Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    interesting, good thought on frame only

I'm looking at the 17 habit SE as it's on closeout.

anyone know what the frame weight of the all carbon habit is compared to the one w/ the Alloy rear triangle?

My plan is to swap crankarms w/ my wifes Hollogram from her bad habit 1, put my carbon wheelset on it, my bar/stem/brakes and weight target is 28ish w/ real tires, but not sure what the frame weight penalty is for the AL rear

thx!
    W

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Well, some weights can be googled!

Full Alloy Frame Weigh: 6.65 pounds / 3020 grams Habit 4 - Frames - Bike Scale

Alloy Rear Triangle: 962 grams Cannondale Habit Alloy Rear End Triangle Swingarm Matte Black

Full Carbon Frame: 4.36 pounds / 1980 grams (med) https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...-carbon-1.html

Carbon Rear triangle will be probably close to Scalpel-SI which is 613 grams https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannond...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx!

2017 habit SE on order.

Cheers!
    w

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    thx!

2017 habit SE on order.

Cheers!
    w
    Awesome, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What would happen if youíd put a metric sized shock on a habit? Thereís a metric shock that is 185x55 and the stock one on the habit is 184x44. Eye to eye thereís only 1mm difference but the stroke is 11mm longer. Is it possible to do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grynning View Post
    What would happen if youíd put a metric sized shock on a habit? Thereís a metric shock that is 185x55 and the stock one on the habit is 184x44. Eye to eye thereís only 1mm difference but the stroke is 11mm longer. Is it possible to do?
    Pretty much the only way to figure that out would be to buy it and fit it to the bike. It's somethign that people use to do to older frames all the time to get more travel, but someones just gotta experiment with it first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    Pretty much the only way to figure that out would be to buy it and fit it to the bike. It's somethign that people use to do to older frames all the time to get more travel, but someones just gotta experiment with it first.
    Thatís true! allthough I saw that the metric shock had a trunnion mount and I donít think it will fit then.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    just wondering here , becasue i can't really know for sure.
    is the habit 2016 AI ( assimetrical ) ?
    just wondoering if i would like someday to change my wheels, this is kinda of important

thanks
    Sai da cama e vem para a lama !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicreducer View Post
    Hi guys,
    just wondering here , becasue i can't really know for sure.
    is the habit 2016 AI ( assimetrical ) ?
    just wondoering if i would like someday to change my wheels, this is kinda of important

thanks
    No - Habits don't have the Ai spacing on the rear end. Although, redishing the Ai wheels on an Ai bike, usually isn't that major a process.

mtbr member

Yikes!!

I was just lured into buying a leftover/new-old stock 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (alloy, not carbon) for a great price. Here are the specs:

Habit 4 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, E-Bikes - Cannondale Bicycles

Now I am reading through this thread and seeing that this bike has gone through some rather serious "growing pains". The ones that stand out are:

1) Pivot Bearings
    2) BB30
    3) Lefty 2.0

1) Pivot Bearings: I have already ordered the Enduro Max bearings, Loctite, Phil Wood waterproof grease, etc. Now I need to read through again and find out how to dislodge these bearings without doing too much damage, LOL! Is there a specific press tool I need to purchase to get these things in and out?

2) BB30: I am a little less worried about. I already have BB30 on my Cannondale Synapse road bike with 7K miles and never so much as a peep out of it.

3) Lefty 2.0: This one has me more concerned. It appears Cannondale fessed up and replaced the wave spring with a coil spring in newer designs? If mine indeed has the wave spring, how much support will I get from Cannondale this late in the game for a replacement coil spring? And how difficult is this to change out myself?

Thank you all in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Leave the pivot bearings until they they get ropy. My stock bearings lasted a year of use.

The PF30 on my Habit and F-Si have been flawless.

Lefty 2.0....eeesh. Ride it until just before the warranty expires, then get the shop, who I hope like you - to get it serviced. If its eaten itself, you should get parts replaced for free, which is a good thing, because a new lower leg is very, very expensive. At this point you may have to pay for a two spring or you can keep using the wavy washer design.

Then replace the Lefty with a Pike.

Only half kidding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Leave the pivot bearings until they they get ropy. My stock bearings lasted a year of use.

The PF30 on my Habit and F-Si have been flawless.

Lefty 2.0....eeesh. Ride it until just before the warranty expires, then get the shop, who I hope like you - to get it serviced. If its eaten itself, you should get parts replaced for free, which is a good thing, because a new lower leg is very, very expensive. At this point you may have to pay for a two spring or you can keep using the wavy washer design.

Then replace the Lefty with a Pike.

Only half kidding.
    Thanks for the reply Howards! It looks like you're saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it"? I just didn't know if I could be doing any damage to the frame or Lefty shock by operating them in compromised condition. So if I start hearing creaking or the Lefty goes.....um.....downy, I can at least finish my ride, then deal with it?

Not sure about any warranties on a 2016. The purchase was from a bike shop 200 miles away via eBay. I'm usually a good boy and buy bikes and parts from my own LBS, but this was, well, a deal too good to be true. A brand new bike $900 less than MSRP. I can't imagine a new Lefty would cost more than that, LOL! So I was a bad boy this Christmas. At least it was a shop, not a mega, mega warehouse.

Replace Lefty with Pike? I didn't think that was possible with an oversized steerer. And besides, the Lefty was one of the things that attracted me to the bike as I had heard only good things about them previously. I have three older Cannondales with their Headshok and they are all flawless.

At any rate, it will be awhile before I get to ride it as we are in a deep freeze right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I was just lured into buying a leftover/new-old stock 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (alloy, not carbon) for a great price. Here are the specs:

Habit 4 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, E-Bikes - Cannondale Bicycles

Now I am reading through this thread and seeing that this bike has gone through some rather serious "growing pains". The ones that stand out are:

1) Pivot Bearings
    2) BB30
    3) Lefty 2.0

1) Pivot Bearings: I have already ordered the Enduro Max bearings, Loctite, Phil Wood waterproof grease, etc. Now I need to read through again and find out how to dislodge these bearings without doing too much damage, LOL! Is there a specific press tool I need to purchase to get these things in and out?

2) BB30: I am a little less worried about. I already have BB30 on my Cannondale Synapse road bike with 7K miles and never so much as a peep out of it.

3) Lefty 2.0: This one has me more concerned. It appears Cannondale fessed up and replaced the wave spring with a coil spring in newer designs? If mine indeed has the wave spring, how much support will I get from Cannondale this late in the game for a replacement coil spring? And how difficult is this to change out myself?

Thank you all in advance!
    My experience from someone not very mechanic

1 - the bearings , just needed disassemble and lubed .. this will make them last longer I exchanged 2 only after 8 months of riding.. so if you disassemble and lube I can use them for a while.
    2- the BB .. no issues after 1 year and 2000kms
    3- check for the 2spring ,green sticker , maybe it's already done the upgrade , if not I do recomend do it asap .. the previous system will fail ..it's just a question when.

Regarding the pike vs the lefty .. well I do love my lefty and it's part of the reason I choose Cannondale . I had a revelation rct3 and the lefty manages to be just so much more efficient and feels much more composed and stiff.

And good luck I do love the bike it's my do it all

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet K1 atravťs de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    A new 2016 will have the same warranty and the shop that sells it to you must honor it.

But because they are far away from you that might make things slightly harder for you. Do you have a local Cannondale dealer? They can handle warranty stuff too, but it might make them grumpy that you didn't buy from them, so bring beer.

You can fit a Pike - needs adapters but it fits.

But yeah don't fix it if it aint broke.

One tip - buy two brand new shock pumps. Put one in your trail bag, leave one at home. Only use these with the lefty and never, ever let them get dirty. That way if the inner surface of the inner leg eats itself they can't blame it on a contaminated shock pump.

Oh and another. Check the tightness of the pivot hardware after the first ride.

Otherwise have fun, it's a great bike, I love mine, but we are in winter too and everything is just wet.

You don't have to get Two Spring and it's not infallible either - so yeah don't fix if not broken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi, looking for some help/advice, I have bought a secondhand 2017 Habit Carbon 2.
    When I lift the rear of the bike off the ground, I feel a clunk (a bit like when you have a loose headset) but this appears to be coming from the rear suspension. To me it having felt all around the linkages it seems to be coming from the front shock mount bolt.
    Having read through this forum, could this be worn bearings causing this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproketjockey View Post
    Hi, looking for some help/advice, I have bought a secondhand 2017 Habit Carbon 2.
    When I lift the rear of the bike off the ground, I feel a clunk (a bit like when you have a loose headset) but this appears to be coming from the rear suspension. To me it having felt all around the linkages it seems to be coming from the front shock mount bolt.
    Having read through this forum, could this be worn bearings causing this?
    Absolutely! And not only bearings, but also axles and bushings.

Cannondle provides special kits to replace worn parts, Dr. Cannondale website has basically full inventory of what you may need.

Lower headset bearing does not last long as well, but you will have to remove the Lefty fork for such inspection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Will take a look at the website for spares, is this a common problem, have read that there are better bearings out there to replace the Cannondale ones with. Anyone have the details on these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Cannondale Habit

Hi, thanks for the reply. Will take a look at the website for spares, is this a common problem, have read that there are better bearings out there to replace the Cannondale ones with. Anyone have the details on these?
    From what I read from the earlier posts, some guys swear by enduro bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Other manufacturers like Specialized or Scott usually design additional dust caps over bearings, Cannondale on the over hand does not, be it lower headset bearing or linkage points. And this is the reason why bearing life is relatively poor. Look at my previous posts in this thread on this subject. Just purchase Cannondale KP169 bearing press and some cheap bearings and replace when needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post
    Other manufacturers like Specialized or Scott usually design additional dust caps over bearings, Cannondale on the over hand does not, be it lower headset bearing or linkage points. And this is the reason why bearing life is relatively poor. Look at my previous posts in this thread on this subject. Just purchase Cannondale KP169 bearing press and some cheap bearings and replace when needed.
    Will this press work for the Habit pivot bearings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Having had my habit carbon 2 stored for a few weeks hung up by its front wheel the full sprint lock out on the lefty isn't locking it out, any ideas how to fix it?

mtbr member
    Having had my habit carbon 2 stored for a few weeks hung up by its front wheel the full sprint lock out on the lefty isn't locking it out, any ideas how to fix it?
    I don't believe the lock out on most of these shocks is a true lock out, but rather it just drastically reduces the travel. There is still a slight dampening.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies! I checked my Lefty fork and there is no green "2", so I assume it still has the original wave spring. I was recently in my shop when someone came in with a "sick Lefty". It would not hold air and had side-to-side play. I heard them say they would have to send it to Cannondale for repair. Howards, what do you mean by " inner surface of the inner leg eats itself"?

Yes, my shop is a Cannondale dealer and I know them well. I doubt they will be grumpy, I just have a guilt trip. They will chew me out for sure - in a friendly way. More pizza and beer coming!

mtbr member
    I don't believe the lock out on most of these shocks is a true lock out, but rather it just drastically reduces the travel. There is still a slight dampening.
    Yup.. mine just gets little bit harsher .. and on habit is not has harsh has on scalpel.. it does work for me .. reduces climbing Bob by alot

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet K1 atravťs de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In older lefties the air spring piston was surrounded by and runs on a separate 'can' - an aluminum tube with the air valve at the bottom. This was good because the piston can damage the surface of the can if you get anything in the air spring other than air, grease and float fluid. Spec of dirt from your shock pump can get in and make a mess of things if you are unlucky.

In new lefties they removed the separate can, and now the air spring runs on the polished surface of the inner leg. This is good because...ugh no reason, and is bad because if the surface of the inner leg gets damaged you'll get air leaving the positive chamber and in to the negative chamber giving you the same symptoms as wave spring failure. Diving lefty.

The real kicker is that repairing this requires a whole new lower leg - like a CSU replacement in a normal fork. Unfortunately, a new lower leg is very expensive, as is the process of fitting it, as it requires a complete Lefty rebuild - new bearings and races.

mtbr member
    In older lefties the air spring piston was surrounded by and runs on a separate 'can' - an aluminum tube with the air valve at the bottom. This was good because the piston can damage the surface of the can if you get anything in the air spring other than air, grease and float fluid. Spec of dirt from your shock pump can get in and make a mess of things if you are unlucky.

In new lefties they removed the separate can, and now the air spring runs on the polished surface of the inner leg. This is good because...ugh no reason, and is bad because if the surface of the inner leg gets damaged you'll get air leaving the positive chamber and in to the negative chamber giving you the same symptoms as wave spring failure. Diving lefty.

The real kicker is that repairing this requires a whole new lower leg - like a CSU replacement in a normal fork. Unfortunately, a new lower leg is very expensive, as is the process of fitting it, as it requires a complete Lefty rebuild - new bearings and races.
    OUCH! This sounds really nasty. I will be sure to see that my pump is clean before airing this up. Maybe blow it out with air duster before using it? When you say expensive, are we talking $500+?

I checked my fork. It does not have the green "2" sticker, so I presume it's the old wave spring.

So your advice is, be very careful about clean shock pump and just ride the bike until the Lefty dives, then deal with it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Here is the service bulletin link, in case you havenít seen it: Cannondale Mandatory Service Bulletins

Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season? Let your shop do the work now and enjoy the dry and warmer weather uninterrupted once it arrives.
    Last edited by GChuckyB; 01-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    2017 Scalpel-Si
    2016 Fat CAAD 2
    1996 Trek 9800

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GChuckyB View Post
    Here is the service bulletin link, in case you havenít seen it: Cannondale Mandatory Service Bulletins

Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season? Let your shop do the work now and enjoy the dry and warmer weather uninterrupted once it arrives.
    I'm with you.. it was the first thing , my shop did before I even ride the bike .. took one extra week but worths for not dealing with issues in mid of summer

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GChuckyB View Post
    Why would you wait for your fork to fail during riding season?

You have to pay for 2spring now. If that's the case in Lombard's territory then you are going to get a bill anyway - might as well just ride it until you reach the service interval (or before and it barfs) and get 2spring and a service in, in one hit.

I'd put money on the wavespring lasting 50 hours. I wouldn't put money on 2spring being any better.

mtbr member

I'd put money on the wavespring lasting 50 hours. I wouldn't put money on 2spring being any better.
    Seriously? Have you had a 2spring fail?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Iím curious on why you would have to pay for the upgrade? As i recall it was a mandatory update for a couple of models between 2016 and forward. If the bike was bought by a dealer that had the bike in stock since 2016 he still should have made the change before selling the bike.
    After the upgrade the fork fells better.

I have not had problems with bearings (yet) on my bike (habit Carbon 2)

Skickat frŚn min iPad med Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Perhaps they are feeling the pinch and want to recoup some losses by charging people for the parts(and/or labour)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep. fitted to the 130 on my Habit SE. First time out it failed. Had it replaced but haven't ridden the bike since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwish76 View Post
    Iím curious on why you would have to pay for the upgrade?
    So was I when I was told I missed the cut off by a couple of weeks when I got my 100mm 2.0 serviced.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Totally, I'm 350 hours out from 2Spring upgrade and my wife is around 300 hours out. Im am so surprised they havent failed yet, its like they spent time researching a fix for an issue or something...

**Insert sarcasm sign here**

mtbr member
    So was I when I was told I missed the cut off by a couple of weeks when I got my 100mm 2.0 serviced.
    Cut off? As in warranty, or time since the recall?

mtbr member

I'd confirm something similar to that, after about 50-75 hours. Mine failed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Please stop this nonsense about 2Spring failing.

From my own experience problems will only come if you apply too much thick grease on the 2Spring piston head, so the thick grease will prevent the piston to close/open correctly and will not be able to equalize the chambers and the fork will just sink into its travel.

