mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cannondale F4- deal or no deal?

Hey gang,

First time poster.

Ok so I bought a Cannondale Qucik 2 earlier in the season and now Im jealous of my buddies who are on the local trails- I recently reconnected with some old friends who trail ride and I dont have a bike to do it with.

I am looking seriously at buying a Cannondale F4- for $900 no tax- Its the 2010 model.

My question is any opinions on the price? I think its a fair deal but maybe someone out there
    has some input. Also, I was considering the F5 which is less money and has slightly stepped down equipment, Mechanical disc brakes vs hydraulic and the derailer I believe is not as good. Will I really notice these things? Probably not- but input is always nice.

Thanks for hearing me out.
    MDEZZ

josephr
    Apr 2010

a fool and his money are quickly parted...

there's a lot of hype out there and most of it nuts! just go read the reviews where morons drone on all day about how the Fox Float RP23 is so much better than the Fox Float RP2 or whatever....When I started mtn biking, my first bike had Deore with SIS and canterpull brakes!

a lot of the new technology has trickled down into the lower lines and while there might not be that latest-greatest factor, the gap b/t the top and mid-grade components has narrowed a lot. I have a hardtail with the Tektro mechanical brakes and it stills stops very well and has good control. It certainly doesn't have the feel of the hydraulic brakes that are on my full-suspension, but still I'd choose mecahnical disk over the best v-brake. Note: At the Performance store in ATL, they have a couple of sets of XT v-brakes that have been on their clearance table for 6 months! That oughta tell you something.

The harsh reality of it is that bikes are terrible investments and the differences b/t and F4 and an f5 isn't that big of deal. You're probably a lot better off catching a deal on ebay or craigslist for a used hardtail than buying a new bike, cannondale or not. Have a buddy be your second set of eyes and be patient until you catch the right deal for you. In a couple of years, you'll be wanting a top-of-the-line full suspension anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by josephr
    there's a lot of hype out there and most of it nuts! just go read the reviews where morons drone on all day about how the Fox Float RP23 is so much better than the Fox Float RP2 or whatever....When I started mtn biking, my first bike had Deore with SIS and canterpull brakes!

a lot of the new technology has trickled down into the lower lines and while there might not be that latest-greatest factor, the gap b/t the top and mid-grade components has narrowed a lot. I have a hardtail with the Tektro mechanical brakes and it stills stops very well and has good control. It certainly doesn't have the feel of the hydraulic brakes that are on my full-suspension, but still I'd choose mecahnical disk over the best v-brake. Note: At the Performance store in ATL, they have a couple of sets of XT v-brakes that have been on their clearance table for 6 months! That oughta tell you something.

The harsh reality of it is that bikes are terrible investments and the differences b/t and F4 and an f5 isn't that big of deal. You're probably a lot better off catching a deal on ebay or craigslist for a used hardtail than buying a new bike, cannondale or not. Have a buddy be your second set of eyes and be patient until you catch the right deal for you. In a couple of years, you'll be wanting a top-of-the-line full suspension anyway.
    I went with the f4 and Im sure it will be great

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdezz
    I went with the f4 and Im sure it will be great
    Good. I have Avid 3's and after a break in period they work great now. I don't think I'll ever go back to mechanical disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You have the 2010 f4 as well? How much did you pay if I may ask?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You have the 2010 f4 as well? How much did you pay if I may ask?
    No, I have a Scalpe with the same Avid juicy 3 brakes. I have an F600 from 2003. No disc brakes but same fatty headshok I think. Very nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The 2010 F4 does not have juicy brakes. It has Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 160/160mm brakes. Are we talking about the same bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh well nevermind then. But still I think the F4 a great bike. Similiar to my F600 but more modern.

mtbr member
    $900 tax free is a good price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bought the bike in White

Quote Originally Posted by PG256
    $900 tax free is a good price.
    So I have the bike a few weeks and really enjoying it on my local trails here in Queens NY.
    The issue Im having with the hydraulic brakes is that I have brake rub on the front disc.

Im new to hydraulic disc brakes and find adjusting them not so simple. I read to insert a business card between the pad and disc and squeeze the brake handle a few times but that seems like a temp fix. Anyone else having an issue with brake rub on this bike?

Thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    So I have the bike a few weeks and really enjoying it on my local trails here in Queens NY.
    The issue Im having with the hydraulic brakes is that I have brake rub on the front disc.

Im new to hydraulic disc brakes and find adjusting them not so simple. I read to insert a business card between the pad and disc and squeeze the brake handle a few times but that seems like a temp fix. Anyone else having an issue with brake rub on this bike?

Thanks
    Matt

I bought my 2010 F4 back in March for just under $900 and it's been Awesome. I like the way it accelerates and climbs. It also tracks really well on the down hills. I've made some additions/changes (Bar ends, 180mm up front, Bombshell wheels w/Swable Rocket Ron's and SLX crank) to my F4 but I credit the frame for it's overall performance.

As for the brakes, I also had trouble with rubbing but after my LBS adjusted them when they installed my new crank it's been trouble free...but the front is noisy. I'm sure I'll upgrade the brakes before next summer.

I have well over 300 miles on this bike (my computer broke about a month ago) and now I feel confident enough to enter a few races with it...I'm looking forward to it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale F4- deal or no deal?-getattachment.aspx.jpg  

Last edited by zenkem; 08-01-2010 at 02:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Good price. I cannot find one and waiting for the 2011's.