Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Cannondale Lifetime Warranty: Experiences, facts

Hi there,
    since Cannondale is offering lifetime warranty on their bikes, frames in particular, I was wondering what experiences you had in the past in the rare cases of a broken frame.
    Whas is easily handled and replaced, even when the frame was several years old? Or had there been discussions about „normal lifetime signs“ and therefore now warranty?

(Please note, I do not want to start a discussion if Cannondale has more warranty issues than other manufactures, just would like to understand how they are dealing with cases).

Thanks!

Music & Bikes
    Had three frames changed under the warranty , always had top notch service.
    Two of the three frame took 6-8 weeks , but I consider it normal.

I still use a CAAD5 that was warrantied from a '92 Caad3 wich was warrantied from the original M800. If that CAAD5 breaks , I'm confident that they will change it for an actual frame if I still have that '89 receipt.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Do you have to be the original owner for the warranty?

mtbr member
    From what ive read, yes you do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got a free exchange on a swingarm for my Prophet and am the original owner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by o0adam0o
    Do you have to be the original owner for the warranty?
    sure do and proof of receipt required.

The warranty is awesome, thats what keeps me buying new (from the dealer) rather than ebay or craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have had 3 broken frames with Cannondale, 2 were 7-10 years ago and they did average at best with getting me a replacement, the lat one was in October and they are awful. Poor communication, tried to stick me with a 3 year old frame instead of a new one ( the flash was a 2010 that broke) they offered a early 2008 frame as replacement, and showed total lack of respect toward me and my LBS. My LBS did go out of their way to make me happy, but they are still waiting for Cannondale to make it right for them. I now ride a Santa Cruz and cannot be happier and my back up/loaner bike is the Cannondale. Don't respect that company anymore.

T.W.O.
    I own a few C'dales only have to replace one, they were awesome. It did take sometimes but I got it replaced. The lbs charged me $100 to swap components over to the new frame.

Yes, prove of purchased is required.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, that sounds not so bad, even so I am sure there are more experiences out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    1999, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008

Those are the model year frames I had replaced under warranty without any hassle. I had a 2004 Furio that was starting to crack but it was destroyed when I was hit by a car. Also have a cracked 2009 but was able to get a new/never ridden Flash frame on Ebay that the 2009 just sits in the box.

These were all hardtails XL. The 99, 00 and 2001 frames were drive side chainstay cracks.

Mount Dora Florida
    I have a 2006 Prophet that developed a crack where the seat tube meets the bottom bracket.
    Misplaced my receipt when we moved from Colorado to Florida, I still have the manuals and warranty card just cannot locate the receipt.
    Small shop I purchased the bike from changed ownership and they claim they do not have any of the "old" records either.
    Cannondale rep said "no receipt no warranty". Offered me a RZ120 "crash replacement" frame for $1,312.00.
    I now have an S-Works Stumpjumper which I love.
    I will never purchase another Cannondale product, too bad cause I did like that Prophet.

JLSF20
    Sep 2008
    I had a right crankset arm of my Hollowgran replaced after a crack last year....after 3 months. And had a Taurine Team 08 replaced too after a crack on seatube...after 45 days my LBS runner after for me and exchange my frame even the Cannondale have replaced other....After 2 months the LBS received another frame from Cannondale.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bump...I'd like to hear more, good and bad.

mtbr member
    I had a faulty 2011 Flash (bottom bracket shell wasn't bonded to the carbon frame properly) and Cannondale swapped it out. Only took them 10 days or so. This was all done through All Terrain Cycles and CSG.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I'm in the process of having my prophet frame replaced now. The head tube\down tube weld appears to have a crack in it, but it may be a paint crack. Rather than ask for the frame back so they can inspect it to see that it is, they are sending me a 2010 rz one forty frame as a replacement no charge. That's great service IMO. The frame is taking a while to get here, but that's a customs issue getting the frame from the US into Canada, and in no way Cannondale's fault. Oh and to the poster with a Specialized frame... You can't be mad at Cannondale for you losing your receipt, I can understand being a bit angry at the shop if you bought the bike from them, I'd think they would help you out a bit... And Specialized are the same on warranty, proof of original ownership will be required.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by motobob13 View Post
    Misplaced my receipt when we moved from Colorado to Florida

I will never purchase another Cannondale product, too bad cause I did like that Prophet.
    You will feel the same way when/if you carelessly "misplace" your Specialized receipt.

I suggest you scan (digitize) all "lifetime" receipts on a computer (and backup). You also should fill out and send in the registration card so they have a record. Most big bike manufacturers make it easy to register a product online so you should not have any excuses.

Example:
    Register Your Cannondale Bike

Register Your Specialized Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    You will feel the same way when/if you carelessly "misplace" your Specialized receipt.

I suggest you scan (digitize) all "lifetime" receipts on a computer (and backup). You also should fill out and send in the registration card so they have a record. Most big bike manufacturers make it easy to register a product online so you should not have any excuses.

Example:
    Register Your Cannondale Bike

Register Your Specialized Bike
    This is the best response I've ever read on any Internet board. Short, concise, insightful, informative and helpful. Damn your good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider View Post
    1999, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008

Those are the model year frames I had replaced under warranty without any hassle. I had a 2004 Furio that was starting to crack but it was destroyed when I was hit by a car. Also have a cracked 2009 but was able to get a new/never ridden Flash frame on Ebay that the 2009 just sits in the box.

These were all hardtails XL. The 99, 00 and 2001 frames were drive side chainstay cracks.
    That's awesome that they replaced the frames but if I had that many problems with one brand there's no way I'd buy anything from them again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My LBS keeps records and knows what bike they sold to whom. I didnt need to look for my reciept or warrantee card - I DO have both on file.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    That's awesome that they replaced the frames but if I had that many problems with one brand there's no way I'd buy anything from them again.
    On the one hand it's great they replaced the frame with no hassle, and on the other hand it seems worrying that you had so many frames that needed replacing.

Are you just unlucky or do you really hammer your bikes more than the average user or do the frames have a high failure rate?

Out of interest were they all alu, carbon or ti frames, or a mix?

mtbr member
    Same as my shop. I think any warranty claim experience is heavily influenced by how good your LBS is.

Things like needing a warranty replacement of a frame or any part really are in my mind a great reason to support your LBS, and avoid buying on-line to save a buck or two (I know there are exceptions to that, calm down). I rarely buy from any other place than my LBS, so when I needed a warranty replacement, it was handled no questions asked, and I got a nice 29're on loan until my bike is back..... Only issue with that is now I want a 29er to add to the collection...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My LBS had to send my Lefty to the UK service agents (TF Tuned) after one of the bearing strips came out of the bottom of the upper leg (!). The lower leg and a few other bits were all replaced. Everything was done free under warranty. Turnaround was only a few days even with shipping. They wouldn't do anything without the warranty card though, so hold on to that!

Doesn't really test the "lifetime" thing, since the bike was only 6 months old but I'm very happy how it was dealt with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Had a Raven 2000 Super V that was ten years old, broke the seatpost brackets off and got a 2009 Rush carbon 3 sl frameset and fox rp23 shock as a replacement. My lbs kept records of my purchase, I was pleased with the service and the shop charged about 160 to swap what components would fit and install new components that I bought. Overall I was satisfied with the results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am now going to find out how good the warranty process is because i was riding today and this happened
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Lifetime Warranty: Experiences, facts-chain-stay-test.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ouch! good luck on the warranty procecss. I just got my new frame in yesterday, and picked it up last night. Got a 2010 RZ One Forty 4 as a replacement for my 2007 Prophet. only ran me $150 for the swap out including the new parts I needed to get!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast