mtbr member

Cannondale with Headshok Stem question

I posted this in the general section before I know about this sub forum.

I have a 1997 Cannondale F900 that I started riding again but don't like the bar position.

I was looking at either a 120 or 130mm stem with a 20D angle. I am 6'0" tall and have a 72" wingspan but a longer torso. The stock stem makes me feel like I am leaning forward too much and is tiersome. Which of these two stems would be a better choice and why? I am mainly concerned about achieving a more straight up riding position.....I may also be looking at some taller bars also.

Just a flesh wound

That'sa long stem

I put a shorter stem on my Prophet to be a bit more upright. You can use a riser bar as well. Should be able to dial it in. I don't know the original stem length you have, so can't comment on what you should go to. I started at 120mm with 5 degree and went to 80mm with 10 degree. Swept my bars a bit back as well.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the same issue with my F1000.
    I would like to find a Headshock eliminator to run conventional type forks on it too as it's a PIA to get it serviced and aired up correctly.
    Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Shortly after I bought my F700 in 1995 I bought a replacement stem from Cannondale because I felt the same way. Same length with a steeper (about 20 degrees) angle. Brought the bar up and back. Switched to riser bars that also helped. Added Ergon grips recently which are great. Not the most current technology but I really like that bike. I would like to think you can still buy those stems.

mtbr member
    I am running some specialized bars which are wider and 1" taller. They made a huge improvement but I am still looking to go with a 20deg stem and slightly shorter. The stock stem measures 140mm and I am looking at a 20deg 120mm stem. I will report back with my impressions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Grab a 110 and a 40mm+ riser bar. You'll be happy you did. Cannondale is ridiculous with their stem lengths. 120mm on a bike with a 24.5" top tube? Yikes. Ebay your stem for 40-70, and grab a set of bars that will fit. There are two standards, 28.6 and 31.8. Whatever stem you get, get the right bars.

I wouldn't go for a 20* rise stem unless you want to make it a comfort cruiser and not a mountain bike. A simple 5* rise stem with the right reach and handlebars will make you a happy boy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This thread is exactly the kind of information I needed.

Now I know the dimensions of the stem I would like, but not where or how to buy it.

I'm riding an F600. Where do I need to go to buy a replacement stem? I'm really leaning towards 80mm w/ a 20* riser (I'm commuting now, baby). I've seen ebay mentioned as well as Cannondale.

I'm pretty sure I've learned the tube diameter on these bikes is 1.5", but it also sounds like I need to be aware of handlebar dimensions.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Grab a 110 and a 40mm+ riser bar. You'll be happy you did. Cannondale is ridiculous with their stem lengths. 120mm on a bike with a 24.5" top tube? Yikes. Ebay your stem for 40-70, and grab a set of bars that will fit. There are two standards, 28.6 and 31.8. Whatever stem you get, get the right bars.

I wouldn't go for a 20* rise stem unless you want to make it a comfort cruiser and not a mountain bike. A simple 5* rise stem with the right reach and handlebars will make you a happy boy.
    OK...so I really need to get a 110mm 5* stem and some 40mm+ bars...thanks for the tip. I'll do some more eBay trolling.

Sent from the great outdoors using my Android.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good info..I'm gona try this also.

mtbr member
    Ok, I have been searching and have found a 80mmx20D and a 110mmx20D stem...with the 110mmx5D I would need new bars and sense I just purchased bars it is out. Which would be a better fit the 80 or 110? The bars I have have have a small rise around 20mm or so...any thoughts?

Just a flesh wound
    Since the riser bars made such a big difference, I would go with the 110mm. That is more than one inch closer than what you have and a little higher as well. You will notice another huge difference.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply...that is what I was leaning toward.

mtbr member
    Ok....I know this may be getting redundant but every time I talk to a bike shop I get different advice and am torn on what stem to get....I don't want to have to buy several and see what fits, this could get expensive.

Currently I have a stock stem 140mm 5D I believe. I really feel like I am stretched out and all my weight is over the front tire. Every time I hit an obstacle I feel like I am going over the bars and really have to be conscious about getting my weight back. I am considering a 110mm stem with either a 20 or 5D rise...is this a wise choice or should I go shorter? My top tube is 22.3" according to the spec..any information would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ACLakey; 11-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey...

I suggest that you stick with 5* rise, if you can, instead of 20*. The reasoning for this is that 20 degrees is pretty dramatic, and it may put you too upright to get into an aggressive stance. You can always decide to get different handlebars later, perhaps ones with 40mm rise, if you still feel like you're leaning too far forward. You can also invert a 5* stem to get a little drop, if you find you're too upright. A 20* stem is really going to be down there if you don't like the original position.

110mm is a good start. I'm guessing that your bike is a large? I think the geometry should be 23.3, and not 22.3. 22 would be a medium or small frame, and if you're 6', it'll be unrideable and you'll know it. For reference, I'm 5'11" and love to death a 23.5" eTT with a 90mm stem. I think a 23.3 and 110mm is going to be pretty similar with a little bit extra length for your added height. Remember too that wider bars are going to have the effect of stretching you out further, so if you went over 28", I'd drop another 10mm from the stem and go 100.

Here's one for $45.
    Cannondale Headshok Mountain Bike Stem Kit 110mm x 5D Black QSE110X05HS | eBay

If you have 25.4 bars, you can get a shim for about $9 from a lot of places to adapt it to a bigger stem. You want a bigger (31.8mm) stem, as there's no value in staying with the smaller standard.
    Problem Solvers Handlebar Shim 25.4 to 31.8mm with 44mm in length in Tree Fort Bikes Handlebar Accessories (cat603)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here's another suggestion, measure 110mm down your stem, and mark it with tape or something. Take your bars out of your current stem and place them right on the 110mm line. Does it feel pretty good, or still stretched out? Try it again with 100mm, and with 90. Buy the stem that feels natural. You can always lean further forward if your stem is a little short, but you can't get any further backwards. If your knees have clearance, you'll be a happy boy.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the replies, I will do some measuring and playing to get it sorted out. I am going to check the top tube length with a tape when I get home to verify the length, I was going off a spec I found online.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Make sure to measure the effective top tube length, if you can. It's a better gauge of the length of the cockpit than the actual tube length.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Excuse me ... I am interrupting your topic with my question ... but it has something in common ... Cannondale head shock fork. I have classic 26" Cr-Mo frame and if I may say old school bought in Europe 1994. Head tube is ~ 12cm (4,7 inches) long and inside hollow can be put 25.4 mm (one inch) fork axe , 70 degree head tube angle.
    I was thinking if I can put Cannondale head shock style fork inside? Customized, may bu (if original would not fit) ... who to ask ? Where to find it in Europe? Thanks a lot for answers and excuse me ,but I am new one here and do not know where to look for possible answer