Kildare. Ireland

Cannondale fork conversion

Right. I have riding trails for a year now.

Decided to upgrade my Old Giant Terrago sold it on. added a 100 quid and got this.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/77/59426277.html

got it for 300.

the spec on the bike is quite high for the price. . Everything has been upgraded to XT parts.

I though I got a good deal.

But I cant get the Fatty fork working. I have opened it up and found it to be pretty messed up. Im guessing the previous owners where a little ham fisted with tools.

Rather that fixing the Fatty ultra , I was looking at second hand lefty forks on ebay.

I think fixing the old shock would cost the same as a second hand lefty.

My question is.

If I go ahead with the conversion. Is it a straight forward swap.? Will the lefty just slip into the place that the fatty ultra once was. ??

Is it going to be a pain in the ass to do? I dont really want to spend more than 150 euro on this. So having to pay cannondale a fortune for adapters would be disappointing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Lefty will drop right in.

Kildare. Ireland
    nice. the bottom bearing on the fatty it still on the steer tube. will I need to get a new one for the lefty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's been quite a while since I swapped back and forth but I think the bottom bearing was stuck on mine also. I also had another one stuck on the Lefty fork so I never tried to get it out.
    Is there one on the Lefty fork?

You'll probably get more replies in the Cannondale forum.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    you'll need a new front wheel/hub.

lone rider
    http://www.mendoncyclesmith.com/

He should be able to get your Headshok in working order again (though based in the US). Likely a much cheaper option than a lefty & a new front wheel. However, the Lefty is a great choice if you have the $$.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

Kildare. Ireland
    thanks. But im baced in Ireland. We dont even have a cannondale service center here..

I was told to wrap the old one up and post it to the UK for service. But I think I might repair it myself in time. Mean time a second hand lefty and wheel is on the works.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I second the Mendoncyclesmith, Craig will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Based in Ireland myself, I have a Super Fatty DLR on an '08 Bad Boy Ultra.

No problems with the Headshok yet thank god but when the time comes i am going to send it across to Mendon or these guys in the UK http://www.tftunedshox.com/

Seriously looked into getting a Lefty - would love one - but just couldn't justify the price....

Kildare. Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by czechs
    Based in Ireland myself, I have a Super Fatty DLR on an '08 Bad Boy Ultra.

No problems with the Headshok yet thank god but when the time comes i am going to send it across to Mendon or these guys in the UK http://www.tftunedshox.com/

Seriously looked into getting a Lefty - would love one - but just couldn't justify the price....
    yeah. They are pricey .
    but credit cards are wonderful things!! hehehe.

I got the bike for a good price and can spent another bit on it to make it right. So feck it . I gave up motor cycle enduro racing because of the cost, A set of tires was 250 for each race. And that was before you destroyed the KTM.
    A few hundred here and there on a cheaper hobbies has been given the all clear by the wife.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1
    thanks. But im baced in Ireland. We dont even have a cannondale service center here..

I was told to wrap the old one up and post it to the UK for service. But I think I might repair it myself in time. Mean time a second hand lefty and wheel is on the works.
    Well lets hope the second hand Lefty and wheel you buy is in good condition too.

Kildare. Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    Well lets hope the second hand Lefty and wheel you buy is in good condition too.
    im not sure it is. It looks old. I have a budget set in my head.

But I think set of seals and fresh oil sorts most problems out on them.

Kildare. Ireland
    got a lefty. 140max fluid flow. a wheel and all the bits I need to slip it right in and go. . cost 160 plus p&p. now I have to wait. dam
    Last edited by gsxr1; 08-31-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Kildare. Ireland
    finished(nearly)

she has had new wheel bearings, brake pads, brake fluid this week.

Got the second hand lefty last night. The damping on it does not work very well, I does work though.
    I think it may need new seals. Its not a massive job. But i do require a special tools to do it.

I also need new jockey wheels.

If your not slidin, yur not ridin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No special tools needed to change oil and seals.
    That brake line should be routed on the outside of the fork, not the inside!

Kildare. Ireland
    Cheer Throttle Jockey. will change it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looking at the hose it doesn't look long enough.

Kildare. Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttlejockey
    Looking at the hose it doesn't look long enough.

yeah. its not. I just tried to swap it around and it tightened on full lock. .

was just out for a 5 mile road ride. the damping is gone.

I need to source the correct grade of oil and seals. There is no cannondale dealers in Ireland. go figure.

The US stuff is not available here unless I pay big bucks and wait

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can use regular 5-7wt motorcycle fork oil. Chances are it's only the upper quad seal that is blown. You could also just have air in the system and you only needs to get the air out of the system.

There is also a possibility the rubber/neoprene piece that wraps around the lower damper rod is soaked solid with oil. I had that happen before.

Do a search on oil change and you should find quite a bit of info. You could start by just changing the oil and trying to get all the air out.

mtbr member
    gsxr1, have you tried TFT Tuned? They are now an official Cannondale Fork service centre.

Bike looks good by the way. When that Lefty is working properly it will be awesome.

Kildare. Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_
    gsxr1, have you tried TFT Tuned? They are now an official Cannondale Fork service centre.

Bike looks good by the way. When that Lefty is working properly it will be awesome.
    Thanks. will ask them for parts in the morn. seal kit

there is a lad on flee bay selling the quad seal for 1 pound plus 7.50 P&P lol. God loves a chancer.

I am not going near the needle bearings as is seems to be in good order. But the damper will need looked at. After having a look inside it seems to have had a good life so far. No chewed up bolts is a good sign.