Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    So I've just returned from an 18 mile XC ride with a bit of everything thrown in and I am very happy with my new Habit! It's exactly what I wanted it to be, XC fast yet confident everywhere else too.

I find that I'm using the lockout button but in a good way, I've never been a fan of having to bend over and use levers and I like bikes that don't generally need them but I find with the Habit it has a real purpose and it will come in handy.

Part of my ride consists of a high speed up hill rock garden which in itself sounds weird but is an absolute blast. I found the Habit to be very confident and nice and stiff, very fast to react and just plain fast everywhere.

I had an Intense Spider 275 a few months back but it certainly wasn't anywhere near as talented as the Habit. I was looking for a bike to take on fast long rides but never gelled with the Intense so it went pretty quickly, I'm glad I held out for the Cannondale that's for sure! This is a true replacement for the fastest bike I've ever ridden across XC rides, which was my Yeti SB95c. I reckon this has it licked and it's definitely the bike I'd choose to do an event such as the BC Bike Race which is a goal of mine.

The bike is an excellent climber, I'd only use the lockout on the smoother climbs because the suspension is so efficient it helps with traction and makes a very able technical climber. Very impressed!

mtbr member
    Thanks for you review Just J.
    How tall are you and what size have you chosen?

mtbr member
    I'm 5ft 11 and went with a large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I'm 5ft 11 and went with a large.
    Uhm well. I am between 5.10 and 5.11.
    How did you end up with this size choice? Tried the medium eventually before choosing?

mtbr member
    I always ride frames anywhere between 18 and 19.5, this fits me perfectly. I've been fitted up a few times professionally so know what should work for me and my long legs and arms.

mtbr member
    Thanks Just J. Helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by massi.rav View Post
    Thanks Just J. Helpful.
    No problem at all

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I'm taking my Carbon 3 out tomorrow, so ill give you the carbon with alloy rear-end minus remote lockout review. I'm in the same boat as just j @ 5' 11" on the large frame. Fairly long arms with shorter legs (29" inseam) but the reach is bang on for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice looking bikes! You two are going to have a fun weekend for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Glad to hear you're very happy with your Carbon-1. I'm jealous and still waiting on mine here in the states. The remote lockout should be cool for sure but nice to know that it won't be needed for a lot of the riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys I am very happy with my choice and can't wait to cover many miles on this bike!

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Dual reviews:

Habit 4: (dictated from my fiancee). An awesome bike! Coming off a two xc race hardtails, the bike climbs surprisingly well. With a much shorter front end, the front of the bike was surprisingly planted on steep climbs. On the downhills, it inspired a confidence that previous bikes haven't, especially when things got sketchy. Very happy with her decision to let me brainwash her!

Habit Carbon 3: What a bike! I'm not use to the progression of the Debonair especially coming off of three fairly xc race oriented suspension designs/rear shocks (Scalpel, Rocky ETS-X, and Anthem 29) and most recently a hardtail. I initially thought the rear was much much more plush than it was suppose to be. After messing with the suspension set up on what the local mtb group calls a pump track, I decided to just hit the trail and dial it in on there instead. On the grassy lead in/sprint to the singletrack, the bike is FAST, it rolls up to speed very quickly on the flats (platform never turned on during the ride). Once in the woods, this bike wants you to dance with it and begs you to play off of every root lip, drop, and yump.

When the elevation goes up, the you sink into the suspension a bit, but it holds you there keeping the tires firmly planted. We have a 6 switchback climb that is steep, and pretty rocky with loose stuff. I never felt like it was going to fall back off the bike, the front never wandered off course, much more comfortable situation to be in on it than most of my previous bikes there. I look forward to doing longer climbs more than the previous bikes i've been on, which scares me

Next up was the flowy/rocky/f*** hardtails sections that were previously white knuckled unless impressing the ladies, newbies, or employer. Nothing, were there even rocks there before. I'm not sure. Just pure nasty sexy speed, I could see Ricky Bobby riding this bike.

Now for the return down the hill. This bikes leaves you frothing at the mouth, begging for more negative altitude. every off camber, root garden, blind switchback made me push harder. At speed direction change feels like you're on rails increasing confidence of any situation.

I never even thought about the Fabric saddle during the ride. I don't know what better compliment you could give a saddle...

Set-Up: Hans Dampf 2.35 front tire, Racing Ralph 2.25 rear. Both tubeless. Ergon GE1 grips. Ice-tech Rotors and Pads. Only other thing that I think i'll put on this winter is a dropper post.

Cannondale Habit-img_20151117_114822.jpg
    Last edited by EskimoFriend; 11-17-2015 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    Mine finally came in, and my fiancee decided to make us THAT gross couple. His and Her Habits!!! I built both of them up yesterday.Attachment 1028552Attachment 1028553
    I spent the last three days test riding a Habit 4. It seemed heavy to me. Since you have a 3 and a 4 available how big of a weight difference do you notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    There's a few pounds difference between the two of them (Her's is just shy of 30, mine was just over 27lbs out of the box before I swapped rotors, pads, and tires and pulled the plastic bits off). Her's is a small and I'm on the large.

It's pretty easy to shed weight on both of them with a lighter cassette as I think that's what making the backend pretty heavy. Replace the crankset on the 4 for some more weight savings. Ride wise, the front of mine does feel much lighter popping over stuff than hers, but just use a bit more 'ass' behind the seat and its not noticeable.

They're both heavier than what we had previously (she was on a carbon hardtail, aluminum hardtail myself) but on the trail they certainly don't feel like it to us. It surprised me to hear her to say that as her upper body strength is lacking (her words, not mine).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    One thing I couldn't get along with were the Schwalbe tires it came with.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Neither one of us are running the stock tires, they are in our loaner tire bin at home. We are both on Schwalbes, Racing Ralph f/r for her, hans damph/racing ralph for myself. Both on tubeless. Very happy with the tire set up. To each their own on tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cannondale Habit

Agreed. I'm currently running Ardents on my bike and they give good grip on the current layer of autumn leaves, the Schwalbes slipped out from under me several times. It might also have a lot to do with tire pressure, I was running higher than normal to avoid pinch flatting. Otherwise I enjoyed the bike a lot.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Quick update: reweighed both bikes: Habit Carbon 3 Large, Ice-tech rotors and tubeless upgrades is right around 26.75 lbs. Habit Alloy 4 small, bars cut down to 730, tubeless tire swap dropped the bike almost a pound to 28.8 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Habit 1 .....so far so good :-)

Cannondale Habit-img_1412.jpg

Hi.....thought I better post pic of my new baby; pre-first ride.
    All going well......just done 1st night ride tonight too, and it's really starting to feel connected after riding a 26 for the last 10 year!!
    Looking forward to replacing the rear tyre this w/e as the RR is extremely twitchy in the mud.

Also not too sure about the dropper post yet.......having never had 1 for 30 years , questioning the need now. But I will continue to see if it can add something new.......

Can someone recommend the correct size/make crank boots please ?

mtbr member
    Looks good!

You'll be needing a pair of Raceface Crank Boots for carbon cranks because their alloy crank boots don't fit, take it from me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice!
    I'm not used to a dropper either so time will tell if I'll use it.
    I'm considering crank boots and covering the arms with protective tape. These guys have a nice package deal:
    Crank Ends Crank Boots by RaceFace (Standard Size) + CLEAR Crankskins ? Crankskins.com

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Seeing the sign in your pics for the N Yorks Moor Nat Park, you're obviously in the UK. How come you've got a Habit 1, when Cannondale UK say they land Dec 15th ?

I'm ordering my Habit 1 on Monday

mtbr member
    I don't know really but my dealer is very friendly with Cannondale and I had it on order quite a while.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't know really but my dealer is very friendly with Cannondale and I had it on order quite a while.
    Hi, there's another post here "2016 Scalpel vs Habit 4" where a couple of people say the 120mm Lefty has a spacer in the bottom, and if removed the travel goes to 130mm (as per the SE version), obviously without any weight penalty. Having ridden the bike yourself, do you think this would be worthwhile ??

Cheers
    LJJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJJ View Post
    Hi, there's another post here "2016 Scalpel vs Habit 4" where a couple of people say the 120mm Lefty has a spacer in the bottom, and if removed the travel goes to 130mm (as per the SE version), obviously without any weight penalty. Having ridden the bike yourself, do you think this would be worthwhile ??

Cheers
    LJJ
    Personally I won't be bothering with that mod as I have other bikes that are more gravity oriented and this is my XC bike. I can't see it doing any harm though and I'm sure it would be worthwhile for anyone wanting to use the bike as an all rounder.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi, and thanks. Ditto, but I'm trying to "lose" my 140mm bike. Got too many !

Cheers

mtbr member
    Hi, and thanks. Ditto, but I'm trying to "lose" my 140mm bike. Got too many !

Cheers
    Hi

No problem at all just let me know if you have anymore questions.

The best way of losing a bike is buying another!

Seriously though, the Habit could definitely take the roll as an all rounder, it's a very capable bike and for most people would definitely take the role of a trail bike and XC whippet.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Hi
    Seriously though, the Habit could definitely take the roll as an all rounder, it's a very capable bike and for most people would definitely take the role of a trail bike and XC whippet.
    I concur!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How are you guys liking the short 60mm stem with the swept-back bars?
    I know everyone's setup for comfort is different but for me the combination seems like the cockpit is a bit cramped on a large frame. I', 6' tall and my current bike has a 110mm stem with bars that don't sweep as far back. The horizontal top tube length is almost exactly the same. I know it's easy to swap stems out but are you guys comfortable with it as is and will I be messing too much with it's geometry by putting myself more in a XC-hunched-over position that I am currently used to or should I respect this bikes geometry for what it is?

mtbr member
    I like the stem and bars they seem perfect to me and pretty much what I'm used to. I'm just a touch under 6ft.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Coming off a Scott Scale 740 which sounds like it has the same cockpit set up, I find it very comfortable. I'm 5'11" with long arms. The wide bars make up for the shorter stem in you body position so it really feels fairly similar, except that your more open in the chest now. I think if you were to drop a longer stem on it, you'd lose some of the playfulness of the Habit. I'd be comfortable doing all the XC and 6 hour races (Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky) I did with the Scale aboard the Habit, and as well as the enduro's that I dabbled in with a friend's Genius.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll leave the stock setup in-place until I try it then. I don't want to loose that playful ride so I just need to remember it's not like my XC hard-tail bike.

mtbr member
    Interesting reviews guys (and gals)......trying to determine the next bike for me will be. Have been just swapping parts here and there to keep my 2008 Rush oing along with a few other bikes that I rotate (2 older Ibis rides and a fatty).

Was looking hard at a Tracer A but I like the thought of the Carbon 3 habit as well.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerlibre View Post
    How are you guys liking the short 60mm stem with the swept-back bars?
    I know everyone's setup for comfort is different but for me the combination seems like the cockpit is a bit cramped on a large frame. I', 6' tall and my current bike has a 110mm stem with bars that don't sweep as far back. The horizontal top tube length is almost exactly the same. I know it's easy to swap stems out but are you guys comfortable with it as is and will I be messing too much with it's geometry by putting myself more in a XC-hunched-over position that I am currently used to or should I respect this bikes geometry for what it is?
    Get an XL. You can have an efficient climbing position and good handling. The trend is to buy a bike with a longer top tube and shorter stem than your last bike. My XC race bike is a XL Santa Cruz 5010 with a 70mm stem. It's very similar to the Habit.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks, My current bike has about the same horiz. top tube length but I'm stretched out with a long stem. So an XL would indeed work for me. I think I'm going to swap out the swept-back stock bars though which contributes a bit I think to the cramped-cockpit feel. I'm going to have the guys at the LBS do a physical comparison with my current bike with an open mind towards the current trend. Thanks again.

Gears4Good.org
    Today I ordered the Habit 2, which should arrive in about a week. I'm 5'8" and ordered a medium (which is what I expected) after having a large to demo for a few days (Habit 3). The size large with the stock 60mm stem had almost exactly the same reach (saddle tip to center of bars) as my SC Highball setup (size medium, 100mm stem). It was fine, but too long for this type of bike. FYI, the large Habit Carbon 3 weighed 27.8 pounds with tubes and without the plastic frisbee, reflectors, or pedals. Stoked to get mine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    From Sweden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Habit-img_2952.jpg  

Gears4Good.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzr View Post
    From Sweden
    Nice! What size is that?

bike rider
    I think I'm going to swap out the swept-back stock bars though which contributes a bit I think to the cramped-cockpit feel. I'm going to have the guys at the LBS do a physical comparison with my current bike with an open mind towards the current trend. Thanks again.
    Bar sweep is relative to width. As bars have gotten wider they've gotten more sweep to meet the wrists correctly. A bar between 700-740mm will suit this bike and it'll have around 9° backsweep & 4° upsweep. Those are the specs off my Bontrager RXL flat top bar which has a 5mm rise. Tey something like that first. On an XL frame you'll have a range of stems from 50-80mm to dial in reach.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seneb View Post
    Nice! What size is that?
    It's size medium

mtbr member
    Sorry for maybe à stupid question, will a habit SE carbon fit 27,5+ Tyres?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Sorry for maybe à stupid question, will a habit SE carbon fit 27,5+ Tyres?
    No you will definitely need a Bad Habit to be able to run 27.5+.

mtbr member
    No you will definitely need a Bad Habit to be able to run 27.5+.

Thank you, that was my guess to.

So the question is: do i want a carbon habit with maybe 2,4 tyres or a bad habit? will them 3" tyres realy give me the exta damping i am guessing that i want?
    Or am i just another sucker for marketing?

The big advantage with the bad habit is (for me) that you can have both 27,5 and 27,5+, but i realy fancy that carbonframe, any guess if the bad habit comes in carbon for 2017?

mtbr member

Cannondale Habit

From my experience I'd say stick with wider rims and around 2.4" tyres on something without the "Plus" designation.

I have been experimenting this year, I have Ibis 741's on one bike, I have the Habit 1 and a Charger Cooker 0 SS plus bike. I also, up until recently owned a fatbike and a couple of 29ers and I'm looking for another of each but I wanted to experience all the wheels sizes and widths that I could.

The plus stuff is fun in the same way as a fat bike is fun but for me, for all round riding, a "normal" trail/XC bike (with either 29" or a well thought out 27.5" like the Habit) with wider rims will always be more fun and faster too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So at 5'10" are most of you going for a large?

mtbr member
    5ft 11.5 on a large and yes that 0.5" makes a difference!

bike rider
    From my experience I'd say stick with wider rims and around 2.4" tyres on something without the "Plus" designation.

I have been experimenting this year, I have Ibis 741's on one bike, I have the Habit 1 and a Charger Cooker 0 SS plus bike. I also, up until recently owned a fatbike and a couple of 29ers and I'm looking for another of each but I wanted to experience all the wheels sizes and widths that I could.

The plus stuff is fun in the same way as a fat bike is fun but for me, for all round riding, a "normal" trail/XC bike (with either 29" or a well thought out 27.5" like the Habit) with wider rims will always be more fun and faster too.
    This. Fat bikes (+ bikes are fat bikes) are a fun novelty to add to your quiver but you always want a trail bike as the basis for your stable. 5" of travel and 2.3" tires are the fastest and most fun way to get around most trails.

mtbr member

Yes, that is what i have today on my Spec epic comp: Ryde Trace Enduro (30mm inner with) rims with X-king 2,4 and i realy like that, flows fine and take care of small bumps without beeing to heavy.

I realy dont want that heavy slow feeling when i bike, i even couldn´t stand a pair of Nobby Nic ;-) so maybe 27,5+ is not for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Yes, that is what i have today on my Spec epic comp: Ryde Trace Enduro (30mm inner with) rims with X-king 2,4 and i realy like that, flows fine and take care of small bumps without beeing to heavy.

I realy dont want that heavy slow feeling when i bike, i even couldn´t stand a pair of Nobby Nic ;-) so maybe 27,5+ is not for me.
    LOL If you feel that Nobby Nics are heavy and slow then a plus bike is definitely NOT for you!

mtbr member
    Haha, probebly not 😀

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Fat bikes (+ bikes are fat bikes) are a fun novelty to add to your quiver but you always want a trail bike as the basis for your stable. 5" of travel and 2.3" tires are the fastest and most fun way to get around most trails.
    I was thinking that the Bad Habit would be a good cross between a fat bike and a trail bike? Was thinking of ordering one.

Gears4Good.org
    My Habit 2 arrived on Thursday and I was able to get out on Saturday for a first ride. It rode great, but using the dropper post felt really strange, as it's the first one I've ever used. The only things I changed were the grips to ESI Fit XC and stem to a Thomson 75mm. I added a ti King cage, RaceFace crank boots (size large), CB Eggbeater pedals (will order Candy later), and a BarFly Garmin mount. I also set it up tubeless with Pacenti rim tape and Orange Seal goop. I have a few adjustments to make, but think we'll have a lot of fun together.

Cannondale Habit-habit_side2.jpg

bike rider
    Using the dropper post felt really strange, as it's the first one I've ever used.
    It sounds like you didn't used to lower your seat for downhills. You probably are used to gripping the seat with your thighs or otherwise using it as a third point of contact when descending. Time to stop. If you want to be stable and plush descending bow out your knees and elbows. A wide, low stance lets you absorb bumps and lean the bike side to side. The idea of a low seat is to have enough room to move and absorb bumps. The moment your butt of thighs contact the saddle it's like your whole upper body becomes unsprung weight.

Look at an old MTB photo and the rider has his knees together almost pinching the top tube and elbows down. Look at a photo of a modern world cup downhiller and their knees are bowlegged and elbows pointed out.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver View Post
    I was thinking that the Bad Habit would be a good cross between a fat bike and a trail bike? Was thinking of ordering one.
    It would be a good cross between a fat bike and a trail bike but I'm not sure that's a good thing. It won't be as good in snow or sand as a fat bike and it won't be as good on trails as a trail bike*.

*Okay, that one needs some explanation. The consensus is plus size tires improve comfort, control, and traction at low speeds. They are probably great for beginner or cautious intermediate riders. If you''re past that point and like to go fast and work on cornering they're not so good. They have drag when trying to go fast in a straight line and they have a vague feel when cornering hard.

Gears4Good.org
    I totally get the purpose of the dropper and know when I should use it. All I said is that it felt really strange since it was my first time using one. I've been riding for over 20 years and raced downhill (which was much different then) back in high school on the first Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    This. Fat bikes (+ bikes are fat bikes) are a fun novelty to add to your quiver but you always want a trail bike as the basis for your stable. 5" of travel and 2.3" tires are the fastest and most fun way to get around most trails.
    +bikes are not fat bikes. With all of these new tire sizes and designations, a lot of the true purpose has been lost while discussing the widening spectrum of bikes available.

(Although people have been using "mid fat" to describe + bikes now...)

Fat bikes are 26ers with 4+ inch tires originally purpose built for snow and/or sand. The traction is just plain awesome. You can certainly ride fatties on regular trails in any condition (I've raced mine in some XC events), it's not gonna be ideal because of the tire size. Maneuverability is much different and you have to learn how to handle these beasts differently.

Plus size bikes are 27.5/29ers With >2.5 to 3" wide tires. These are meant for normal mountain biking on normal trails. Although the 3" tires will be better than regular mtb tires in the snow/sand conditions, they are NOT meant for this purpose and will definitely not be ideal.

If you're trying to make the + vs fat decision:

If you plan on any significant snow riding, you should get a fat bike.

If you want a bike that handles like a mountain bike on trails, get a + bike.

If you're not sure, you could always get a fat bike and swap wheel sets, as most fatties will not have significant geometry changes with 27.5+ or 29+ wheels/tires. The only downfall with this plan is the wider Q factor of the fat bike is sometimes pretty noticeable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My Habit 2 arrived on Thursday and I was able to get out on Saturday for a first ride. It rode great, but using the dropper post felt really strange, as it's the first one I've ever used. The only things I changed were the grips to ESI Fit XC and stem to a Thomson 75mm. I added a ti King cage, RaceFace crank boots (size large), CB Eggbeater pedals (will order Candy later), and a BarFly Garmin mount. I also set it up tubeless with Pacenti rim tape and Orange Seal goop. I have a few adjustments to make, but think we'll have a lot of fun together.
    Nice looking bike. Doesn't look like winter where you're at...lucky you!
    You have a Thompson stem that fits the Lefty? Isn't the steerer on a Lefty slightly larger in dia, than a standard 1.5"? Does Thompson make them, I didn't see it on their website or elsewhere.

Gears4Good.org
    Nice looking bike. Doesn't look like winter where you're at...lucky you!
    You have a Thompson stem that fits the Lefty? Isn't the steerer on a Lefty slightly larger in dia, than a standard 1.5"? Does Thompson make them, I didn't see it on their website or elsewhere.
    Thanks! I live in Monterey County, CA, and mostly ride in Fort Ord and Toro Park. It's currently about 52 degrees. The steerer is 1.5 and the Thomson is a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks! I live in Monterey County, CA, and mostly ride in Fort Ord and Toro Park. It's currently about 52 degrees. The steerer is 1.5 and the Thomson is a perfect fit.
    Good riding there this time of year I'm sure. Frozen ground, and toes, here in Boise. Thanks for the steerer info. Lot's of stem choices then with a 1.5" size and I may opt with a longer one as well.

I'm with stupid
    This bike caught my eye, after looking at it seems to be the almost twin brother of a bike I once had and loved. The Carbon Rize 130mm front and rear with a lefty. Has anyone ridden one of these and a rize or RZ model before and can compare? My Rize was pretty much the swiss army knife of bikes, I would love to find something like it again and this seems to be the closest I have seen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    +bikes are not fat bikes. With all of these new tire sizes and designations, a lot of the true purpose has been lost while discussing the widening spectrum of bikes available.

(Although people have been using "mid fat" to describe + bikes now...)

Fat bikes are 26ers with 4+ inch tires originally purpose built for snow and/or sand. The traction is just plain awesome. You can certainly ride fatties on regular trails in any condition (I've raced mine in some XC events), it's not gonna be ideal because of the tire size. Maneuverability is much different and you have to learn how to handle these beasts differently.

Plus size bikes are 27.5/29ers With >2.5 to 3" wide tires. These are meant for normal mountain biking on normal trails. Although the 3" tires will be better than regular mtb tires in the snow/sand conditions, they are NOT meant for this purpose and will definitely not be ideal.

If you're trying to make the + vs fat decision:

If you plan on any significant snow riding, you should get a fat bike.

If you want a bike that handles like a mountain bike on trails, get a + bike.

If you're not sure, you could always get a fat bike and swap wheel sets, as most fatties will not have significant geometry changes with 27.5+ or 29+ wheels/tires. The only downfall with this plan is the wider Q factor of the fat bike is sometimes pretty noticeable.
    So, for trail riding - Habit or Bad Habit ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Here's mine, a habit 5! It's a sweet ride so now I whish the snow could just go away!

Cannondale Habit-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I took delivery of my medium sized Habit 1 yesterday. The shop swapped out a few components for me, so it took a few days. I had some Formula R-1's, I wanted to lose the dropper for now, and they converted it to tubeless. The final weight is 22.5 pounds sans pedals. I haven't ridden it yet, it is fat bike season here in Vermont, but am very much looking forward to it. The bike is set up as my XC race bike, replacing a Scalpel Black. I wanted a slacker, more enjoyable bike for racing and fast riding. I am hopeful the habit will fit the bill.

Wardo

I'm with stupid
    Nice! Any pictures? I can't wait to hear more ride reviews. Hopefully by people that had the rize or rz series bikes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Gears4Good.org

Decals removed

Last week I removed the decals from the rims, fork (strut?), and shock. The cyan colors didn't quite match, and I wanted it to be a touch less flashy. I dig it.

Cannondale Habit-habit_2016-01-10_sq.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I too just got my Habit 1 large on Tuesday. I had Gripshift XX1 installed, a Sram PCXX1 chain, tubeless conversion and a 70mm stem in lieu of the stock 60mm. I may try a longer one or a bar with less sweep to give me a bit more cockpit room. It came with a XG-1195 cassette and 160mm rear rotor (spec's. show XG-1180 & 180mm). I added Crankskins boots & tape, Surface Guard tape as needed and rubber mastic on the chain stay. It weighed 24.94# at the shop w/o pedals.
    I only had a pavement/gravel road ride as it's wet & muddy here but it rides well and the seat is quite comfortable.

mtbr member
    Just an update on mine...

I must admit that I've not used my Habit as much as I would have if I bought it in the beginning of the summer, the weather has been atrocious hear recently and I have felt more inclined to use my other bikes rather than sh*t up my shiny new 'Dale. BUT a couple of weekends ago I took the Habit out on an XC loops and ended up doing a bit of everything on it.

It really does handle everything really well, it's a much better XC machine than my Turner and likes to play more too, it goes down well also which is exactly what I want from my bike.

So I've decided to stop being precious and ride the heck out of this thing this year, what started out as my xc specific bike is now my go to trail bike too!

I've even ordered a Lefty hub to have my Ibis 741 wheels built to run on it, it should be fun with the wider rims and tyre combos this opens up to me, I'll report back soon...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Habit 1 remote lever for the fork/rear shock has stuck in the down position......some slight movement but will not release and lock-out. Thought it would have been an easy fix after bleeding it, but no luck! It's going back to the shop today........first mechanical!!!! Still loving it though 👍

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by klein-man View Post
    My Habit 1 remote lever for the fork/rear shock has stuck in the down position......some slight movement but will not release and lock-out. Thought it would have been an easy fix after bleeding it, but no luck! It's going back to the shop today........first mechanical!!!! Still loving it though 
    Same issue here. I disassembled everything and I found the problem. In my case (also found on a canyon lux that has the same rock shox xloc fullsprint command) depends on the cogwheel inside the command, it was all ruined, look at the attached picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Habit-2016_52.png  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by neo666 View Post
    Same issue here. I disassembled everything and I found the problem. In my case (also found on a canyon lux that has the same rock shox xloc fullsprint command) depends on the cogwheel inside the command, it was all ruined, look at the attached picture.
    Thanks guys for bring this to our attention. I've got no problem thus far but should I have so in the future, it's good to know where to look for the solution. Have you taken it back to the dealer to have the part replaced neo? I did a brief search for the service kit 11.4318.006.010 but couldn't find one available retail. I'd like to make sure this is whats needed in the event it goes bad. Keep us posted klein-man on whether or not this was your issue as well.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Tubeless setup

I've just come out of the lab having converted to tubeless and I'm happy to say the bikes sits at 25.3lbs with Fabric bottle bosses, ESI Grips, Garmin mount and pedals. That's officially the lightest bike (rigid singlespeeds not included) I've owned, ever!

By the way the rim tape and valves Cannondale supply aren't very good, the tape is thin and there is only enough supplied for one pass of each rims, also the valves don't seem to seat into the hole well. I've got a lot of sealant coming out of the spoke holes but miraculously the tyres seem to be holding air now. I'll be changing the valves and tape for Stans next week though.

I'm running about 30% sag both ends and have just set the rebound in the middle to see how it feels. My main bike has a Cane Creek Inline shock on it so this setup seems relatively simple and refreshing but that's fine, this bike is for going fast up and across stuff whilst still having fun!

I'll report back tomorrow after I get to grips with her.

Hi Just J,

As my Carbon 1 has been repeatedly delayed since I ordered in November (now Feb26th), I've been getting bits for it, tyres etc.

You said the tubeless kit Cannondale supply is rubbish. Can you confirm that the Stans valves were just the normal "No Tubes" valves (used to be called "Olympic"), and also did you use the 21mm or 25mm tape ? I have both, but am very short and need to order some more.

Many thanks in advance.

LJJ

mtbr member
    Hi Just J,

As my Carbon 1 has been repeatedly delayed since I ordered in November (now Feb26th), I've been getting bits for it, tyres etc.

You said the tubeless kit Cannondale supply is rubbish. Can you confirm that the Stans valves were just the normal "No Tubes" valves (used to be called "Olympic"), and also did you use the 21mm or 25mm tape ? I have both, but am very short and need to order some more.

Many thanks in advance.

LJJ
    I used the 35mm Stans Valves and the 21mm tape of memory serves me right. If you have some, take the time out and try a little inside the rim to double check.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks. Have checked rim dims and ordered.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Thanks. Have checked rim dims and ordered.

Cheers
    No problem. Did you order 21mm tape. I honestly can't remember if I used 21 or 25 now as I, like you, have both in my garage.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    21mm. Rims are 23mm.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was pretty sure it was 21 but couldn't quite be sure.

mtbr member

I LOVE ❤️ this bike!!

Quick night ride tonight with a couple of old school friends and I managed to put the Habit through a tougher test including lots of mud, harsher terrain and some drops. I am very impressed with the bike, it's so comfortable and feels like it has more than 120mm travel when the going gets tough and it pedals amazingly well too.

I managed to get within 7 seconds of my PR on the longest/steepest uphill in our woods and I'm not even in shape at the moment, that was enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I LOVE ❤️ this bike!!

Quick night ride tonight with a couple of old school friends and I managed to put the Habit through a tougher test including lots of mud, harsher terrain and some drops. I am very impressed with the bike, it's so comfortable and feels like it has more than 120mm travel when the going gets tough and it pedals amazingly well too.

I managed to get within 7 seconds of my PR on the longest/steepest uphill in our woods and I'm not even in shape at the moment, that was enough for me.
    Good for you on the hillclimb and I couldn't agree more about the bike!

I've been riding a lot this last week but only in the mornings while the ground is still frozen for 3-6 miles along creek-side singletrack and foothills. I am definitely faster on this bike - no doubt about it. The suspension action is fabulous along the creek trail and so too is the steering. Very confident feeling while turning at speed along the bumpy, twisty trail as it hooks up very well. Initially, I was a bit cramped until I opened up the cockpit by simply rotating the bars forward...perfect! Climbing is excellent too. On the flowing foothills singletrack, I find it unnecessary to lock out the suspension since the trails have not been too steep and sustained yet.

mtbr member
    Good for you on the hillclimb and I couldn't agree more about the bike!

I've been riding a lot this last week but only in the mornings while the ground is still frozen for 3-6 miles along creek-side singletrack and foothills. I am definitely faster on this bike - no doubt about it. The suspension action is fabulous along the creek trail and so too is the steering. Very confident feeling while turning at speed along the bumpy, twisty trail as it hooks up very well. Initially, I was a bit cramped until I opened up the cockpit by simply rotating the bars forward...perfect! Climbing is excellent too. On the flowing foothills singletrack, I find it unnecessary to lock out the suspension since the trails have not been too steep and sustained yet.
    I am really looking forward to getting the bike on harder ground and really riding this thing! It's definitely the kind of bike that I wouldn't mind riding on the road either, it has a turn of speed that rivals my CX bike!

mtbr member
    I got what I wished for this morning, firmer trails! We had a heavy frost last night so there was lots of grip available (as long as I avoided the ice!) and the Habit showed me some new tricks!

This bike is definitely a case of less is more, it does a lot with its' 120mm and unused all of it this morning.

The bike in Large is a perfect fit for me at 5'11.5", I can really move around the bike and get it to hit turns really quickly. This is the first 27.5 bike I've ridden that brings all the positives of a bigger wheel whilst having the benefits of the medium sized wheels if that makes sense?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice looking countryside you're riding in. The bike certainly does rides really well on hard frozen terrain. I haven't been on rocks yet but I suspect it will hook-up very well.

mtbr member
    Nice looking countryside you're riding in. The bike certainly does rides really well on hard frozen terrain. I haven't been on rocks yet but I suspect it will hook-up very well.
    Thanks, yes, they are the North York Moors, not a bad place to live sometimes

I've ridden it on rocks and it seems to handle them well, the tyres are very good. The bike also handles rock gardens well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks, yes, they are the North York Moors, not a bad place to live sometimes

I've ridden it on rocks and it seems to handle them well, the tyres are very good. The bike also handles rock gardens well.
    Nice and green this time of year there...my favorite color! The foothills grass only turns green mid-March here. Plenty of rocky areas here but I haven't venture out to those areas yet but good to know the tires will hold up as I did worry a bit about their durability. I certainly am liking them thus far.

mtbr member
    Speaking of tyres and rocks, all of our rocks are under water and mud at the moment so after yesterday's mudfest I was forced to succumb and fit my winter tyres in time for my next ride!

Looking forward to trying the Habit out with some beefier tyres but not as much as I'm looking forward to trying the standard Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic combo once the weather gets dry again!

Oh and I'm going to try this out soon...

I'm with stupid
    Good looking bike there. Got to love the shorty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Good looking bike there. Got to love the shorty.

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Yeah the Shorties are excellent winter tyres, real all rounders for a mud tyre.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Just J,

My Carbon 1 in Med finally should have arrived at my dealer today. Unfortunately (well sort of) I'm enjoying myself walking up in the Lake District this week, so can't collect until next Monday.

I'll be interested to find out how you get on with the Oval chainring. Looks very interesting.

LJJ

mtbr member
    Hi LJJ

It'll be worth the wait, I promise, such a good time of year to get a new bike too!

Have fun in the Lakes and I look forward to seeing some pics when you collect your Habit.

J

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Remote Lever/sprint mode problems on
    Habit 1; Anyone else experiencing the lockout not releasing upwards? I had my first one replaced after a couple of months, and after a couple of rides over this w/e can see it is going the same way as the first one again as occasionally it's not releasing. When more pressure/play is applied it comes up.
    I'm super conscious not exert/press incorrectly downwards when using but sence it will stick down again shortly, as it did not operate like this either from new or when the new one was fitted last month. The bike shop has said nothing else has been reported from other owners but conscious few are out there currently. On replacing the first one Rockshox found a fault with the lever control mechanism, and nothing to do with the hydrolic and I was hoping for it to be a one off! Anyone out there with similar issues????

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by klein-man View Post
    Remote Lever/sprint mode problems on
    Habit 1; Anyone else experiencing the lockout not releasing upwards? I had my first one replaced after a couple of months, and after a couple of rides over this w/e can see it is going the same way as the first one again as occasionally it's not releasing. When more pressure/play is applied it comes up.
    I'm super conscious not exert/press incorrectly downwards when using but sence it will stick down again shortly, as it did not operate like this either from new or when the new one was fitted last month. The bike shop has said nothing else has been reported from other owners but conscious few are out there currently. On replacing the first one Rockshox found a fault with the lever control mechanism, and nothing to do with the hydrolic and I was hoping for it to be a one off! Anyone out there with similar issues????
    Read my post #170

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That Maxxis rubber looks like it'll plow through mud quite well. I'm real happy with the stock rubber and they do indeed work well in the rocks. The suspension is awesome as well and all that I need. Very plush in the rocks.

No problems yet with the lockout but I've taken to just leaving it active unless I'm on pavement for an extended time. Perhaps the same problem neo had. Keep us posted.

I've never tried oval rings but do remember the mid-nineties? when it was all the rage. I've read some reviews recently and have been inspired to want to try one. Look forward to your thoughts on it. I came across a DIY chainring removal tool in a video on youtube if anyone is interested. Search for: DIY Cannondale SISL Crank Arm Removal

mtbr member
    Aah thanks I'll check that out on YouTube! I've been running an oval ring on my other bike for a few months and there are some benefits in peddling smoothness.

I tend to keep my suspension active for all but the smoothest of climbs.

The mud here in the UK is horrific at the moment so I held out taking the Schwalbes off as long as I could but since doing so the weather has predictably got drier!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I meant crank arm removal tool. Another tool is required to remove the chainrings and I haven't yet searched for a DIY or less expensive option to the Cannondale Hollowgram Spider Lockring Removal Tool - KT012.

The mud here is drying up too as the ground thaws out. Now if the spring rains will just hold back for awhile.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I found the enduro cdale spider tool for myself for $45.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Stupid question time. What does one use to mount a computer sensor on the new Lefties ? The old Cannondale "Lefty computer mount" is for pre-2013 only apparently ......😔

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Stupid question time. What does one use to mount a computer sensor on the new Lefties ? The old Cannondale "Lefty computer mount" is for pre-2013 only apparently ......😔
    I was able to zip-tie my sensor unit to the fork leg and then attach the small magnetic sensor directly onto the disc - it was designed to fit onto a spoke but it screwed onto the disc nicely. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My Habit, riding partner and petroglyphs along the Snake River.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Habit-p2250012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cool pic and dog!

Has anyone else noticed the price increase on the Habit? I've just checked the Cannondale website as I was looking for the spec of the front mech when I saw that the Habit 1 has risen from £4999 to £7460 here in the UK!

I've never had a bike appreciate in value that quickly!

Anyway I went out for a good ride this morning, my Shorties were definitely the right choice even though things are starting to dry out a little. I was really able to take advantage of the Habit's technical climbing prowess that I haven't previously been able to with the standard tyres and the weather we've had since buying my bike.

I have noticed a creaking coming from the BB area a couple of times during the past couple of rides, might have a go at getting that crank off and lubing it up.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm shocked. Even the Habit Black doesn't come with a Ceramic BB. You can buy one of course....!

pick up mine Monday !!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast