Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

No good Cannondale - my biggest disappointment

I didn't expected such thing from Cannondale, I want others to read this and to know what can happen if they buy bikes from Cannondale...
    Short story, after aprox 1 month I bought a Cannondale F29 Carbon 1 red color scheme I noticed a crack on the seat tube (identical crack as another 2 frames from here, this is another story...)
    I contacted my local Cannondale dealer and they contacted Cannondale Europe for the frame replacement.
    I was very happy when they announced me that the new frame arrived, but surprise they sent the other color (green/black scheme). Not an mistake at all ! They replied that this is the company policy for frame warranties, to supply only that color !
    So, they want me to accept a wrong color frame, thus having a bike with red saddle, red fork stickers, wrong color and green frame.
    After refusing to pick up the frame my local dealer contacted again Cannondale Europe tell them that the customer(me) don't accept this, they replied that there is nothing to do else !

So first, I'm very curious if this is also the official position of Cannondale USA, if they threat their USA based customers the same.
    Second, I want to know the MTBR forum member's opinion and what I can do further.

Kind regards,
    Alex

mtbr member
    This is unfortunate, however I know that Cannondale would say you were responsible to understand the warranty policy before you purchased the bike. On the other side of this mess, if you are in tight with your lbs and they were going to order another F29 Carbon 1 red color scheme they would swap out the frame for your's and just sell the green one on the shop floor instead.
    good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That is usually the deal with warranty replacement.
    They replace with what they have....color is not an option.

It could be worse. They sent you a frame. I had another manufacturers frame break on the 3rd ride. It took 10 months to get a new frame....being the wrong color was the least of my disappointment.
    I was also had a dealer that hooked me up big time through the whole mess.

mtbr member
    My original frame was the 2012 Black/White, and they replaced it with the black, green, white version you mention. Fortunately, it matched my components, but I was surprised that they didn't replace with a duplicate frame. As mentioned in the other thread, I had the identical seat tube crack as you and the LBS I went through is owned by a good friend of mine. Hope you can get things sorted out with your LBS in a fashion that is acceptable for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First we are talking about a 2013 model that is sold only in 2 colors. I would understand if there where 10 colors for this model or an older model and they couldn't supply all the range.
    Second, in my opinion this is unacceptable, you pay 6.000 EUR and end up with a mixed bike ? I know is only about aesthetics but I care about this also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buf... guarantees are like insurance policies, always have small letter. Although I know it can be worst, and is probably "only" an aesthetics problem, I can't understood this behavior when somebody has spent 6K in one of your product. Please, are 6K on a bike... Don't you need to take care of your clients????

Good luck.
    Just try to be happy and smile every day.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, this is what happens with Cannondale USA too.

However, it's not just Cannondale. Specialized, Trek and other companies do the same thing.

It's good they had the frame. Some of the road bike warranties have had to wait just to get a frame at all.

That being said, I like my red frame road bike with Team green bar tape and bottle cages. You'd think red and green scream Christmas, but it looks oddly good. I guess I'm bent, LOL.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I don't know, you got a replacement frame and it will work just like the last one. Only difference is color. Put it together and ride it! Get rid of the Save post though since that seems to be the issue with the crack in the first place. I bet it still looks bad ass even with the new frame color. You can probably find the decals for the fork somewhere. You could have possibly went through this with another company and got no replacement frame at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Cannondale - my biggest disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    I don't know, you got a replacement frame and it will work just like the last one. Only difference is color. Put it together and ride it! Get rid of the Save post though since that seems to be the issue with the crack in the first place. I bet it still looks bad ass even with the new frame color. You can probably find the decals for the fork somewhere. You could have possibly went through this with another company and got no replacement frame at all.
    I partially agree with you, I can ride with the new frame or even with the current one, but why should I accept this policy that I consider to be unfair, without any care for the customer?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And for me is like having my car in the service and being announced that my white car will have green doors after the repair, but is okay, I can drive it without any problem , what would be the issue..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd be pissed... fine print or not.... bogus, the crack is a defect, not your fault.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Well, when I had a bad swingarm on my 2007 Prophet and before it was replaced the rep even asked the shop before ordering what color the bike was to make sure it gets painted in the right color! (That's right, good ole' HMIUSA times when they where able to produce an extra one for warranty purposes!!)....I would be pissed off as well if the frame craps out after only a month or so and they replace it with something that is of a different color. I can see them doing it with a model that is like a few years old, but a brand new frame? C'mon! Maybe if you write a letter written in Chinese to cannondale they might listen.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sure, they should have the correct color. As far as I understood it, they didn't do a single extra red/white/blue frame. That is just downright stupid. If I had know beforehand, I wouldn't have bought the bike in that color!

Now, I'm still waiting for a call today from Cannondale. We'll see if they take care of this somehow

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The absolute stupid thing in my case is that I wanted the other color (green/black) as my previous RZ 120 Cannondale bike had this color scheme and I also bought the CFR green equipment, but when I asked about the green color they (3 LBS) replied that only the red color is commercialized in my country...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Maybe it was the same here, I actually haven't seen any CFR F29 frames. If that's the case, that is really stupid.

I mean, come on. If I were in charge of deciding on color schemes I would either make sure to have plenty of frames in each color, OR simply just have one color for each model (like 2014), and a single color for the fork (black clamps!). It would make it easier for both Cannondale and us.

mtbr member
    lol first world problems

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How does that comment help anyone?

mtbr member
    it entertains the crowd. if cannondale can't help you, why would you expect help from a forum post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I kinda like the idea of sharing information, thoughts and ideas. Maybe the information muntos and I receive from Cannondale isn't the same. Personally, if I have an issue with my bike (or anything else for that matter), I'd like to know what other people did to resolve it. You know, it's kinda like avoiding having to re-invent the wheel.

Feel free to stop reading if it bothers you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    it entertains the crowd. if cannondale can't help you, why would you expect help from a forum post?
    Who said that they can't...?They don't want...so at least everybody who reads this can find what to expect from their side...

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I'm really not sure why this is such a big deal. Cannondale (Insert your country here) held up their part of the bargain. They replaced your frame with the same model. Sure it's not the color that you would like it to be, but have you thoroughly thought about this for a moment?

They warranty it with the same frame as the original or newer. IF you are in a geographical region where only one color is available... Guess what? That will end up being the color you receive. I am sure they will not go out of their way to make sure you get the same color scheme or anything else. Warranties do not work that way. The object is to get you back on the saddle ASAP. Would you rather hear that they will replace your frame whenever they get another color whether you have to wait several months to do so?
    Then imagine all the gripes on forums around the world.

So damned if they do damned if they don't.

mtbr member
    if the crack happened 12 months after you bought it, you'd be in a different model year with different colours anyway. everyone gets that you are unhappy that this happened after only a month, anyone would be! but that doesnt change the fact that you are never guaranteed the same colour. it comes up at least 5 times a year on these forums and the same responses come out every time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Cannondale - my biggest disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    if the crack happened 12 months after you bought it, you'd be in a different model year with different colours anyway. everyone gets that you are unhappy that this happened after only a month, anyone would be! but that doesnt change the fact that you are never guaranteed the same colour. it comes up at least 5 times a year on these forums and the same responses come out every time.
    Exactly, If the frame was older and not in production anymore then I wouldn't say anything, but for a frame still on sales and 1 month older..?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It sure ain't cancer, now that is a real problem.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    muntos, I think you are also missing the point that since we are heading towards the 2014 models, the 2013 models that were left over are replacements only. They will continue sending out whatever left over parts are available. If it were only in the green/white instead of the red/white then so be it. But the item sent to you is overstock. If you rode the bike until next year and brought it to their attention then, then you would have gotten a 2014 frame in whatever color combo they would have available at that said time.

Right now, you should accept it and if it fails during the course of the next few months, you will most likely get the newest frame (provided that they did not run out of their 2013 frames).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast