Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Cool pic and dog!

Has anyone else noticed the price increase on the Habit? I've just checked the Cannondale website as I was looking for the spec of the front mech when I saw that the Habit 1 has risen from 4999 to 7460 here in the UK!

I've never had a bike appreciate in value that quickly!

Anyway I went out for a good ride this morning, my Shorties were definitely the right choice even though things are starting to dry out a little. I was really able to take advantage of the Habit's technical climbing prowess that I haven't previously been able to with the standard tyres and the weather we've had since buying my bike.

I have noticed a creaking coming from the BB area a couple of times during the past couple of rides, might have a go at getting that crank off and lubing it up.
    Thanks, The sale price in US dollars is $7460 so they made a mistake there.
    Good luck taking care of the creaking which reminds me to get a hold of a 5/8" Al. rod for when I need to remove my cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerlibre View Post
    Thanks, The sale price in US dollars is $7460 so they made a mistake there.
    Good luck taking care of the creaking which reminds me to get a hold of a 5/8" Al. rod for when I need to remove my cranks.
    Aah well that makes sense then, must be a glitch in the location code in the site or something.

The creaking kind of comes and goes to be fair but I'll probably just take it to the shop and get them to look at it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any Habit SE owners out there? Thinking about taking the plunge. Currently riding a 2011 Flash with 26" wheels. Will the 1x11 give be sufficient gearing for back country riding with steep climbs? Any overall opinions on the Habit SE?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Whats the widest tires one could fit on the habit?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The clearance is pretty good, I reckon a 2.4 should fit fine, in fact I'll be running one shortly and of course, you can fit what you want in the front!

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 900spg View Post
    Any Habit SE owners out there? Thinking about taking the plunge. Currently riding a 2011 Flash with 26" wheels. Will the 1x11 give be sufficient gearing for back country riding with steep climbs? Any overall opinions on the Habit SE?
    Mine should be in soon. When I get a couple rides on it I'll report back....
    Bike fleet: Scalpel, Habit SE, Synapse Hi Mod, System 6, TJ CX, Trek Speed Concept 9 series, Niner Air Nine, Ridley Noah

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grynning View Post
    Here's mine, a habit 5! It's a sweet ride so now I whish the snow could just go away!
    Looks like yours came with Deore LEVEL brakes too.

I currently piecing together a 5 after I ordered a SE and found out they were on back order for a few months. At least I can minimize the proprietary bits this way and get the parts I really want, even though it'll cost more.

It's actually been a bit of a saga because it got shipped to the wrong state, then I insisted on getting actual current model brakes which, and maybe it's karma, showed up with some leaky positions.

Hopefully the replacements will show up next week and I can be riding within a month of my order. Sounds like the wait will be worth it though.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Whats the widest tires one could fit on the habit?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I have some 2.4" WTB Trail Bosses mounted to KOM I25s on my 5 and there is plenty of clearance, though the tires currently measure just over 2.25" now (New and un-ridden).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
    Mine should be in soon. When I get a couple rides on it I'll report back....
    Thanks! Enjoy the new bike.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Just J,

Re Carbon 1

1st ride I just guessed some pressures in Lefty and rear. Awesome. The Lefty 2.0 is incomparable and the rear (had too much psi) was firm, but the travel was there when required. Blown away. Have now got the suspension somewhat more sorted. Have been GT85-ing the RS rebound lever, as was incredibly stiff from new. Undid the Allen bolt slightly, but it just leaked a little - I'm a cycle mechanic by trade, but the lockout is new to me. Wish neither end had them, but impossible to get rid of Cannondale UK said, without massive expense, so just been spraying and twisting. LBC took off dropper post, as I didn't want that.

The last bits arrived and were put on today. I'll take some pics tomorrow and hopefully post, before I go and get it dirty again on Sunday; also final spec.

Best Cannondale yet (and I've owned most!)

mtbr member
    Hi LJJ

Glad you got the bike and are loving it. I actually get on really well with the lockouts, only using them on long flat bits really but it seems to work well so maybe persevere and see how you get on before pulling them off the bike.

I've got a couple of changes to make on my bike soon, still haven't fitted the oval ring, I've also got a nice One Up Components chain guide that only weighs 20g and and some carbon togs to see how I get on with them. Then it's time to put some summery tyres back on it hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Off to Dalby Forest with the Habit tomorrow, so glad to be on this bike this year and I'm loving it!

It's my first 'Dale although I did buy one for my wife a few years ago but it's definitely not going to be my last, in fact it'll be joined by a Slate in the next few weeks!

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Finally.....

Hi Just J,

Finally attached are 4 pics of my Carbon 1.

I had the LBS take off the dropper post, so you can see the Thompson post, and the less cluttered right hand side 'bar. I have no need for a dropper, and don't want the extra weight. I got a very lightweight KCNC seatpost QR, and some lighter Cannondale lock-on foam grips.

I changed the front brake rotor to 160mm (I'm pretty light), using some different style Avid rotors. Pedals are lightweight Xpedos (243g per pair). I always use these on my bikes. They come from China, and are always very light, cheap, and are maintenance free. I thought I'd try out the Fabric saddle - it seems OK. I normally use SDG Bel Air RLs.

Tyres - everyone says the stiock tyres are rubbish (except you!), and I deliberated long and hard, as I'm a Maxxis man, myself. However I decided on Conti Mountain King 2s (2.25"), in their "Black Chilli" compound, tubeless obviously. They look a bit aggressive, and are great in our mud, but they seem to roll great too, which was a pleasant surprise. I wanted an allround tyre. On my 2 26" bikes, I use Maxxis XC Advantage (Summer), and Maxxis Medusa (Winter).

A bit of copter tape and Crudcatchers, and with pedals, and all that stuff, the Habit weighs in under 25lbs. I'm happy.

I now have a top of the range Lapierre Zesty to sell (boring). I'll get peanuts for it, but I have my Cannondale Scalpel as a spare. I have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon for my road-bike.

Hope you enjoy Dalby. I'm surprised about the Slate. I understand the concept, but it's had very poor reviews.........

Cannondale Habit-cd2.jpgCannondale Habit-cd1.jpgCannondale Habit-cd4.jpgCannondale Habit-cd3.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good LJJ! Glad you're of the flat pedals win medals brigade too!

I had a great time at Dalby thanks, I haven't ridden there for a couple of years and enjoyed it although I did bonk on mile 19, big time!!

The reviews I've read on the Salte have all been very positive apart from when it comes to the tyres, however I won't be buying it unless my LBS can fix the BB creak on my Habit as I seriously wanted to throw the bike down a hill without me on it having to listen to it groan, crack and creak on every single pedal stroke today!

Other than that the bike was faultless, infact the way it handles switchbacks and berms leads me to believe that it's the best handling bike that I've ever owned!! I was also able to clear a lot of things I've struggled on previously.

Interesting tyre selection, I ran these on an Orange Gyro once over but couldn't get on with them, different strokes for different folks though.

As I say I need this BB issue sorting though, it really is that bad now. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Snapped chain for my friend who doesn't believe in looking after his bike or packing tools!

Sitting pretty

Waiting for someone that managed to get lost...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Can anyone direct me to the manual for the Habit Lefty? The only "2.0" manual I can find is for the 100mm 29" Lefty

mtbr member
    Nope, not even the manual that came with the bike lists the 27.5" fork, however I use the column in the middle as a reference and work from there.

I did find this however:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-3U5plRH9nKgJA

What kind of pressures are you guys running in your fork and shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone know which XD body to use with the habit 5? I've tried emailing Cannondale but I haven't got an answer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Thanks for finding this, I couldn't find it in their support section anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

What kind of pressures are you guys running in your fork and shock?
    I'm 165# and have the fork set to the recommended pressure of 102#, maybe slightly higher. On the rear, I set up the sag on the stiff side, near 25%, and have about 220# pressure.

mtbr member
    I'm 165# and have the fork set to the recommended pressure of 102#, maybe slightly higher. On the rear, I set up the sag on the stiff side, near 25%, and have about 220# pressure.
    Thanks for your info, I'm quite a bit heavier than you at 215, I've been running over 300 psi but up until this week I haven't had a shock pump that reads that far, I've just bought a Cannondale one (it's rather nice actually) and I'm going to do some experiments over the weekend.

My LBS replaced the bearings in the BB to try and eradicate the creaking, I also got them to put my Absolute Black ring on there at the same time. I didn't get the chain guide fitted as after my 30 mile blast this weekend it convinced me yet again that 1x11 does not require such a thing!

When I got my bike home I swapped the X1 cassette out with an XX1 I had sitting in my parts box, much more fitting for this bike although you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference other than appearances and a 66g difference in weight.

Going to take the Habit on my 20 mile round comment tomorrow just to see how quick it is!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Your bike looks as new as the day you got it....makes me look bad with all the winter-mud splatter mine has.

Nice looking chainring. I'm assuming that there's just one way to install it, right? Good move letting your LBS put it on as it seems there's a special tool needed for that as well as removing the arms. I'm set up also with the XX1 cassette and chain.

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

Slick looking bike. What is the total weight on that? I have never ridden full sus but...if I could just sell a few of the ponies in my stable.
    Keep on Truckin'

mtbr member
    Your bike looks as new as the day you got it....makes me look bad with all the winter-mud splatter mine has.

Nice looking chainring. I'm assuming that there's just one way to install it, right? Good move letting your LBS put it on as it seems there's a special tool needed for that as well as removing the arms. I'm set up also with the XX1 cassette and chain.
    it had a very thorough clean after this past weekend's mud fest!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiang Mai View Post
    Slick looking bike. What is the total weight on that? I have never ridden full sus but...if I could just sell a few of the ponies in my stable.
    Thanks! This exact setup weighs in at 26.05lbs with those pedals etc.

mtbr member
    ...And the good news having done my commute on the Habit this morning is the creak has gone. Let's hope it stays that way! Maybe I shouldn't wash my bike afterall?...

Road Bike Review Member
    Are the Habit Se models shipping yet? Was supposed to get mine a couple weeks ago but haven't heard anything.......I'm growing impatient Seeing these reviews and a friends Habit in person is making me antzy
    Bike fleet: Scalpel, Habit SE, Synapse Hi Mod, System 6, TJ CX, Trek Speed Concept 9 series, Niner Air Nine, Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just in case at doesn't eliminate the creak....mine was creaking from the BB pivot after only a few rides. Extremely easy and quick to dismantle and grease, though.

My LBS replaced the bearings in the BB to try and eradicate the creaking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Went for a spin this morning after removing the larger volume reducer in my lefty. Still a bit of fine tuning on shock pressure but if my segment times are anything to go by, it was a positive move so far!

Ill second Just J, absolute black chainrings remove the need for a a chain guide (I find the oval shape helps a lot with traction on slippery climbs too).

I've seen mentions around the internet of a possibility of converting the lefty to 130mm travel just like on the Habit SE...anyone have any more info on this?

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

Just in case at doesn't eliminate the creak....mine was creaking from the BB pivot after only a few rides. Extremely easy and quick to dismantle and grease, though.
    Mine seems to have been cured for now but I'll have to invest in the correct tools incase it happens again but I'll definitely be looking at the pivots in a few weeks as a matter of maintenance.
    Last edited by Just J; 03-19-2016 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice ride (with a tea break!) this morning in the North York Moors, as mentioned my BB seems nice and quiet and the bike felt great!

I used the recommended psi in the Lefty and experimented with the rear shock, running much less pressure (down from around 330 to 300 psi!) things feel awesome, nice and active when you want it but efficient too.

The Absolute Black ring felt great, providing more traction and pedalling efficiency.

I'm really getting to know this bike and feeling much more confident on it than I have on most bikes, it's amazing how a 120mm travel bike can be ridden with the abandon that the Habit can be.

Here's some pics from today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Glad you got it resolved and happy to hear your creaking issue was resolved, Just J by replacing the BB.

The sealed bearings of the BB pivot don't sound like it was the cause so did you have some corrosion or grit on the pivot shaft? Did you get water in there? It looks well-sealed and I had thought it would be mostly maintenance-free. How did you dismantle it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I did a lot of climbing today and guess what? Creaking. It's not bad and only noticeable on steep uphills when I'm mashing hard on the pedals so it's hard to decipher. The sound occurs twice per revolution. I'll look to the pedals first as I've had noise on other pedals but I do believe that it's from elsewhere. I'll keep an eye on it and will look first at the pivot bolt and re-grease it. Keep me posted on any further developments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It was mild contamination and a paucity of factory grease along the axle parts. Bearings were fine. "Dismantling" was simple with allen, torx and torque wrenches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It was mild contamination and a paucity of factory grease along the axle parts. Bearings were fine. "Dismantling" was simple with allen, torx and torque wrenches.
    I'll re-grease it then when I can.
    I just came upon a Cannondale Owner's Manual Supplement for the Habit which I found online and has some useful spec's. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Make sure you follow the instructions closely on removal, it's possible to damage the axle. Also, the 3nM spec on the torx bolt is not very much so it's easy to over tighten. Be careful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for the tips.
    I did a little more riding yesterday and noticed the creaking only while seated so I'm going to inspect, clean and grease where I can on the saddle and seatpost.

Update: It seems the creaking noise was coming from the spokes at the point where they cross so I put some oil there and moved them back-and-forth until it stopped.
    Last edited by Bikerlibre; 04-07-2016 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for your info, I'm quite a bit heavier than you at 215, I've been running over 300 psi but up until this week I haven't had a shock pump that reads that far, I've just bought a Cannondale one (it's rather nice actually) and I'm going to do some experiments over the weekend.

My LBS replaced the bearings in the BB to try and eradicate the creaking, I also got them to put my Absolute Black ring on there at the same time.
    Do you know if your LBS changed the BB spacer when they installed you Absolute Black chainring? I've been trying to figure this out. The standard Cannondale SpideRing chainring offset is zero degrees but the oval ring you have is not.

Per the website: Our Cannondale Direct Mount oval chainrings are designed with an offset that works best with Cannondale Ai-drivetrain (FSI). When used on non Ai / FSI Frames, our direct mount oval has 3mm less offset than original, non-Ai Cannondale chainring/spider. So in order to achieve perfect chainline, you will need in this case, to change the spacers on the BB axle and move right side crank closer to the frame..

If there is now 3mm less offset, shouldn't a 3mm wider spacer be used which moves the crank further away from the frame?

mtbr member
    Aah good question. In short, the answer is I do not know but I will find out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

mtbr member
    Here is the webpage where I bought the ring:

absoluteBLACK | Cannondale OVAL direct mount chainring

I'll take extra care this weekend and take note of any rough drivetrain noise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Aah good question. In short, the answer is I do not know but I will find out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Thanks. The Absolute Black website is where I quoted that information above. It's confusing because I don't know if a 3mm shorter or longer spacer is what they are suggesting. 3mm difference in offset isn't a lot but perhaps that's what's needed to re-align the chainline or maybe that's what the guys at your LBS did.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Searamp View Post
    I've seen mentions around the internet of a possibility of converting the lefty to 130mm travel just like on the Habit SE...anyone have any more info on this?
    I have an email from C'dale confirming this. I didn't get as far as part numbers but your local dealer should be able to set it up for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I have an email from C'dale confirming this. I didn't get as far as part numbers but your local dealer should be able to set it up for you.
    Thats for the info, I might tie it in with the next fork service. I love my Habit but I'm surprised C'dale didn't have the lefty as 130mm standard across the range instead of just the SE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Cannondale Habit-p3260003.jpg
    Here is the webpage where I bought the ring:

absoluteBLACK | Cannondale OVAL direct mount chainring

I'll take extra care this weekend and take note of any rough drivetrain noise.
    Here's a picture I've taken showing a measured dimension of about 2.5mm to the center of a tooth on my stock setup. The ruler is in-line with the axle and butted up against the flat side of the metal protector plate. So since absoluteBlack specifies the offset of their rings are for the FSI bikes or AI (symetrical Integration :Ai Drivetrain – Cannondale Bicycles Customer Support), your ring will be about 3mm further out from the frame if your LBS didn't install a 3mm shorter BB spacer. The other thing it says on the absoluteBlack website is that the 3mm shorter spacer will "move the right side crank closer to the frame" I don't think we want to do that. (when I line up the crank arm vertically with the seat tube, the distance is 2.46-2.50" measured with a caliper just below the crank-arm boot to the seat tube. 3mm shorter and our heel may strike the chainstay. Take similar measurements when you can and you'll know if they changed the spacer. It's confusing and technical I know but when I eventually change rings, I'd like to be able to do it myself so I want to get this right. Thanks JJ

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, I have been worrying about it since you mentioned it the other day but haven't had chance to look at it or ask the bike shop that fitted it. I barely had much time to ride this morning although I still managed 10 Habit filled miles!

I will take some time out tomorrow to measure things as you describe and will report back.

On a positive note, we really do have an excellent bike here, this thing blows me away each and every ride for different reasons. Today I hit some DH trails that I regularly ride, I managed to PR them. I'm giving up 40mm front 20mm rear from my last bike which was a Turner Burner and I don't miss a single millimetre!

One thing I need to look at is technical climbs, I find that the suspension doesn't seem as able to climb up tech root climbs but I think that's my setup issue as the suspension seems to squat when I don't want it to. I'll experiment some more when I get chance, it's getting dry now and the clocks go forward tonight so I'll have lots of chance to do this over the next few weeks.

As I say, I'll be back tomorrow once I get chance to measure things up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sounds good. I'm blown away with the bike as well and I've hung up my previous bike and hardly give it a glance anymore. The 120mm is all I've needed so far and it tracks really nice. I'm sure you'll dial in the rear once you spend some time with it. I've not done much with mine either.

Whatever your LBS did, they must've done it right since you haven't mentioned any chainline, shifting or crankarm issues so that's good.

mtbr member
    Yes I think if the chain line was out I'd have issues somewhere, I also use a Garmin cadence sensor on the inside of the none drive side crank arm, so I think I'd have seen and notices clearance issues there. We'll see tomorrow though.

mtbr member
    Hi, so I tried to replicate your measurements as best as I could but as you can see mine seems to be much further out:

I also measured the crank, firstly the distance from the seat tube in inches:

And secondly from the chain stay:

The difference between the stock measurement and mine with the Absolute Black chainring is a concern.

mtbr member
    I tried to get a more accurate measurement, this time from the centre of a tooth to the outside of the main pivot, I'd be interested to see what your measurement is compared to mine (32.01mm) please:

I also took this pic that probably shows that the shop didn't add any spacers:

When you hold the original Spidering next to the AB you can see that the Spidering is much deeper and that's why the AB ring is so much further out.

I just wish things were more user serviceable on this bike, as I'd have the rings swapped back over by now, if I was dealing with a Next SL or Turbine Cinch crank.

Road Bike Review Member
    Anyone rig up some kind of rock guard yet for the down tube, something like what a Scalpel has? I'll be building my Habit SE up next week and would really like some kind of protection down there.

mtbr member
    Anyone rig up some kind of rock guard yet for the down tube, something like what a Scalpel has? I'll be building my Habit SE up next week and would really like some kind of protection down there.
    It's a good idea, they are definitely prone to catching rock strikes under the BB, I'd be interested in seeing what people can come up with.

Road Bike Review Member
    It's a good idea, they are definitely prone to catching rock strikes under the BB, I'd be interested in seeing what people can come up with.
    There are guards on eBay that fit other cannondales. I might get one and make it work.

mtbr member
    You can buy the protection from the current Jekyll 650b, works perfect on Habit Carbon 1 (only a slight modification, but very easy)
    Will send pictures.

Kit Guard Down-Tube Jekyll Carbon 27,5

mtbr member
    That looks really good thank you, look forward to seeing your pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I tried to get a more accurate measurement, this time from the centre of a tooth to the outside of the main pivot, I'd be interested to see what your measurement is compared to mine (32.01mm) please:

When you hold the original Spidering next to the AB you can see that the Spidering is much deeper and that's why the AB ring is so much further out.
    My measurement from the center of a tooth to the outside of of the main pivot is about 28.07mm so your ring is further out by about 4mm. FSI and AI drivetrains are shifted 6mm outward. I don't know why the don't make rings for our standard offset. But since you're not indicating any shifting issues perhaps there is some acceptable leeway with the chainline. To bring your chainline back, you could add a 3-4mm narrower spacer
    but then your crankarm would be closer in and that may not be so good. The measurements you took by the way of the crankarm-seattube and crankarm-chainstay are from the non-drive side . My drive-side dimensions (measured like you did from the crankarm boot) for the are crankarm-seatube approx. 2.25" and crankarm-chainstay approx 0.30".
    Printed on the spidering there is a spacer dimension which reads 14.1? I can't quite make it out because of the lockring. Check that when you can. FYI, there is a discounted lock ring removal tool on ebay and the crankarm removal tool I have used on an XT crank also works for the Hollowgram SI.

mtbr member
    Thank you, I'll have a look for the tools.

From the drive side:

I did actually notice a rough sound from the drivetrain yesterday although my first thoughts were that the rear hub might need tearing down (again any advise anyone can give on this task as I'm used to Hope hubs, would be most appreciated!), but it could also have something to do with this chainring I guess, I have also noted that shifting is not quite as crisp now too. I'm just going to take the ring off as it potentially seems more trouble than it's worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for the pics. Ok so you've got the same measurement as me from the seattube and the chainstay measurement is a bit hard to take. So they didn't change your BB spacer and anything narrower would be putting the crankarm too close in. Sorry you had some rough shifting, probably on the lower gears. I was hoping it would work well. Perhaps if we send AB some e-mails asking for standard-offset rings? My stock ring has printing on the inside which yours does not like "49 CL"-referring to the chainline and "Spacer 14.1.." Thanks again

mtbr member
    Thank you also, this has been a learning curve and I like doing this kind of thing in the eternal quest to find the optimum setup! On this case the standard setup is pretty darn good. I will of course be able to see how I feel once the Spidering is back on the bike and if I miss the oval ring.

I think what you say about talking to AB could be the way forward here.

Research is good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes, quite an education! Too bad the Habit was not designed with the AI. There must be other C'dale models without it as well and a market for rings that suit. Another mfr. that makes elliptical rings is wolftoothcomponents.com. They have no elliptical rings yet for the Hollowgram but their round rings are specified exclusively for the non-AI design C'dales. So maybe it's just a matter of time and a little prompting from us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've had great success with these guys. Awesome customer service and super quick shipping to USA. Works great on my Habit 1.

Direct mount ovals for Hollowgram. From 26-44t too! Colors.

Cannondale Hollowgram Melon - Direct Mount - Oval Chainrings

mtbr member
    Nicer looking than the AB too!

I don't suppose you'd mind making some measurements like mine and Bikerlibre's would you please?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks, nice looking rings. What size are you using? Glad to hear it works good. Check the dimension center-of-tooth to outside of main pivot when you can.

The description detail on the website states "Compatible with Cannondale F-SI frame". I was wondering what this meant so I contacted the company. They said they can make either the standard-offset rings which we have or F-SI rings. I'm not sure then if that meant the rings for purchase on the website are standard but I think so. Best to contact them when ordering.

I wrote to Wolf Tooth Components and they replied that sometime this summer they will have compatible rings.
    Last edited by Bikerlibre; 03-28-2016 at 09:23 AM.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Hi,

I got my LBS to contact Cannondale about this. I posted their findings on another related post (Habit vs Scalpel). Because of the lock out remote, it will be very difficult and very expensive to convert to 130mm as per the SE. Not impossible, but difficult and expensive in parts and labour.

Nor can us Habit 1 owners drop internal volume spacers in easily to adjust the suspension set up, again because of the lock out. I asked about "losing" the lockouts and remotes as well. The Lefty lock out remote can be replaced by the PBR lockout (at a cost), but our Monarch Debonair shock still needs a different remote, or a complete shock replacement for one without a remote. Since RS have worked on the Monarch's tune with Cannondale, a stock RS Monarch Debonair won't be the same. I HATE lock outs. And, as per this topic..... They go wrong!

LJJ

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LJJ View Post
    Hi,

I got my LBS to contact Cannondale about this. I posted their findings on another related post (Habit vs Scalpel). Because of the lock out remote, it will be very difficult and very expensive to convert to 130mm as per the SE. Not impossible, but difficult and expensive in parts and labour.

Nor can us Habit 1 owners drop internal volume spacers in easily to adjust the suspension set up, again because of the lock out. I asked about "losing" the lockouts and remotes as well. The Lefty lock out remote can be replaced by the PBR lockout (at a cost), but our Monarch Debonair shock still needs a different remote, or a complete shock replacement for one without a remote. Since RS have worked on the Monarch's tune with Cannondale, a stock RS Monarch Debonair won't be the same. I HATE lock outs. And, as per this topic..... They go wrong!

LJJ
    That was the guy I talked to on the phone implied but then I got this email;

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Here is what the FTR guys told me about changing the travel.

They just need to change the air piston kit to KH190/ We should have those in stock on 2/3/16. They can do that at the shop.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John Wilkins | Customer Service Representative"
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 03-28-2016 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The clearance is pretty good, I reckon a 2.4 should fit fine, in fact I'll be running one shortly and of course, you can fit what you want in the front!
    Thanks for the info. Habit will be have to be put on hold. I went with Bad Habit instead. 3.0 tires fit just fine.

Cannondale Habit-20160326_120221.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hi,

LJJ
    Hi LJJ,
    Having a lockout on your lefty should not impact your ability to play with your internal spacers...they go in the bottom of the fork. Just flip your bike upside down, let all the pressure out (cover your brake rotor as a tiny mist of oil will come out), use a spanner to take off the valve and voila, you're in. There are 2 spacers, a 25mm and a 5mm. I took both out. You will need to increase the fork pressure a little to get the same sag.

big_papa_nuts,
    Thanks for the info on the conversion. Did they give you a price "to change the air piston kit to KH190"?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Hi LJJ,
    Having a lockout on your lefty should not impact your ability to play with your internal spacers...they go in the bottom of the fork. Just flip your bike upside down, let all the pressure out (cover your brake rotor as a tiny mist of oil will come out), use a spanner to take off the valve and voila, you're in. There are 2 spacers, a 25mm and a 5mm. I took both out. You will need to increase the fork pressure a little to get the same sag.

big_papa_nuts,
    Thanks for the info on the conversion. Did they give you a price "to change the air piston kit to KH190"?
    Nope. I wound up just getting a 5, partially to avoid proprietary parts, and putting a 130mm Pike on it.

mtbr member
    I went to my shop this afternoon with my bike and the intention to swap the rings back to standard, however I forgot my Spidering! Do'h!

Anyway my friend in the shop lent me the tools and I've just completed the swap myself.

The Hollowgram crank is very light, I use a Next SL and without weighing them I'm sure this crank feels lighter. It's a very nice bit of kit that's for sure!

Anyway all back to standard now, the Spidering is a really nice ring anyway, oval or not!

mtbr member
    Hi,

LJJ
    Having lockout doesn't prevent you from increasing your lefty to 130mm (done on my habit carbon 1, and the double remote is still there, fully functional)

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by freak6767 View Post
    Having lockout doesn't prevent you from increasing your lefty to 130mm (done on my habit carbon 1, and the double remote is still there, fully functional)
    How did you find the change? Worth it?
    Does it extend your axle to crown measurement or reduce the tire clearance at full compression?
    What did it cost for parts?

Road Bike Review Member
    Built up my Habit Se last night. Switched the rubber to Conti snakeskin 2.4s front and rear and made them tubeless. The only part on the bike I hate is the bars, they have to go. Too low and wide. Can't wait to shake it down after work......

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I went to my shop this afternoon with my bike and the intention to swap the rings back to standard, however I forgot my Spidering! Do'h!

Anyway my friend in the shop lent me the tools and I've just completed the swap myself.

The Hollowgram crank is very light, I use a Next SL and without weighing them I'm sure this crank feels lighter. It's a very nice bit of kit that's for sure!

Anyway all back to standard now, the Spidering is a really nice ring anyway, oval or not!
    I've yet to remove the crank. Nice to hear how light it is.

I just received a reply from AB and they confirmed that they don't offer a standard-offset ring now but they may in the future. So Garbaruk is the only current option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You can buy the protection from the current Jekyll 650b, works perfect on Habit Carbon 1 (only a slight modification, but very easy)
    Will send pictures.

Kit Guard Down-Tube Jekyll Carbon 27,5
    Do you have pictures of this you can post here?

Road Bike Review Member
    There are guards on eBay that fit other cannondales. I might get one and make it work.
    Well, I took a chance and bought a guard for a Xl trigger 26er on eBay. Was 25 bucks for a piece of plastic with double sided adhesive on it lol. Anyway, I cut out a "window" with a carpet knife that the cable guide could go through. It fits perfect and will definitely give me some piece of mind when the rocks go flying.
    Took the bike for a shake down run on some tame local trails where I live and damn does it feel good. Had to change the bars and torture devices that cannondale think are grips. First real ride on it wil hopefully be through Wissahickon tomorrow.....can't wait. Have to get my road miles in today first though

Road Bike Review Member
    What an awesome bike! I took it on its maiden voyage through Wissahickon on Sunday. It climbs much better than I though it would. While my Scalpel is definitely faster going up, this thing kills it on the way down. Even though it only has 20/30 mm more travel than the Scalpel, it feels like much more. The steering was more precise as well, but I think the crest wheels on the Scalpel are a bit flexy. Can't wait to get back there when I get the cockpit sorted out and the grip shift on (yes, I prefer them over trigger shifters )
    Oh yeah, the rock guard was a good add on. It already saved my down tube from a hard hit.

mtbr member
    How are you guys finding technical climbing? I just can't get into my stride with it, if I'm not hitting my pedals on something the suspension is wallowing and not helping. It's my one and only gripe with the bike but I'm still hoping the problem lies with me!

Road Bike Review Member
    It does sit really low. It ate up some rocky and steep climbs, but I did have trouble climbing up steep ledges that were all in a row. I think locking out the rear end will help, going to try that next time I go up that stair case.

mtbr member
    Glad it's not just me, thanks

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I havent had any issues climbing on the steep root-infested stuff locally. One of the trails here has a fairly steep, 8 switchback, climb with some nice rocky switchbacks. I do run the rear locked out. But I've only hit the local loops as I havent had appropriate weather/days off timing to play at the more fun trails around Ohio. I'm planning on going to pre-ride the enduro race trails in the next few weeks and we will see how it goes with the most tech and rocky trails we have around here. So far I've been very happy with my Carbon 3. Even with me being out of shape for the season, it makes every ride enjoyable and fun compared to my last two bikes...

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

I guess I'm going to have to try out that lockout some more but the type of climbs I'm struggling on are the real step up types over rocks and roots.

I find the bike to be the best climbing bike I've ridden on tight switchbacks but as far as the more chundery stuff, I'm still learning how best to approach it on this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The bottom bracket sits lower than my last bike so it's taking me a little getting used to. I do get pedal strikes unexpectedly on occasion but as time goes by this season, I'm getting stronger and am able to ride a little more effectively to avoid strikes. I'm also used to lower gearing and have thought about a 28T ring or 46T cog but as I'm gaining strength and the ground is getting harder, I'm holding back. I made it clean through a difficult rock section the other day. It was also a VO2 max section so I felt good getting through. I had to muscle my way up and through and played it just right. I tend not to think about the lockout but I should.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How are you guys finding technical climbing? I just can't get into my stride with it, if I'm not hitting my pedals on something the suspension is wallowing and not helping. It's my one and only gripe with the bike but I'm still hoping the problem lies with me!
    Hi Just J,
    What sag are you running rear? Use google translate to look at this site Linkage Design: Cannondale Habit 27.5'' 2016
    You'll see that running less sag increases anti sag under power (when looking at the graphs remember that wheel travel is not the same as shock travel as it isn't a linear linkage). Also increases small bump compliance (the force graph doesn't take into account the progressive nature of an air shock and the force required to bend the stays as its zero pivot) and increase bottom bracket height. Might be worth experimenting...

Road Bike Review Member
    For the taller guys riding this bike......anyone switch to a slightly longer stem? I think the stubby 60 mm stem is a little too short for most xc stuff. I ordered an 80 mm, hopefully it helps a bit. The bike feels a little too cramped for my tastes, but I am used to a Scalpel with a 110 mm stem on it

mtbr member
    Hi Just J,
    What sag are you running rear? Use google translate to look at this site Linkage Design: Cannondale Habit 27.5'' 2016
    You'll see that running less sag increases anti sag under power (when looking at the graphs remember that wheel travel is not the same as shock travel as it isn't a linear linkage). Also increases small bump compliance (the force graph doesn't take into account the progressive nature of an air shock and the force required to bend the stays as its zero pivot) and increase bottom bracket height. Might be worth experimenting...
    Thank you for sending that over, I'll have a look at it today and start some experimenting again however I do know that I'm currently getting 30% sag at 300psi. I'll let you know what I find after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thank you for sending that over, I'll have a look at it today and start some experimenting again however I do know that I'm currently getting 30% sag at 300psi. I'll let you know what I find after this weekend.
    300 psi seems very high for 30% sag (my shock has a sticker on it saying its only rated to 275psi). Have you tried putting some bands in your air can?
    I've put my shimano cranks with an absolute black oval chainring on. I've found the oval helps on climbs.
    On a side note, I had noticed that my brakes were a bit below par, thought it might have been air in the line, had a look at the rotor and noticed only half the friction area was wearing. Turns out the pads were chamfered (came that way) front and rear so only contacting half the disk. Changed the pads, problem solved!! Worth having a look if you thing your brakes aren't quite right

mtbr member
    300 psi seems very high for 30% sag (my shock has a sticker on it saying its only rated to 275psi). Have you tried putting some bands in your air can?
    I've put my shimano cranks with an absolute black oval chainring on. I've found the oval helps on climbs.
    On a side note, I had noticed that my brakes were a bit below par, thought it might have been air in the line, had a look at the rotor and noticed only half the friction area was wearing. Turns out the pads were chamfered (came that way) front and rear so only contacting half the disk. Changed the pads, problem solved!! Worth having a look if you thing your brakes aren't quite right
    Which model Habit do you own? My shock says it's good for 350psi however at 215-225lbs with kit, I know I will be quickly approaching this to get 25% sag, but I'll definitely try it out this weekend to see for sure.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quickjuan View Post
    How tall are ya and what size bike you riding?
    6"2" and I rode an Xl. I've always ridden xc set ups so maybe the laid back cockpit will just need some getting used to

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For the taller guys riding this bike......anyone switch to a slightly longer stem? I think the stubby 60 mm stem is a little too short for most xc stuff. I ordered an 80 mm, hopefully it helps a bit. The bike feels a little too cramped for my tastes, but I am used to a Scalpel with a 110 mm stem on it
    I ride a large and am 6'. My thoughts were the same as yours and my LBS put on a 65mm stem. I wanted to go longer but thought I'd progress with it. I then rotated the handlebars forward and it gave me a lot more cockpit room so try that for some additional room if the 80mm still seems cramped.

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

So I set my shock to 25% sag and headed out into the sun (and the mud) this morning. Things felt better, there's definitely more mid range support there so hopefully that's the end of that. Thanks for your help with this guys.

I fitted a 150mm Reverb last week, good to be able to get even lower for some of the steeper trails around these parts.

I also tried out some WTB Trail Boss 2.4's and was impressed with their performance in the mud and also the trails that had less of the brown stuff too. A good compromise between Maxxis Shorties and the standard Schwalbes in that respect.

I've also fitted some Bike Togs to my bike, they seem to give some more hand position options and coupled with my ESI Fit CR grips make a very comfortable setup. I found that I had more control on climbs and less fatigue in my hands.

One last thing to note is I'm not missing my oval chain ring which speaks volumes in itself, I think.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi,

Sorry for late reply. I just posted what my LBS told me the local Cannondale rep said.

Do you think the extra travel is worth it ? And what was the cost ?

Cheers
    LJJ

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi LJJ,

big_papa_nuts,
    Hi, sorry for late reply, and thanks for the info. My point was really about getting rid of the lockouts. I read an interview with a Cannondale Marketing man, and he said "Habit is not a bike for XC racers" ! So why go put a double lockout on it ?? Just additional hoses, weight, and something to go wrong ( which has already occurred to someone posting on this thread).

Cheers

LJJ

old biker
    Jan 2007
    hi guys ,

i'm 84 kg weight and i run my carbon 2 with 210 psi rear ( 40% sag ) and 120 psi front
    ( 20% sag = 30 mm) .

- the monarch work only 1 cm over the sag , it seem very difficult , not impossible , to go beyond , but anyway is not too bad .
    - the lefty never work more 60/70 mm over the sag ...i try with different pressure but if i reduce the pression i have a fork little strengthen ...

what do you think about ?
    what pressure are you riding ?

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just J,

That middle pic against the log pile is awesome.

LJJ

mtbr member
    Just J,

That middle pic against the log pile is awesome.

LJJ
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbi View Post
    hi guys ,

i'm 84 kg weight and i run my carbon 2 with 210 psi rear ( 40% sag ) and 120 psi front
    ( 20% sag = 30 mm) .

- the monarch work only 1 cm over the sag , it seem very difficult , not impossible , to go beyond , but anyway is not too bad .
    - the lefty never work more 60/70 mm over the sag ...i try with different pressure but if i reduce the pression i have a fork little strengthen ...

I weigh 165 and I'm running 95 up front and 230 rear. Just under 30% sag. I think it's perfect that way.
    I also just switched to a higher rise, less wide (stock bar is ridiculously wide lol) and gripshift (yup, I love gripshift ) and now he bike is perfect. Also running Conti x King 2.4s front and rear

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I'm at 155 running 90psi in the front and roughly 220 in the rear at around 30% sag. I've enjoyed it so far. I run stock cockpit with ergon GE-1 grips. I changed to Hans Dampf 2.35 @ 23psi for a front tire, Racing Ralph 2.25 @ 25psi in the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So I set my shock to 25% sag and headed out into the sun (and the mud) this morning. Things felt better, there's definitely more mid range support there so hopefully that's the end of that. Thanks for your help with this guys.
    Glad it worked. I definitely rather slightly less sag than recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by barbi View Post
    hi guys ,

( 20% sag = 30 mm) .

Hey mate,
    it's less important what psi people are running as they are different weights of have different volume air springs. The most important thing is sag. Cannondale recommends 30% front and rear. I've found around 27% rear is best for me.
    I also removed the volume spacers in the lefty. I was very happy with the results. If you're not getting full travel out of your suspension at the correct sag your air Spring is too progressive and you'd be best taking the spacers out.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Habit tech drawing

Hi All,

My LBS sent me this diagram of the Habit, which has complete part nos for the frame etc. If I can get it to load up, it may be of use to you all
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    That's awesome thank you!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast