mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1 Reviews/Advice?

I'm thinking about changing my trusty old Scalpel 3000 for a Flash Carbon 29er 1 but Iím struggling to find any good/useful reviews on this bike. Also none of my local bike shops carry this in stock (special order only apparently) or seem to know much about it! Anyone out there riding one and can recommend or advise?

Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Cannondale Flash 29er

Thanks HAL

So have you riden it much yet and if so what do you think?

mtbr member
    it's my first 29" bike and i've been hearing from the 29er kool-aid drinkers how they were the answer to everything so I broke down and ordered one back in September last year it's not what i expected but i'm not dissatisfied either bottom line is it's a carbon fiber hardtail with big wheels the fun factor goes up exponentially the faster you pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've got both an older Scalpel as well as a couple of newer carbon Scalpels. I just got the Flash 1 29er and have about 300 miles on it so far.

First off, last week I cut the front Racing Ralph and folded the front rim. A dislocated shoulder and a couple of cracked ribs later I would say to remove both the tires first thing if you ride anywhere rocky, the Snakeskin version may be better, but the casing is REALLY thin on the EVO's. I should have known better......

The bike rides really nice. It is as fast up and down as my new Scaplel, just not as comfortable. It is a large improvement over the first gen Scalpel, I still like that bike, but it sees less and less use. The wheelbase is shorter than the Scalpel, I have not found it to be sluggish handling wise and the shorter chainstays mean killer seated traction. It is definitely a different beast at slower speeds. Get it moving and it's great, it does change as the speeds get slower though, likely the rear tire hanging up an stuff, 29er or not, it's still a hardtail. Mine currently sits at 20 pounds even, it was 21 out of the box. Most people could put their seat of choice on it and ride it as is.

I bought mine for the Colorado Trail Race. If the shoulder heals up I'll be doing a 24 solo on it the first of May as planned. I think price wise it's a pretty good deal, especially if you can get one at a discount. Not too many comparable bikes in that weight to price range.

banned
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for your review.

Does the bike hande differently or worse than other 29er hardtails at low speeds? Does it handle worse than 26 hardtails?

Does anyone know how it handles compared to a GF superfly?

According to the cannondale website the scalpel wheelbase is not longer than that of the flash 29er...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't know what the website says, but the tape says a full 18mm shorter for the 29er, which is a lot given the bigger wheel. The chainstays are on the shortish side for a 29er, but are 20 mm longer than the Scalpel, which means they lost 38mm somewhere on the 29er in the top tube and head angle.

It is way better than my caad 5 hardtail, slow or fast.

No experience with the Superfly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the advice and review.

Sounds like I need to try and get hold of one and test ride it to really make my mind up. I was also considering the Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT 29er but cant imagine riding without the Lefty. The comfort thing also worries me a bit on the longer rides and races although I'm sure you get used to after a while. Is there much flex in the rear or is it pretty hard?

Anyway hope the shoulder heals in time for the 24hr and i'll be interested to hear how you feel after riding it for that long?

Cheers

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have a F29er alu and a Flash 29er carbon.

a Flash Team 26 and a Scalpel Carbon too.

4 bikes very light , similar in built ...so differents in frames and behaviours.

F29er and Flash 29er :

carbon frame is very stiff when up on pedals , and soft , absorbing hills and holes

alu frame is always stiff ... long ride = back more suffering

all the bikes are Lefty carbon and ZTR equipped , Formula brakes and carbon saddles too.

so in fact , very similar and all the differences arriving from frame

SAVE seatpost , so helpful but heavy in the 26" Flash , is not required on the 29er : more steps on land of the tyres 29" transfrom SAVE seatpost in only a heavy seatpost .

be sure of right gears !!!!!!!!

i use 37.21 and 11.34 on F29

37.25 and 11.36 10 speeds on Flash 29er

never use a 44-32-22 crankset : good on 26" in you want tu run a triple , but the +10% ratio on the wheel of a 29er bike transforms that combination in a hard hard gear to push

ah........ 17-18th April i do a 24H solo race with my Flash 29er, if i survive can write my reports

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    .ah........ 17-18th April i do a 24H solo race with my Flash 29er, if i survive can write my reports
    If you don't survive can I be the first in line to have your bike, just the Flash 29er carbon will do .................................................. .............just kidding best of luck
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon