Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 55
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maverickg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13

    Cannondale Lefty Carbon Si TopCap

    Hello . Maybe someone know , where i can buy it
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gemini6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    414
    Good luck my friend. I've seen quite a few people asking about those. Apparently they used to be available on ebay, but I've not seen them on there... Again good luck!
    ________________
    Peace on dirt,

  3. #3
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828


    i have one for 1 and 1/8 top ... not with the ugly ( my opinion ) SI writing


    and one for the normal lefty steerer tube


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Top Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap


    i have one for 1 and 1/8 top ... not with the ugly ( my opinion ) SI writing


    and one for the normal lefty steerer tube

    Hello eliflap. Where did you get your carbon top cap?? It looks pretty cool and I lost mine yesterday...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8
    Is there a trick to getting the stock cap to stay on? I lost one and now the replacement is constantly popping out. The new one seems to be a cheaper design - the original from my '08 Rush had a rubber seal and the new one just has some plastic fins that give it a snug fit.

  6. #6
    My spoon is too big!
    Reputation: medieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    881
    Why bother with a cap? It doesn't really have a purpose, other than appearance. I just gave up on it when mine fell off.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

  7. #7
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by andbolam
    Hello eliflap. Where did you get your carbon top cap?? It looks pretty cool and I lost mine yesterday...

    that one on normal lefty tube was buy from a Austrian guy in 2005

    lost his mail , try to search on facebook ... no results


    other , on the 1 and 1/8 top from Schmolcke

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qwackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    190
    I took mine of ages ago...looks kinda cooler i think....plus it freaks people out even more when they see the lefty...then a big nole in the head tube...........
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

  9. #9
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by qwackers
    I took mine of ages ago...looks kinda cooler i think....plus it freaks people out even more when they see the lefty...then a big nole in the head tube...........
    points of view ...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Glue?

    Quote Originally Posted by wthayer
    Is there a trick to getting the stock cap to stay on? I lost one and now the replacement is constantly popping out. The new one seems to be a cheaper design - the original from my '08 Rush had a rubber seal and the new one just has some plastic fins that give it a snug fit.
    If I ever get mine back, I guess I'll try some low strength glue...

    Anyone with any clue of where to buy it? None at eBay...

  11. #11
    NEPMCPMBA President
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    points of view ...
    Eliflap, why do you have one? It serves no purpose whatsoever, other than adding extra weight....

    But I think I already know the answer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    340
    If my face or head ever had to meet my stem in an awkward crash, I'd prefer it to have a cap on it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maverickg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    I wish to have one

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Not to hijack this post but how did you accomplish the 1.125 conversion? I've seen a few different sources for obtaining 1.125 steerer but am curious who's or how you did yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap


    i have one for 1 and 1/8 top ... not with the ugly ( my opinion ) SI writing


    and one for the normal lefty steerer tube


  15. #15
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Eliflap, why do you have one? It serves no purpose whatsoever, other than adding extra weight....

    But I think I already know the answer.
    5 g on 7600 g is nothing no difference without 5 g

    a hole in a paint is a damage .... a lot of difference with or without a hole ,ask to Leonardo da Vinci why did not do the Gioconda with an hole ....

    hand to touch , mouth to taste , eye to see....

  16. #16
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Not to hijack this post but how did you accomplish the 1.125 conversion? I've seen a few different sources for obtaining 1.125 steerer but am curious who's or how you did yours.
    My 2008 SCALPEL wieghs 7.59 Kg (16.733 Lb)

  17. #17
    NEPMCPMBA President
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    5 g on 7600 g is nothing no difference without 5 g

    a hole in a paint is a damage .... a lot of difference with or without a hole ,ask to Leonardo da Vinci why did not do the Gioconda with an hole ....

    hand to touch , mouth to taste , eye to see....
    Thats what I thought. You really don't care about having a light bike, you only care that it looks light.

  18. #18
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Thats what I thought. You really don't care about having a light bike, you only care that it looks light.
    did you really think it ?

    the 0,152 % weight of my bike makes it ligth or not ????

    ... your next step suggested : taking off saddle ?


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    You can make one yourself. Cut some carbon discs and you can glue it on the stem or simply make a ring with an old pvc tube. Made my cap a couple of months ago:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxsti08
    You can make one yourself. Cut some carbon discs and you can glue it on the stem or simply make a ring with an old pvc tube. Made my cap a couple of months ago:
    Nice job I must say ... where did you get the carbon fiber from?

    Thanks for the post

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by andbolam
    Nice job I must say ... where did you get the carbon fiber from?

    Thanks for the post

    Thanks! Bought the carbon sheet from a manufacturer on Fairwheelbike's forum. Can't remember the name though.

    I've made plenty of those discs in different carbon pattern (2x2 twill and plain weave). I don't really use them anymore since i switched from the XC3 to Extralite UL3 stem.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5

    cheap top cap

    go to lowes to special fasteners. chrome metal hole plug 1 3/8 inch. Spray paint black. Works perfect.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maverickg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Very good idea Only problem for me is get a piece of carbon ... & pimp looks different as a normal - does it has any special name ?

  24. #24
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    i try to do some parts

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qwackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    points of view ...
    Exactly...its my point of view....not a criticism....

    Amyway,i thought you were trying to make a light bike removed of all unessersary weight?.....

    Point of fact.............
    Last edited by qwackers; 04-25-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

  26. #26
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    i do my light bike , happy to ride it for 200-300 km

    then, installed more grip tyres , a Ti cassette ...and so on


    i'm not King Midas ... try to found money under the sand but with no luck...

    so i must save my light parts , that wear fast , for my next rebuilt....

    am i guilty of something ? denying WW thinking ?

    no it's the reply ... my bike is still light , 7960 g ... probabily in the 3 lightest scalpels on the planet yet , if not the 1st yet...

    but more durable and stiff

    for donations to ride 365 days / year parts that wear in a whisper plese send me a PM , i will give my bank account number

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfg1999
    go to lowes to special fasteners. chrome metal hole plug 1 3/8 inch. Spray paint black. Works perfect.

    Thanks for this tip fredfg!! I just bought one and finally capped that hole. I'll either paint is black or put some carbon fiber looking vinyl on it.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    352
    No cap is the way to go, it's the perfect place to hang your glasses when you stop while out riding, so your glasses don't get all foggy.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,719
    Capless also lets you store full/empty jel packs as well

  30. #30
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Capless also lets you store full/empty jel packs as well

    and a waste disposal or a cigarette tray too...

    a hole there is so ugly ...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    and a waste disposal or a cigarette tray too...

    a hole there is so ugly ...
    But its so perfect for racing. Much easier than trying to grab something outa your rear pockets on your top.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46
    I just completed a XC race in Hong Kong. With loads of rocky technical that gave my 09 Scalpel Team a good workout, the bike performed flawlessly. Except my SI top cap popped out, never to be seen again...

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by maverickg
    Very good idea Only problem for me is get a piece of carbon ... & pimp looks different as a normal - does it has any special name ?
    You can get the carbon sheet here:

    http://www.protechcomposite.com/servlet/StoreFront

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maverickg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxsti08
    You can get the carbon sheet here:

    http://www.protechcomposite.com/servlet/StoreFront
    Thanks for link

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42
    thats the way to do it wrxsti08!
    where did you get the winged tubing you used to make yours?
    that looks like it will hold in a lot better than a plain ole piece of pvc
    maverickg i have a few small sample sheets of carbon i have left over from a project
    this project actually

    maverickg i have a piece of 3k twill .015 thick and a piece of silver texalium twill 3k 015 thick
    i can mail you one if you want. just PM me your address

  36. #36
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    i finally done !

    in the next days i am posting pictures

    placing an ad , and maybe someone is interested...

    full carbon cap : the round top , the piece inserting in Lefty steeerer tube ...all carbon

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,719
    Make lots as I'm sure you'll get a lot of requests

  38. #38
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    planned to do 10 pieces

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,719
    Unlike the stock SI cap , are these going to stay in place ?
    Pending price , I would like one .

    - Craig

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    213
    How do I get one?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by stuperV
    thats the way to do it wrxsti08!
    where did you get the winged tubing you used to make yours?
    that looks like it will hold in a lot better than a plain ole piece of pvc
    maverickg i have a few small sample sheets of carbon i have left over from a project
    this project actually

    maverickg i have a piece of 3k twill .015 thick and a piece of silver texalium twill 3k 015 thick
    i can mail you one if you want. just PM me your address
    I cutted the winged tubing from an old plastic SI top cap.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maverickg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Hi everyone, I didn't expect that the topic of Carbon Si Top Caps would be so interesting for so many people. Take care everyone, and (I'd also like to buy 2 such caps myself).

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    Just by curiousity, i've checked the weight of my carbon carbon this afternoon.

    Carbon cap (2mm thick with winged ring) 5g

    Carbon disc (2mm thick) 4g
    Attached Images Attached Images

  44. #44
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    sorry for delay

    done some pieces


    6,0 g is the average weight ( 5,5 lightest - 6,7 heaviest )

    i done them with 12 or 15mm part going inside to fit more tubes , so weight depends on it




  45. #45
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828

    ad placed



    if somebody is interested of ....



    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=34890

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wrxsti08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    111
    Nice work Eli

  47. #47
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Just wondering if anyone in the states has found a replacement cap? Mine popped off yesterday.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Anyone have a source for any replacement for this cap? Someone has to have these stupid things. There has to be lots of lefties with no cap.......

  50. #50
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    in europe i know where to buy it

    or instead, i have a carbon one ....shipped worldwide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •