Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Cannondale makes good on OPI Stem on Flash '29er 1

I'm happy to report that my Flash '29er 1 is now sporting the originally advertised OPI stem, after shipping with the lesser "C1 HeadShock" 2-piece in late December. This swop-out was the subject of some discussion on the boards.

I'm not sure whether Cannondale changed the specs mid-stream or if they mistakenly advertised the OPI stem in their catelog and on-line. (They advertised it online as OPI from their first announcement of 2011 models until sometime in January 2011 when they changed it to the C1.) In any event, when I pointed out the issue to my shop they immediately contaced Cannondale and secured the replacement.

It too about 7 weeks to get the part, which is fine with me. Bottom line--happy camper...

BEFORE

AFTER

WHOLE BIKE (Before)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike! As a matter of fact I just installed the new OPI stem on my Rize this weekend too. It's lighter and cleaner then the old XC3 stem no doubt. The installation was a bit tricky though.

mtbr member
    I just put one on my scalpel, it's sweet, I didn't find it too bad to install at all, keeping the lefty clamps and bearing seal in place was a little fiddly but no biggie.

LA CHÈVRE
    And thanks to the new ones, the old ones are dirt cheap! I bought one to lower and move the bars forward for 20$ a few weeks ago.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    And thanks to the new ones, the old ones are dirt cheap! I bought one to lower and move the bars forward for 20$ a few weeks ago.
    I know... Now I have 2 extra XC3 stems that I just let them to sit there for backups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mine is supposed to be here in the next week or so.

Have you got any trail miles on it yet? How are the wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ZERO trail miles. I've got about 2 hours on it, mostly around local roads. The trails are snow covered and gross, I can only ride weekends, and when the temperature is acceptable it's raining pretty hard. (Hoping March comes in like a lamb...)

Anyway, it does ride good locally, real smooth and deliberate, comfortable in-the-bike kind of feel--so I'm eager to get out there.

How are the wheels? I have a hard time knowing which component is contributing what to the feel, but the overall experience is good. You can move on it...

mtbr member
    Yours come with the white seat? I don't see cannondale spec'ing that one on their website anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Came white and I don't ever remember them having that on their site. Looks good though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What are your thoughts on the seat? I find it extremely uncomfortable after about 10 miles. It look cool, but comfort is starting to take precedence.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ckonegr
    What are your thoughts on the seat? I find it extremely uncomfortable after about 10 miles. It look cool, but comfort is starting to take precedence.
    I find the fit to be excellent...but it's hard. Hard seats on mountain bikes are not my thing and I'll probably change it out, although I'm going to give it a few more rides.

Shame that white won't work with my road set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How much lighter is it?

I like to store stuff in an old sock in my headtube for long rides and races.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Fizik Gobi is wicked comfy. I have ridden some of those saddles around the parking lot and they seemed comfy but sometimes it takes a few miles to get a feel. That being said I guess I will secure another Gobi for the new bike when it shows up........if it ever shows up.

New York City
    +1 on the Fizik Gobi. I love that saddle.
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    UPDATE

With several hundred miles on that Prologo X10 now I have to say I love it. Not sure if I broke it in or vice versa but it is now my most comfortable saddle. Been using a Selle Italia Flow on the road bike, so I'm not used to gel, etc.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

... and if we just ...

I swapped the original Prologo for a Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow and it was one of the best things I did for my bike.
    My but is very happy .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil
    - 2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

clamp question

Quote Originally Posted by 6guitars View Post
    I'm happy to report that my Flash '29er 1 is now sporting the originally advertised OPI stem, after shipping with the lesser "C1 HeadShock" 2-piece in late December. This swop-out was the subject of some discussion on the boards.

I'm not sure whether Cannondale changed the specs mid-stream or if they mistakenly advertised the OPI stem in their catelog and on-line. (They advertised it online as OPI from their first announcement of 2011 models until sometime in January 2011 when they changed it to the C1.) In any event, when I pointed out the issue to my shop they immediately contaced Cannondale and secured the replacement.

It too about 7 weeks to get the part, which is fine with me. Bottom line--happy camper...

BEFORE

AFTER

WHOLE BIKE (Before)

I just bought a 2013 flash carbon 29er and i came with that new style CANNONDALE OPI stem. The stem is crazy long and would prefer the clamp stle stem with a + vs the - rize. Do you know of a specific place I could purchase the clamp style stem other thatn from c'dale? Thanks

mtbr member
    Always nice to see Cannondale looking after their customers... It's stuff like this that I take into consideration when weighing up buying a new bike. I've got to get a road bike and the Cannondale Synpase is looking increasingly likely!

That's a really nice bike, I was considering getting an X10 but I don't think it's wide enough for me. I need to get a bike fit before I do anything.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Helmetless Crasher
    Is it me or does the OPI stem seem a bit flexier than a traditional stem?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    I just bought a 2013 flash carbon 29er and i came with that new style CANNONDALE OPI stem. The stem is crazy long and would prefer the clamp stle stem with a + vs the - rize. Do you know of a specific place I could purchase the clamp style stem other thatn from c'dale? Thanks
    If you really want that route, you can do it with a steer tube and older style clamp on stems. I have OPI now, so I could help you here as I don't have a use for the stems and steer tube I have. PM me
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Is it me or does the OPI stem seem a bit flexier than a traditional stem?
    I have not noticed any flex, but I have 140 mm of squish. So, it may not be able to tell.

I will say the OPI is one hell of a lot harder to install. It requires some attention to make sure it stays tight (yes, I torqued it to spec). Mine does not creak, but I'm not sure the weight reduction is worth all the hassle here.

Helmetless Crasher
    I don't feel any vertical flex. I feel torsional flex when cranking on the bars during a climb. I weigh about 220 and use 700mm bars w/ barends - so a lot of bar torque is generated.

The install IS a relative PITA.

I don't think it is the best design, either - but its "oneness" sure looks cool! LOL!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Helmetless Crasher
    Yep, Cannondale has redesigned the OPI stem to resolve the creak/flex: New 2013 Cannondale OPI Stem. Small Changes??? - Weight Weenies

The old one was a poor design. I gotta get rid of mine.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Yep, Cannondale has redesigned the OPI stem to resolve the creak/flex: New 2013 Cannondale OPI Stem. Small Changes??? - Weight Weenies

The old one was a poor design. I gotta get rid of mine.
    Well, unless I get a creak, I will keep mine for now. I should have known not to buy first generation things from Cannondale. The PBR Lefty was the same way.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Well, unless I get a creak, I will keep mine for now.

Honestly, I can deal with an occasioanl creak that can be resolved (at least temporarily) w/ some grease/anti-sieze.

Its the torsional flex that drives me crazy. I feel it and I hate it.

I wonder if the V2 OPI lower steerer tube can be retro-fitted to the V1 OPI upper stem/tube to resolve the issue?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast