mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannondale Europe selling off 2004 models with huge reductions

He in the Uk shops are starting to sell off the 2004 models already,

An example is the F4000sl. It retails at 3299. Its now 2499 a huge reduction .

Scalpels also have upto 300 -400 off

Jeckylls 200 - 250.

Are cannondale in problems ?????

It also exposes how much they are over pricing their models aswell.

F4000sl nearly 1000 off !!!!!!!!!!!!

That could buy you a Jeckyll with the money you saved.

My local bike dealer told me to buy fast because the f4000sl would sell out and any that where left wouldnt have any good deals on them.

Now I am holding out even more and when I do buy I,m not going back to his shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Jekyll Price

I have seen a 2004 Jekyll 1000 for 1899 normal price 2400.
    500 off not bad. But will it be worth waiting till the 2005 Jekyll replacement comes out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I know what you are saying. It make me think either that are in dire trouble. Or they have something so radical coming out on their new models that it makes all 2004 models less value.

Kind of like when a new car comes out that has been radically re-designed. Prices of the old cars go down in value.

I think they are in trouble myself. Over production and not enough sales.

mtbr member
    Checking the market data on BIKEQ.PK , it looks O.K. to me, but I'm no expert. I think it's just a seasonal thing. By now most people already have the bike they will be riding for the rest of the year. I imagine winter and early spring are the time when most cyclists do thier new bike shopping.
    I remember reading that Pegasus Group ( the holding company that saved Cannondale) planned to leave the original management to do its thing (minus the motorsports division) for about five years before they sold it. As innovative as Cannondale is, they won't just go away. The value of all thier patents and of course the name itself will be more than enough to stay in the game. If I read the market data correctly, they became profitable again as soon as they were rid of the motorsports division.

mtbr member

Off topic a bit...

I've never understood why the European models differ From the North American ones... Is it availibility of the parts? Does someone care to expalin it to me
    Last edited by The1footfreerider; 06-01-2004 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Friend typed something when i wasnt looking

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Sell off

Tell me about it, bought my Gemini 3 months ago, but I can't see a small for that reduced price...It's just a seasonal thing, a nice early sell off before the next years bikes are shown, I know that Kona are showing pr-production bikes for 05.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Most high-end bike purchases have already been done for the '04 year. Makes lots of sense that they want to get rid of their existing stock before people hear about the '05 stuff and want that instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote : Most high-end bike purchases have already been done for the '04 year. Makes lots of sense that they want to get rid of their existing stock before people hear about the '05 stuff and want that instead.

Yes and on finance probably over 12-24 months. What a nice present after 6months into your agreement. To find that your bike is now going for 200-900 less.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The1footfreerider
    I've never understood why the European models differ From the North American ones... Is it availibility of the parts? Does someone care to expalin it to me
    It applies with cars too for example.

A bit of speculation but: I think the differences are sometimes attributable to market needs and wants - The euro MTB market is very different in contrast to US market. So slight variations are made to make the product more attractive or better suited to euro conditions.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    I contacted my Local cannondale dealer on the price of a Team Scalpel frame and it was far from discounted. I am going to approach them closer to summer time to see if the price comes down.

FWIW the frame and fork + cranks was selling for $6100 which is about $4900US. Seems like a lot but when you take a highend frame add say XTR cranks and a FOX F100X the difference is small....
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Thats part of life deal with it, make your best deal and live with it. It happens to almost every consumer driven product. Someone will always at one point get a better deal than you did, just be happy with what you have.

ceteris paribus
    Looks like the bike market is giving so much relevance to innovation, that it's starting to behave somehow like the computer market. Though not as crazy, for now. I've been buying last season's latest stuff for quite a while, in order to score those juicy discounts. But then again, that means not having the latest of the latest.
    The theory of just trying to bring up demand in a "slow season" to empty stock is also good and worth giving some thought.

Can anyone post some data, like the variation of prices in highend bikes for the last few years in both the US and Europe, or monthly supply or sales data, or something like that? That could be interesting. I saw an adress to BIKEQ.PK on an earlier post, but I couldn't find a link into it.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XTICO I know what you mean. I am thinking about purchasing a 2004 model in late 2004. Their profit markup on high end bikes I just silly. Its because they sell very few of their high end models and they thihk that the people who buy they have money to waste.

Only when they realise that they have sold less high end bikes than they expected to they cut their margins. This then exposes how much they are overpricing.

The 2004 team issue bike probably costs around 1500 max.

Thats about a 3000 profit margin. Here in the uk

The f4000sl about 1000 if that. It retailed at 3299.

So again a 2299 profit margin.

Alot of bike companies are starting to live off hype and gimics. They thing they are the next Nike or Addidas.

A reasonable product is all that we bikers would like. Not a Full blown XTR light the latest one legged fork or a gearset that changes on voice commands. They are gimics.

Cannodale have the highest priced bikes going.!!! And it dosnt reflect in their technology or quality.

Frame wise Klein make better.
    Giant produce awesome downhills.
    Specialized make awesome XC bikes.

And they all off better value for money.

Cannodale need to have a re-think.

mtbr member
    Kleins are make by trek, their frames are almost as bad as the other two companies taiwan made crap. And all 3 manufacturers have pivot problems with there full suspension bikes because they are too cheap to use bearings. If you like them so much go buy one, oh and enjoy the fork maintenance while your at it. As for me i'll keep my one legged fork gimic and hope for the full xtr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JM you are disalusioned???

Have you owned any other bike than a Cannodale. ???

What I am saying is that their are alot of other manifacturers out there making cheaper and in alot of peoples view better bikes than Cannondale.

Cannondale are trying to live up to the Kleins of old. Boutique bikes with a high price tag.

The low end bikes of Cannondale dont even compare to some of the other models people make. Fullstop

Yeti
    Giant
    Kona all make sweet XC and downhill bikes. With no problems at all.

Isnt the Carbon Elo lefty going to be dropped aswell due to a parts problem.

Cannodale suffer from problems aswell.!!!! Yet their bikes are far overpriced.

Like i have said before high prices dont mean quality.

I will be looking around for decent deals yes. You can buy better and for less so dont fall into the trap that what you are paying for is well worth it.

ceteris paribus
    The ELO was a gamble, so was the CAAD, Lefty, Motorsport Division, Scalpel, using 6061AL, the wider headtube, six13, etc; some of this paid off, some didn't. That's not what's important, the important thing is that they are willing to take longshots when it comes to developing their technology. That's why their technology is still superior by far to that of most other companies.
    Their technology is targeted for racers, when you're racing you wanna have that edge TODAY, not a year from now; by then it won't be an edge anymore. That's what you pay for, that's what you get. That's why I said that the bike market is starting to behave like the computer hardware market, where having the top of the line TODAY might cost you big bucks, but you're getting next year's preformance TODAY, and that's worth the money.
    In my case, I'm not interested in short races that are won by a second but in long endurance races that are won by minutes, so having last years latest technology is not really going to take away my edge.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    so they actually did a price reduction? yesterday i went to a bikeshop here in Hong Kong and the team issue optimo frame was only about 5,300 HKD or 370 pounds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    LBS here had F800s marked down to 1399 Euro ($1750), which I reckon is a good price for Germany, but regualar price at the PX Sports Store is $1350, so doesn't do me much good.

Sure wish I could get my wife to 'authorize' the funding of said F800 w/the blue w/flames paint....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Germany
    LBS here had F800s marked down to 1399 Euro ($1750), which I reckon is a good price for Germany, but regualar price at the PX Sports Store is $1350, so doesn't do me much good.

Sure wish I could get my wife to 'authorize' the funding of said F800 w/the blue w/flames paint....

Hey Carl, check out evanscyles.co.uk, huge cannondale sale, i paid 1300gbp for my F800, just seen on on their site for a grand,and theres huge reductions on C'dale 2003 stuff, saw 500 off a Gemini 900 and (i think,so dont hold me to this) 1200 off a 2003 Jeckyl 3000. Theyve also got a lot of big discounts on Scott, Specialized and various other brand bikes.

They'll deliver to Germany as well, so buy the F800 and use some of the 300 you've saved to butter up her indoors before its delivered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, but with the dollar to pound exchange rate, I'm looking at close to $1900. Besides, my F300 w/XT drive train, SRAM grip shifters, Skareb Comp, better bar/seat/stem AND the XT hubs & Mavic X618 rims I just ordered, I'm a little in the red, as far as buttering up the wife goes.

I know, should've just bought the F800 to start, but it's SO much easier to shake money loose in $300 or so increments. She about s**t over paying $475 for the bike; I'd still be sleeping on the couch if I'd bought the F800. The upshot is now that she realizes that quality cost money, she'll be a little more amenable to spending a bit more when I get another bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Quote : Most high-end bike purchases have already been done for the '04 year. Makes lots of sense that they want to get rid of their existing stock before people hear about the '05 stuff and want that instead.

Yes and on finance probably over 12-24 months. What a nice present after 6months into your agreement. To find that your bike is now going for 200-900 less.
    well thats true about any high value product

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    XTICO I know what you mean. I am thinking about purchasing a 2004 model in late 2004. Their profit markup on high end bikes I just silly. Its because they sell very few of their high end models and they thihk that the people who buy they have money to waste.

Only when they realise that they have sold less high end bikes than they expected to they cut their margins. This then exposes how much they are overpricing.

The 2004 team issue bike probably costs around ?1500 max.

Thats about a ?3000 profit margin. Here in the uk

The f4000sl about ?1000 if that. It retailed at ?3299.

So again a ?2299 profit margin.

Alot of bike companies are starting to live off hype and gimics. They thing they are the next Nike or Addidas.

A reasonable product is all that we bikers would like. Not a Full blown XTR light the latest one legged fork or a gearset that changes on voice commands. They are gimics.

Cannodale have the highest priced bikes going.!!! And it dosnt reflect in their technology or quality.

Frame wise Klein make better.
    Giant produce awesome downhills.
    Specialized make awesome XC bikes.

And they all off better value for money.

Cannodale need to have a re-think.
    nope again you forgot to include thegood old chancellors exchange rates and vat

so if it did cost 1500 quid to make a team bike you can stick an extra grand on for the supply chain and taxes and import duties shipping etc all of which is a two stage process

beleive me the trade price is more than 1500 quid alot more

cannondale ship their bikes to europe before they then get shipped to the uk

evans are probably one of cannondales biggest uk dealers and as such wont order one bike they might order 25
    making a volume discount when it comes to sale time is then easier as they paid less than your average shop that buys one bike making it look like a huge profit margin

it isnt