mtbr member

Cannondale F5 Question

Hi All,

I'm brand new here so hello! I bought a Cannondale F5 2009, red, in June of 2009 while my brother was fighting cancer. I'd been using an ancient, 1999, Specialized Hardrock bought at a pawnshop and it was never working right, no front shocks, and I have painful physical disabilities that were exacerbated without shocks.
    I went to the local shop here in Hamilton, Pieriks Cycle, and picked up the red f5. I loved it, except that the mechanic could never fix it right. I think it was him, I hope so, as it worked fine but there were these awful clicking and crackling sounds that took until October to fix.
    i loved the bike. I put 1,500 miles on the bike building up strength and using it for "therapy" dealing with my only sibling's illness. He died in November. earlier that month my locked bike was stolen from outside a business and as I am on a disability pension right now, the 1,000 dollar cdn loss was devestating. I was paying off that credit card for months.
    So, I digress.
    I've put another bike on layaway with Pieriks, thinking it was a black f5, 2010 model. Today I made the last payment and it will be in in a week. they didn't have my frame size in and she said, "I don't know if we can get in 2009 models." and I stared. '2009?? I was led to believe it was a 2010 mode."
    No. It's a 2009. She did find a 2009 in small frame and I'll have it in about a week give or take a day or so.

Long way to get to this. I apologize. I was up all night, eagerly awaiting the 2010 F5 today. Can the F5 2009 be upgraded with components to the 2010 model's improvements? I mean, can I effectively build it up to the 2010 or will that be cost prohibitive?

What are your opinions on the 2009 F5? I'll post a pic when I get it. See, I'm using this to train for the 2010 June 12/13th 200 MILE Ride to Conquer Cancer. As a two time survivor myself, it's important. Then Jerry died and I'd vowed to do it, so I started paying down this bike. It has to get me through up to 500 km of riding a week, this 200 mile/321.9 km weekend charity ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls, a year of riding, and the 2011 same charity ride.

Tips, advice?How can I best use and care for this bike when I pick it up? I want it to last as long as possible and if those of you who have an F5, 2009 model, or have had one, could share your joys and irritations with the bike, I would really appreciate it. Things to do and to avoid doing? That sort of thing.

Thank you,
    Chase

mtbr member
    I'm a newbe myself so I'll do the best I can. First off do not cross chain..LOL...found out the hard way... had to repalce chain and rear derailer on my F5 in the first month of riding. Second the Rock Shock 3 does not lock out the entire way. Besides that I really enjoy riding mine.

mtbr member
    cross chain? Explain for me. I think i've heard this, like "Don't ever put it on this wheel, that gear" but can't remember which. Help?

How does one clean the disc brakes so it doesn't sound like Armageddon when braking, and when do we clean them?

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale F5 Question-clear-cannondale-f5-2009.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ChaseRising; 03-19-2010 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh, crap...didn't realize I wasn't posting to the photo album but to the thread. I'm in the middle of uploading a YouTube to raise funds for the cancer ride in June...will rectify later. Well, one of them is the BIKE. LOL..you can figure out which.
    *bangs head on desk*

Gravity's Gone
    I don't understand the layaway snafu. You were paying on a bike that wasn't even in their shop? If I understand your post correctly, you paid off the bike and THEN they ordered it? Strange. If I go to my lbs to lay away a bike it's one they have on the floor or they order what I need. In other words I'm laying away a bike that I have physically seen color, model year, etc and actually test ridden. Then that bike goes in the back room until I pay it off. This is normal layaway policy in any store, not just bike shops. Good luck and welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    Very usefull info or cross chaining
    http://coachlevi.com/cycling/proper-chainline-example and http://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/08/09/cross-chaining/
    In a nutshell when in the small chain ring stay away from the bottom two cogs in the middle stay away from the largest and smallest cogs and the big ring stay away from the two largest. Hope this helps..good luck with yoru ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nankerphelge
    I don't understand the layaway snafu. You were paying on a bike that wasn't even in their shop? If I understand your post correctly, you paid off the bike and THEN they ordered it? Strange. If I go to my lbs to lay away a bike it's one they have on the floor or they order what I need. In other words I'm laying away a bike that I have physically seen color, model year, etc and actually test ridden. Then that bike goes in the back room until I pay it off. This is normal layaway policy in any store, not just bike shops. Good luck and welcome aboard!
    I thought medium at first, then emailed 3.5 weeks ago saying "Small frame, and in black."
    Got back "We'll size when you come in." which seemed odd.
    I swear she never told me it was the 2009 model. I'm not happy. But it's paid for and I'm waiting. God, I'll have like 8 weeks to train for a 200 mile/two day event for cancer. Yikes.
    Had I have known, I'd have asked for 2010. Or when i was in the other day, she could have told me one more payment and I'd own the better model on sale price. Or some concession. Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I've now bookmarked the sights.