Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, it seems to have worked. Hope it's of use. I'm a Cycle mechanic, and the LBS knows I'll be doing any maintenance; so they sent it to me.

Would anyone like a link to the 2016 US Dealer Hnadbook ?? It's quite interesting,

LJJ

mtbr member
    Yes please!

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Go to www.issuu.com, and search "Cannondale dealers handbook". It will pop up. All seems legit, no viruses or anything.

I've kept it in ibooks on my ipad. It has a lot of extra detail on the technology behind all the different bike-lines, Leftys etc. Kept me busy for a few hours anyway !!

LJJ

mtbr member
    Thanks again I'll have a look!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thanks again I'll have a look!
    Just J, what Garmin mount are you using? Just finished building up my Habit SE this morning. Really excited about this bike. Too bad it has been pouring down rain all day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 900spg View Post
    Just J, what Garmin mount are you using? Just finished building up my Habit SE this morning. Really excited about this bike. Too bad it has been pouring down rain all day.
    It's a Garmin Out-front mount mounted backwards, it sits well on the bike as I don't like running my Garmin up front on my mountain bikes as they are very prone to being snapped off in the event of a crash.

Garmin Edge Extended Out Front Mount https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K75QH..._CX.gxbD8519TQ

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's a Garmin Out-front mount mounted backwards, it sits well on the bike as I don't like running my Garmin up front on my mountain bikes as they are very prone to being snapped off in the event of a crash.

Garmin Edge Extended Out Front Mount https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K75QH..._CX.gxbD8519TQ

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think I've solved my tech climbing/BB issue - more rebound damping. Having ridden an Ibis Mojo HD3 over the weekend it got me thinking and tonight I started playing with the rebound.

I think I had the rebound too slow before so the bike was sitting low in it's travel or at least, it was taking longer than necessary to return to a normal sagged position, hence the pedal strikes and frustration when climbing. I shall test some more and let you know how I get on...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by freak6767 View Post
    You can buy the protection from the current Jekyll 650b, works perfect on Habit Carbon 1 (only a slight modification, but very easy)
    Will send pictures.

Kit Guard Down-Tube Jekyll Carbon 27,5
    Hello

Is it possible to post some pictures of the kit guard in the bike? I'm thinking in putting one on mine.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ok. So you guys have had your habits for a while. Any reason not to get one? Has the magic worn off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Second ride on mine today. Took it out to the rough stuff I intended it for. It handled it okay, though I wasn't blown away. Hard to say, maybe setup issues, but it was kinda meh. Also isn't as stiff as I would have hoped.

It's hard to complain because I got a good deal, and it really isn't a BAD bike, but if I could have gotten a something fancier for the same money I wouldn't have thought twice.

Anyone know which Maxel I can replace this Formula rear axle with, and if I can source some plugs to seal up the dropper cables/hose holes in the seat tube?

My other ride
    I have one on demo right now. I took it out for an hour and a half on Thursday before a nail and dried up sealant cut the ride short. I'll take it back out tomorrow morning (Sunday).

The bike isn't for me. Little too slack for my style, and I had a lot of pedal strikes too. Better for me then the Jekyll, but not as good as the Scalpel. My main trail bike is a 650b, so I know it's not the wheel size. Still fun though. Jumps slightly better then my trail bike, but I think it was tires that helped smooth the landing (XC tires on my trail bike).

https://www.strava.com/activities/574328337

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

Mine keeps getting better, now that I've actually spent quite a bit of time setting the suspension up how I like it, it seems to do everything really well. Maybe not the most gnarly of trails but it does a surprising job of handling things I wouldn't necessarily have expected of it.

I'm 220 lbs at the moment and I don't have any complaints about stiffness, the bike goes where I want it and the Lefty is the stiffest fork I've had.

I'm getting KOM's and PR's on trails pointing up, across and down and although I don't take any notice of Strava, surely that counts for something?

I'm having less pedal strikes now, I think because I'm now used to the bike.

It's an awesome bike and it makes me want to ride more which is what I look for in a bike.

From yesterday's 22 mile ride:

Road Bike Review Member
    I have a really nice 23 lb w/ pedals Scalpel and my chunky Habit Se. The Scalpel had been collecting dust lately. I enjoy the Habit much more. It might come back out for a few races once I get back in shape from the flu wrecking me.
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Ok. So you guys have had your habits for a while. Any reason not to get one? Has the magic worn off?
    I've had mine since mid-January and it's fabulous! My last ride was 24 miles with 3600' elevation gain. Up into the mnt's. and back home. Primarily down-hill all the way back. I rode race-pace as usual and it complies very well. I've always considered a Scalpel but I didn't want 29" wheels. The steering is precise and it responds quickly and yet has good roll-over. I don't feel the need for more travel - it's perfect, providing me a very fast and exhilarating ride downhill. I haven't yet played with rebound as Just J suggests but my climbing has been good. On this ride, I could have used lower gearing but most my rides have manageable climbs without long and steep grades. I'd love for the BB to be higher as I too sometimes have pedal strikes but at 13.1", it's on par and even higher than some. The brakes are really nice but I did develop front brake squeal and replaced the pads with the Alum-backed organic pads and all is now good so far.