From minute 4 of official Cannondale video is a correct greasing procedure https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/213641030

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    Totally, I'm 350 hours out from 2Spring upgrade and my wife is around 300 hours out. Im am so surprised they havent failed yet, its like they spent time researching a fix for an issue or something...

**Insert sarcasm sign here**
    Excuse me?

The new 2Spring in my PBR130 failed on the first ride, four hours in. You'll forgive me if I don't have enough faith in it to *put money on it* being any better than the wave spring or the wave spring v1 fix, both of which I've used and easily made it to the 100hr service interval.

That's my experience. I appreciate its an anecdote, which is why I said *I* wouldn't put money on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Cut off? As in warranty, or time since the recall?
    In my territory - UK - there was a window of about 12 months in which the swap was without charge - which I missed by a week or so. IIRC - there was no communication from CSG UK that this was the case, but it's the UK, so kinda to be expected.

Situation might be different elsewhere, check with your dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post
    Please stop this nonsense about 2Spring failing.
    Dunno, mine was done by the pro suspension service centre in the UK that's used for warranties - it has a sound reputation both here and further afield. It was done by the same tech at the same time as my PBR100 which seems to be working fine.

It might have been the grease, like you describe, but in my situation a duff unit from the factory was apparently the cause.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Cannondale Habit

Picked up my 2017 Cannondale Bad Habit 1 on Saturday and put 10 miles on it yesterday in snow/ice/mud on WV XC trails.

Bad: considerable weight and drag in the wheels and tires versus my DT Swiss and Racing Ralph 29er setup. Not that I didnít expect it, but I was huffing up some climbs I typically cruise up. You feel the suspension sapping away energy if you are just trying to will the bike up the hill in those high drag situations versus getting your cadence high and lower gear. Not a sprinting bike so to speak.

Good: OMG, the traction. I didnít walk up anything yesterday which is abnormal for snow and ice. Sections that I donít clean when it is moderately wet were easily cleaned. The grip leaning into a turn is fantastic considering the low mu trails. Iím sure on dirt it will be a blast. Once rolling, the 3Ē plus tires @ 15PSI seem to hold steam really well, especially over smaller obstacles that may unsettle a 2.25Ē tire at 25 PSI. The trail geo is a little light in the nose while climbing but pays big dividends when pointed downhill. Easily cleared the rocky section that I OTBíd 2 weeks ago and even had a little confidence to send it off a rock jump. The 5Ē travel made quick work of a super rocky segment that I actually hate on my 29ers. GX 1x11 drivetrain is slick shifting and gave me all the gear I needed. Brakes were solid but lacked just a little begin stroke modulation. The Lefty really sinks into the travel early on and gets stiffer and you approach full travel. Awesome small bump compliance.

Verdict: perfect compliment to my Scalpel ó excelling at every place the Scalpel doesnít. All out speed, the Scalpel is still my faster bike, but I think this is going to be my go to for group rides or anything where the trails arenít perfect. For $2200 new, it is a hell of a value. Hopefully the frame holds up.

mtbr member

New Habit rider in Northern Virginia

New member of the club.
    2017 Habit Carbon SE

I got a nice dealer demo bike deal.

I come from an XC marathon background and race a 2015 Scalpel. I got the Habit to ride in some of the more rugged XXC events that are becoming more common here in Virginia.

So far, I've moved my e*13 9-46T cassette and some Ergon grips over to this bike, but that's about it.

Cannondale Habit-20180127-quantico.jpg

The bike still has the original Magic Mary and Nobby Nic. After two rides I'm convinced they both have to go. Going to an Ardent (2.40) and Ardent Race (2.35). Should roll a lot better and provide a ton of volume with the WTB Frequency i29s.

Otherwise, still getting used to the suspension. Seems to take very little air pressure (about 50 psi) in the Pike to hold up my 165# at about 25% sag. On the other hand, I have 275 psi jammed in the Monarch to get at 25%. Both seem a bit extreme (or at least different that I'm used to). Also, the lack of lockout on the Pike and the 2-position switch on the Monarch are cumbersome. Has anyone installed the XLoc Full Sprint remote on their Habit?

Looking forward to dialing this one in.
    Cheers,
    _Matt
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey there Matt, I believe you're setting the Habit too much towards XC racing tune. The recommended sag is 30% from what I recall, which is more in tune to trail bikes are set to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    New member of the club.
    2017 Habit Carbon SE

I come from an XC marathon background and race a 2015 Scalpel. I got the Habit to ride in some of the more rugged XXC events that are becoming more common here in Virginia.

So far, I've moved my e*13 9-46T cassette and some Ergon grips over to this bike, but that's about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127 - Quantico.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	1180088

The bike still has the original Magic Mary and Nobby Nic. After two rides I'm convinced they both have to go. Going to an Ardent (2.40) and Ardent Race (2.35). Should roll a lot better and provide a ton of volume with the WTB Frequency i29s.

Otherwise, still getting used to the suspension. Seems to take very little air pressure (about 50 psi) in the Pike to hold up my 165# at about 25% sag. On the other hand, I have 275 psi jammed in the Monarch to get at 25%. Both seem a bit extreme (or at least different that I'm used to). Also, the lack of lockout on the Pike and the 2-position switch on the Monarch are cumbersome. Has anyone installed the XLoc Full Sprint remote on their Habit?

Cheers,
    _Matt
    My 2016 1 came with the full sprint lock out front and rear. Iíd prefer a rear pro pedal with no cables.
    I think thatís why Cannondale drop the full sprint on the Habit.

mtbr member
    New member of the club.
    2017 Habit Carbon SE

Cheers,
    _Matt
    Hey welcome , to.the club
    Well on rear I got 275 for 30% sag so it's normal.
    Regarding the tires it's personal taste I love nn and in the front I got a Hans dampf 2.35 .
    The sag should be 30% the bike has enough support to hold it.
    I do have the xlock full sprint and love it , use it alot on big climbs really feel the difference and the bike getting less Bobby

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have 2 spare derailluer hangers for the Habit...I no longer have one so I have no need for them. If anyone is interested, PM me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Anyone have good recommendations for a wheelset for the habit? Tough to find pre-built wheels for the lefty. I've looked at custom Stan's Arch MK3's laced to DT Swiss 240s. Budget is <$1000.

Anyone know the weight of the WTB i23's and stock hubs? I have the 2016 SE. Wondering how much weight saving is possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Cannondale Habit

I went with a budget build:
    Rims - Spank Oozy Trail 295
    Spokes - DT Swiss Competition
    Nipples - DT Swiss
    Hubs - Cannondale Lefty 60 (F)/Hope Pro 4 (R)

Although the rims are heavier than the Stan's Rapid 28's that came with my Habit Carbon 3, I think the spokes used as well as the rear hub(I believe the pro4 is lighter than the stock formula hub), resulted in my wheels being lighter than stock.
    Also, I reused the stock front hub, helped to keep my budget low!

Last edited by Shadow4eva; 03-07-2018 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Stans Arch MK3 wheelset is really nice. I have it on my Scalpel SE. They use the C-dale Lefty hub direct from C-dale. The Neo rear hub is really decent too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuell89 View Post
    Anyone know the weight of the WTB i23's and stock hubs? I have the 2016 SE. Wondering how much weight saving is possible.
    Hi there

I've changed stock wheels (WTB i23) on my Habit SE 2016 to Mavic Crossmax SL.
    WTB i23 are 890g for front and 1090g for rear, there is big potential for weight saving ;-)
    Mavic Crossmax wheelset weight 1480g => 500g saved!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bebert View Post
    Hi there

I've changed stock wheels (WTB i23) on my Habit SE 2016 to Mavic Crossmax SL.
    WTB i23 are 890g for front and 1090g for rear, there is big potential for weight saving ;-)
    Mavic Crossmax wheelset weight 1480g => 500g saved!
    Which is kinda fine if you want to go from a kinda burly 23mm internal trail wheelset to a weeny 19mm internal XC wheelset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Which is kinda fine if you want to go from a kinda burly 23mm internal trail wheelset to a weeny 19mm internal XC wheelset.
    for sure it's making the Habit leading to the XC side

by the way it's not obvious to feel the grip difference when the same tire is mounted on 23mm rim and on 19mm one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have two rear derailluer hangers for Habit that I no longer need because of switching to Scalpel SE. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Itís becoming some what of a beast!

Cannondale Habit-25cdf637-9c7d-4992-a219-8088bcdc6417.jpg

Sorry for the poor background, still to mutch snow in the north...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm building up a (Bad) Habit at the moment (carbon Habit rear triangle for now, have an aluminum Bad Habit rear to be able to swap back and forth). Part of my hesitation on this bike was the lack of rear travel. I took a chance and got a 7.5 x 2.0 (191mmx51mm) Cane Creek DBInline to try and increase rear travel and can confirm that with a pair of offset bushings that offset 2mm each, I effectively only increased eye to eye by 3mm but increased stroke by 7mm. With leverage ratio calculated, that should increase rear travel to right around 140mm. There is still clearance between the rocker link and the seat tube at full extension (though it's very tight) and with the Habit rear end, still has tons of tire clearance at full compression. The Bad Habit rear end should have even more clearance given the longer chainstay length.

Added: this mod on a stock build would slightly raise BB height and slightly steepen head angle. BB height on the Habits are already pretty low, and given my Northeast rocky trails, a slight increase in clearance will be acceptable (maybe even desirable). I'm also pairing this build with a traditional 140 fork that has a slightly higher axle-to-crown, also increasing bb height, but bringing head angle back to or slightly slacker than stock. Rough numbers currently show the head angle at around 67.5 and bb height at around 13.5". If only the Habit had an internal tapered headset so I could put in an angleset...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonalap View Post
    I'm building up a (Bad) Habit at the moment (carbon Habit rear triangle for now, have an aluminum Bad Habit rear to be able to swap back and forth). Part of my hesitation on this bike was the lack of rear travel. I took a chance and got a 7.5 x 2.0 (191mmx51mm) Cane Creek DBInline to try and increase rear travel and can confirm that with a pair of offset bushings that offset 2mm each, I effectively only increased eye to eye by 3mm but increased stroke by 7mm. With leverage ratio calculated, that should increase rear travel to right around 140mm. There is still clearance between the rocker link and the seat tube at full extension (though it's very tight) and with the Habit rear end, still has tons of tire clearance at full compression. The Bad Habit rear end should have even more clearance given the longer chainstay length.

Added: this mod on a stock build would slightly raise BB height and slightly steepen head angle. BB height on the Habits are already pretty low, and given my Northeast rocky trails, a slight increase in clearance will be acceptable (maybe even desirable). I'm also pairing this build with a traditional 140 fork that has a slightly higher axle-to-crown, also increasing bb height, but bringing head angle back to or slightly slacker than stock. Rough numbers currently show the head angle at around 67.5 and bb height at around 13.5". If only the Habit had an internal tapered headset so I could put in an angleset...
    Interesting! Show us some pictures. 😊 mine is currently set up with a 150 mm fork up front and the head angle comes to 66.5-ish. I think Iím lowering it to 140 mm but Iíll test it like this first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Interesting! Show us some pictures. 😊 mine is currently set up with a 150 mm fork up front and the head angle comes to 66.5-ish. I think Iím lowering it to 140 mm but Iíll test it like this first.
    Here's a few pictures of the build as it sits. Don't mind the mismatched rear triangle. I'm stripping it down to bare carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Here's a few pictures of the build as it sits. Don't mind the mismatched rear triangle. I'm stripping it down to bare carbon.

Cool! keep posting so we can see the progress!

mtbr member

Pretty cool, I didn't know that habit could handle 150mm , pretty nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Pretty cool, I didn't know that habit could handle 150mm , pretty nice

I suppose it's because the Bad Habit has more clearance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    I suppose it's because the Bad Habit has more clearance?

Well , the front should be the same, from what I could see the frame is the same only changes are in the seatstays

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well , the front should be the same, from what I could see the frame is the same only changes are in the seatstays

Oh, my bad then. This is a very interesting project, I have to admit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Attachment 1189387Cannondale Habit-habit-rim-w-tire.jpg

I got these wheels, and swapped the spec with customer service. They have been amazing to deal with. I am in Canada and didn't even get dinged for duty.
    I cannot figure out how to rotate the images. Original files are not upside down...
    I paid around $700 CAD shipped
    Spec was changed to 28/28 Black spokes, J bend powerway hubs, red. XD driver rear and lefty supermax/2.0 front. Red alloy nipples, sapim 1420 spokes.
    The rim is UD matt, 25mm id=nner 30mm outer. total weight was under list spec, 1382g for the pair. I mounted 2.6 Rocket Rons and love them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SUPE...661923340.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/lwT8SmcynUKjMpWg1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S4N2wlLqaQqh2xvk1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6obIJ28rZX7exva03

Finished building my 27.5+ rear wheel. It's an Easton ARC 45 on a DT 350 12x142 hub with a Wolftooth Boostinator spacer. Mounted a Panaracer Fat-B-Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 on it and mounted the Bad Habit swingarm on the bike to check clearance. Plenty to spare. For reference, the 12x142 Hub provided dead-on symmetrical tension on DS and NDS with the Ai-Offset rear end! Boost spacing might give you a bit more lateral bracing, but I'll take even tensioning any day of the week. It's well documented that the Fat-B-Nimbles come in well under their claimed 3.5". On the 45mm internal ARCs, casing is measuring at 3" with the tread just a hair under. We'll see what they stretch out to.

Even with the overshocked rear and plus tires, I'm still coming in around a 13.5" bb height with the 140 Fox front. That will be changing next week as I'll be switching to a 150mm 27.5+ Fox 34 that I'll probably be converting to a TALAS 130-160 air spring. That should give me nimble handling on the trails while being able to slack out for the downhills a bit. I just can't leave well enough alone. Next question...is there clearance for the Minion FBF/FBR 3.8 combo I saw at my local shop?

mtbr member
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/lwT8SmcynUKjMpWg1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S4N2wlLqaQqh2xvk1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6obIJ28rZX7exva03

Finished building my 27.5+ rear wheel. It's an Easton ARC 45 on a DT 350 12x142 hub with a Wolftooth Boostinator spacer. Mounted a Panaracer Fat-B-Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 on it and mounted the Bad Habit swingarm on the bike to check clearance. Plenty to spare. For reference, the 12x142 Hub provided dead-on symmetrical tension on DS and NDS with the Ai-Offset rear end! Boost spacing might give you a bit more lateral bracing, but I'll take even tensioning any day of the week. It's well documented that the Fat-B-Nimbles come in well under their claimed 3.5". On the 45mm internal ARCs, casing is measuring at 3" with the tread just a hair under. We'll see what they stretch out to.

Even with the overshocked rear and plus tires, I'm still coming in around a 13.5" bb height with the 140 Fox front. That will be changing next week as I'll be switching to a 150mm 27.5+ Fox 34 that I'll probably be converting to a TALAS 130-160 air spring. That should give me nimble handling on the trails while being able to slack out for the downhills a bit. I just can't leave well enough alone. Next question...is there clearance for the Minion FBF/FBR 3.8 combo I saw at my local shop?
    That is a beauty .. cool project

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Cannondale Habit-20180402_165524.jpg

Got the Fox 34 27.5+ fork on, and finished building the front wheel for the plus tires. Here's how it sits. The plus fork has a huge a2c, so I need to take it down to 150mm. Got the plus for extra tire clearance, but I'm probably limited by the rear anyways, so if anyone is trying to replicate, I'd probably recommend the regular boost 27.5, not the plus. Can clear the 3.0s with an a2c somewhere around 15mm less for equal travel.

This has bumped my bb height just above 14", which I'm not thrilled with, but if I run a bit of extra sag, plus the natural sag of plus tires at proper pressure, I'll be where I want to be for Northeast style trails. Just waiting on a shuttle bumper for the TALAS air spring to come in so I can rebuild it and switch it to 120-150 adjustment range and then I can actually put some drivetrain on this bad boy.

PS: if you can trust Linkage (and I tried to be as accurate as possible) I've got 147mm of travel in the rear with the Bad Habit chainstay. This thing should be fun when it's done!

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just got some new Carbon Wheels for my Habit 2. Its TRS Race with 27mm IW. Looking for new tyres either Forekaster 2.6WT (front) and Ardent Race 2.6WT (rear) or Nobby Nic Addix 2.6 (front)/Rocket Ron 2.6 (rear) - will 2.6 be too wide for 27mm inner? and do any of you have an opinion on the choice of tyres?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    New member of the club.
    2017 Habit Carbon SE

Cheers,
    _Matt
    How is that e*13 9-46T cassette is working for you and the Habit SE? Which one you have the RACE or the PLUS?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr elite
    2016 Cannondale Habit SE
    2017 Trek Superfly 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernest View Post
    How is that e*13 9-46T cassette is working for you and the Habit SE? Which one you have the RACE or the PLUS?
    I like the e*13 9-46T on the Habit! Since the gear ratios are wider between gears, there is a bigger cadence drop under constant power... subtle but noticeable when you switch between cassettes. However, since XC season is basically over for me and marathon season is rolling in, I moved the e*13 back to the Scalpel (and put the 10-42T back on the Habit).

Anyway, I'm "bonding" more and more with the Habit with each ride. I found I needed a wee bit more saddle height -- this may have something to do with the shorter stem. The move to the 2.4 Ardent and 2.35 Ardent Race was a huge upgrade -- it rolls so much better. And, I took the advice of several earlier and reset the sag to 30% -- I'm still messing with the compression and rebound settings.

All in all, I really do like the bike and now ride it more than the Scalpel for MTB rides. The Scalpel is pretty much a race day only bike -- or race course familiarization rides. Having both is a ridiculous luxury.

Loving life!
    _Matt

Cannondale Habit-20180310-conrob-skinny.jpg

Cannondale Habit-20180421-schaeffer-farms.jpg
    I just wanna ride...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    That purple is awesome.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Also just upgrade wheel set and tyres. Went for custom made e*thirteen TRS Race Carbon Rims (27mm IW) with Carbon Ti hubs and for tyres i put on a 2.6 Maxxis Ardent Race 3c in front and Ikon 2.35 MaxxSpeed in the rear.

I has raised my bb as the maiden trip today result in no pedalstrikes where is usual have several on the local track.

The flow is significantly improved by the added volumen and the cornering traction seems a bit better, but too early to assess that.

The above replace American Classic Wide Lighting 29,3 IW with Nobby Nic 2.25 in front and Rocket Ron 2.25 in rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone know where to get replacement suspension pivot bolts for a 2016 habit? Closest cannondale dealer is over an hour from me. I took the suspension apart to replace the bearings. What a crappy design, they're wide open to the elements. I had one blow apart a few months ago and another one just seized up.

Anyway, after replacing them I can't seem to get the inner bolts to thread together again no matter what I do. I got one to catch then it started to strip the threads when I tightened further...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi, Whathifi do you guys think.
    I ride a Habit Carbon 2 and love the bike, its fun. But i ride mostly with X-CUP riders, end attend some races also. I am thinking of tuning my bike for more X-CUP style. I have Rocket Ron tubeless 2.25 liteskin already on. I am thinking of getting a new set of wheels maybe. Stans ARch Mk3 are fitted now.
    The dropper seatpost I donít want to go without. Iīm a bit torn between getting wheels and other upgrades or just save up for a XC 29er like Scalpel SI and have that for the race days and most of the rides with groups and have this as a complement.
    I own a Hardtail that is a race machine, but figure I would go from that one to a FS instead. As it is more convenient for my back. And when one hit trails with the HT bike its crucial to have the exact right tire pressure i of speed goes up otherwise i only waste energy pedaling in the air.
    Will the Habit feel more agile and more XC like with expensive wheels or am i better of to invest in another bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwish76 View Post
    Hi, Whathifi do you guys think.
    I ride a Habit Carbon 2 and love the bike, its fun. But i ride mostly with X-CUP riders, end attend some races also. I am thinking of tuning my bike for more X-CUP style. I have Rocket Ron tubeless 2.25 liteskin already on. I am thinking of getting a new set of wheels maybe. Stans ARch Mk3 are fitted now.
    The dropper seatpost I donít want to go without. Iīm a bit torn between getting wheels and other upgrades or just save up for a XC 29er like Scalpel SI and have that for the race days and most of the rides with groups and have this as a complement.
    I own a Hardtail that is a race machine, but figure I would go from that one to a FS instead. As it is more convenient for my back. And when one hit trails with the HT bike its crucial to have the exact right tire pressure i of speed goes up otherwise i only waste energy pedaling in the air.
    Will the Habit feel more agile and more XC like with expensive wheels or am i better of to invest in another bike.
    Don't ever try to set up the Habit as an XC bike, it's designed to be ridden as a short-travel trail bike.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Don't ever try to set up the Habit as an XC bike, it's designed to be ridden as a short-travel trail bike.

Yea, that is my feeling between my BH1 and my Scalpel. They ride completely differently. I donít think Iíd enjoy XC racing on a 29eríd version of my BH1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Trying to get to the source of some annoying popping sounds on my '16 SE.

If you had problems with the pivot bearings, were they noisy when freewheeling, or just noisy under pedalling?

The pivot bearings but mine seem fine. It's silent when freewheeling or just pushing down the suspension whilst static. I took everything apart, regressed including the bearings, nice and smooth, all back together using the revised torque settings on the pivots.

But no dice.

Wondering if it's the BB. With the bike static I can push down on the crank arm and get a big click noise. If I push down again, no noise. If I wind the crank on and push on the NDS arm, again the noise.

Anyone experience this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Could be the bb like what you mentioned, I've had creaky bottom brackets ever since I've started using bb30/pf30.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The thing is.... it was silent. It's become clicky / cracky.

I have two other PF30 bikes - they are silent. They both get ridden in all weathers.

I really want to know if the people who experienced creaking pivots only got the creak when pedalling or whether they got the creak whilst freewheeling too.

I think if I find out it's the former, I'll be able to rule out the pivots.

mtbr member
    I only got cracking with pedaling .
    Changing the bearings will solve the issue , it solved mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    OK good to know, thanks. It's curious because the original bearings are still smooth.

How did you remove the main pivot bearings?

mtbr member
    It was my lbs doing it

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Heh, fair enough

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The thing is.... it was silent. It's become clicky / cracky.

I have two other PF30 bikes - they are silent. They both get ridden in all weathers.

I really want to know if the people who experienced creaking pivots only got the creak when pedalling or whether they got the creak whilst freewheeling too.

I think if I find out it's the former, I'll be able to rule out the pivots.
    Hmmm, I have encountered the creak while pedalling, I believe it's the main pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Also, is anyone using the Absolute Black chainring? I'm planning to get the direct mount none oval, but I'm worried that the 32t piece might hit the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Can someone kindly remind me what the bearings are for the 2016 frame and shocklink?

I know some used the same bearing size everywhere, some had larger bearings in the main pivot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Can someone kindly remind me what the bearings are for the 2016 frame and shocklink?

I know some used the same bearing size everywhere, some had larger bearings in the main pivot.
    6902 and 6802 if memory serves me right. Have to check the previous posts in this thread to be sure though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep - a quick thread search for those two pulls it up.

Just wondering why they would have produced two variants with different bearing sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yep - a quick thread search for those two pulls it up.

Just wondering why they would have produced two variants with different bearing sizes.
    I suppose the bigger ones are for the pivot while the smaller ones are for the linkages?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I suppose the bigger ones are for the pivot while the smaller ones are for the linkages?
    Yeah, I get why you might use two different sizes, i'm just surprised either the frame or the link design changed in production so that some of us have bikes that take bearings that are all the same size, and some of us have bikes where the bearings are different sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So I pulled the trigger and ordered a custom Angleset from Riccardo Galigani. I've seen a couple posts around the internet of his anglesets for Cannondale headtubes and I'm impressed with the final result. I went with 1.5 degrees removed (though I think he can go as far as 2.5), which brings me to a 66 degree head angle with my Fox 34 27.5+ 150 (huge 555mm A2C). Dropped the bottom bracket height by 5mm, increased reach slightly and added roughly .5 degrees of seat tube angle. I'm very happy with the effect on the bike. The high offset fork doesn't feel as twitchy, giving a lot more stability at speed. With the long chainstays of the Bad Habit, I'm still not having any difficulty with steering up technical climbs either. Next mod I need to save up for is the new OneUp dropper, as I can get the seat a little lower on the downs, but it's a zero offset clamp so I can bring the saddle a little more forward effectively making the seat tube angle a little more steep. If anyone is interested in one of these Anglesets, contact Riccardo @ Galigardo@yahoo.it for more info on his work.

Cannondale Habit-angleset.jpgCannondale Habit-angleset2-resize.jpg
    Last edited by jasonalap; 3 Days Ago at 03:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is properly bonkers. How do the angles and geo compare to the Jekyll?

How did you acquire the new swingarm? Apologies if I've missed something up thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    This is properly bonkers. How do the angles and geo compare to the Jekyll?

How did you acquire the new swingarm? Apologies if I've missed something up thread.
    The geo on this build is pretty much right in between the stock Habit/BadHabit numbers and the Jekyll.

Travel: Jekyll 170/165(130), Mine 150/140, BadHabit 120/120
    Head angle: Jekyll 65, mine 66, BadHabit 68
    Seat Tube Angle: J 75, mine 74.5ish, BH 74
    BB Height: J 349mm, mine 354, BH 334 (way too low in my opinion)
    Reach (in XL): J 495, mine 469, BH 464
    Chainstay: J 420, mine 443, BH 443 (swapping to the Habit chainstay would shorten the number to 429, but would necessitate smaller 27.5 rubber instead of the 2.8s)

I got most of the parts for this build off eBay, including the main triangle, rear triangle, Cane Creek shock, Fox fork, rims, hubs, spokes, bars, saddle...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My actual email address is galigardo@yahoo.it

Speaking of chainstay lenght, there is a way to shorten it a bit without replacing the rear triangle. Wheels Manifacturing makes an eccentric bottom bracket for single speed conversion of hardtails to regulate chain tension, eccentricity should be 7mm with a 24 mm crank spindle
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...nks-black.html
    That effectively decreases chainstay and increase reach by 7mm (the eccentric headset decreases reach by about 3mm for each degree) I made one similar for my old 26" jekyll and I now have 421mm CS and 65.8 head angle

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789