mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Cannondale Lefty Frame Size Question

I'm new to riding MTB and I recently picked up an XL Cannondale Caffeine with a Lefty Fork. I'm 6'1 and the frame fits, but I think I would be more comfortable on a Large frame. I like all of the components on the bike right now and ideally I'd like to swap frames. If I purchased a new Cannondale frame, say a Flash or something that is commonly used with a Lefty fork, would I also need to get a new Lefty for the smaller sized frame, or would I be able to use the Lefty from my XL?

Also, the Caffeine is not BB30, but the flash is. All I would need to do would be purchase a BB30 bottom bracket and then I could use my existing cranks? The Caffeine has a cool 1x9 setup on it that I really like. Thanks.

Noršwegr
    You need to use a BB30 specific crank in the Flash, /unless/ you purchase an adapter.
    If you google 'BB30 adapter' you'll find plenty of options.

Wether or not you can use the lefty from your XL depends on the clamping distance, alas I'm not sure if it's the XL that has the wider spaced clamps or not. (some clamps can be adjusted, other are bonded to the lefty)

You can easily set up a BB30 crank to be 1x9, just remove the front chainrings that you don't need, add spacers and a chainguide, voilį. If you're proficient enough to transfer all the bits yourself it shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The XL, at least in the newer Rize', etc, uses a longer SI stem. So if you are using a bonded Lefty, this might be an issue.

Happy Trails

Cannondale Lefty Frame Size Question

I am not sure about the Caffeine, but all the Scalpels use the same head tube ie the Lefty forks are interchangeable.

I'm 6-1 on a Large Scalpel and I am very happy with the fit, but I did need to switch to a higher stem (-5 degrees instead of -15 degrees).