mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cannondale Headshok (Super Fatty DLR) Rebuild Videos now on Youtube

Well I decided to take the plunge and rebuild a Cannondale Headshok. Easier than I expected and thought I'd share the vids with all of you if you were interested. Not a pro by any means but I did pull it off! 4 parts total. Also have a few other bike related videos out there as well (organized on the right of the main page under "Bicycle related vids"). Anyway, just thought I'd share. See link below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kPnowFLnY
    Last edited by jrighter; 05-15-2011 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is a great video. I was recently trying to find some videos for Headshoks, but couldn't find anything. There was a lot of info on the Lefty's, but not a whole lot for the Headshoks. Hopefully a mod can sticky this post in the mechanical/tech link for others to use as a resource in the future.

Well done!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks, I appreciate it! If you have access to the Castle tool it would make the job so much smoother. The angle needle nose work fine but as noted I did scratch it up a bit.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Nicely done. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thank you! I have the exact same bicycle!

mtbr member
    Thanks. Great video. If someone can only post a lefty rebuild video now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks alot for this vid man *subscribed*

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback!

Ridin' dirty!
    I guess these videos will make sure that Mendon will stay busy....
    Scary, really scary.........
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to screw up. It's not hard but it is at the same time. Again, if you are doing this I recommend you purchase the "Castle tool" if you can. So far so good on my rebuild....

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrighter
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to screw up. It's not hard but it is at the same time. Again, if you are doing this I recommend you purchase the "Castle tool" if you can. So far so good on my rebuild....
    A proper bleed might be helpful as well....with the way you showed the cartridge is doomed and will develop various oil leaks in no time....just my 0.02...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Cdale anyway you can make a vid to show us how to properly bleed the cartridge and can you explain how and why it will be doomed the way it was shown? Just curious.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwinkle
    Cdale anyway you can make a vid to show us how to properly bleed the cartridge and can you explain how and why it will be doomed the way it was shown? Just curious.
    No matter how many times you cycle the cartridge, if you just screw the cap back on without bleeding you will only compress the oil to such an extend that heat expansion from regular shock cycling will blow seals.
    Bleeding procedure should be similar to the lefty DLR2 cartridge where you actually can "suck" air bubbles out form the lower shaft assembly and set the pressure compensation piston at a specific height to allow for proper expansion of the fluid under heat.
    Mendon can surly chime in and explain it better than I can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    has anyone tried this beside the OP, and how are your fork fairing?

k1m
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I watched the videos, read several how to's, and I am completely capable of doing the rebuild job, however, I can not find the seals anywhere. Any help on where to go would be much appreciated. I blew out what I believe is the top seal (based on the fact that I have hydralic fluid running down the inside of the boot/steerer tube and upon rebound i have a "satisfying" clunk. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HERE you go. I have never ordered from them I was just being proactive so when it is time to rebuild mine I will have all my ducks in a row.
    2007 Cannondale F3

k1m
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

'97 HeadShok

Interesting Vid... My wife's bike is a '97 CAD 3 Frame, no model on the frame ???. Boot is shot, still works, but needs a teardown.

Are the internals the same as the vid, (there is no lock out "lever" just the knob on top, that regulates dampning and lock out.

Ab
    Last edited by Abendicum; 07-03-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Check out THIS and THIS. The first is for a ultra fatty dlr air cartridge, the second is for a lefty dlr; servicing is very similar to the ultra fatty and is almost dead on with the video
    2007 Cannondale F3

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I did a rebuild of my Lefty ELO last week. Could not find any documentation on bleeding the shock, even from Cannondale support. Just a flat statement of "We no longer have any documentation on that product". Albeit, this is a 2001 Lefty, but you'd think they'd still be able to provide bleed instructions.
    I seemed to successfully complete the rebuild, after about 5 hours of ride time it hasn't leaked, but the valve attached to the electric motor no longer seems to lock out. Now it's just a non-locking shock with a cool little red light and wires coming out of it.
    The bleed process was to fill the shock, cycle through full travel, fill it some more, etc etc, until no more bubble came to the top. I then filled it to the bottom of the Castle notches and started threading the top plastic seal holder in. Once it was in a few threads, I opened the bleed screw and continued closing the top cap while holding the cartridge almost horizontal with the bleed screw up. When the cap was tight, I closed the bleed screw and wiped everything off. DONE!