mtbr member

cannondale f29 Carbon 3

Considering purchasing my first Cannondale. Currently riding a Niner Air9 which I would describe as a bit nervous up front. Have grown used to it over the last couple years. Originally was looking to go with a superfly 9.7 but now have put the f29 Carbon 3 on the short list. My question is , those that own one would you discribe this as being bit nervous/ twitchy up front with the 71 deg head tube? I see the the new F-si has a slacker head tube but can't justify the extra cost plus don't care for the color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check out the "post your Flash" thread on this Cannondale forum site. A guy put a 29+ wheel and tire on the front and slacken up the front of his new F29 carbon 3.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    I have a '12 F29 3 and I don't feel it is twitchy at all. I even went to a 100mm fork over the 90mm it came with. I really like it myself. I have never not had any confidence it it on any terrain I have ridden it on.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

Never trust a fart
    The F29 is considered as a XC race bike. It's very nimble and responsive. The F-Si is even more so. Even with the slacker head tube angle. The F-Si is a totally different bike. Puts the F29er to shame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've owned a couple of F29's and thought the handling to be superb.
    It's designed for speed and nimble responsive handling.....it does that.

The trend towards slack and relaxed might be accepted by some but I will always prefer steeper HT angle and low BB for my riding style.

Try climbing slow long steep terrain on 67*- 68* angled bike with the rear tire under you , now you have TWITCHY and NERVIOUS . lol

mtbr member
    I must say after looking at the Geo on both the F29 and the So I was surprised to see in fact these are not the same frame with simply a different head type angle. The So with the slacker Geo also has a longer wheelbase. My local bike shop just became a Cannondale dealer so we'll have to see what kind of deal we can swing. Would prefer a 2014 model only because they offered an XT build. Not fan of the brake options offered on the 3 or the 4 and don't care for the color on the f2. Never fails always a year late of the color I prefer. I suppose there's always a chance they have a few left overs? Never thought I'd ever be considering a Cannondale, but after riding one a short distance and researching the lefty I'm having a change of hart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a '15 F29 3 and I don't find it twitchy at all. I feel very, very confident on how it handles. With as good as it handles, I find the comment above to be incredulous that the FSI puts the F29 to shame. Having said that, I would believe that either bike handle extremely well. My only regret is not discovering the Lefty sooner.

mtbr member
    Mansram01. Any idea on the weight? Also what size frame. I think my biggest complaint would be the choice of brakes on the Carbon 3. I've been going back and forth between the superfly 9.7 and the F29 carbon 3. Happen to run across a thread last night and between the two bike the F3 won out 75% to 25% in the polls. That's a pretty much a land slide in my book.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    Mansram01. Any idea on the weight? Also what size frame. I think my biggest complaint would be the choice of brakes on the Carbon 3. I've been going back and forth between the superfly 9.7 and the F29 carbon 3. Happen to run across a thread last night and between the two bike the F3 won out 75% to 25% in the polls. That's a pretty much a land slide in my book.
    The F3 is really fun and nimble. Mine is a large and weighs 23.6 with pedals. I'll have to replace the chunky wheels at some point if I want to significantly drop some weight on it. But compared to my full-susser alloy Yeti, she's mighty light.

mtbr member
    I've noticed a few have made mention that the front end on the F 29 sits higher due to the lefty . can someone give me a vertical measurement from the ground to the top of the stem on a medium frame. Just want to compare the measurement to my current ride. Local shop does not have any in stock yet otherwise I'd just stop in and see for myself

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've noticed a few have made mention that the front end on the F 29 sits higher due to the lefty . can someone give me a vertical measurement from the ground to the top of the stem on a medium frame. Just want to compare the measurement to my current ride. Local shop does not have any in stock yet otherwise I'd just stop in and see for myself
    Can't tell you the measurement for a medium but a large is 39-1/2" from the ground up to the stem.

mtbr member
    Finally made the trip to a dealer that had a f29's in stock. I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the flat finish quality on the carbon 3. I noticed the finish had already started rubbing off on all the area's that the cables rubbed at. I was fairly impressed as to how light the aluminum version was. I had expected to fall in love with the bike but that was not the case. I can get passes the swapping out the brakes, shifters, bars and seat post but the poor finish quality maybe a deal killer for me. Now if they had 2014 in stock that had a traditional paint job, that may be a different story. So a bit more thinking is in order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Finally made the trip to a dealer that had a f29's in stock. I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the flat finish quality on the carbon 3. I noticed the finish had already started rubbing off on all the area's that the cables rubbed at. I was fairly impressed as to how light the aluminum version was. I had expected to fall in love with the bike but that was not the case. I can get passes the swapping out the brakes, shifters, bars and seat post but the poor finish quality maybe a deal killer for me. Now if they had 2014 in stock that had a traditional paint job, that may be a different story. So a bit more thinking is in order.
    If the flat finish on the Carbon 3 is really that big a problem & you where swapping out the brakes bars blah blah blah, then why not save a heap of pounds, euro's or dollars and get the Carbon 4 in shiny black 'traditional paint'.

I have had mine since September & its like cheating, it really is that good.

mtbr member
    The 4 is a consideration but not a real fan of that color combo. Wish it had a bit more white in it like last year. I know this is a trend with the flat finishes and most manufacturers are doing the same thing. A few years back my son had a bike with the flat finish and I recall it scuffing very easily. I plan on having the shop see if there's any 2014 models still left in inventory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Go and ride the Trek and the F3 then choose which one you like to RIDE not look at. I've got a F29 Carbon 2 and brought it as the other 9 bikes I RODE were crap.

mtbr member
    Have riden a superfluous in the past and is a pretty rig, but to be honest is on part with other style xc 29rs. Due to the time of year getting any real saddle time on the f29 is tough. However the little time I did ride I was impressed with. Only real downer is it looks like this will be the last year for the current f29 frame. Next year they will all be on the new SI frame. Granted thats a good thing unless you're making a purchase this year.