mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cannondale Gemini Pros/Cons .... & v.s other bikes

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into a Cannondale Gemini DH and was hoping some of you could share some of your info on the bike.

I'm looking for a bike that I can use on some hard rocky/rooted trails along with road use to get to point a to point b. I may also start ridding at Mountain Creek NJ since I live 5 mins away.

Overall I'm looking for some info that will let me know what this bike is, and what it is not. How much are these going for new and used? Is this bike out dated vs other bikes?

Thanks,
    Dan J. Kraus :-)

This is the bike at question:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Overkill.

From what you have stated the DH Gemini is overkill for your intended usage. It is a freeride/DH oriented bike. The 04 Gemini 2000 is more of trail bike and is cheaper but you could still get away with a bike with less travel if you are just riding rocky rooty trails. The Gemini will serve you well for this type of riding though. I would just get a toned down 2000 or 900 Gemini. The Gemini is not a light weight bike and if you are going to be doing more climbing and A to B light riding I would recommend getting something else. The Gemini is a longer travel bike designed for aggressive trail riding and freeride.

The Gemini is a single pivot that pedals great with the swinger shock. I dont want to get into a debate over sp vs linkage bikes. Yes some of the four bar bikes will pedal better and will have active suspension while braking. The bottom line is that the Gemini is a good bike that works great as an aggressive trail bike. It is also very light and responsive for a 7" bike. Comparatively the Gemini matches up well against other 7" bikes in price and performance. The Gemini is probably more popular than it has ever been. Check out the reviews on this site.

You were pretty vague in describing the riding you are doing but some lighter use trail bikes like a SC heckler, Intense 5.5, Specialized Enduro, Trek Liquids, Kona Dawg & Coiler etc could work for you. If you want to freeride on the side then the Gemini, Yeti ASX, Ellsworth Joker, work well for longer travel bikes on the trails. There are many others but these are my favorites for all around bikes.
    Last edited by ronny; 08-25-2004 at 07:20 PM.