Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cannondale Mountain Bike Sizing Let's hear from you.

There are a lot of bike manufacturers who give you sizing guidelines by telling you the hight range for each size bike (ie: 5'6"-5'9"=L frame.) Cannondale unfortunately does not. They leave it up to your local bike shop.

Not everyone has the best bike shop in their city. Therefore, I would like to hear from everyone. Please tell us how tall you are and what size Cannondale MB you ride (and whether you are happy with the size.)

This will give people a "starting point to help them determine the right size bike for them." Not that this will be the be all end all to sizing. You should still be measured and consult with your local Cannondale bike shop. Rather, this will act as just another source to help people decide what size bike is right for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am too interested in what other people ride when it comes to the Cannondale's especially the Trail Sl3 or Trail 5. Rode both the other day a medium and large
    Don't really remember there being a big difference although I do remember the Trail 5 medium top tube was touching the jewels when I stepped over.
    I can say that the Trail Sl 3 seemed much nicer and lighter too.
    Any thoughts on some comparable bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought the Trail SL4 in LG and I am 5'10. I tried the Med but it just seemed small when I was riding it. The LG just felt right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm about 5'10" and have always rode the large frames with a short (90mm stem). I've had F-series, Rushes, Prophets and my current RZ120. My friend is slightly shorter than me and has owned a medium Prophet and RZ140. I've ridden his and they seem just fine too. I guess I'm right inbetween sizes.

No good in rock gardens..
    5' 7" and on a medium Rush. Felt a tad too long, and as it has the Lefty I couldn't swap the 100mm stem to a 90mm without considerable expense. I've put a zero setback post on it which feels just about right. It's nicely stretched out for XC and general trail riding + I'd say it's perfect.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am 6'3" and ride a Large. I've always liked my mountain frames a bit on the small side for technical riding. For straight-up XC climbs only, I would choose a XL. A lot of it depends on riding style and the type of terrain you're riding. I ride a lot of super technical trails, up and down. A frame on the smaller side is more nimble.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I forgot to add that I am 6'2" and I ride a L trail 4 29er. I had originally bought the XL, but it turned out to be too large for me. After riding the Large, I am convinced this is the best size for me. I keep having the thought that changing the stem to a 20degree rise will help place me in a better riding position as the seat is fairly high right now (much higher than the handlebars) causing me to be very hunched over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    5'-9" on a Medium RZ120.
    Fits great for me...but can make a huge difference depending on the saddle position, seatpost, and bars you have...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Rob View Post
    I am 6'3" and ride a Large. I've always liked my mountain frames a bit on the small side for technical riding. For straight-up XC climbs only, I would choose a XL. A lot of it depends on riding style and the type of terrain you're riding. I ride a lot of super technical trails, up and down. A frame on the smaller side is more nimble.
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. Also 6'3" and I ride a Large 2003 F800 (CAAD5). This bike is very nimble underneath me, and I whip through lots of tight turns like it's nobody's business…

I do get quite a bit of lower back pain on the longer rides, though, and my wrists/hands have been bugging me (though much less since I added Ergon grips). I'm thinking of getting a new OPI stem as long as I can (140mm?) when I replace my Lefty in a few weeks' (days?) time. Hopefully that'll help...

LA CHÈVRE
    Cannondale does not provide such a generic size guide because it's rubbish. A rider's height actually is only one part of the equation and different riders of the same height could fit better on different sized bikes. The length of the legs is important, the height of the torso, arms length all play an important factor as well as body types, flexibility and riding style. So a properly sized bike should take these into account, not only your height. Even a forum on the web is not the best place to get fitted if you ask me...

Also note that frame sizes have changed over the years, my 1999 CAAD4 F1000 is a large but it's geometry is closer to recent medium hardtail frames...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm considering a Scalpel and I'm 5'6". Any suggestions on size? Preliminary thoughts are a Medium based on T.T. length. I'm thinking a small would be too small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydog2003 View Post
    There are a lot of bike manufacturers who give you sizing guidelines by telling you the hight range for each size bike (ie: 5'6"-5'9"=L frame.) Cannondale unfortunately does not. They leave it up to your local bike shop.

Not everyone has the best bike shop in their city. Therefore, I would like to hear from everyone. Please tell us how tall you are and what size Cannondale MB you ride (and whether you are happy with the size.)

This will give people a "starting point to help them determine the right size bike for them." Not that this will be the be all end all to sizing. You should still be measured and consult with your local Cannondale bike shop. Rather, this will act as just another source to help people decide what size bike is right for them.
    i'm 5'9" and as far as cannondale's, i have a 2010 moto and 2011 jekyll carbon, both mediums. i have an older jekyll 800 w/lefty from 2003 as well, also a medium. it's been my experience, if you have physically tried a cannondale and it's fits perfectly, then that size will usually work with every cannondale model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    not sure of the geometry difference in the two
    did ride a trail 5 and sl3 the other day
    i'm six ft. and med didnt seem too small
    anyone ride a newer large trail or flash what sizes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    I'm considering a Scalpel and I'm 5'6". Any suggestions on size? Preliminary thoughts are a Medium based on T.T. length. I'm thinking a small would be too small.
    height is the biggest factor, sure. but, there are so many other variables that come into play, like leg length, longer torso, shorter torso, etc. some people just have longer legs then others. the key is always try one. if it's not possible to actually try a scalpel, try several other cannondale models and see what size seems to work best with the majority.

mtbr member
    5' 8" on a medium size 2009 Rize4 (rz120/140, etc). Standover is just a tad tight, but the TTL is right on the money. Actually I installed a 65mm stem and it feels a lot more stable downhill now and easier to get my butt behind the seat. My seat height is about even with the bars.
    "Got everything you need?"

New York City
    I'm 6'-0" with a 32" inseam and ride a large 2010 Flash F1. Fits me perfect!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 5'10" 31" inseam and ride a med. Rush. I rode a few from the shop near me, and most were larges, but they just felt too stretched out, the med. is perfect for me.

My Super V also felt best in medium

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Cannondale does not provide such a generic size guide because it's rubbish. A rider's height actually is only one part of the equation and different riders of the same height could fit better on different sized bikes. The length of the legs is important, the height of the torso, arms length all play an important factor as well as body types, flexibility and riding style. So a properly sized bike should take these into account, not only your height. Even a forum on the web is not the best place to get fitted if you ask me...

Also note that frame sizes have changed over the years, my 1999 CAAD4 F1000 is a large but it's geometry is closer to recent medium hardtail frames...
    You're right. It's just nice to see what other people are getting and whether they are happy with their sizing choice or not. It gives some additional insight to help people make the right choice, especially when they are in between sizes and agonizing over their decision. I was in that predicament.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i'm 183cm tall and I ride M-size Rize with 120mm stem and M-size Flash with 110mm stem.

mtbr member
    6'6'' Flash 29 XL (52.5cm seat tube, 64cm top tube, 13.xcm head tube, 460mm seatpost).

Perfect XC fit. I even considered removing the spacers from under the OPI stem. Pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hanklr View Post
    height is the biggest factor, sure. but, there are so many other variables that come into play, like leg length, longer torso, shorter torso, etc. some people just have longer legs then others. the key is always try one. if it's not possible to actually try a scalpel, try several other cannondale models and see what size seems to work best with the majority.
    Totally agree I'm just looking for some experiences from other riders. I typically analyze the geometry spec.'s and make my decision from there based on my past experience. Both my current bikes have a 23" T.T. which is identical to the Med. Scalpel. That being said once and a while you find a manufacturer who's bikes don't seem to jive with their spec.'s so it's nice to hear from other users. Especially since this will be the first C'dale that I've owned.

mtbr member
    I am a proportional 6'2 195. Large 2010 scalpel may be just a tad small but not by much. Have yet to try an XL so can't say for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6' 1" wit a 36" and I ride an xl trail sl4 I rode a large marin for awhile and i could tell it was way to small. I am very satisfied with the size

Frequent Crasher
    I am 5'9.5" and generally ride a Medium in MTB's from Cannondale. The only bike from them that was too small was a Chase which I should have gotten a Large.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

Music & Bikes
    I'm 6'2" and I ride a Large 1FG

Rohloff'd and Lefty-fied
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast