Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freak6767 View Post
    Regarding these issues:
    I also have an Habit Carbon 1.
    I also happen to work with Cannondale, which is great, because that means I get in touch with marketing, technical, and mechanic people from the C company.

I passed on the info.
    Regarding the play developing in the pivots axles, it appears that:
    While this new axles are indeed more user friendly for maintenance, they are on the other end, not so great the performance side of things, meaning, it is unfortunately "normal", to retorque them fairly often.

To prevent this, (and this should be addressed fairly soon to shops I believe), you can:
    -Proceed to a complete removal of both Pivots axles (above the BB one and the one at the shock )
    -Clean them (inspect bearing and axle)
    -Use lithium grease at each contact point
    -Use loctite (242 or 243 blue) for the threaded end of the main big axle (Part 1a on the manual)
    -Torque this axle 1.a to 3Nm (instead of the 1Nm required)
    -Torque the T25 Screw with a light drop of loctite (part #4 on the manual) to 7Nm instead of the 5Nm required on the screw itself (and even crazier than 3Nm, as specified in the manual!!)

Remember to remove the rear shock (one side of the shock is enough), when you remove the BB pivot axle.

I've been cracking noise/play free ever since.

While I agree that Cannondale are quite cheap on the brand they use for bearing (all across the range), I also think that factory setups are less acceptable, especially for the pivot axles and BB, where lack of proper grease, and correct torque, inevitably lead to play on the bike, causing premature wear and cracking noise.

Doing the above check, right after getting the bike, should considerably help the lifespan of these parts. (and hell, your own sanity without all these cracking noise! )

Hope this helps!

Apart from that, these bikes are killers!!!
    I'm having so much with the habit lately, that I need to calm down in the downhills section, as I'm clearly not on my Jekyll! (which I also cannot wait for its brand new model in September!)

So I just got our shop's first '17 Scalpel Si in and out of the box had play at the "Lokr" pivot on the swing link. Got on the horn with Tech support guy, who told me to superglue (or loctite 401) the bearings into the linkage, and then retorque everything to the manual specs of 1nm, and 3nm. I pointed out that the bolt itself says 5nm on it, not the 3nm the Scalpel Tech manual says. HE was unsure about that, but said the superglue would fix it.

I told him that doesn't sound like it is going to work for longevity's sake - as the bearing can freely move about 1-2mm laterally now - if the superglue degrades, or doesn't hold, then I'm going to have that to deal with as well. Plus if that bearing wears out, then I have a harder time getting it out, and replacements in.

Sounds like there needs to a .3-.5mm shim introduced somewhere, but yeh, I'm just a guy with a lot of years of wrenching under my belt.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Got on the horn with Tech support guy, who told me to superglue (or loctite 401) the bearings into the linkage... HE was unsure about that, but said the superglue would fix it.
    HAHA, WHAT!?

It sounds like they owe you a new frame. There is no way I would sell a bike like that.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Excellent new video just posted by Cannondale:

http://youtu.be/xOUfEZeRI8I
    It says "movie not available"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonxme4 View Post
    It says "movie not available"
    It was available 10 months ago when I first posted!

I'm sure it'll be on Cannondale's YouTube page if you have a deeper look though.

bike rider
    I've got a customer deciding between the Habit 1 and Trigger 1. The turn off with the Habit is only 120mm travel, especially in front. The potential turn off with the Trigger is weight. He's coming off a SC Blur Tr and wants a bike that encourages climbing but is capable and confidence boosting on the downhills (big alpine riding). I'm gonna get weights tomorrow from Cannondale but I'm curious to hear comparisons and opinions from you guys. I wish the Trigger was a degree slacker to differentiate it more. With such similar geometry we think it's just gonna feel like a slightly plusher Habit at a 2lb penalty.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd rule the Trigger out because...Dyad.

If he needs a 'dale AM bike, wait for the 2017 models which as I understand it won't feature Dyad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I've got a customer deciding between the Habit 1 and Trigger 1. The turn off with the Habit is only 120mm travel, especially in front. The potential turn off with the Trigger is weight. He's coming off a SC Blur Tr and wants a bike that encourages climbing but is capable and confidence boosting on the downhills (big alpine riding). I'm gonna get weights tomorrow from Cannondale but I'm curious to hear comparisons and opinions from you guys. I wish the Trigger was a degree slacker to differentiate it more. With such similar geometry we think it's just gonna feel like a slightly plusher Habit at a 2lb penalty.
    Tell him to wait... the new triggers/rush are on the way

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Tell him to wait... the new triggers/rush are on the way
    Rush? Where would that fit in their product lineup?

I see it as Habit = Rush

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    wants a bike that encourages climbing but is capable and confidence boosting on the downhills (big alpine riding).
    Just spotted this, too. I'd imagine Lefty 2.0 isn't up to this...but maybe someone can dispel that.

Maybe the new Habit SE with the RockShox Yari?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Just spotted this, too. I'd imagine Lefty 2.0 isn't up to this...but maybe someone can dispel that.

Maybe the new Habit SE with the RockShox Yari?
    New SE has a Pike RC - Boost spaced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rush? Where would that fit in their product lineup?

I see it as Habit = Rush
    Entry to mid level 100mm FS? Currently the Scalpel Si only has one alloy frame model, and it has a $3K pricetag

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kinda cool, but also weird that most Euro photos have the lefty on there.
    I am considering this as my everyday rider, coz looks fun. Getting a bit tired of fat caad 1 over these rocks, and will keep trailfox02 for more enduro days.
    But I am not beyond this years SE with the lefty if they are gonna discount it any.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    New SE has a Pike RC - Boost spaced.

Ah yea, close enough!

Not sure what the market is for cheaper XC orientated, mid travel rigs - that's why there's no product there! Would have thought low end Habit would fit that market quite well, because at that price point it's about training or fun, and the habit is great for both.

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

My Lefty's sag more than doubled today whilst out riding which lead to it bottoming out on small hits. When I got home, having had to cut the ride short I tried the manual reset and although things improved slightly the sag is still over twice what it was with the same pressure.

Any ideas what to do next or is this another trip to the Cannondale dealer for me?

This is the sag reset I followed taken from the Lefty manual.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Bummer! Perhaps it may be the same issue I had earlier. The wave spring broke and the fork was riding low and sticking. It was updated with a coil spring per C'dale. Check out my earlier post #353.
    Be sure to look at the link below the video: Support material: English

mtbr member
    Thank you Bikerlibre, lets hope they get this sorted. Although I enjoy the way the Habit rides, like others say on here, I'm not convinced that the reliability is enough to make me want to take this bike on long trips etc. A shame really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    That's awesome bigflamingtac. I have had many C-Dales and loved them all, especially the Rush! But I am looking for feed back on the new model the Habit.
    Man, I wish they still made the Rush! And if they still made a 29" Habit, that would be nice, too!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Regarding these issues:
    I also have an Habit Carbon 1.
    I also happen to work with Cannondale, which is great, because that means I get in touch with marketing, technical, and mechanic people from the C company.

I passed on the info.
    Regarding the play developing in the pivots axles, it appears that:
    While this new axles are indeed more user friendly for maintenance, they are on the other end, not so great the performance side of things, meaning, it is unfortunately "normal", to retorque them fairly often.

To prevent this, (and this should be addressed fairly soon to shops I believe), you can:
    -Proceed to a complete removal of both Pivots axles (above the BB one and the one at the shock )
    -Clean them (inspect bearing and axle)
    -Use lithium grease at each contact point
    -Use loctite (242 or 243 blue) for the threaded end of the main big axle (Part 1a on the manual)
    -Torque this axle 1.a to 3Nm (instead of the 1Nm required)
    -Torque the T25 Screw with a light drop of loctite (part #4 on the manual) to 7Nm instead of the 5Nm required on the screw itself (and even crazier than 3Nm, as specified in the manual!!)

Remember to remove the rear shock (one side of the shock is enough), when you remove the BB pivot axle.

I've been cracking noise/play free ever since.

While I agree that Cannondale are quite cheap on the brand they use for bearing (all across the range), I also think that factory setups are less acceptable, especially for the pivot axles and BB, where lack of proper grease, and correct torque, inevitably lead to play on the bike, causing premature wear and cracking noise.

Doing the above check, right after getting the bike, should considerably help the lifespan of these parts. (and hell, your own sanity without all these cracking noise! )

Hope this helps!

Apart from that, these bikes are killers!!!
    I'm having so much with the habit lately, that I need to calm down in the downhills section, as I'm clearly not on my Jekyll! (which I also cannot wait for its brand new model in September!)
    Given the damage I saw to the threads of the small torx bolt on my bike when I worked on it today (after having followed these instructions last service) I would not recommend tightening it to 7 Nm.
    That would be great if you could please.
    I replaced my bearings today But unfortunately didn't get a chance to take any pictures. The process is very straight forward. The only minor snags I did run into were having something to support the link while driving the bearing out that won't cause damage (I used a 3/4" pvc coupler), and fitting my bearing press inside the link to install the bearings. I had intended to do it one at a time to avoid possibly crushing the link but in the end the fit was loose enough that I wasn't applying much force, which may develop into a problem of its own.

I did note that the stock bearing had deteriorated to the point they were actually difficult to turn by hand when installed. Not good for a bike with a few hundred miles on it. The new bearings made a noticeable difference, to the point I had to add some air to my shock and slow the rebound setting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Can anyone recall / explain the difference between the Habit Lefty 2.0 120 and the Habit SE Lefty 2.0 130?

EDIT: Looks like a different solo-air assembly is required.

See: http://www.cannondale-parts.de/WebRo...ty_2.0.all.pdf

Considering getting a Habit SE on closeout but worried about getting a finicky Lefty with parts that are even harder than normal obtain - it looks like the 130 Lefty isn't in the 2017 Habit lineup.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    There seems to be a lot of confusion on that subject. When I originally inquired about it C'dale told me that it was a one way only switch that could be a big pain, then I got an email from them a few days later (I had asked them to send me the full details) saying it was a simple air shaft swap.

I think I posted a copy and past of the email earlier in this thread. If it were me I would be looking into what the resale value of a Lefty is, and if it's enough to buy a traditional setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes - I trawled the thread because I was sure it had been mentioned.

KH190 seems to be the only difference - but having said that, the document I linked to doesn't give the part numbers for the lower legs. So if the legs are different, i.e. 10mm longer...you can't tell. Might hit up TF- Tuned and ask.

Pike would be a strong contender but pricey - I doubt the 2.0s have real re-sale value but then again I've not tried to sell one...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Given the damage I saw to the threads of the small torx bolt on my bike when I worked on it today (after having followed these instructions last service) I would not recommend tightening it to 7 Nm.

I replaced my bearings today But unfortunately didn't get a chance to take any pictures. The process is very straight forward. The only minor snags I did run into were having something to support the link while driving the bearing out that won't cause damage (I used a 3/4" pvc coupler), and fitting my bearing press inside the link to install the bearings. I had intended to do it one at a time to avoid possibly crushing the link but in the end the fit was loose enough that I wasn't applying much force, which may develop into a problem of its own.

I did note that the stock bearing had deteriorated to the point they were actually difficult to turn by hand when installed. Not good for a bike with a few hundred miles on it. The new bearings made a noticeable difference, to the point I had to add some air to my shock and slow the rebound setting.
    I've re-greased my linkage, checked the bearings, which are in good shape, and re-assembled everything. I was also quite concerned with the information provided by Freak6767 regarding increased torque values so I talked with the guys at my LBS. They do not advocate the higher values at all for the small torx screw. The specified tightening torque of 1 N-M for the axle however is too low and will cause creaking. 3 N-m is more like it. It's quite possible I belive that the Cannondale service bulletin transposed the two values and the Axle should be 3 N-M and the torx screw only 1 N-M (mine is set at 2).
    Last edited by Bikerlibre; 04-14-2017 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Just head back from my LBS, they had to send my Left to TF Tuned as they handle Cannondale warranty stuff in the UK apparently. Sure enough it was the negative spring that had broken and has now been upgraded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep - TF do the warranty work in the UK. Will be interesting to see what the turnaround time is.

Wavespring / spring service is every 40 hours or so according to the tech docs and it sounds like you've gone way beyond that so in some respect you got lucky

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was told the new update design with a coil spring should last indefinitely. That sure beats replacing the wave spring frequently. I watched my local shop guys do the work and it took about 30 minutes. There is an update kit they had ordered prior to the work. It'll be good-as-new when complete.

mtbr member
    Turn around was within 5 working days with TF.

Road Bike Review Member
    Well, after having to get my fork fixed I am now dealing with creaking rear pivots. They were making some horrible noise after I got caught in a little bit of rain the other day. I took them apart and they had zero lube anywhere and the bearings had next to none either. I only have about 400 miles on this bike and it never saw mud or rain til that day. When it's crappy out I ride the road. Anyway, I repacked the bearings, lubed everything and tightened to specs. All was quiet for about half an hour then the dreaded cream came back slowly. It only creaks when the suspension is compressed slowly. Anyone else have this problem and a way to fix it? I don't want my new bike sounding like the suspension on a rusted 1950 pick up truck
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good thing that you decided to re-grease the pivots. You found no lube at all...not good.
    Mine were not bad and the bearings were good but I wanted to get into the "habit" of doing it. Did you use the torque values that are found in the Owner's Manual Supplement or did you tighten the bolts according to values you found posted elsewhere on this thread? Don't use the higher value torque numbers. Guys I talked to at my LBS say that noises they service to pivots are often related to over-tightening. Don't overlook the possibility that the noise is coming from somewhere else too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
    Well, after having to get my fork fixed I am now dealing with creaking rear pivots. They were making some horrible noise after I got caught in a little bit of rain the other day. I took them apart and they had zero lube anywhere and the bearings had next to none either. I only have about 400 miles on this bike and it never saw mud or rain til that day. When it's crappy out I ride the road. Anyway, I repacked the bearings, lubed everything and tightened to specs. All was quiet for about half an hour then the dreaded cream came back slowly. It only creaks when the suspension is compressed slowly. Anyone else have this problem and a way to fix it? I don't want my new bike sounding like the suspension on a rusted 1950 pick up truck
    Enduro Max suspension bearings.

LBS changed mine out to those under warranty. Said Cannondale bearings were junk.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Enduro Max suspension bearings.

LBS changed mine out to those under warranty. Said Cannondale bearings were junk.
    I repacked the bearings, they weren't that bad anyway. I tried different torque values, and doing one pivot at a time to see if I could isolate the creak. It's driving me crazy, I guess I need to ride with music to drown it out.
    Another question......does the derailleur hangar ''float''? There's a little bolt holding it on, it's tight but there is play in the hangar when the wheel is removed. And yes, I did grease this as well to see if this is where the noise is coming from.
    I think it's creaking at the shock area, gonna take it apart tonight again and take a close look at the shock itself.....
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

Road Bike Review Member
    Does anyone have the numbers for the pivot bearings? Since my bike is still creaking after tearing apart the pivots and relubing them (and repacking the bearings), it's my last resort to try and fix the problem. The kit form Cannondale is 65 bucks and I'm sure I can source better quality bearings for half the price somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Why not have fixed under warranty?

You can email cannondale support. They are good at responding.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    6802 & 6902 I think. I have one of the bearings kits, that c'dale sent out as a warranty, I can check for you tomorrow. I wound up getting some Enduro Max bearings for less then $10 each iirc.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    6802 & 6902 I think. I have one of the bearings kits, that c'dale sent out as a warranty, I can check for you tomorrow. I wound up getting some Enduro Max bearings for less then $10 each iirc.
    Thanks! Did you have the freak and did it cure it? I'm tired of the bike sounding like a 1950s pick up truck on a bumpy road.

As for warranty I'd rather spend 50 bucks and do the work myself rather than have the bike down for a month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerlibre View Post
    I've re-greased my linkage, checked the bearings, which are in good shape, and re-assembled everything. I was also quite concerned with the information provided by Freak6767 regarding increased torque values so I talked with the guys at my LBS. They do not advocate the higher values at all. They also mentioned that they sometimes service linkages that are reported making noise and more often than not it's because the linkage bolts have been over-tightened. The specified tightening torques seem fine to me as-assembled by me. They're aluminum parts and I'm not going to over-stress them given the caution I received to not do so and the fact that there is no play in my pivots.
    No worries at all :-)
    Everyone is free to do what is best for them.

This what I've been told to do by someone at Cannondale, and I've been crack/noise free ever since my Carbon1.
    I check every torque after each ride with a proper torque key, and nothing change, values remain the same.

At least, grease the whole thing and loctite is already a must do for any new habit out of the box, and every now and then.

Happy ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No worries at all :-)
    Everyone is free to do what is best for them.

This what I've been told to do by someone at Cannondale, and I've been crack/noise free ever since my Carbon1.
    I check every torque after each ride with a proper torque key, and nothing change, values remain the same.

At least, grease the whole thing and loctite is already a must do for any new habit out of the box, and every now and then.

Happy ride!
    Thanks and glad to hear you're creak-free. I agree that it's definitely a good idea to recheck torque values often. I am sticking to the spec'd. values though. since I haven't had the creaking issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I repacked the bearings, they weren't that bad anyway. I tried different torque values, and doing one pivot at a time to see if I could isolate the creak. It's driving me crazy, I guess I need to ride with music to drown it out.
    Another question......does the derailleur hangar ''float''? There's a little bolt holding it on, it's tight but there is play in the hangar when the wheel is removed. And yes, I did grease this as well to see if this is where the noise is coming from.
    I think it's creaking at the shock area, gonna take it apart tonight again and take a close look at the shock itself.....
    I hope you've isolated the squeak problem. If not, perhaps it may be similar to a squeak I developed a few days ago. I determined it was coming from the shock. It occurred only during initial loading when I sat on the seat. Once the suspension had sagged and during most riding, it was gone. The shock body air chamber was in need of re-greasing. It was simple to take the air can off. I left the shock on the frame at the upper attachment. You can look up the procedure. I didn't use 15w oil like they suggest. I used grease. Put a thin coat all over the inside of the can and on the three o-rings inside. You can look up here on mtbr.com searching for Rockshox Monarch and you'll find a few good threads. Other guys are greasing the can as well instead of using oil. Anyway, it worked for me and since it's a regular maintenance thing, it's probably time to do it anyways.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Thanks! Did you have the freak and did it cure it? I'm tired of the bike sounding like a 1950s pick up truck on a bumpy road.

As for warranty I'd rather spend 50 bucks and do the work myself rather than have the bike down for a month.
    Yeah, my bike was creaking by the second ride. Simply greasing the pivot axles cured the creek but I noticed the bearings were very rough when I had it apart, which is why I replaced them.

I was correct on the bearing sizes. You should be able to find Enduros cheaper then the C'dale kit, just be careful not to drop the little spacers as I'm sure they are only available in the kit.

Road Bike Review Member
    I'll try the shock next as it seems its where the noise is coming from although with carbon frames tend to make noises resonate. My bike only has about 350 miles on it though.
    I'm gonna grab new bearings and install them as they are cheap enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Might have bought an SE on closeout.

So what's the deal? Pull the pivots apart immediately and give the bearings a good lube?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

So what's the deal? Pull the pivots apart immediately and give the bearings a good lube?
    Change them to Enduro Max bearings and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yea, I'll do that when the stock bearings die. Sounds like - and this is a theme with cannondale factory builds - that the stock bearings are poorly sealed / lubed so I'll get them with the marine grease from the get go.

mtbr member

My in the forrest..

Cannondale Habit-img_0735.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates View Post
    Man, I wish they still made the Rush! And if they still made a 29" Habit, that would be nice, too!
    Just mentioned this to my inside rep the other day, and I asked specifically about any mid-travel 29ers in the near future. While he wouldn't spill the beans on new bikes, he did mention tht some CSG employees are riding the Bad Habit with standard 29'er wheelsets. Says they can run up to a 2.5" tire in that configuration.

mtbr member
    Just mentioned this to my inside rep the other day, and I asked specifically about any mid-travel 29ers in the near future. While he wouldn't spill the beans on new bikes, he did mention tht some CSG employees are riding the Bad Habit with standard 29'er wheelsets. Says they can run up to a 2.5" tire in that configuration.
    Funny, I was looking at my Habit last night wondering if there was just enough room there for some 29" how cool it would be! I'd love to see Cannondale launch a 29" version of my bike, it's the one thing that would make it better, well apart from the crappy bearings and press fit BB!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yea, I'll do that when the stock bearings die. Sounds like - and this is a theme with cannondale factory builds - that the stock bearings are poorly sealed / lubed so I'll get them with the marine grease from the get go.
    Your stock bearings will die soon. Even after a re grease. Seriously...you'll be wasting your time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thinking of xtr di2 on my carbon 1.
    Woundering hove to atach the bettery in the frame ?
    And I need to drill i bigger hole i the botumbraket.
    Dont like to have the cabel in the outside of the swingarm .
    Eney ideas?
    Some one whit a black ink in here ?
    Sorry for the spegling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzr View Post
    Thinking of xtr di2 on my carbon 1.
    Woundering hove to atach the bettery in the frame ?
    And I need to drill i bigger hole i the botumbraket.
    Dont like to have the cabel in the outside of the swingarm .
    Eney ideas?
    Some one whit a black ink in here ?
    Sorry for the spegling.
    This might help...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks ! That wont work on the carbon 1

mtbr member
    Unlucky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzr View Post
    Thanks ! That wont work on the carbon 1
    I drilled the BB slightly larger. No problem!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Pictures?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Lefty 2.0 travel increase

Hi - if anyone wants to increase the travel on their 120mm Habit to 130mm like the SE, all you have to do is cut 10mm off part #117 in the photo attached. I have done it, and now have 130mm travel lefty and also a bit slacker head angle if 67.5 deg.

The only difference between the two 27.5 lefty's is this part. The 120mm lefty has a 60mm travel restrictor and the 130mm lefty has a 50mm travel restrictor.

It is very easy to do and i think the bike rides a lot better now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Habit-image1.jpg  

Cannondale Habit-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I remember somewhere in this thread there was a discussion about down tube protection and the use of the Jekyll down tube protector.

Or did I dream it?

If not, which down tube protector for the Habit SE?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I remember somewhere in this thread there was a discussion about down tube protection and the use of the Jekyll down tube protector.

Or did I dream it?

If not, which down tube protector for the Habit SE?

Cannondale Habit - Page 7- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There's another Lefty upgrade available guys and it involves replacing the Coils Spring which many of us have recently upgraded from the old Wave Spring design. It's called 2Spring and Cannondale claims it's a leap forward in ride quality. My Coil Spring upgrade has been working without issue but since the new upgrade is available free for a limited time, I guess I'll jump on it.
    http://www.cannondale.com/mandatoryservicebulletin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There's another Lefty upgrade available guys and it involves replacing the Coils Spring which many of us have recently upgraded from the old Wave Spring design. It's called 2Spring and Cannondale claims it's a leap forward in ride quality. My Coil Spring upgrade has been working without issue but since the new upgrade is available free for a limited time, I guess I'll jump on it.
    Cannondale Mandatory Service Bulletins
    Cannondale is calling this one "Mandatory", meaning the were tired of trying to fix the flaw in the original wave washer, and the initial fix of the replacement coil spring. They will no longer have any parts for the old assembly - the new kit is a wholesale replacement of the air piston valve.

I was going to order a Habit last Friday, but they had taken all lefty-equipped bikes in the warehouses out of stock so they could open them up and upgrade all of them before they were released for sale.

I finally pulled the trigger today on a '16 Carbon 3.

mtbr member
    Mine is going back to the shop then back to Cannondale next week. This bike has spent more time in the shop than it has in my garage I reckon. Just as well I like it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine is going back to the shop then back to Cannondale next week. This bike has spent more time in the shop than it has in my garage I reckon. Just as well I like it!
    Mind me asking what the return reason is? Ongoing issues?

mtbr member
    Mind me asking what the return reason is? Ongoing issues?
    Just for the latest recall mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You've had the full house I reckon - BB, pivots, wave spring

Always looked like you put the miles in on it though.

mtbr member
    You've had the full house I reckon - BB, pivots, wave spring

Always looked like you put the miles in on it though.
    Less than 500 currently. I have other bikes (thankfully)!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just for the latest recall mentioned above.
    Good deal. My Habit will show up tomorrow, and should already have the 2spring in it.

My shop got a box of the 2spring kits for the hybrid forks, but my 2.0 fork upgrade kits haven't shipped yet. I'm guessing they probably exhausted their first shipment of kits fixing all of the bikes in the distribution centers last week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Has anyone weighed a Habit frame only? I'm thinking about blowing mine completely apart out of the box, just to know. Course, I built a spreadsheet for my last frame-up build and tracked the variance in any expected component weight to the real-world.

Not really a weight weenie - but I like to know where you can get bang for your upgrade bucks.

mtbr member
    Turns out my bike has already had the recall work done when it went to TF Tuned for the warranty work but seeing as it was I never the shop I got them to replace all the bearings with the Enduro (max?) replacements. I've just taken the bike for a quick ride and it actually feels like the suspension is working much more smoothly.

mtbr member
    May 2010

As i want it ;)

Cannondale Habit-14446153_10153612597372134_2929991251206402001_n.jpg

Upgrade

XX1 Eagle
    Magura Vyron
    Specialized Power saddel
    S-Works dh handelbar
    XT Trail pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice!....I want a XX1 Eagle

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Finally decided to take mine home today - '16 Carbon 3 Sz L

Out of the box weighed 28.76lbs w/ Time ATAC pedals (336gr)

Converted to 1x - Swapped crank arms out to SiSL, 30T spider ring
    Swapped the HG50 cassette to SRAM PG1070 w/ WolfTooth GC42 conversion
    Set up tubeless
    Swapped the Formula rear axle for my Maxle Lite of the old bike
    Swapped bar to a Cobalt X11 carbon & ESI chunkys (Narrower - I can't handle that 780mm wide bar)
    Carbon seatpost, Ti railed WTB Silverado

With bottle cage, and Garmin mount - down to 26.36lbs. Not horrible for not a ton of changes.

The Stan's Rapid wheelset is over 2000gr so any 1600gr wheelset would pull another pound out.

Now - I just need to get it to a trail and actually ride the thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Interloper here from Bad Habit forum. Just posted this on the other forum. Any comments would be appreciated. Riding Carbon Bad Habit 1.

Anybody get the Lefty 2 spring upgrade?

Mine was done couple of weeks ago and I have probably 50+ miles on it. Definitely better, much more linear in response. But now it "clunks" when riding over anything bigger than gravel and pulling small wheelies. Also air pressure decreases by 50%+ over 4 days.

Normal?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
    Also air pressure decreases by 50%+ over 4 days.

Normal?[/I]
    No - a seal has gone somewhere. Back it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interloper here from Bad Habit forum. Just posted this on the other forum. Any comments would be appreciated. Riding Carbon Bad Habit 1.

Mine was done couple of weeks ago and I have probably 50+ miles on it. Definitely better, much more linear in response. But now it "clunks" when riding over anything bigger than gravel and pulling small wheelies. Also air pressure decreases by 50%+ over 4 days.

Normal?
    Thanks for the update although that's a bit dissapointing. I'm still waiting on my LBS to get the upgrade kit and have the time to do it. You're the first report I've seen of anyone having the upgrade installed. Please keep us informed on you're progress and anyone else's you hear about. Hopefully it's just an issue with your install that has an easy remedy.

Road Bike Review Member

Normal?
    The wave washer in my Habit Se went bad after 300 miles so they replaced it with the second gen spring kit. I'm having the same problem, losing air pressure after a couple days or just while out riding. Bike is back at the shop now getting the 2S spring and hopefully new seals installed.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anyone tried to mount XTR di2 2x on the non Black Inc models? Interested in how to wire it with internal battery and junction box

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    No - a seal has gone somewhere. Back it goes.
    Thanks for the update although that's a bit dissapointing. I'm still waiting on my LBS to get the upgrade kit and have the time to do it. You're the first report I've seen of anyone having the upgrade installed. Please keep us informed on you're progress and anyone else's you hear about. Hopefully it's just an issue with your install that has an easy remedy.
    The wave washer in my Habit Se went bad after 300 miles so they replaced it with the second gen spring kit. I'm having the same problem, losing air pressure after a couple days or just while out riding. Bike is back at the shop now getting the 2S spring and hopefully new seals installed.
    Thanks for all the feed back. Gonna try to take it in tomorrow. Will keep forum informed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by o27 View Post
    Anyone tried to mount XTR di2 2x on the non Black Inc models? Interested in how to wire it with internal battery and junction box
    I drilled the BB drain hole slightly to fit the wire through for the rear derailleur (it will have to run externally from there and along the swing arm chainstay to the RD). Otherwise everything can go internally without any alteration.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Cannondale Habit

Great where did you put the battery and junction box ?

Would prefer not having to drill to keep the warranty on the frame. Found the below schematic in Habit tech PDF. But can't gripe how the wiring will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My Habit Carbon 1 did not have the rearward BB cover (4) as shown in that schematic so I had to drill the drain hole. Also, I used a regular seatpost, so I placed the battery there. If you're using a dropper you can place the junction box and battery in the down tube. You could order that kit to bolt the battery as shown, but you could also just wrap it in pipe foam to a snug fit in the down tube. Although without that rearward opening, I'm not sure if you could get it in there. You could place it in the seat tube below the post, or try to get it through the head tube into the down tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Normal?
    Update---No need to panic! Dropped bike off at LBS this morning and just received a callback. At the end of September the shop had a rebuild/update the Lefty day with Cannondale rep where they rebuild several shocks with mine being one of them. Apparently somebody rebuilt it with a part upside down. Should be good to go now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Good job!

I just had my 2Spring installed today and it's working well. The Cannondale crew came to town to rebuild the Lefty's and they called me in. The feeling is very linear right from initial compression and I'd say it's an improvement although I haven't been on the trails yet.

Radioactive - glad to hear they figured out your problem and that it was an easy fix.

10/15 - I went out on the trails today and the Lefty is working great. The wheel holds it's course better with a more plush, comfortable feel. Impacts seem to soak up nicer too.
    Last edited by Bikerlibre; 10-16-2016 at 07:43 AM. Reason: add an update

Road Bike Review Member
    I just had my 2Spring installed today and it's working well. The Cannondale crew came to town to rebuild the Lefty's and they called me in. The feeling is very linear right from initial compression and I'd say it's an improvement although I haven't been on the trails yet.
    Same here. Picked my bike up today. Totally agree with what you wrote,the fork definitely feels more linear during a test spin around the yard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So I haven't had a chance to get to the trail with my Habit yet - but, general question about the rear shock setup. In my case, I have a Monarch RL (2016 Carbon 3) - which RockShox defines the blue lever as Pedal / Open. Pedal feels very much like a climb or "pedal platform" mode - and when I flip it to the "open" position, I'm amazed at how much the rear end plushes out.

I have about 30% sag dialed in.

What mode do most of you seem to find yourself keeping the rear end in for typical XC style trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I keep mine fully open almost all the time with the exceptions being pavement or extended climbs. However, I've found that running sag at 25% makes this much more doable. I initially set it up at 30% and there was just too much bob for my liking in open. 25% really took care of it and I find it really pedals great in open mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    I keep mine fully open almost all the time with the exceptions being pavement or extended climbs. However, I've found that running sag at 25% makes this much more doable. I initially set it up at 30% and there was just too much bob for my liking in open. 25% really took care of it and I find it really pedals great in open mode.
    Thanks - I'll make sure to carry a shock pump the first time I get to the trails.

Road Bike Review Member
    What's the biggest tires anyone has fitted without rubbing, especially on the front. I have plenty of clearance with conti 2.4s, and I think a 2.7 would work. Not sure if it would hit the fork crown when bottoming out though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep. Bring a pump and expect a lot of fettling.

I run mine in open with 20% sag. It's sweet. Lockout / Pedal doesn't get a look in. Doesn't need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    10/15 - I went out on the trails today and the Lefty is working great. The wheel holds it's course better with a more plush, comfortable feel. Impacts seem to soak up nicer too.
    Same here. Picked my bike up today. Totally agree with what you wrote,the fork definitely feels more linear during a test spin around the yard.
    +1

So I haven't had a chance to get to the trail with my Habit yet - but, general question about the rear shock setup. In my case, I have a Monarch RL (2016 Carbon 3) - which RockShox defines the blue lever as Pedal / Open. Pedal feels very much like a climb or "pedal platform" mode - and when I flip it to the "open" position, I'm amazed at how much the rear end plushes out.

I have about 30% sag dialed in.

What mode do most of you seem to find yourself keeping the rear end in for typical XC style trails?
    <25% sag, open

What's the biggest tires anyone has fitted without rubbing, especially on the front. I have plenty of clearance with conti 2.4s, and I think a 2.7 would work. Not sure if it would hit the fork crown when bottoming out though...
    3.0 (oh wait wrong forum )

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Been absolutely loving my Habit SE since last year when I got it, so far i'm on 3rd possibly 4th BB and second set of pivot bearings, but neither of those things bother me since its bee a blast since owning it!

To those who have replaced your pivot bearings, did you replace the carbon linkage bearings too? If so did you use the specific locitite they tell you to use?? Definitely looking at changing them to EnduroMAX bearings though.

Cannondale Habit-img_3821.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBigMatt View Post
    Been absolutely loving my Habit SE since last year when I got it, so far i'm on 3rd possibly 4th BB and second set of pivot bearings, but neither of those things bother me since its bee a blast since owning it!

To those who have replaced your pivot bearings, did you replace the carbon linkage bearings too? If so did you use the specific locitite they tell you to use?? Definitely looking at changing them to EnduroMAX bearings though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	1102198
    I bought all 6 EnduroMax bearings - but I haven't gotten around to swapping them yet. Will likely use the recommended loctite/glue.

mtbr member
    Anybody have a 30t spider ring they aren't using and want to sell? I'm looking at converting my habit to 1x

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    changed the bearing but have not used the loctite but will do in the future; just didn't have any around at the time. Since the bearing change all is good and now noise/bearing play ( anticipate it just a high wear specific part on this bike so can live with that).
    Having the fork sorted in the next few weeks, with LBS sending it back to have the up-grade too.
    Nice pic.......looks like an typically English barbed fence/field !

mtbr member
    Got my Habit Carbon 2 three weeks ago.
    Wow what a bike! totally love it, perfect for me!
    Started by removing the front front derailleur and rings, replacing it with a 34t wide narrow ring, 1x is the only way. Added some Orange seal to the tires and put on Invisframe protection.

The lefty seams already to be fixed with the "2 spring".
    Thinking of plasti dip the lower end of the Lefty as a light protection.

Cannondale Habit-imag0985.jpgCannondale Habit-imag1018.jpgCannondale Habit-imag0999.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got my second trail session w/ my Habit this week, and continue to feel like I'm really going to like this bike for the long run.

My favorite bike I ever owned was a 08 Turner Flux (26") - bike would just lock into corners and wasn't a chore to climb on, and didn't feel clumsy on fast technical singletrack.

Buuut the call of the SS 29er got me. I went through a couple hardtail SS frames until I found one that handled like my Flux. Then I finally shelved the Flux for a FS 29er, and that bike never lived up to my expectations. Always made the trail feel like I was on top of it, never down in it.

The Habit truly does seem to have that good down "in the trail" feel, and I'm not really noticing the difference in tire diameter. I rode the Habit and my SS back to back today and there wasn't much of a learning curve between the 2. So damn glad to have a geared bike that seems fun to ride again. I wanted more of a slacker aggressive XC bike, rather than a gnar-gnar trail bike, and the Habit can be set up for both, I think.

I knocked the weight down to about 26.3 ready to ride, and I'm stoked.

Cannondale Habit-20161030_142048_zpskgcukapq.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also - that stock 780mm bar was just ridiculous for the trails I ride - I swapped a carbon Cobalt 11 680mm in. Because tree-gates. I'm pretty sure most every divot in that particular tree was done by me. I always hit the left one - apparently everyone else does too.

Cannondale Habit-20161030_143055_zpsip6ojaql.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey, looking to get back in the Cannondale fold on a Habit, and have a sizing question.

At 5'10" I'm between M & L. I was on a M Prophet 4x years ago, and it fit great.

Anyone know if they fit similar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'11" and on a large which is perfect for me.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I knocked the weight down to about 26.3 ready to ride, and I'm stoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161030_142048_zpskgcukapq.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	1102795
    Is that with the stock wheelset?

Im in similar situation, having had my 2016 Scalpel Team stolen and looking at Habit Carbon 3 or Carbon 1, New Spark 930 or New SC TB3.

Can get a killer deal on both Habit and loved my Scalpel except the steep HA - hence leaning towards the Habit - but a bit hesitant on going from 29" to 27,5"

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    o27 I won't tell you not to worry about the different wheel size. I like 27.5 a lot but some of my friends refuse to give up any of that 9'er roll-over, even if it does come with lighter wheels and awesome cornering. You really need to get some time in on a Habit saddle so you can make the informed decision.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Road Bike Review Member
    @o27 I have a 23 lb (with everything) XL Scalpel and a XL Habit Se that is basically stock except slightly longer stem, slightly narrower bar and tubeless conversion. I ride the Habit 95% of the time, since I don't race mtb anymore I'm considering selling the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Having owned a Habit 1 Carbon for just over a year I can quite happily say that a 29" version would be the perfect trail bike for me, I love my Habit but it misses out on the rollover ability and extra momentum of the big wheels.