mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Cannondale F900 Project

Hi! So I'm working on a Cannondale f900 project and I've been trying to swap out the ridiculously long stem on the bike. I purchased a Gravity Light 1.5" stem that was off of another Cannondale (forgot exactly what model). Unfortunately the steerer tube is about a millimeter too wide in diameter to fit the new stem. As weird as this is, my plan was to mill out the diameter of the new stem to fit the steerer tube. Another issue I'm having with the bike is I believe the headshok needs a rebuild as it is stuck in the locked mode with no bounce/give.

So, does anyone have any tips/advice for the headshok issue or any objections to the milling of the stem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You need a 1.56 stem.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Well that would explain that. As there isn't the widest variety of short 1.56 stems out there I think I will proceed will milling the stem unless there are any ostentatious objections in regards to safety. But then again, safety always takes the backseat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mustwarnorcas View Post
    Well that would explain that. As there isn't the widest variety of short 1.56 stems out there I think I will proceed will milling the stem unless there are any ostentatious objections in regards to safety. But then again, safety always takes the backseat.
    Personally, I wouldn't thin out the stem.

Lot's of 1.56" options on fleabay for example....
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    I have a short stem for the Headshok fork. It's a 90mm long and is 1.56" to fit the fatty. If interested you are welcome to make an offer.

In regards to fixing your fatty forks. You could checkout MendonCycleSmith, they are real helpful and highly skilled/qualified to repair/rebuild Headshok forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't thin out the stem.

Lot's of 1.56" options on fleabay for example....
    Checked through ebay and didn't find too many that matched my length and price range. I would prefer to avoid having to buy another stem to maintain a little frugality with this build.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumphryes View Post
    I have a short stem for the Headshok fork. It's a 90mm long and is 1.56" to fit the fatty. If interested you are welcome to make an offer.

In regards to fixing your fatty forks. You could checkout MendonCycleSmith, they are real helpful and highly skilled/qualified to repair/rebuild Headshok forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the offer! If i determine that I need another stem, I'll contact you. Also, thanks for the MendonCycleSmith tip! I'll check them out.

mtbr member

F900 Rebuild Project

How is the F900 project coming along?
    You have an photos to share?

Here is mine after I completed my rebuild 3years back
    Cannondale F900 Project-img_4655.jpg

Managed to replace all Coda parts with XT/XTR components. Switching to the Shimano rapid-fire so much better than the low end twist shifters.
    Rebuilt the wheels with new bearings, replaced BB too.
    Carbon low riser forks with RaceFace grips feel much better.
    Replaced all cables with superior Shimano cables, made a huge difference.
    Later a dispensed of the outer chain ring and replaced with a cool red bash-gaurd.

The only work I outsourced was the Headshok rebuild, to MendonCycleSmith. The forks felt OK but on inspection the elastomer had completely disintegrated. I managed to find a replacement spring kit on eBay. I still have some spare spring kits after going on a spree so let me know if you need one.

I managed to shed pounds of weigh off the bike, feels so much lighter and nicer to ride and when new. Weighs in at 26lb, which may sound like a lot but I am happy.
    In contrast my SVRaven3000 weighs 27lb and my SV1000FR weighs 32lb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumphryes View Post
    How is the F900 project coming along?
    You have an photos to share?

Here is mine after I completed my rebuild 3years back
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	1175443

Managed to replace all Coda parts with XT/XTR components. Switching to the Shimano rapid-fire so much better than the low end twist shifters.
    Rebuilt the wheels with new bearings, replaced BB too.
    Carbon low riser forks with RaceFace grips feel much better.
    Replaced all cables with superior Shimano cables, made a huge difference.
    Later a dispensed of the outer chain ring and replaced with a cool red bash-gaurd.

The only work I outsourced was the Headshok rebuild, to MendonCycleSmith. The forks felt OK but on inspection the elastomer had completely disintegrated. I managed to find a replacement spring kit on eBay. I still have some spare spring kits after going on a spree so let me know if you need one.

I managed to shed pounds of weigh off the bike, feels so much lighter and nicer to ride and when new. Weighs in at 26lb, which may sound like a lot but I am happy.
    In contrast my SVRaven3000 weighs 27lb and my SV1000FR weighs 32lb.
    Wow that's looking good! Currently my bike is up in San Luis Obispo while I'm home from school over break but while I've been home I've been amassing some parts to upgrade the bike. Yeah I'm replacing all that weird CODA stuff with Sram X0. I'll get some pics of the bike with all the new parts up in about a week once I get back to it. Happy New Year!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Another strongly worded vote against machining the stem down.

Replacing teeth will cost a lot more than even the most expensive stem on eBay.

It'll hurt more, getting there too.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com