I would highly recommend this bike. My 1st impressions at a demo-day last year were actually quite disappointing. In hindsight, the bike was not set-up very well and I felt cramped and the bike slow. I ride nothing but this bike now even on the greenbelt with my wife. It's not slow at all! It's very stable, quick to respond, fast and fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
    I have a really nice 23 lb w/ pedals Scalpel and my chunky Habit Se. The Scalpel had been collecting dust lately. I enjoy the Habit much more. It might come back out for a few races once I get back in shape from the flu wrecking me.
    Why? I am considering a new bike and am torn between these two as an option. I know the Scalpel is a lightweight racing bike and the Habit is a heaver weight trail bike. WHy do you prefer the Habit over the Scalpel. Hoping for an opinion that might sway me.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

Formerly of Kent
    I have to wonder how that opinion would change if he rode the new, 2017 Scalpel-Si.

Completely different bike than the older, previous version of the Scalpel.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I have to wonder how that opinion would change if he rode the new, 2017 Scalpel-Si.

Completely different bike than the older, previous version of the Scalpel.
    I think that' why I want one. Time for a "new" bike anyhow so if I can get one ordered before August I might be in. Just have to see what a shop tells me. I have seen ship dates on mediums and larges as being in August, wonder about the smalls, since that's what i would have to get.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Why? I am considering a new bike and am torn between these two as an option. I know the Scalpel is a lightweight racing bike and the Habit is a heaver weight trail bike. WHy do you prefer the Habit over the Scalpel. Hoping for an opinion that might sway me.
    It's just a lot more fun, slacker head angle, more travel, dropper post, durable wheels.....I hit every kicker I see with it. Yes, you do feel the weight difference but you can get a lighter version of it.
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I've had mine since November and have put close to 500 miles on it. I got the '3' and upgraded the brakes rotors and pads to ice-techs and put a hans dampf/racing ralph combo on the bike before my first ride. This week I installed the new Raceface Turbine dropper.

Coming off a XC 29 full squish and a 27.5 XC hardtail, I'm really loving the ride!! Like Just J, it took about 10 rides or so to find a base suspension set-up that I liked (not use to all the travel and the feel of the debonair initially). That being said, this bike has refueled my passion for riding. I bring this bike to work with me everyday so I can ride after work if the trails are open/rideable. I've been really impressed with how well it climbs (even compared to my previous 2 bikes that climbed very fast), it gives me a lot of confidence on the ups, and even more on the downs. I haven't had any negative thoughts other than that this bike is going to hurt me because I havent found the limit of what this thing can do (locally).

I took it out to one of the rockiest trails in the region a few weeks ago, and was really taken away by it. It really impressed me in the 2 1/2 mile wet rock garden that this trail is known for. The traction the habit had was shocking, just sit and pedal and we could monster truck through any of the loose rocky climbs that i've never cleaned on the xc bikes. Theres also a steep double switchback climb that is a 90% walked climb in any race, but the habit just sunk down in the travel and I rode right up to the top with no issues. After this ride, i went from 100% to 200% sold on the habit.

I have my first race (enduro) on it next weekend, and then on to shredding in Colorado in the summer with it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Just in case at doesn't eliminate the creak....mine was creaking from the BB pivot after only a few rides. Extremely easy and quick to dismantle and grease, though.
    Hi, been trying to proceed to this BB pivot axle removal, and taping on the head of the M4 screw just doesn't do anything to un-seat the thread wedge on the other side to get to out (drive side).
    Any tips? do you really have to heavily tap on it with force and hammer?

I would like to re-grease this axle, as the habit started to creak after 4 rides. nothing major, as I suspect poor factory greasing. BB isn't the issue. Just the pivot axles.

Thanks for any input, appreciate it.

Road Bike Review Member
    Any Habit Se owners add a remote lockout to the rear shock? Is it even possible to do it?

singletrail lover
    Hi, been trying to proceed to this BB pivot axle removal, and taping on the head of the M4 screw just doesn't do anything to un-seat the thread wedge on the other side to get to out (drive side).
    Any tips? do you really have to heavily tap on it with force and hammer?

I would like to re-grease this axle, as the habit started to creak after 4 rides. nothing major, as I suspect poor factory greasing. BB isn't the issue. Just the pivot axles.

