mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cannondale Hollowgram Question

Hi,

i have these 2 drive side crank arms,

the non SL one is heavier, the only non SL ones ive seen tend to be Silver - what Cannondale did this come off?

LA CHÈVRE
    Non SL and black? Maybe it has been re-finished as they were all silver back then as far as I know...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    nah its brand new, never fitted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes
    nah its brand new, never fitted
    New never fitted from Cannondale?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    its never seen a bike, bought it off eBay last week, was sold as a non-drive but its drive-side

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MEBDIX:IT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cannondale made them for the special edition Black Lightning road bikes. I believe they only made 300 of them. I used to have some and sold them on ebay about 3 yrs ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This brings up a question. I just installed a brand new 2010 hollow gram crank set. I did not pay any attention to which crank arm went to either side. Is there a difference?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2008 scalpel team

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale rider 66
    This brings up a question. I just installed a brand new 2010 hollow gram crank set. I did not pay any attention to which crank arm went to either side. Is there a difference?
    Just in case you weren't kidding. You don't want the chain to have to cross your rear wheel through the spokes (it's doesn't pedal too well and the wheel doesn't spin as freely that way) so it's a good idea to install the crankset so the chainrings are on the same side as the derailleurs and the cassette, that's to your right when you are on the bike... that's assuming you sit on your bike facing forward, front of the bike is where the handlebar is... usually.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Just in case you weren't kidding. You don't want the chain to have to cross your rear wheel through the spokes (it's doesn't pedal too well and the wheel doesn't spin as freely that way) so it's a good idea to install the crankset so the chainrings are on the same side as the derailleurs and the cassette, that's to your right when you are on the bike... that's assuming you sit on your bike facing forward, front of the bike is where the handlebar is... usually.

Oh this post made me laugh my @ss off and at the same time remember my first attempt at putting a bike together. It was way back in 1995 when I was a youngin (<~~~ ) and was doing a swap over from one Haro (bmx) to a Dyno Detour. With everything put together and anxious to ride we soon discovered that the bike pedaled backwards because we installed the crankset and rear wheel backwards and everything drive related was on the left side.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Getting back to the original topic though, there seems to be a groove/channel/indentation on the SL that is not on the non-SL version. Could this difference cause the weight difference??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Hollowgram Question-img_0827.jpg  

LA CHÈVRE
    I have once tried a bike my neighbor had assembled a bit oddly: a handlebar instead of a crankset, a rear wheel on the front and a crankset instead of the handlebar. So it was a front drive, you steered and pedaled with your hands. Of course this was done on purpose and required quite some tinkering to work but we had a good day of fun!

As for the difference between the non-SL and SL Hollowgrams, the little machined groove around the mounting bolt is just one place they saved weight. The SL arms are shorter after the pedal inserts and there is much more material machined off internally. The lockring for the spider is also lighter and so are the fixing bolts...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes
    2008 scalpel team

that bike came with the SL's i know i had one.

my 07 cannondale system six 1 with the SRM came with the non-SL hollowgram cranks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You guys are a barrel of laughs and I will take that it as a no and the crank arms are identical. Couldn't see any difference between the two arms. I guess it is much easier when it comes preassembled instead of in pieces.

Since Cannondale has the unique lefty maybe they can start the lefty drive train! People would really complain about the bike pulling left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    One time we had some extra time in the shop so we installed a Lefty backwards, turned it into a Righty. Due to the design, it would only turn left, thus we called it a circle track specific bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    Reminds me of that thing:

When you turned the bars to the right, the front wheel went to the left and vice-versa... Mind games.

cannondale_rider_66: if the Hollowgrams are completely apart, you can tell the driveside arm apart from the additional threads and wave-patterned interface to mount the spider. The non-driveside is more basic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Reminds me of that thing:

When you turned the bars to the right, the front wheel went to the left and vice-versa... Mind games.

cannondale_rider_66: if the Hollowgrams are completely apart, you can tell the driveside arm apart from the additional threads and wave-patterned interface to mount the spider. The non-driveside is more basic.
    Double D's Creation!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Why would one create an opposite turning fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Useful if you have to ride a familiar trail in reverse. No relearning the nuances of every turn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleRinger
    Why would one create an opposite turning fork?
    It was a contest at interbike a few years ago. If anyone could ride a course on the bike, they would win a new Cannondale. No bikes were awarded.