Out riding my Scalpel

Cannondale Lefty DLR Titanium questions???

I''ve noticed when I'm riding the Lefty tops out for some reason. It only happens when I'm going uphill. Well sometimes it happens when I'm doing smooth fast singletrack. Why is this happening? Should I send it back to Cannondale in the hopes to get it fixed or get an upgraded Lefty? Tips please. Thanks.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I''ve noticed when I'm riding the Lefty tops out for some reason. It only happens when I'm going uphill. Well sometimes it happens when I'm doing smooth fast singletrack. Why is this happening? Should I send it back to Cannondale in the hopes to get it fixed or get an upgraded Lefty? Tips please. Thanks.
    Sounds like normal lefty behavior to me. I've had 3 lefty equipped bikes and they all topped out when climbing. It's a bit annoying at first, but like anything else, you get used to it, and it's a small price to pay for the awesome performance of the lefty.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Me too

I've noticed that as well. Anoying at first, but you get used to it. I think they should have put a bumper in there to get rid of it. But thats just me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my carbon elo doesn't top out but it does move around a little too much than I'd like. I weigh 165 and preload is set about 130. more rebound would fix this typical lack-of-rebound cdale valving. when I sent mine for servicing I requested more rebound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What does it mean to Top-Out?

Is it just a little noise, or is it harmful to the suspension?

just ride

Lefty Top-out

I have had several lefty's that had the same problem. Your bearings have migrated alittle and they are allowing the slider to "top-out". Once you reset your bearings this should go away, any cannondale shop should be able to do this, normally around $20

mtbr member
    May 2004
    change the negative spring to a softer one. Thats the 40mm long coil spring at the top of the air chamber.
    get a white one. it's the softer one

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    when a lefty starts to topping out (mostly happens going uphill) is time to reset the bearings. Look for the bearing reset thread in this forum.