Thanks for any input, appreciate it.
    Hi - do not know how hard you are already tapping. For the lower pivot, I also had to hit the screw head pretty hard.
    In my case, it was worth the effort, a bit of grease took care of a developing creaking noise. Out of the shop, axles seemed undergreased and axles overtightened (by far) relative to instructions in the manual.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

bearing issues......

had my LBS do the bottom bracket......they said it was super tight, and they had to be very persuasive to hammer it out !
    The pivot point directly above has also been swopped (did the others too,around the suspension points at the same time), as it was suffering from a winter of British weather. The creaking was extremely loud, and coming specifically from this low pivot.....there is a lot of stress on this point, and needs to have the best quality bearing (??) to last I guess. Ceramic probably best...good to have advice here. It is sweet now!
    My rear hub has also been swopped as the last one failed and Cannonade paid for an upgrade to the new Hope 4 hubCannondale Habit-img_1904.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice upgrade there!

My Habit was back in the shop this week and had a new BB fitted but I still have a creek and I think I will strip the rear end to solve once and for all based on what you guys are saying.

Klein-man have you looked at replacing the bearings with Enduro bearings?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the advice, just had a look at they seem a good option for next time around.

Non Threaded Mountain Bike Bottom Brackets - Enduro Bearings Online

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! I will try and hammer it!
    Just added a drop of lube in the outer of the pivot axle, and the creaking seemed to have to stop (for now), will see how it progress!

The rebond dial on the monarch XX is a pain to turn and set!
    I'm not sure what to unscrew to make it easier to adjust on the fly!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I've also have the creak. After a few km, in my LBS they opened and cleaned everything and then new lubrication. After 5 take out it starts do creak again. But only putting power on it, more with the small chain ring.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I've had a horrid creaking on the last two rides. Thought it was the crank/bb since I had to pull it all apart to install my dropper. Turns out that the two bolts clamping the lefty to the steerer were loose, so I'd recommend to check that every so often.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    let me know about the adjuster on the monarch xx, as I have had similar probs.
    regarding the lower pivot I tightened it up a quarter turn and it has resolved it; not too sure what the torque was but now I am happy !
    just got back from 20+ miles today and al good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonxme4 View Post
    Hello

Is it possible to post some pictures of the kit guard in the bike? I'm thinking in putting one on mine.

Thanks
    Cannondale Habit-ju3hc.jpg
    Cannondale Habit-ju1hc.jpg
    Cannondale Habit-ju2hc.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thank's!!! I've order one for my self!

mtbr member
    I got size S (Jekyll protections are available in 4 sizes) for my habit medium frame.
    It requires drilling a M5 size hole in the protection, and a longer M5 screw to replace the original.
    Make sure you measure before you drill the hole, so you are perfectly aligned.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I got size S (Jekyll protections are available in 4 sizes) for my habit medium frame.
    It requires drilling a M5 size hole in the protection, and a longer M5 screw to replace the original.
    Make sure you measure before you drill the hole, so you are perfectly aligned.
    Once again thank you. I've a S frame and i was thinking of ordering a S protection. I tough the alignment was more perfect. But i don't care about the looks. I think this is important.

mtbr member
    Testing something new for the Habit...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't know how the Cannondale paint will hold up but I put a bag something like that on my specialized and it wore the paint pretty fast.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm a good boy and I'm using protection.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lol, I should have but I didn't think of it

mtbr member
    Me neither, I have three kids!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have 4. I'm a slow learner

mtbr member
    :d lol

singletrail lover
    back to other habits now

Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post

Not for me. I fell in love with it during a demo ride. Now I'm having a lot of fun with it. A wonderful combination of uphill and downhill capabilities.

Cannondale Habit-uploadfromtaptalk1465131820701.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Habit-uploadfromtaptalk1465131686799.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice!

singletrail lover
    Very nice!
    Thanks. Sorry about the messed up post.

mtbr member

Just me, my Habit and my thoughts...

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

BB creak

Quote Originally Posted by gonxme4 View Post
    I've also have the creak. After a few km, in my LBS they opened and cleaned everything and then new lubrication. After 5 take out it starts do creak again. But only putting power on it, more with the small chain ring.
    I too have had the awful BB noise for 2 rides. Have checked EVERYTHING, and had EVERYTHING off it (I'm a qualified bike mechanic).

Am taking back to LBS tomorrow.

They can sort it out……

LJJ

mtbr member
    Mines been quiet as a mouse since my LBS changed the whole BB. I also applied a little bit of oil on the pivots which helped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Question for the lefty experts here. Just got an XL habit carbon and the short stem is driving me nuts. My other bike is an XL Superfly hardtail with a 110 stem and I am having a hard time adapting to the short position. I'm 6"3 and every time I am out of the saddle the reach feel like it is way to short and I'm flopping the bike all over the place. I want to change the stem to a longer one. Is this the one I need?

Cannondale Headshok Mountain Stem Kit - 31.8

mtbr member
    no, I believe all the new lefties are running standard 1.5 inch stems..
    Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought a Thomsom 1.5 stem, works great.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csteeds View Post
    Question for the lefty experts here. Just got an XL habit carbon and the short stem is driving me nuts. My other bike is an XL Superfly hardtail with a 110 stem and I am having a hard time adapting to the short position. I'm 6"3 and every time I am out of the saddle the reach feel like it is way to short and I'm flopping the bike all over the place. I want to change the stem to a longer one. Is this the one I need?

Cannondale Headshok Mountain Stem Kit - 31.8
    I'm the same size as you and switched out to a Race Face 70mm by 5 degree, no problems besides losing the top cap somewhere in French Creek

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I don't recall anyone mentioning an upgrade to the Solo Air Ass'y. in the Lefty. My fork was sinking into it's travel and sticking there and so I contacted my LBS and they filled me in on an issue some forks were having and the solution:
    (see 2016 Solo Air Upgrade:
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Support/Lefty-support.aspx
    see link to support material below the video for conversion instructions.

The air assembly was initially designed with a wave spring but has been redesigned with a coil spring. All forks apparently were not converted prior to being sold. So be aware that if a similar problem arises, there is an easy fix.
    Last edited by Bikerlibre; 06-09-2016 at 06:51 PM.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

BB noise, shock rebound issues - update

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ View Post
    I too have had the awful BB noise for 2 rides. Have checked EVERYTHING, and had EVERYTHING off it (I'm a qualified bike mechanic).

Am taking back to LBS tomorrow.

They can sort it out……

LJJ
    Hi All those with noise issues - BB and/or BB Pivot axle; also shock rebound not moving independantly of lockout hose issues:

I left my Carbon 1 with my LBS early last week, and they took apart on Thursday.

I got a call Friday. They are sending the entire bilke back to Cannondale UK as they were shocked by what they found: the BB is toast, and the BB Pivot and Swing-link pivot bearings are badly worn on one side ONLY.

The shock they don't know what to do with either, so Cannondale will send on to SRAM UK afterwards !!

180 miles in, 2 hand washes, no jet washes.

NOT GOOD !!

Fortunately, my Scalpel 26er is in good working order, so I still can ride a bike.

I've had SO many 'Dales over the years, but it was always the Leftys that went wrong. New owner, same QC problems !!

I'll update.....

LJJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    FWIW check over in the plus forum on the Bad Habit bike. I've had the BB bearings go out as well as the suspension pivot bearings on mine. Same has happened to others there as well.

LBS has warrantied the bike for both items and in not so many words said the bearings Cannondale chose to use in those locations weren't the best quality.

The LBS upgraded my BB and Pivot Link bearings to Enduro. No charge...covered under warranty.

I suspect the Habit uses the same parts...so same problems?

I'm hoping that cheap bearings is the issue. This is my first Cannondale bike, while I do like the bike, I'm a little dismayed with the bearing issues. The plus is the LBS has stood behind their product which has helped me overlook the problems.

My original choice was the Specialized 6fattie. But it was $1200 more than the Bad Habit.

You get what you pay for? Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prj71; 06-14-2016 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Regarding these issues:
    I also have an Habit Carbon 1.
    I also happen to work with Cannondale, which is great, because that means I get in touch with marketing, technical, and mechanic people from the C company.

I passed on the info.
    Regarding the play developing in the pivots axles, it appears that:
    While this new axles are indeed more user friendly for maintenance, they are on the other end, not so great the performance side of things, meaning, it is unfortunately "normal", to retorque them fairly often.

To prevent this, (and this should be addressed fairly soon to shops I believe), you can:
    -Proceed to a complete removal of both Pivots axles (above the BB one and the one at the shock )
    -Clean them (inspect bearing and axle)
    -Use lithium grease at each contact point
    -Use loctite (242 or 243 blue) for the threaded end of the main big axle (Part 1a on the manual)
    -Torque this axle 1.a to 3Nm (instead of the 1Nm required)
    -Torque the T25 Screw with a light drop of loctite (part #4 on the manual) to 7Nm instead of the 5Nm required on the screw itself (and even crazier than 3Nm, as specified in the manual!!)

Remember to remove the rear shock (one side of the shock is enough), when you remove the BB pivot axle.

I've been cracking noise/play free ever since.

While I agree that Cannondale are quite cheap on the brand they use for bearing (all across the range), I also think that factory setups are less acceptable, especially for the pivot axles and BB, where lack of proper grease, and correct torque, inevitably lead to play on the bike, causing premature wear and cracking noise.

Doing the above check, right after getting the bike, should considerably help the lifespan of these parts. (and hell, your own sanity without all these cracking noise! )

Hope this helps!

Apart from that, these bikes are killers!!!
    I'm having so much with the habit lately, that I need to calm down in the downhills section, as I'm clearly not on my Jekyll! (which I also cannot wait for its brand new model in September!)

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thanks

Regarding these issues:
    I also happen to work with Cannondale, which is great, because that means I get in touch with marketing, technical, and mechanic people from the C company.

I passed on the info.
    While this new axles are indeed more user friendly for maintenance, they are on the other end, not so great the performance side of things, meaning, it is unfortunately "normal", to retorque them fairly often.

To prevent this, (and this should be addressed fairly soon to shops I believe), you can:
    -Proceed to a complete removal of both Pivots axles (above the BB one and the one at the shock )
    -Use loctite (242 or 243 blue) for the threaded end of the main big axle (Part 1a on the manual)
    -Torque the T25 Screw with a light drop of loctite (part #4 on the manual) to 7Nm instead of the 5Nm required on the screw itself (and even crazier than 3Nm, as specified in the manual!!)

Remember to remove the rear shock (one side of the shock is enough), when you remove the BB pivot axle.

I've been cracking noise/play free ever since.

While I agree that Cannondale are quite cheap on the brand they use for bearing (all across the range), I also think that factory setups are less acceptable, especially for the pivot axles and BB, where lack of proper grease, and correct torque, inevitably lead to play on the bike, causing premature wear and cracking noise.

Doing the above check, right after getting the bike, should considerably help the lifespan of these parts. (and hell, your own sanity without all these cracking noise! )

Hope this helps!

Apart from that, these bikes are killers!!!
    I'm having so much with the habit lately, that I need to calm down in the downhills section, as I'm clearly not on my Jekyll! (which I also cannot wait for its brand new model in September!)
    Hi, thanks for this post. I'll print off and send to my LBS, as they're obviously gonna get a few of these. Hopefully Cannondale UK will have had your info feed through to them by now. I did print off other people's posts about all this and give to my LBS.

The bike IS fantastic, but this after 180 miles ? I've had many many Cannondales. There's always something !!

Cheers
    LJJ

mtbr member
    You are welcome.

Regarding the Monarch XX with remote and its rebound adjuster dial issue, any news?
    Mine is also hard as hell to adjust and turn, but I believe this is more a design flaw than anything else.
    Let me know what rockshox says about this issue (or if they fix it)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Regarding these issues:

I passed on the info.

Thanks Freak6767 for this information.

My Carbon 1 has not developed any of the creaking issues although I plan to re-grease and tighten everything to spec's. soon and will use your updated info. as a guide.

It sounds like C'dale has told you it will soon issue an update with the new torque spec's. which you have given? I just want to be certain not to over-tighten the bolts. Did you find any need to take apart and re-grease the upper Frame Pivot as well and if so, is there a torque spec. increase?

Thanks again

Road Bike Review Member
    Well, roughly 300 miles in and my lefty is messed up on my Habit Se. Lock out doesnt work, fork feel like mush and was staying stuck down in its travel. Had to bounce the form of hit something to get it to move back up a bit just to get through my ride. Weird because the lefty on my 2 year old scalpel has been trouble free.

mtbr member
    Well, roughly 300 miles in and my lefty is messed up on my Habit Se. Lock out doesnt work, fork feel like mush and was staying stuck down in its travel. Had to bounce the form of hit something to get it to move back up a bit just to get through my ride. Weird because the lefty on my 2 year old scalpel has been trouble free.
    I would suggest you perform a manual Reset of the lefty, as explained on page 9 of the LEFTY 2.0 owner manual.
    Very easy to do, and quick to perform.
    A manual reset is required every 50hrs (or 25hrs if you race).
    So this is definitely something to do on regular basis to ensure your lefty is performing at 100%
    Again, not being directly in front of your Lefty, also means that they could be something faulty with yours. In that case, if even after performing manual reset didn't help, you should check in with your local LBS.

Road Bike Review Member
    I would suggest you perform a manual Reset of the lefty, as explained on page 9 of the LEFTY 2.0 owner manual.
    Very easy to do, and quick to perform.
    A manual reset is required every 50hrs (or 25hrs if you race).
    So this is definitely something to do on regular basis to ensure your lefty is performing at 100%
    Again, not being directly in front of your Lefty, also means that they could be something faulty with yours. In that case, if even after performing manual reset didn't help, you should check in with your local LBS.
    Did that already, there is definitely something wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    See my post above #353. Exact thing happened to my fork last week. The wave spring in the Air assembly has been redesigned and upgraded to a coil spring. Some forks were released with the old design. Call your LBS and have them get the upgrade kit on order so you can get going again asap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerlibre View Post
    See my post above #353. Exact thing happened to my fork last week. The wave spring in the Air assembly has been redesigned and upgraded to a coil spring. Some forks were released with the old design. Call your LBS and have them get the upgrade kit on order so you can get going again asap.
    Very true.
    I skipped this, as I assume most of the Habit in the nature now should be fitted with Lefty 2.0 with the new version of the Solo Air.
    As Bikelibre said, definitely check this lead.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi,

No, no news yet.

Hi freak6767,

I agree, bad design. It was like it from day 1, but as the rebound by pure chance happened to be about "right", I left it. I tried to free up with GT85 (non grease dispersing lube, don't know if you have that in the US), over a few nights, but to no avail. Undoing the small allen bolt a little just caused a slight drip of hydraulic fluid from the lock-out.

I'm not expecting my bike back for a while, as it goes to C UK first, then to SRAM for the shock issue.

I'll report back. Meanwhile have printed off and sent your response to my LBS.

Cheers
    LJJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Very true.
    I skipped this, as I assume most of the Habit in the nature now should be fitted with Lefty 2.0 with the new version of the Solo Air.
    As Bikelibre said, definitely check this lead.
    This happened to my Lefty on a Habit SE with only 58 miles on it.Same symptoms, it would get stuck at the lower end of the travel and not rebound. It already had the coil spring but my local shop said that the green valve was clogged with a heavy grease from the factory. After they cleaned the valve and area around it and then used FOX shock oil to lubricate the area it has worked properly for at least the last 100 miles.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Three rides, maybe 50 mile on it, and my 5 was creaking like mad. Dug into it today and all 4 pivot bearings are toast. Gonna give C'dale a call tomorrow, but it seems like this is a common issue so hopefully it's just a simple warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Three rides, maybe 50 mile on it, and my 5 was creaking like mad. Dug into it today and all 4 pivot bearings are toast. Gonna give C'dale a call tomorrow, but it seems like this is a common issue so hopefully it's just a simple warranty issue.
    All the pivot bearings on my bad habit were replaced under warranty with enduro max bearings. I believe the Habit and Bad Habit share the same linkage. Check the 27.5+ forum for more detail on the Bad Habit.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    All the pivot bearings on my bad habit were replaced under warranty with enduro max bearings. I believe the Habit and Bad Habit share the same linkage. Check the 27.5+ forum for more detail on the Bad Habit.

Talked to C'dale's warranty guy today. He said they had not herd of any issue with the linkage bearings so it may be possible that your dealer went above and beyond to handle your issues. I would encourage customers to report issues like this so C'dale can start building a data sample and eliminate farther issues. Just take it easy on Will, it sounded like he was having a bad day.

Either way they sent out out a new bearing set, though it sounded like just some stock units so I may shell out for some Enduros anyways. If I'm going to replace the bearings I just wanna do it once and be done with it.

mtbr member

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milpat View Post
    Wow, no Lefty and a Fox rear shock on the Habit Se. My Habit is still in the shop with a blown Lefty after only 250 miles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Talked to C'dale's warranty guy today. He said they had not herd of any issue with the linkage bearings so it may be possible that your dealer went above and beyond to handle your issues. I would encourage customers to report issues like this so C'dale can start building a data sample and eliminate farther issues. Just take it easy on Will, it sounded like he was having a bad day.

Either way they sent out out a new bearing set, though it sounded like just some stock units so I may shell out for some Enduros anyways. If I'm going to replace the bearings I just wanna do it once and be done with it.

Warranty guys will never freely admit there is an issue.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Wow, no Lefty and a Fox rear shock on the Habit Se. My Habit is still in the shop with a blown Lefty after only 250 miles.
    That purple though!

mtbr member
    Yes, then purple is really eye catching

mtbr member
    Quick question:

Have any of you tried to replace the rear quick release axle with a non quick release axle (saving weight)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Turns it in to a very attractive proposition. But...

All the talk of busted BB and pivot bearings here makes me think of the utterly crappy factory assembly stories my dealer contacts constantly ***** about. Got a new 'dale FS? Pull all the bearings out and re-pack with Phil grease.

Also boggles my mind that when you get a complete failure like the one you describe Cannondale can't get you on another bike whilst yours is put right. Bonkers.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone have the pivot bearing numbers, or were they listed on the Habit owners manual? I'm not having an issue on my carbon 3, nor is my fiancee, but I'd rather upgrade them now than wait and have an issue on our 3 week shreddymoon in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    Does anyone have the pivot bearing numbers, or were they listed on the Habit owners manual? I'm not having an issue on my carbon 3, nor is my fiancee, but I'd rather upgrade them now than wait and have an issue on our 3 week shreddymoon in Colorado.
    If it's the same as the Bad Habit...

The entire link uses 6802 ZRS (15x24x5) bearings. The lower pivot uses a 6902 (15 x 28 x 7).

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Got my bearing kit today, totally not enduro (bro) so I'm gonna spend the money and get the Enduro Max bearings in hopes they last more then 50 miles.

mtbr member
    What tools are required to replace the bearings please?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm planning to use a bearing removal/install tool I have made by Bicycle Research IIRC. Though there or tons of other common methods, be they "shade tree" or "totally pro", that would also work. Just depends on your skill level and resources I guess.

After I do mine I can write up a how to on various methods if needed.

mtbr member
    I'm planning to use a bearing removal/install tool I have made by Bicycle Research IIRC. Though there or tons of other common methods, be they "shade tree" or "totally pro", that would also work. Just depends on your skill level and resources I guess.

That would be great if you could please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I too would appreciate knowing the tools you use for the job. My bearings, however have not given my any problems and I have perhaps 1000 miles on my bike now.

In post #356 freak6767 mentioned some updated torque spec's. and the mention of the use of lithium grease that he was provided by someone at C'dale. I have not been able to verify the info. with him and I didn't received any reply from C'dale support either. It'd be nice to know if those changes are valid.

Road Bike Review Member
    My Lefty is fixed. Broken wave spring and too much grease. I'm surprised my bike had the wave spring as its only a few months old.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    These bikes are new enough...why not bring them into the shop and have it done for free under warranty.

On my bad habit, my bottom bracket bearings and suspension link bearings were all replaced under warranty.

I would only think of tackling the job if the shop wouldn't cover it

mtbr member
    Awesome ride today in the Yorkshire Dales, this bike is awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Cool place! And nice pics.....Stone Crusher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerlibre View Post
    Cool place! And nice pics.....Stone Crusher.
    Ha ha thanks!

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Very Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    These bikes are new enough...why not bring them into the shop and have it done for free under warranty.

On my bad habit, my bottom bracket bearings and suspension link bearings were all replaced under warranty.

I would only think of tackling the job if the shop wouldn't cover it

4 weeks after dropping my Carbon 1 with my LBS, so 3 weeks at Cannondale UK I still don't have it back. Cannondale have been "short staffed" and "doing training".

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I'm gonna ring them now. I'm even thinking about asking for some compensation. A bike that lasted 140 miles before self destructing !!

LJJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Shame you can't return it to the dealer for a full refund if CSG have it.

Actually scrap that - if you've gone back to your LBS then ask them for a full refund - you are well within your rights to do so.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

At last !

Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Shame you can't return it to the dealer for a full refund if CSG have it.

Actually scrap that - if you've gone back to your LBS then ask them for a full refund - you are well within your rights to do so.
    I got hold of CSG's Cannondale UK Warranty Manager this morning. I wasn't happy. As if by magic the bike is being finished off today, and will be back with my LBS tomorrow:

They have replaced the entire rear triangle as it was damaged by the play in the bearings - this caused by a lack of Locktight-ing and grease, and incorrect torque-ing at the factory. The bearings of the BB axle and Linkage axle have also been replaced, as I think has the BB itself.

They SAY the rear lockout/rebound adjuster problem is also now fixed. That I doubt.

What is sad is:

A) I've had to wait 4 weeks, and they have just held up their hands and said they have been under a lot of pressure recently.

B) Neither Cannondale UK, nor my LBS look at this forum, nor regard its posting as being relevant to themselves; only to us, as end-users.

I told the CD UK guy this morning that there were numerous posts about the issues here on this forum, even from the guy from CD USA who posted, and he just said Yes, there had been a learning curve with the Habits, and that the factoriy was being brought into line with each batch problem. Apparently some batches have been affected by the problems, and some not.

Mmmmmmmm. I'd be interested to hear what other forum members have to say about my experience.

At least I get my £4,500 bike back tm, and THEY SAY, it will be greased, torqued, lock-tightened etc properly.

But to need a new rear triangle after 140 miles !!!!!!! Jesus....

LJJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    4 weeks? That's not bad My F-Si was out for months!

I kinda feel bad for CSG UK in a way...after all, they are dealing with Lemons that the mothership is sending them, and the other shops.

It's not surprising that they aren't pushing the mountain bikes over here; the road bikes give them far fewer problems.

Just wish the mothership would get its QC right the first time - I'd snap up next years Habbit SE if I thought I could trust on a trip to the Alps.

I'll probably buy a Whyte 130 instead.

mtbr member
    caused by a lack of Locktight-ing and grease, and incorrect torque-ing at the factory.
    Perfectly inline with what I mentioned in my earlier post, and the procedure to apply slightly higher torque and locktite, and... a lot of lithium grease!!!!
    Doing this to my carbon 1 shortly after receiving it, really saved my bearings and rear triangle.
    Since then, it's been rock solid! and when I say rock solid, I mean it!
    As I'm very picky with noise/play on one hand, and pedal to the metal on the other, pushing the Habit like I push the Jekyll!

Green bikes all the way!!

Cannondale Habit-ju-green.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any particular reason why Lithium grease is suggested? Would have thought Phil or Red Shop grease would be more resilient. Lithium dries out and crusts real quick in comparison.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I got hold of CSG's Cannondale UK Warranty Manager this morning. I wasn't happy. As if by magic the bike is being finished off today, and will be back with my LBS tomorrow:

They have replaced the entire rear triangle as it was damaged by the play in the bearings - this caused by a lack of Locktight-ing and grease, and incorrect torque-ing at the factory. The bearings of the BB axle and Linkage axle have also been replaced, as I think has the BB itself.

They SAY the rear lockout/rebound adjuster problem is also now fixed. That I doubt.

What is sad is:

A) I've had to wait 4 weeks, and they have just held up their hands and said they have been under a lot of pressure recently.

B) Neither Cannondale UK, nor my LBS look at this forum, nor regard its posting as being relevant to themselves; only to us, as end-users.

I told the CD UK guy this morning that there were numerous posts about the issues here on this forum, even from the guy from CD USA who posted, and he just said Yes, there had been a learning curve with the Habits, and that the factoriy was being brought into line with each batch problem. Apparently some batches have been affected by the problems, and some not.

Mmmmmmmm. I'd be interested to hear what other forum members have to say about my experience.

At least I get my £4,500 bike back tm, and THEY SAY, it will be greased, torqued, lock-tightened etc properly.

But to need a new rear triangle after 140 miles !!!!!!! Jesus....

LJJ
    When I brought up complaints I had read on here to the US warranty guy he said "I don't pay attention to that, I only read the comments on Pink Bike bro". Which is ironic because days later PB posted the 2017 C'dale preview and in the comments people were complaining about Habit pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Any particular reason why Lithium grease is suggested? Would have thought Phil or Red Shop grease would be more resilient. Lithium dries out and crusts real quick in comparison.
    I'm not a fan of lithium grease either and I'm not going to use it. C'dale never responded to an inquiry I sent them regarding that and the increased torques but I do plan on using the higher torque values per freak6767's post.
    I've ordered some grease by Park Tool which is a new product of theirs called HPG-1 High Performance Grease. I also ordered a 0-7 NM beam-style torque wrench. While I have none of the issues others have complained about, I'm planning an overhaul soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi there,

I own a Habit SE.
    Also after a few rides it was also creaking like #*%$
    Bike went back to Cannondale Holland after 2 visits at the LBS.
    When the bike was at Cannondale i received the demo habit from the LBS(creaking as well from a pivot)
    After 2/3 weeks received the bike back. Now it is perfect and no creakings at all.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Cannondale Habit-img_20160709_094333319_hdr.jpg

After much fiddling I guess I can say it's OK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2017 Habit Lineup

since no one has posted pics other than the SE in the PB atricle - here's the '17 Habits. (Note a lot of bikes without a Lefty - and honesty that has me a lot more interested.)

Carbon 1 Lefty 120/Monarch DAXX, Eagle XX1 11s, Hollowgram Carbon wheels, RockShox Reverb Stealth dropper
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23127m_mdn_3.jpg

Carbon 2 Lefty 120/Monarch DAXX, Hollowgram Si crank, XT/XTR 11sp, Arch mk3 wheels, Fox Transfer dropper
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23207m_vug_4.jpg

Carbon SE Pike RC boost 130/float DPS 120, Si Forged crank, X1 11sp group, gudeR brakes, WTB/Formula wheels, Fox transfer dropper
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23267m_pur.jpg

Carbon 3 Pike RC (non-boost) 120mm / Fox DPS 120mm, Crank Si Forged, SLX/XT 11sp, Deore brakes, WTB i23 wheels, TransX dropper
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23357m_ard.jpg

Alloy 4 Revelation RL 120/Monarch RT 120, FSA 2x crank, SLX shift/der 11s, Deore brakes, WTB i23 wheels, pic shows a dropper, spec list does not.
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23457m_bbq.jpg

Alloy 5 Recon Gold RL/Monarch RT, FSA 2x crank, SLX shift/der 11s, M447 brakes, WTB i23 wheels. No dropper.
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23507m_agr_4.jpg

Alloy 6 Recon Silver/x-fusion O2 RL, FSA 2x 10sp crank, X5 1-sp shift/der, Tektro auriga hydros, WTB i23 wheels, No dropper.
    Cannondale Habit-c17_c23607m_blk_4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice, thanks for posting. I like the habit carbon SE, coz pike and 130 front. I also dig the purple.
    The fat caad 1 was my first lefty and I like that enough, too, but pike is great.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast