mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Cannondale Jekyll 3000sx brake question

Hi, I own a 3000sx and it has coda brakes on it, the brake pads for my bike are becoming harder and harder to find, so I wanted to get a new brake system installed. My bike shop told me that they can't find anything that will fit on my bike because the rotary's have a wierd socket system or something along those lines. I don't understand a whole lot about bikes so please excuse my lack of correct terminology. But is there any type of brake that will go on my bike? I wanted hayes but my shop tells me that hayes doesn't make brakes for my bike at all. They also told me that they don't think I could put any other wheels on it besides cannondale made, but cannondale doesn't support my bike anymore.

LA CHÈVRE
    The only issue I see is your rotors (metal discs bolted to the left side of your hubs) are probably bolted to the hubs by 4 bolts instead of today's 6 bolt standard. The fork and the frame should have standard brake mounts (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

That means if you get new brakes, you will need to keep your current rotors and make sure the new brakes are designed for the same rotor diameter, you could also get 4 bolts rotors from Hope if yours are dead or if they are not the correct diameter, they still make some or can make costom rotors for you, or get new wheels or have your rims built with new spokes and 6 bolts hubs but it's much more expensive.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-07-2007 at 06:16 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I faced the same delima with my 2000 Jekyll. The original 4 bolt hubs are not supported anymore. You can buy new brake systems and just use your current wheel and rotor setup. I found a set of Shimano LX/Deore hydraulics on eBay for $115. They did not come with the rotors that I didn't need anyway. I mounted them and they appear to work OK with my old rotors. I have yet to ride the bike since its at the shop for a Lefty overhaul. Your only other choice is to buy a wheelset that supports the 6 bolt standard. Your frame however should accept the new brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Get a set of used wheels with standard 6 bolts hubs and you are all set to go again.. don't bother with the 4 bolts hubs anymore , they are already 6/7 years old and not worth you time.

You can pick up a set of 6 bolts Mavic X117 on Ebay for less then 2 bills , they have a couple listed now , go check it out.

When you get the new wheels , you can run any kind of brake money can buy.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks a lot, The guys at my shop were pretty quick to tell me to give up and deal. When I bought this bike I was pretty set on the idea of never getting another one til I brake the frame or something. So I'm glad I have some options.

mad aussie
    Sounds like the shop is looking for an excuse to sell you a new bike
    As others have stated you could use Hope 4 bolt rotors, but nothing would add new like to the Jekyll like a new wheelset and new brakes!

Kevin

mtbr member
    phillyGTA - Scythik can only use wheelsets that have a Lefty hub laced into the front .
    117 's are marginal rims at best , this is why you see a lot of them for sale .

Scythik , I just sold a set of Hayes 4 bolt rotors .
    Check with them and see if they still sell those .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ccaddy

Yes X117 is low end on Mavic line , that is why you can have them for a reasonable price , besides , and even a low end Mavic rim should still work for most rider out there.. unless you are heavy rider doing hard huck on hard ground , it should hold up just fine.

Don't know about you , but I rather spent money on something that is low end but well made and current then hunting down dead stock online everytime I need a new rotor..and we all know how long a rotor will last on a MTB.

Believe me, finding a 32 hole replacement rim is infinitely easier to find another set of 160/140 4bolts CODA rotors out there.

mtbr member
    It's not the 117's will fall completely apart on the trail but they will need more truings per year then other rims higher up the Mavic line .
    This is the PIA factor that should be considered .
    They are like some girls I know ..... higher maintenance
    Replace rotors
    Unless you crash damage them or warp them , they last seemingly forever .
    I've never had to replace rotors .
    The only hi wear rotors are Stan's aluminum ones .
    Good for a year and a half at best .

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Halfway decent Lefty wheel set, maybe $150- $200 if you're lucky. New set of Hope 4 bolt customs, $160. Known wheelset, in perfectly functional shape? Priceless.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com