Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nor­wegr

Cannondale F6 Disc 09, questions from a semi-noob.

Hi!

First timer on these boards, haven't really strayed outside my paintballforum alot the past few years so I'm hoping I won't get flamed to bits

Long story short I've allways enjoyed mountain biking and some light downhill, I got a GT Avalanche when I was 15 and was hooked for a few years till the interest dwindled off when I was in the army.

The other day I walked past a mtb store so I dropped in and curiousity got the better of me.
    I asked to testride a few of the bikes and I basicly fell in love with a blue F6 that they had recently put on sale.

Ten minutes after getting off the bike I handed over my visa, that 20% discount was too good to pass up.

I know it isn't the best bike on the planet, I'm not the best rider either so it equals out, but if it was your bike; what would you look into upgrading straight away or down the line?

I was never into the technical side of things so please bare with me if I ask some dumb questions later on

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    on my F5 my upgrades went like this:

fork
    pedals & shoes
    seat
    tires (actually previous owner upgraded them, but I'm putting tire upgrade in this order)
    brakes
    grips

mtbr member
    I would upgrade that Dart fork with a used HeadShok from ebay or craigs list.

That bike has the larger head tube to accommodate a Headshok or Lefty- might as well use it for it's intended purpose!

Edit - I'm a little confused by "F6 Disc 09" though - The F6 was only made in the 2008 model year, and did not have disc breaks.
    What's up with that - is it really an F6?
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Nor­wegr

Here's a link to it on cannondales site.

I'm going to look into a new fork, hopefully my paypal isn't too drained..
    Been up all night doing the graveyard shift in the ER so I've been shopping a wee bit too much.

mtbr member
    Oh - it's the European model - that explains the differences!
    I guess the F6 lives on over there!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Nor­wegr
    Yup, I'm Norwegian so that'd explain the euro model

Bought a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost for it, hopefully it'll help make it less topheavy, going forkhunting tonight!
    Can anyone recommend a decent fork in the $350-600 range or would spending that small of an amount be a waste?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    $350-600 gives you some options. I put a tora race air 100mm on my F5 and have been extremely satisfied.... that's on the lower end of your budget

Nor­wegr
    What should I look for when buying a lefty used?
    I've seen some around $600 and that isn't too bad.. Might be able to stretch my budget to $800.

The way I figure it right now I might aswell buy a good fork straight away as it can be used on "better" frames further down the road.

Thanks for helping gfourth, I'll look into the tora race at my local store if I can't find a decent lefty.

Nor­wegr
    Quick and probably dumb question, would a lefty with a 1.5 inch headset fit the f6 frame?
    It's a 2004 mod so I've only been able to find reviews from that period, but they were all good it seemed..

Still considered a good fork for $400?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    For a lefty or a headshok you'd need a cannondale headset. The steerer on cannondale forks isn't 1.5 inch, it's slightly bigger - about 1-9/16". Also, have you considered the Headshok? Can often be found used for pretty cheap, lighter than everything except for the SL lefties (which are bound to be expensive), same basic system as the lefties, and you don't need a new wheel. Less travel (80 mm vs 110) but not that much less and matches up well with a hardtail. If you stick with a conventional fork, I'd say something like a sid, f100, manitou r7 would be in or around the price range you're looking at.
    Last edited by bigred; 07-18-2009 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard
    Can anyone recommend a decent fork in the $350-600 range or would spending that small of an amount be a waste?
    I would grab up some of the closeout deals on Fox Racing Shox (08/09) F-100 / F-120 RLC (about $600.00++ but shop around). EXAMPLE...... http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Fork+09.aspx

Arguably, you wont find a better fork, and it would look great on you frame too I like them allot.......... http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...ftSideFlat.jpg
    PrOxY

Nor­wegr
    Thank you for your input bigred, I jumped the gun on the below fork when I found out it would work. (DLR Lockout 100mm)

Will I need anything other than a new headset to make it work?
    I've been looking at some truing tools on ebay, but I'm not sure which to pick or if they both do the same thing.

PS- I like to tinker so I don't really mind if this bike will give me hell when I try to install some of these parts, I like learning the hard way

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Looks like a nice fork, everything seems to be in good condition. Just check that the boot (rubber accordion at the bottom) is in good condition, and that everything works smooth. Looks like it has the headset bearings in the picture, so you'll just need the cups for the frame and also possibly the top seal ring (can't tell if it's there in that picture). Plus a stem, of course. If you're planning on building your own wheel, the top tool looks like it's designed to hold a lefty hub in normal truing stand, and I would guess the bottom is for the same purpose, but can't really tell.

Nor­wegr
    Here's all the pics of the fork:

To recap I will need the following, correct?

Hub (or wheel with hub)
    Stem
    160mm front brake adapter
    And maybies on cups for the frame and top seal ring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ok from that picture it looks like the top seal ring is present, so you'll need the parts you said:
    Hub (or wheel with hub)
    Stem
    160mm front brake adapter
    headset cups for frame (pretty sure you need these)

Nor­wegr
    Bought a tubeless wheelset off ebay with the correct hub, but I'm wondering if I'll need a new front skewer aswell or could I use the one currently on my bike? Also got a hope stem in the correct size.

I came in contact with a cdale connoisseur who said I didn't need the disc adapter.
    So the current partslist looks like this:

Hub (or wheel with hub)
    Stem
    headset bearings\cups
    headset
    Last edited by Vegard; 07-21-2009 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, if the brakes have an international standard adapter (or are IS) then you don't need an adapter. But I'm guessing the bike came with a postmount fork (the RS dart) so they didn't give you one, which you'll need to attach the brake to the lefty (which is IS). Since you have bearings for the headset, you should just need the cups (should be cheaper) and for the skewer, the wheel is attached to the lefty by a bolt and an endcap, rather than a conventional quick release skewer.

Nor­wegr
    Oh well, allready thrown more money at this than I paid for the bike, but it's all a learning experience so it's worth it

"Avid Post Mount to IS Front Disc Brake Adapter 6"/160mm"

Would that be the adapter I need?
    Last edited by Vegard; 07-22-2009 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    that should be the one

Nor­wegr
    Super, just need a headset and the cups and I'll be done.. My postman is going to kill me, got a ton of packages on the way

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    by the way, you should just need the cups for the headset, not the whole thing (the headset is the 2 cups, 2 bearings, and the top ring). Since it looks like you already have the bearings and the ring, you really just need the cups - could be a bit cheaper than buying the whole kit.
    Edit:
    looking at a cane creek double XC I have here (probably pretty similar to the headset on your bike), I noticed that the cups are pretty similar to the cannondale ones, but a little (2-3 mm) taller, and wider, but the bearings look identical and it just might work in a pinch. (maybe, I haven't tried it)

Nor­wegr
    This is probably yet another dumb question for the people in the know on here, but does this item come with the cups mentioned? (I assume it's the two pieces with the lips sticking out)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7390

It isn't that expensive to buy the entire thing, it'd leave me with some spares aswell which is never a bad thing.

PS- I'll make a how to thread after I get everything done and dusted so the regulars on here don't log on only to see the same question over and over again
    Last edited by Vegard; 07-22-2009 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    This is probably yet another dumb question for the people in the know on here, but does this item come with the cups mentioned? (I assume it's the two pieces with the lips sticking out)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7390

It isn't that expensive to buy the entire thing, it'd leave me with some spares aswell which is never a bad thing.

PS- I'll make a how to thread after I get everything done and dusted so the regulars on here don't log on only to see the same question over and over again
    That headset wont work. You need a Cannondale Si. Its because those are a 1.5 steerer. Cannondale uses 1 9/16'', which is slightly bigger than 1.5.

Here is one:

Nor­wegr
    Really?
    It was the one chainreaction advised me to buy after I told them about my "project".
    Can't find a Si one online so I guess I have to do some calls tomorrow to brick and mortar stores.

mtbr member
    Really?
    It was the one chainreaction advised me to buy after I told them about my "project".
    Can't find a Si one online so I guess I have to do some calls tomorrow to brick and mortar stores.
    CRC must have been confused. That is a headset similar to the one that you have now that reduces the HT size from 1.5 to 1 1/8.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast