mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Upset cannondale lefty max fault

I have had my gemini for aprox six months and have a problem with the alloy spindle on two lefty's both have no threds left. The first went after 2 weeks and took cannondale six weeks to return with out fixing leisure lakes fitted a new lefty. And this week the new lefty lost all its threads when putting on its wheel. i have had no problems with my other bikes and have had leftys for the last four years, have others had this problem.
    Last edited by markt; 04-18-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Are you talking to me?

Not a problem for Max and I.

Quote Originally Posted by markt
    I have had my gemini for aprox six months and have a problem with the alloy spindle on two lefty's both have no threds left. The first went after 2 weeks and took cannondale six weeks to return with out fixing leisure lakes fitted a new lefty. And this week the new lefty lost all its threds when putting on its wheel. i have had no problems with my other bikes and have had leftys for the last four years, have others had this problem.
    But I rarely have to remove the front wheel. I will watch out, but this sounds rare. There are not that many Lefty Max's out there, but if Cannondale is taking care of it, just be careful. Thanks for the heads up.
    gfy

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by markt
    I have had my gemini for aprox six months and have a problem with the alloy spindle on two lefty's both have no threds left. The first went after 2 weeks and took cannondale six weeks to return with out fixing leisure lakes fitted a new lefty. And this week the new lefty lost all its threds when putting on its wheel. i have had no problems with my other bikes and have had leftys for the last four years, have others had this problem.
    To say that you post is confusing is an understatement. But my best WAG would be that you're either cross threading the bolt, or seriously over tightening it. Tip: if the bolt only goes in about half a turn and then becomes much more difficult to turn, back it out and start over until you can get it to thread in easily for 4 or 5 complete turns. And if you don't have and use a torque wrench, buy one and use it. Not sure about the Max, but the regular lefty has a recommended torque of 133 inch pounds. Damion, anything to add?
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Has the self extracting bolt in your hub been replaced? And make sure you're not tightening it to 133 Ft./lbs. instead of 133 in./lbs..

Are you talking to me?

Nothing to add here.

The tourque specs are the same from Lefty to Lefty. As usual, jcw, we are on the same page.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

as above

i have had leftys for four years and have had no problems with them.
    But this new lefty max the first one the wheel was being taken off not on when it lost its threads. I contacted cannondale and thay responded ho yes we have had others do that.
    The latest lefty just went on with no effort and did not stop just kept turning. The lefty hub was replaced with a polished one just after the new max it was fitted. When i asked the shop if others have reported this problem i was told that four other lefty's have been returned in this condition. (as the new lefty is alloy and the bolt metal and you add water then this may explain the gray gunk that i kept finding in around the threads) I remove the wheel for each ride aprox 30 times. This latest lefty may be a big problem for cannondale as people may not remove the wheel as meny times as i did.
    Last edited by markt; 04-18-2004 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mark,

Are you still having this problem with your fork? A running change was made on alloy spindle Leftys to use a steel helicoil instead of the aluminum threads. This can be done as a retro fit in the factory tech room at Cannondale. It sounds like this would fix your issues.

Keep in contact if there is anything I can do to help.

James

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanx

i have just got off the phone to cannondale and the lefty will be sent back for the retro fit.
    Nice of cannondale to keep this quiet.

Are you talking to me?

Greetings, James.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Mark,

Are you still having this problem with your fork? A running change was made on alloy spindle Leftys to use a steel helicoil instead of the aluminum threads. This can be done as a retro fit in the factory tech room at Cannondale. It sounds like this would fix your issues.

Keep in contact if there is anything I can do to help.

James
    Nice to have someone from the big C stopping in. Thanks for the input. I also have a Lefty Max from 2003. Can I tell by the serial # if I need this Helicoil job done? Perhaps by th model year?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damion,

The easiest way to tell is to take your wheel off and see if you have a heli coil (which looks like a coil of wire, of course) in there. It will be a different color from the anno Al of the spindle and will just have the coils, no lead in chamfer.

James

Are you talking to me?

Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Damion,

The easiest way to tell is to take your wheel off and see if you have a heli coil (which looks like a coil of wire, of course) in there. It will be a different color from the anno Al of the spindle and will just have the coils, no lead in chamfer.

James
    I knew that. Not thinking right today.
    This is good to know. There have only been 3-4 Maxes sold in Alaska in the last year or so. Can my shop get the helicoil kit from Cannondale and do the install ourselves at the shop? If so, can you provide me with the part #?I work at The Bicycle Shop in Anchorage, an authorized Cannondale dealer, and we have a headshock tech on site. Thanks for the input.
    gfy