Thread: Cannondale F7

mtbr member

Cannondale F7

anybody out there riding this bike and have you had any problems?? I cant tell if I made the wrong beginner bike choice or the maintenance guys at my local shop suck.

mad aussie
    We have sold a bunch of F7's from the shop I work at without any problems that I am aware of. If you could give some details of what problems you are having that would be helpfull.

Kevin

mtbr member

problems are:

well after riding the second day i got it i accidentally locked up my rear discs and fishtailed, i didnt hit anything but it caused the rear quick release to come loose so i had to dismount to correct the problem. i also started to notice in 4th gear a lot of noise. after reading some f7 reviews online i heard that this bike tends to be noisy until the 30 day tune up. then after reading my cdale owners manual it said the bike shouldnt make any noise, if so take it to the shop so i did. at this point it also started to make some noise from the front hub. i took it in and was told that my derailleur was bent causing the gear 4 noise and my front pads needed to be adjusted to correct the front hub noise. upon riding home i dumped the chain everytime i shifted into the large cog on my chainring though the 4th gear noise was gone. just today (the last time i rode it since the shop) i was inspecting the front hub while reading through my new bike maintenance manual and noticed a different nut on my qr skewer that was jammed into yet another nut (not o.e. hardware) and that one of the springs on the skewer was missing and that the remaining one was facing the wrong direction. also the front hub was way too tight (wouldnt spin freely, clicked through turns by hand). so those are some of the reasons im questioning the guys turning the wrench where i bought it. i also went their to buy a lock and one mechanic couldnt even attach the mounting bracket on my bike, it took him like a half hour and when i left it was still loose. i had to fix it when i got home. im in a bad situation because i dont know whether its the bike or the guys at the shop and they offer a year of free maintenance but im almost ready to just pay to have it fixed somewhere else. any thoughts??

mtbr member
    "i accidentally locked up my rear discs and fishtailed"

~Was this you grabbing the back brake really hard? Or was it a mechanical issue?

"one of the springs on the skewer was missing and that the remaining one was facing the wrong direction"

~This is right, the 08 F7's come with the Clix front skewer, if it is set up properly, you should be able to open the quick release and not have the wheel fall out...saftey feature. As for the spring in the wron way, its the mechanic's problem. The biggest side of the spring should be touching the bolt, not the hub.

"i took it in and was told that my derailleur was bent causing the gear 4 noise"

~This may be a result of the rear quick release opening when your brake locked up.

The guys at this shop dont sound like they know what they are doing. It sounds as if they just gave you the bike, didnt set it up (final prep).

mtbr member
    thats how i feel too, these guys dont really know what theyre doing. but what should i do? i have a year free maintenance through the shop but do i really wanna go back? i called and complained and the manager said when i come in i need to request certain mechanics, that they dont have much faith in some of the guys in the shop. right so, why are they working their??? he said he wants to make it up to me but how can he? i dont want to bring my bike back. i know its not the most expensive bike they sell but that really shouldnt matter. if you were in my shoes what would you do?

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    It's the shop, not the bike. It's normal to have tweeky things happen (adjust this, tighten that, etc) especially in the first 100miles or so, and yes, the incident really could have bent your derailleur and caused the 4th gear problem (though the shop didn't correctly fix it if you were slipping gears afterwards...) or it could have just been the cables wearing in and needing adjustment.

IF you know one of the good mechanics at the shop continue to take it to them for the year of free maintenance and request that guy. In the meantime read up on bike maintenance, maybe take a class (some places even offer these free), and start building a basic toolbox. Then switch over to maintaining your own bike.

I had a similar problem with the shop that sold me my first bike (not a C'dale, but that doesn't matter). They put my front wheel (disk hub) on backwards, completely botched a brake installation causing a pretty scary ordeal (on rim brakes...not rocket science), etc etc (I could go on for HOURS). And to top it off they were EXTREMELY rude to me. I vowed never to go in the shop again (ditching a LIFETIME free service agreement in the process....).

At least your shop seems to be making an effort (the manager) at this point. He wants to make it up to you and keep your business? Make him tell you the "good" mechanics names, and maybe try to weasel your way into a deal on some accessory or upgrade you want. Then go figure out how to do the basic wrenching yourself. Keep the "good" mechanics' names in case something goes wrong you can't fix, but never trust them (always check the work).