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Since you're converting the SS, it already has a 1.5" bottom bearing, so you should be ok as long as you transfer the bearing race. The upper will need a 1.5 to 1-1/8" reducer cup and bearing, so you'll probably need to get a whole 1.5 to 1-1/8" headset and just use the top. You'll need a new stem, too…. I ended up using an old System Six carbon stem on mine…it looks awesome.

For everyone else with an F29 or Flash with SI headtube….

I have converted mine to use with Niner fork. I bought 2 headsets, SI to 1-1/8 for the top, and SI to 1.5 for the bottom….

As luck would have it…right after I bought the 2 headsets to make one…I see this

Cannondale Reducer Headset - SI/Headshok to 1.5"-1 1/8" tapered - KP205 - CannondaleExperts.com

Cannondale with Niner rigid fork-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357256695.468080.jpgCannondale with Niner rigid fork-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357256680.891042.jpg
    Last edited by trauma-md; 04-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow that's a thing of beauty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Cannondale with Niner rigid fork-2012-04-03_16-50-31_80s.jpgCannondale with Niner rigid fork-2012-05-12_14-40-11_349.jpg
    I went with a Cane creek headset (if you search my posts you can find the part #). It's a great fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Doesn't that thing freak you out when you look down and see a leg on each side?!?

That looks sharp!

mtbr member
    That Flash looks awesome! Is that your "cross" bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    @jim...Definitely weird having a lefty with a righty…no doubt.

@limba: used it as a pit bike but put big tires on it this summer and SS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    All great stuff guys. Thanks! It'll be a couple weeks, but I'll post it up when I am done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Clobber,
    If you want to sell the Cannondale fork, let me know. Those Niner forks are sweet..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    trauma-md

can you put more pics of your bike, looks awesome, you ordered the the stans with lefty hub of with regular hub. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Good to see this thread come back to life. After a season of use, I absolutely love it! Big experiment this week will be if Knard 3.0 truly fits & if so if it'll stay on a Stan's Flow rim sans roll-off. Off'd my Crests to run some wider tires, 2.5 Maxxis Minion on back (hoping it fits too).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    not a niner, but an on-one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale with Niner rigid fork-img_7918.jpg  

Cannondale with Niner rigid fork-img_7919.jpg  

mtbr member
    looks like its on backwards! haha. whats the offset on that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    oh shite, it's on backwards - thanks man!!! 45mm offset.

aracing
    Feb 2014

few questions

Hi there, wanna put a Niner Fork on my Flash 29er, alloy model 2010.

to start, which fork do i buy from Niner? the carbon fork tapered? or the carbon fork 1 1/8?

second,

is it cheaper to buy the cannondale reducer headset mentioned from cannondaleexperts.com or to buy them separately?

what do you recommend

best regards

Since you're converting the SS, it already has a 1.5" bottom bearing, so you should be ok as long as you transfer the bearing race. The upper will need a 1.5 to 1-1/8" reducer cup and bearing, so you'll probably need to get a whole 1.5 to 1-1/8" headset and just use the top. You'll need a new stem, too…. I ended up using an old System Six carbon stem on mine…it looks awesome.

For everyone else with an F29 or Flash with SI headtube….

I have converted mine to use with Niner fork. I bought 2 headsets, SI to 1-1/8 for the top, and SI to 1.5 for the bottom….

As luck would have it…right after I bought the 2 headsets to make one…I see this

Cannondale Reducer Headset - SI/Headshok to 1.5"-1 1/8" tapered - KP205 - CannondaleExperts.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357256695.468080.jpg 
Views:	1458 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	787788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357256680.891042.jpg 
Views:	4688 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	787789

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by theloupis View Post
    Hi there, wanna put a Niner Fork on my Flash 29er, alloy model 2010.

to start, which fork do i buy from Niner? the carbon fork tapered? or the carbon fork 1 1/8?

second,

is it cheaper to buy the cannondale reducer headset mentioned from cannondaleexperts.com or to buy them separately?

what do you recommend

best regards
    hey there, in mds absence i can answer this for you.Havent seen him on in a while.

in a nutshell you can go for either, tapered or 1. 1/8.

cannondale experts sell reducers for both tube sizes. i would personally go for the tapered and go with this set of SI bearings. Cannondale Reducer Headset - SI/Headshok to 1.5 -1-1/8 Tapered - CannondaleExperts.com

Answer to your second question is to go with the one complete set. mentioned above instead of making one up. MD bought a complete 1.1/8 reducer set and 1.5 basically doubling the price to make up the one set.

just get the set on the link above and go with the tapered fork and youll be good to go mate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey....I'm still alive...haha.

What Brock said is correct...unfortunately when I built mine, there wasn't a tapered reducer headset, so I had to get both and pilfer the pieces I needed. Now you can get what you need.

Redcoat
    Hey....I'm still alive...haha.

What Brock said is correct...unfortunately when I built mine, there wasn't a tapered reducer headset, so I had to get both and pilfer the pieces I needed. Now you can get what you need.
    oop sorry my bad sir!