mtbr member
    Jan 2008

cannondale F7, F6

recently i have decided to start mountain bikeing one for fun and two i could use the exercise. I have done a little research and want a good starter bike that i won't get bored with. so far i like the cannondale F6 and F7 (2008 model) anyone know much about these.
    Does anyone have sugestions on any other models or brands in a $400 to $600 range

mad aussie
    The F6/7 is a good entry level bike, certainly its been our biggest seller at the shop I work at. Cannondale just upped the price by $50, but you should be able to find some around at the previous price.
    I would suggest the F6 if you are going to ride on any significant trails as the Rock Shox fork is a step above the undamped elastomer one found on the F7. Dont worry about disc brakes, at that price point they dont work any better than the V-brakes, in fact I feel the V's actually work better.
    At this price point all major manufacturers bikes are going to be fairly similar. Marin also has some good models in your price range.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hey thanks for the info helps a lot suprised to hear about the brakes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    someone asked me earlier about my weight i'm at 200lbs right now should be back to 170 to 180 in a few months is 200 too much for that bike?

mtbr member

The F7 is a fantastic bike

I have a Prophet but wanted a commuter, Me and my girl friend picked up F7's (different colors, no we are not matching )

So far my disk brakes are great her v's needed tweaking a few times and rub a little, the F7 disks are mechanical and super easy to adjust should they need it.

I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 220# so far the fork has not hit bottom even when I get the bike a foot or 2 off the ground, the forks do "thud" as the bike comes free off the ground, with no rebound the Gila's come back out fast

Maybe If I had it to do over again I'd go for the f5, lighter and the Dart 3 is a much better fork than the Gila (The Dart even has lockout) if I did not have the Prophet and the hard tail would be serving more dirt and street I would have gone F5 no doubt although I would miss the titanium color of the F7

regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncaudill22
    recently i have decided to start mountain bikeing one for fun and two i could use the exercise. I have done a little research and want a good starter bike that i won't get bored with. so far i like the cannondale F6 and F7 (2008 model) anyone know much about these.
    Does anyone have sugestions on any other models or brands in a $400 to $600 range