Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    62

    Cannondale Mountain Bike Sizing Let's hear from you.

    There are a lot of bike manufacturers who give you sizing guidelines by telling you the hight range for each size bike (ie: 5'6"-5'9"=L frame.) Cannondale unfortunately does not. They leave it up to your local bike shop.

    Not everyone has the best bike shop in their city. Therefore, I would like to hear from everyone. Please tell us how tall you are and what size Cannondale MB you ride (and whether you are happy with the size.)

    This will give people a "starting point to help them determine the right size bike for them." Not that this will be the be all end all to sizing. You should still be measured and consult with your local Cannondale bike shop. Rather, this will act as just another source to help people decide what size bike is right for them.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18
    I am too interested in what other people ride when it comes to the Cannondale's especially the Trail Sl3 or Trail 5. Rode both the other day a medium and large
    Don't really remember there being a big difference although I do remember the Trail 5 medium top tube was touching the jewels when I stepped over.
    I can say that the Trail Sl 3 seemed much nicer and lighter too.
    Any thoughts on some comparable bikes?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    I bought the Trail SL4 in LG and I am 5'10. I tried the Med but it just seemed small when I was riding it. The LG just felt right.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    502
    I'm about 5'10" and have always rode the large frames with a short (90mm stem). I've had F-series, Rushes, Prophets and my current RZ120. My friend is slightly shorter than me and has owned a medium Prophet and RZ140. I've ridden his and they seem just fine too. I guess I'm right inbetween sizes.

  5. #5
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,835
    5' 7" and on a medium Rush. Felt a tad too long, and as it has the Lefty I couldn't swap the 100mm stem to a 90mm without considerable expense. I've put a zero setback post on it which feels just about right. It's nicely stretched out for XC and general trail riding + I'd say it's perfect.
    Less isn't MOAR

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    93
    I am 6'3" and ride a Large. I've always liked my mountain frames a bit on the small side for technical riding. For straight-up XC climbs only, I would choose a XL. A lot of it depends on riding style and the type of terrain you're riding. I ride a lot of super technical trails, up and down. A frame on the smaller side is more nimble.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    62
    I forgot to add that I am 6'2" and I ride a L trail 4 29er. I had originally bought the XL, but it turned out to be too large for me. After riding the Large, I am convinced this is the best size for me. I keep having the thought that changing the stem to a 20degree rise will help place me in a better riding position as the seat is fairly high right now (much higher than the handlebars) causing me to be very hunched over.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    825
    5'-9" on a Medium RZ120.
    Fits great for me...but can make a huge difference depending on the saddle position, seatpost, and bars you have...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Rob View Post
    I am 6'3" and ride a Large. I've always liked my mountain frames a bit on the small side for technical riding. For straight-up XC climbs only, I would choose a XL. A lot of it depends on riding style and the type of terrain you're riding. I ride a lot of super technical trails, up and down. A frame on the smaller side is more nimble.
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. Also 6'3" and I ride a Large 2003 F800 (CAAD5). This bike is very nimble underneath me, and I whip through lots of tight turns like it's nobody's business…

    I do get quite a bit of lower back pain on the longer rides, though, and my wrists/hands have been bugging me (though much less since I added Ergon grips). I'm thinking of getting a new OPI stem as long as I can (140mm?) when I replace my Lefty in a few weeks' (days?) time. Hopefully that'll help...

  10. #10
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Cannondale does not provide such a generic size guide because it's rubbish. A rider's height actually is only one part of the equation and different riders of the same height could fit better on different sized bikes. The length of the legs is important, the height of the torso, arms length all play an important factor as well as body types, flexibility and riding style. So a properly sized bike should take these into account, not only your height. Even a forum on the web is not the best place to get fitted if you ask me...

    Also note that frame sizes have changed over the years, my 1999 CAAD4 F1000 is a large but it's geometry is closer to recent medium hardtail frames...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    I'm considering a Scalpel and I'm 5'6". Any suggestions on size? Preliminary thoughts are a Medium based on T.T. length. I'm thinking a small would be too small.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydog2003 View Post
    There are a lot of bike manufacturers who give you sizing guidelines by telling you the hight range for each size bike (ie: 5'6"-5'9"=L frame.) Cannondale unfortunately does not. They leave it up to your local bike shop.

    Not everyone has the best bike shop in their city. Therefore, I would like to hear from everyone. Please tell us how tall you are and what size Cannondale MB you ride (and whether you are happy with the size.)

    This will give people a "starting point to help them determine the right size bike for them." Not that this will be the be all end all to sizing. You should still be measured and consult with your local Cannondale bike shop. Rather, this will act as just another source to help people decide what size bike is right for them.
    i'm 5'9" and as far as cannondale's, i have a 2010 moto and 2011 jekyll carbon, both mediums. i have an older jekyll 800 w/lefty from 2003 as well, also a medium. it's been my experience, if you have physically tried a cannondale and it's fits perfectly, then that size will usually work with every cannondale model.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18
    not sure of the geometry difference in the two
    did ride a trail 5 and sl3 the other day
    i'm six ft. and med didnt seem too small
    anyone ride a newer large trail or flash what sizes?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    I'm considering a Scalpel and I'm 5'6". Any suggestions on size? Preliminary thoughts are a Medium based on T.T. length. I'm thinking a small would be too small.
    height is the biggest factor, sure. but, there are so many other variables that come into play, like leg length, longer torso, shorter torso, etc. some people just have longer legs then others. the key is always try one. if it's not possible to actually try a scalpel, try several other cannondale models and see what size seems to work best with the majority.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    5' 8" on a medium size 2009 Rize4 (rz120/140, etc). Standover is just a tad tight, but the TTL is right on the money. Actually I installed a 65mm stem and it feels a lot more stable downhill now and easier to get my butt behind the seat. My seat height is about even with the bars.
    "Got everything you need?"

  16. #16
    New York City
    Reputation: Arby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    267
    I'm 6'-0" with a 32" inseam and ride a large 2010 Flash F1. Fits me perfect!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    67
    I'm 5'10" 31" inseam and ride a med. Rush. I rode a few from the shop near me, and most were larges, but they just felt too stretched out, the med. is perfect for me.

    My Super V also felt best in medium

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    62

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Cannondale does not provide such a generic size guide because it's rubbish. A rider's height actually is only one part of the equation and different riders of the same height could fit better on different sized bikes. The length of the legs is important, the height of the torso, arms length all play an important factor as well as body types, flexibility and riding style. So a properly sized bike should take these into account, not only your height. Even a forum on the web is not the best place to get fitted if you ask me...

    Also note that frame sizes have changed over the years, my 1999 CAAD4 F1000 is a large but it's geometry is closer to recent medium hardtail frames...
    You're right. It's just nice to see what other people are getting and whether they are happy with their sizing choice or not. It gives some additional insight to help people make the right choice, especially when they are in between sizes and agonizing over their decision. I was in that predicament.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    110
    i'm 183cm tall and I ride M-size Rize with 120mm stem and M-size Flash with 110mm stem.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Midgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    210
    6'6'' Flash 29 XL (52.5cm seat tube, 64cm top tube, 13.xcm head tube, 460mm seatpost).

    Perfect XC fit. I even considered removing the spacers from under the OPI stem. Pics

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by hanklr View Post
    height is the biggest factor, sure. but, there are so many other variables that come into play, like leg length, longer torso, shorter torso, etc. some people just have longer legs then others. the key is always try one. if it's not possible to actually try a scalpel, try several other cannondale models and see what size seems to work best with the majority.
    Totally agree I'm just looking for some experiences from other riders. I typically analyze the geometry spec.'s and make my decision from there based on my past experience. Both my current bikes have a 23" T.T. which is identical to the Med. Scalpel. That being said once and a while you find a manufacturer who's bikes don't seem to jive with their spec.'s so it's nice to hear from other users. Especially since this will be the first C'dale that I've owned.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: turnerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186
    I am a proportional 6'2 195. Large 2010 scalpel may be just a tad small but not by much. Have yet to try an XL so can't say for sure.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    I'm 6' 1" wit a 36" and I ride an xl trail sl4 I rode a large marin for awhile and i could tell it was way to small. I am very satisfied with the size

  24. #24
    Frequent Crasher
    Reputation: SuperBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    516
    I am 5'9.5" and generally ride a Medium in MTB's from Cannondale. The only bike from them that was too small was a Chase which I should have gotten a Large.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

  25. #25
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    964
    I'm 6'2" and I ride a Large 1FG

    Rohloff'd and Lefty-fied
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    48
    I am 6'1 240 about a 32" inseam and I ride a 2010 F2. Feels really good to ride, no fit issues at all.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    125
    I've always thought that recent CDales came short in the top tube relative to other bikes(could be wrong). I'm 6' even, with the scalpel and rush having bent top tubes I am definitively a large. Large rush was the best fitting bike I ever rode, just perfect. Had a medium gemini which was also OK for more DH-orientated stuff. Saying that I tested an old jekyll in large (bit of a gate by modern standards) and my sack was practically on the top tube.

    Currently taking a break from CDale until the Jekyll gets sorted and riding UK hardtails (cotic, on one). These feel much longer in the top tube, which somewhat annoyingly puts me between sizes. My med BFe is good as a big trail bike but the med scandal is a bit too small for long xc rides.

  28. #28
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,947
    6'.1" with a 33" inseam on a L Rush.
    XL Rize feels waaaaayyy better, but I'm not buying a new bike just yet.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  29. #29
    Norðwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    I ride a Cannondale F6 (2009), the frame is medium and I'm 5'7 / 171cm.
    The frame gives me some standover height, but only an inch or two / 3-4cm, which imho is fine.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    5'10" - Medium Cannondales

    Previous/Current bike included

    -'07 Rush
    -'10 Flash 29er
    -11 CAADX Cyclocross (54)

    When I had my fit done at the shop, the fit tech. said that I have much longer legs than most who are 5'10". Because of this I have a fairly short torso, which means that I need the top tube of the medium, but could ride a large with a shorter stem. I prefer the medium, but it requires me to run a 410mm Thomson seatpost almost maxed out on the mountain bikes.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17
    6.2 long legs large Trial sl2 29er

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 220CROSSFIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    5' 8" on a medium size 2009 Rize4 (rz120/140, etc). Standover is just a tad tight, but the TTL is right on the money. Actually I installed a 65mm stem and it feels a lot more stable downhill now and easier to get my butt behind the seat. My seat height is about even with the bars.
    Ditto I'm 5'8 on a med rize, even shorter stem 45mm! I run an adjustable seat post so I can get it out of the way when I need to

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17
    5-11" 32" inseam LG frame Flash fits great, medium was just a bit too cramped

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dyusem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    99
    5'11", 33" inseam, 170lbs and I ride a large Caffeine 2009 F3 which turns in just about as fast as a 911
    Last edited by dyusem; 12-18-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29
    2011 scalpel 3 XL
    6 foot 2 inches 230 lb 36 inch inseam. 47 years old.
    Would like a xxl to keep the seat more close to the handlebar height. Right now the seat is about 7 maybe 8 inches higher, After a three hour ride suffer back aches and sleepy hands.

    Open to suggestions.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6
    6' 3" and I ride an XL Flash 29'er. If I weren't a MTB newb and planned to do anything other than XC trails and big climbs that I'm doing now, I'd have considered a L for a bit more nimble feel.

  37. #37
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriot View Post
    2011 scalpel 3 XL
    6 foot 2 inches 230 lb 36 inch inseam. 47 years old.
    Would like a xxl to keep the seat more close to the handlebar height. Right now the seat is about 7 maybe 8 inches higher, After a three hour ride suffer back aches and sleepy hands.

    Open to suggestions.
    Higher, steeper stem? Handlebar with more rise?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Higher, steeper stem? Handlebar with more rise?
    Sounds great to me! The Scalpel XL comes with the 1A702 handlebar (20mm rise 9 degree backsweep & 680mm width) and the HeadShock stem

    Any suggestions on third party handlebars/stems with more exagerated numbers?

    I apologize to deputydog2003 if you feel that I am taking this blog off track...

    Regards, Expatriot.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: irideiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    140
    I'm 6'3"

    2009 F4 Caffeine XL frame
    1997 M700 XL frame

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    117
    5'11" and went from a large scalpel to a medium flash 29er. Should have stuck with large. I run the flash with a 110/-5 stem and the seat as far back as I can, with a lot of seat post. Medium works but next bike will be back to large.

  41. #41
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    949
    6', with a long back and short legs (32" inseam). Large RZ 120.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 220CROSSFIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    5' 8" on a medium size 2009 Rize4 (rz120/140, etc). Standover is just a tad tight, but the TTL is right on the money. Actually I installed a 65mm stem and it feels a lot more stable downhill now and easier to get my butt behind the seat. My seat height is about even with the bars.
    Ditto, 5'8 on an 09 rize4 55mm stem. Ride with the seat just below bars as I'm set up more for all mountain.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,063
    I am 5' 9.5" tall with a 31-32" inseam, and I ride a medium 2009 Rize 3, 90mm, 5° stem. My roadie is a medium as well, a 56cm Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5.

    My son has a large 2007 Rush 3 with 120mm, 5° stem, he's 6' 0.5", 34" inseam. He doesn't ride enough though for me to be 100% certain it is big enough for him though.

    The large Rush is too big for me on trails with that stem but it does cruise nice for me when I rode it on a forest service road trip this fall.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    118
    5 feet 11" ( 180 cm ) here
    L flash 2010 carbon , 100 mm , + 6 deg. rise stem
    L rush 2006 , 90 mm , + 6 deg. rise stem

  45. #45
    JLSF20
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    15
    I'm 6'2 and ride XL 2008 Rush and L 2010 Flash.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    6' tall with a 31" inseam riding a medium Flash 3.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannondale Named Official Bike Sponsor for Highland Mountain Bike Park
    By woodsguy in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
  3. Cannondale bike sizing help
    By skewe in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
  4. Sizing On New Cannondale Mountain Bikes
    By YB1 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •