Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    interesting, good thought on frame only

I'm looking at the 17 habit SE as it's on closeout.

anyone know what the frame weight of the all carbon habit is compared to the one w/ the Alloy rear triangle?

My plan is to swap crankarms w/ my wifes Hollogram from her bad habit 1, put my carbon wheelset on it, my bar/stem/brakes and weight target is 28ish w/ real tires, but not sure what the frame weight penalty is for the AL rear

thx!
    W

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Well, some weights can be googled!

Full Alloy Frame Weigh: 6.65 pounds / 3020 grams Habit 4 - Frames - Bike Scale

Alloy Rear Triangle: 962 grams Cannondale Habit Alloy Rear End Triangle Swingarm Matte Black

Full Carbon Frame: 4.36 pounds / 1980 grams (med) https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...-carbon-1.html

Carbon Rear triangle will be probably close to Scalpel-SI which is 613 grams https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannond...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx!

2017 habit SE on order.

Cheers!
    w

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    thx!

2017 habit SE on order.

Cheers!
    w
    Awesome, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What would happen if you’d put a metric sized shock on a habit? There’s a metric shock that is 185x55 and the stock one on the habit is 184x44. Eye to eye there’s only 1mm difference but the stroke is 11mm longer. Is it possible to do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grynning View Post
    What would happen if you’d put a metric sized shock on a habit? There’s a metric shock that is 185x55 and the stock one on the habit is 184x44. Eye to eye there’s only 1mm difference but the stroke is 11mm longer. Is it possible to do?
    Pretty much the only way to figure that out would be to buy it and fit it to the bike. It's somethign that people use to do to older frames all the time to get more travel, but someones just gotta experiment with it first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    Pretty much the only way to figure that out would be to buy it and fit it to the bike. It's somethign that people use to do to older frames all the time to get more travel, but someones just gotta experiment with it first.
    That’s true! allthough I saw that the metric shock had a trunnion mount and I don’t think it will fit then.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    just wondering here , becasue i can't really know for sure.
    is the habit 2016 AI ( assimetrical ) ?
    just wondoering if i would like someday to change my wheels, this is kinda of important

thanks
    Sai da cama e vem para a lama !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicreducer View Post
    Hi guys,
    just wondering here , becasue i can't really know for sure.
    is the habit 2016 AI ( assimetrical ) ?
    just wondoering if i would like someday to change my wheels, this is kinda of important

thanks
    No - Habits don't have the Ai spacing on the rear end. Although, redishing the Ai wheels on an Ai bike, usually isn't that major a process.

mtbr member

Yikes!!

I was just lured into buying a leftover/new-old stock 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (alloy, not carbon) for a great price. Here are the specs:

Habit 4 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, E-Bikes - Cannondale Bicycles

Now I am reading through this thread and seeing that this bike has gone through some rather serious "growing pains". The ones that stand out are:

1) Pivot Bearings
    2) BB30
    3) Lefty 2.0

1) Pivot Bearings: I have already ordered the Enduro Max bearings, Loctite, Phil Wood waterproof grease, etc. Now I need to read through again and find out how to dislodge these bearings without doing too much damage, LOL! Is there a specific press tool I need to purchase to get these things in and out?

2) BB30: I am a little less worried about. I already have BB30 on my Cannondale Synapse road bike with 7K miles and never so much as a peep out of it.

3) Lefty 2.0: This one has me more concerned. It appears Cannondale fessed up and replaced the wave spring with a coil spring in newer designs? If mine indeed has the wave spring, how much support will I get from Cannondale this late in the game for a replacement coil spring? And how difficult is this to change out myself?

Thank you all in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Leave the pivot bearings until they they get ropy. My stock bearings lasted a year of use.

The PF30 on my Habit and F-Si have been flawless.

Lefty 2.0....eeesh. Ride it until just before the warranty expires, then get the shop, who I hope like you - to get it serviced. If its eaten itself, you should get parts replaced for free, which is a good thing, because a new lower leg is very, very expensive. At this point you may have to pay for a two spring or you can keep using the wavy washer design.

Then replace the Lefty with a Pike.

Only half kidding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Leave the pivot bearings until they they get ropy. My stock bearings lasted a year of use.

The PF30 on my Habit and F-Si have been flawless.

Lefty 2.0....eeesh. Ride it until just before the warranty expires, then get the shop, who I hope like you - to get it serviced. If its eaten itself, you should get parts replaced for free, which is a good thing, because a new lower leg is very, very expensive. At this point you may have to pay for a two spring or you can keep using the wavy washer design.

Then replace the Lefty with a Pike.

Only half kidding.
    Thanks for the reply Howards! It looks like you're saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it"? I just didn't know if I could be doing any damage to the frame or Lefty shock by operating them in compromised condition. So if I start hearing creaking or the Lefty goes.....um.....downy, I can at least finish my ride, then deal with it?

Not sure about any warranties on a 2016. The purchase was from a bike shop 200 miles away via eBay. I'm usually a good boy and buy bikes and parts from my own LBS, but this was, well, a deal too good to be true. A brand new bike $900 less than MSRP. I can't imagine a new Lefty would cost more than that, LOL! So I was a bad boy this Christmas. At least it was a shop, not a mega, mega warehouse.

Replace Lefty with Pike? I didn't think that was possible with an oversized steerer. And besides, the Lefty was one of the things that attracted me to the bike as I had heard only good things about them previously. I have three older Cannondales with their Headshok and they are all flawless.

At any rate, it will be awhile before I get to ride it as we are in a deep freeze right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I was just lured into buying a leftover/new-old stock 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (alloy, not carbon) for a great price. Here are the specs:

Habit 4 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, E-Bikes - Cannondale Bicycles

Now I am reading through this thread and seeing that this bike has gone through some rather serious "growing pains". The ones that stand out are:

1) Pivot Bearings
    2) BB30
    3) Lefty 2.0

1) Pivot Bearings: I have already ordered the Enduro Max bearings, Loctite, Phil Wood waterproof grease, etc. Now I need to read through again and find out how to dislodge these bearings without doing too much damage, LOL! Is there a specific press tool I need to purchase to get these things in and out?

2) BB30: I am a little less worried about. I already have BB30 on my Cannondale Synapse road bike with 7K miles and never so much as a peep out of it.

3) Lefty 2.0: This one has me more concerned. It appears Cannondale fessed up and replaced the wave spring with a coil spring in newer designs? If mine indeed has the wave spring, how much support will I get from Cannondale this late in the game for a replacement coil spring? And how difficult is this to change out myself?

Thank you all in advance!
    My experience from someone not very mechanic

1 - the bearings , just needed disassemble and lubed .. this will make them last longer I exchanged 2 only after 8 months of riding.. so if you disassemble and lube I can use them for a while.
    2- the BB .. no issues after 1 year and 2000kms
    3- check for the 2spring ,green sticker , maybe it's already done the upgrade , if not I do recomend do it asap .. the previous system will fail ..it's just a question when.

Regarding the pike vs the lefty .. well I do love my lefty and it's part of the reason I choose Cannondale . I had a revelation rct3 and the lefty manages to be just so much more efficient and feels much more composed and stiff.

And good luck I do love the bike it's my do it all

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet K1 através de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    A new 2016 will have the same warranty and the shop that sells it to you must honor it.

But because they are far away from you that might make things slightly harder for you. Do you have a local Cannondale dealer? They can handle warranty stuff too, but it might make them grumpy that you didn't buy from them, so bring beer.

You can fit a Pike - needs adapters but it fits.

But yeah don't fix it if it aint broke.

One tip - buy two brand new shock pumps. Put one in your trail bag, leave one at home. Only use these with the lefty and never, ever let them get dirty. That way if the inner surface of the inner leg eats itself they can't blame it on a contaminated shock pump.

Oh and another. Check the tightness of the pivot hardware after the first ride.

Otherwise have fun, it's a great bike, I love mine, but we are in winter too and everything is just wet.

You don't have to get Two Spring and it's not infallible either - so yeah don't fix if not broken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi, looking for some help/advice, I have bought a secondhand 2017 Habit Carbon 2.
    When I lift the rear of the bike off the ground, I feel a clunk (a bit like when you have a loose headset) but this appears to be coming from the rear suspension. To me it having felt all around the linkages it seems to be coming from the front shock mount bolt.
    Having read through this forum, could this be worn bearings causing this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproketjockey View Post
    Hi, looking for some help/advice, I have bought a secondhand 2017 Habit Carbon 2.
    When I lift the rear of the bike off the ground, I feel a clunk (a bit like when you have a loose headset) but this appears to be coming from the rear suspension. To me it having felt all around the linkages it seems to be coming from the front shock mount bolt.
    Having read through this forum, could this be worn bearings causing this?
    Absolutely! And not only bearings, but also axles and bushings.

Cannondle provides special kits to replace worn parts, Dr. Cannondale website has basically full inventory of what you may need.

Lower headset bearing does not last long as well, but you will have to remove the Lefty fork for such inspection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Will take a look at the website for spares, is this a common problem, have read that there are better bearings out there to replace the Cannondale ones with. Anyone have the details on these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Cannondale Habit

Hi, thanks for the reply. Will take a look at the website for spares, is this a common problem, have read that there are better bearings out there to replace the Cannondale ones with. Anyone have the details on these?
    From what I read from the earlier posts, some guys swear by enduro bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Other manufacturers like Specialized or Scott usually design additional dust caps over bearings, Cannondale on the over hand does not, be it lower headset bearing or linkage points. And this is the reason why bearing life is relatively poor. Look at my previous posts in this thread on this subject. Just purchase Cannondale KP169 bearing press and some cheap bearings and replace when needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post
    Other manufacturers like Specialized or Scott usually design additional dust caps over bearings, Cannondale on the over hand does not, be it lower headset bearing or linkage points. And this is the reason why bearing life is relatively poor. Look at my previous posts in this thread on this subject. Just purchase Cannondale KP169 bearing press and some cheap bearings and replace when needed.
    Will this press work for the Habit pivot bearings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Having had my habit carbon 2 stored for a few weeks hung up by its front wheel the full sprint lock out on the lefty isn't locking it out, any ideas how to fix it?

mtbr member
    Having had my habit carbon 2 stored for a few weeks hung up by its front wheel the full sprint lock out on the lefty isn't locking it out, any ideas how to fix it?
    I don't believe the lock out on most of these shocks is a true lock out, but rather it just drastically reduces the travel. There is still a slight dampening.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies! I checked my Lefty fork and there is no green "2", so I assume it still has the original wave spring. I was recently in my shop when someone came in with a "sick Lefty". It would not hold air and had side-to-side play. I heard them say they would have to send it to Cannondale for repair. Howards, what do you mean by " inner surface of the inner leg eats itself"?

Yes, my shop is a Cannondale dealer and I know them well. I doubt they will be grumpy, I just have a guilt trip. They will chew me out for sure - in a friendly way. More pizza and beer coming!

mtbr member
    I don't believe the lock out on most of these shocks is a true lock out, but rather it just drastically reduces the travel. There is still a slight dampening.
    Yup.. mine just gets little bit harsher .. and on habit is not has harsh has on scalpel.. it does work for me .. reduces climbing Bob by alot

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet K1 através de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In older lefties the air spring piston was surrounded by and runs on a separate 'can' - an aluminum tube with the air valve at the bottom. This was good because the piston can damage the surface of the can if you get anything in the air spring other than air, grease and float fluid. Spec of dirt from your shock pump can get in and make a mess of things if you are unlucky.

In new lefties they removed the separate can, and now the air spring runs on the polished surface of the inner leg. This is good because...ugh no reason, and is bad because if the surface of the inner leg gets damaged you'll get air leaving the positive chamber and in to the negative chamber giving you the same symptoms as wave spring failure. Diving lefty.

The real kicker is that repairing this requires a whole new lower leg - like a CSU replacement in a normal fork. Unfortunately, a new lower leg is very expensive, as is the process of fitting it, as it requires a complete Lefty rebuild - new bearings and races.

mtbr member
    In older lefties the air spring piston was surrounded by and runs on a separate 'can' - an aluminum tube with the air valve at the bottom. This was good because the piston can damage the surface of the can if you get anything in the air spring other than air, grease and float fluid. Spec of dirt from your shock pump can get in and make a mess of things if you are unlucky.

In new lefties they removed the separate can, and now the air spring runs on the polished surface of the inner leg. This is good because...ugh no reason, and is bad because if the surface of the inner leg gets damaged you'll get air leaving the positive chamber and in to the negative chamber giving you the same symptoms as wave spring failure. Diving lefty.

The real kicker is that repairing this requires a whole new lower leg - like a CSU replacement in a normal fork. Unfortunately, a new lower leg is very expensive, as is the process of fitting it, as it requires a complete Lefty rebuild - new bearings and races.
    OUCH! This sounds really nasty. I will be sure to see that my pump is clean before airing this up. Maybe blow it out with air duster before using it? When you say expensive, are we talking $500+?

I checked my fork. It does not have the green "2" sticker, so I presume it's the old wave spring.

So your advice is, be very careful about clean shock pump and just ride the bike until the Lefty dives, then deal with it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Here is the service bulletin link, in case you haven’t seen it: Cannondale Mandatory Service Bulletins

Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season? Let your shop do the work now and enjoy the dry and warmer weather uninterrupted once it arrives.
    Last edited by GChuckyB; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:40 PM.
    2017 Scalpel-SI
    2016 F-SI
    2016 Fat CAAD 2
    1996 Trek 9800

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GChuckyB View Post
    Here is the service bulletin link, in case you haven’t seen it: Cannondale Mandatory Service Bulletins

Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season? Let your shop do the work now and enjoy the dry and warmer weather uninterrupted once it arrives.
    I'm with you.. it was the first thing , my shop did before I even ride the bike .. took one extra week but worths for not dealing with issues in mid of summer

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GChuckyB View Post
    Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season?

You have to pay for 2spring now. If that's the case in Lombard's territory then you are going to get a bill anyway - might as well just ride it until you reach the service interval (or before and it barfs) and get 2spring and a service in, in one hit.

I'd put money on the wavespring lasting 50 hours. I wouldn't put money on 2spring being any better.

mtbr member

I'd put money on the wavespring lasting 50 hours. I wouldn't put money on 2spring being any better.
    Seriously? Have you had a 2spring fail?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I’m curious on why you would have to pay for the upgrade? As i recall it was a mandatory update for a couple of models between 2016 and forward. If the bike was bought by a dealer that had the bike in stock since 2016 he still should have made the change before selling the bike.
    After the upgrade the fork fells better.

I have not had problems with bearings (yet) on my bike (habit Carbon 2)

Skickat frĺn min iPad med Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Perhaps they are feeling the pinch and want to recoup some losses by charging people for the parts(and/or labour)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep. fitted to the 130 on my Habit SE. First time out it failed. Had it replaced but haven't ridden the bike since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwish76 View Post
    I’m curious on why you would have to pay for the upgrade?
    So was I when I was told I missed the cut off by a couple of weeks when I got my 100mm 2.0 serviced.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Totally, I'm 350 hours out from 2Spring upgrade and my wife is around 300 hours out. Im am so surprised they havent failed yet, its like they spent time researching a fix for an issue or something...

**Insert sarcasm sign here**

mtbr member
    So was I when I was told I missed the cut off by a couple of weeks when I got my 100mm 2.0 serviced.
    Cut off? As in warranty, or time since the recall?

mtbr member

I'd confirm something similar to that, after about 50-75 hours. Mine failed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Please stop this nonsense about 2Spring failing.

From my own experience problems will only come if you apply too much thick grease on the 2Spring piston head, so the thick grease will prevent the piston to close/open correctly and will not be able to equalize the chambers and the fork will just sink into its travel.

From minute 4 of official Cannondale video is a correct greasing procedure https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/213641030

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    Totally, I'm 350 hours out from 2Spring upgrade and my wife is around 300 hours out. Im am so surprised they havent failed yet, its like they spent time researching a fix for an issue or something...

**Insert sarcasm sign here**
    Excuse me?

The new 2Spring in my PBR130 failed on the first ride, four hours in. You'll forgive me if I don't have enough faith in it to *put money on it* being any better than the wave spring or the wave spring v1 fix, both of which I've used and easily made it to the 100hr service interval.

That's my experience. I appreciate its an anecdote, which is why I said *I* wouldn't put money on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Cut off? As in warranty, or time since the recall?
    In my territory - UK - there was a window of about 12 months in which the swap was without charge - which I missed by a week or so. IIRC - there was no communication from CSG UK that this was the case, but it's the UK, so kinda to be expected.

Situation might be different elsewhere, check with your dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post
    Please stop this nonsense about 2Spring failing.
    Dunno, mine was done by the pro suspension service centre in the UK that's used for warranties - it has a sound reputation both here and further afield. It was done by the same tech at the same time as my PBR100 which seems to be working fine.

It might have been the grease, like you describe, but in my situation a duff unit from the factory was apparently the cause.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Cannondale Habit

Picked up my 2017 Cannondale Bad Habit 1 on Saturday and put 10 miles on it yesterday in snow/ice/mud on WV XC trails.

Bad: considerable weight and drag in the wheels and tires versus my DT Swiss and Racing Ralph 29er setup. Not that I didn’t expect it, but I was huffing up some climbs I typically cruise up. You feel the suspension sapping away energy if you are just trying to will the bike up the hill in those high drag situations versus getting your cadence high and lower gear. Not a sprinting bike so to speak.

Good: OMG, the traction. I didn’t walk up anything yesterday which is abnormal for snow and ice. Sections that I don’t clean when it is moderately wet were easily cleaned. The grip leaning into a turn is fantastic considering the low mu trails. I’m sure on dirt it will be a blast. Once rolling, the 3” plus tires @ 15PSI seem to hold steam really well, especially over smaller obstacles that may unsettle a 2.25” tire at 25 PSI. The trail geo is a little light in the nose while climbing but pays big dividends when pointed downhill. Easily cleared the rocky section that I OTB’d 2 weeks ago and even had a little confidence to send it off a rock jump. The 5” travel made quick work of a super rocky segment that I actually hate on my 29ers. GX 1x11 drivetrain is slick shifting and gave me all the gear I needed. Brakes were solid but lacked just a little begin stroke modulation. The Lefty really sinks into the travel early on and gets stiffer and you approach full travel. Awesome small bump compliance.

Verdict: perfect compliment to my Scalpel — excelling at every place the Scalpel doesn’t. All out speed, the Scalpel is still my faster bike, but I think this is going to be my go to for group rides or anything where the trails aren’t perfect. For $2200 new, it is a hell of a value. Hopefully the frame holds up.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789