Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cannondale F400 - taller and slimmer wheels? ( Newbie question )

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Unwritten77 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello forums,
New poster here!

I just got given a F400 cannondale by a family member who hasn't been riding in many years.

Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

The bike looks decent and has no scratches, I decided to store it indoors because it looks like it would be worth more than $100 and I don't trust the outside.

I would like to ride this bike Im 6' tall and this bike has a Large frame but I feel like it's way too small for me - from the wheel perspective at least - they look tiny compared to my other regular commuting bike.

I would like to buy some better wheels, and convert this to more of a roadbike than what it is.

What do you suggest I should do? Can I buy 700cc slimmer tires on this bad boy?

I am really new to this, I usually just ride - without asking questions - whichever bike I am sold that I am told would fit me. I also commute every day.

Any advice would be very welcome

See less See more
#2 ·
650b plus a 38-40 tire would be a good plan. I don't know if 700c will fit under that fork unless you go with a true road tire.

Check out the F series thread on this forum. A lot of cool, revitalized F series bikes on that thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What ^he^ said.

Rim brakes means the wheel size is what you have to use.

Disc brakes would have allowed you to change diameters without a problem.

There's plenty of slick, 26" tires available though, so go fish!

Enjoy, that's a made in the USA frame, and well, they just don't make them in the US anymore, all part of a proud heritage being squandered by a couple uber rich boyz who like big box toys as much as real bikes.....

#7 ·
Thank you, what do you mean by "big box toys"?
This bike is great, I just need to fix the tires because they're leaking a little bit of air and get something more comfortable for the road (which I can always swap out later on) - maybe take it for a gear check at the local pedal pushers, other than that - it's a dope bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.