YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

"Cannondale" name

I read on Wikipedia it's named after a train station in Connecticut, why?
    Last edited by YB1; 09-16-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Apparently Joe Montgomery and the boys needed a name for the business license, so they peeked out the window and saw the train station.... booya, a bicycle company is named.

mtbr member
    it's named after a train station because trains are BAD A$$
    Last edited by jason.R; 09-16-2010 at 07:20 PM.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Apparently Joe Montgomery and the boys needed a name for the business license, so they peeked out the window and saw the train station.... booya, a bicycle company is named.

ok...and besides crappin' pale and crack'n fail, what are the other good smear names?
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

Music & Bikes
    can 'O' ale
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    ok...and besides crappin' pale and crack'n fail, what are the other good smear names?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee

Dude, that is funny.....
    Do you mind if I use it as my avatar pic?????
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

FIRENZE rulez !!
    pay royalties to Ray Lee

banned
    Apr 2010
    Haha, those Montgomeries built the business, sold people on their proprietary forks successfully, and then destroyed themselves. It always happens. Wonder what they're ruining now.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess in Italian "Chinandale" sounds allright, China = "keena" right? But in English I'm still leaning towards Crappin' Pale as the best.

The moto dream was a good dream, just look at the explosion in that market that has occured over the past 15 years. It was just starting from scratch against five major multinational companines that had already been in that space fo decades was not happening for a US company. And Scott runs Scott, was pushing the 29'ers hard at Eurobike....
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    From the '74 catalog. http://www.vintagecannondale.com/catalog.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Cannondale" name-cdale1.jpg  

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Ahh! The phone, that's right. I new it was something like that....

mtbr member
    check my avatar!

mtbr member
    Sure you can use it.... wish I was able to make the text for the logo better

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Dude, that is funny.....
    Do you mind if I use it as my avatar pic?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I love the part about unconditionally guaranteeing their product. That used to be the case. According to the recent thread on lifetime warranty, maybe not so much after the few iterations of new owners comes along.

In the mid 90's I had a warranty frame replacement. The replacement seemed to take a while so I emailed the company. Scott Montgomery himself called me on the phone to address the issue. He gave me an update and got a chance to talk bikes a bit. It is this type of service that has drawn be back to this brand purchasing more six of their bikes over the years and recommending them to others.

Clearly times have changed, so are the people running the company, so are their warranty replacement policies, so are my recommendations of their bikes to others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gradstdnt_99
    I love the part about unconditionally guaranteeing their product. That used to be the case. According to the recent thread on lifetime warranty, maybe not so much after the few iterations of new owners comes along.

In the mid 90's I had a warranty frame replacement. The replacement seemed to take a while so I emailed the company. Scott Montgomery himself called me on the phone to address the issue. He gave me an update and got a chance to talk bikes a bit. It is this type of service that has drawn be back to this brand purchasing more six of their bikes over the years and recommending them to others.

Clearly times have changed, so are the people running the company, so are their warranty replacement policies, so are my recommendations of their bikes to others.
    Still grumbling about this , why don't you go out and ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    Still grumbling about this , why don't you go out and ride your bike.
    I was actually planning on it since it was a nice evening. That is until it started to downpour with thunder and lightning. Tonight I will indeed be riding. If you don't like my posts, don't respond.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's not that I don't like your posts, you are entitled to your opinion...but you never have anything new to say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    It's not that I don't like your posts, you are entitled to your opinion...but you never have anything new to say.

I thought sharing my positive experience with Scott Montgomery was adding something new as well as having some coolness factor. Looking back at the 1974 catalog gave some insight into the humble beginnings of the company as well as some of their core values. Like many companies that grow up, somewhere along the line those very values that made the company great eventually get discarded as the founders sell out or get bought out by bigger more greedy hands. It's cycle that happens more times than not.