mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Cannondale Cujo thread

Just picked up my 2018 Cujo. Loving the feel of this bike. It's the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I guess it's like they say... when you know, you know.

Who all is riding a cujo? There wasn't a thread for them so I started one. Would like to see pictures! I need inspiration!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I bought my Cujo 3 a few months ago. I love this bike. Comfy and fun to ride.

Thinking about upgrades: forks and tubeless tires.

Here's a photo from the day I bought it:Cannondale Cujo thread-cujo3.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you found a bash guard that works for the cujo?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Nope. Before I do that, I've been thinking about swapping the double chainset for a single, and tossing the front derailleur and shifter. Looking for suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I recently purchased a new 2018 Cannondale Cujo 1. I have ridden it a few times - some single tracking and some trail riding in Northern NJ. So far so good with the bike. Overall I am very happy with it as it is my first Mountain Bike purchase (I mainly ride a Road Bike). Just getting into Mountain biking. I love the dropper post and the 1X11 gears. Everything is stock on the bike but I did switch the saddle to a WTB Pure. Still learning and enjoying it...hope to get some nicer days soon to continue riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Cujo. Loving the feel of this bike. It's the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I guess it's like they say... when you know, you know.

Who all is riding a cujo? There wasn't a thread for them so I started one. Would like to see pictures! I need inspiration!
    Now that I recently purchased the Cannondale Cujo 1, what are any of you who are riding newer Cannondale Cujo's feel the best upgrade would be to this bike or what is your first planned upgrade you are thinking about making? I have added the WTB Pure Pro Saddle and a set of Shimano Saint MX80 pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anybody have an idea of max tire size? How much room between the stock tires and the chainstays? I am intrested in running 3.25 or even 3.8 tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Hope

Well I just upgraded my Cujo 1 with a set of Maxxis DHF/DHRII 2.8 tires and set them up tubeless. Can't wait to give them a test on the trails! No suprises doing the tubeless setup but the Maxxis tires were a bear to fit on these stock Cannondale Rims. Just needed to do a few dry mounts of the tires to get them to stretch some and then let them sit overnight. Hopefully they will stretch some overtime because I don't know how I would get a tube in there in case of a bad flat on the trails. I will carry a DynaPlug and 2oz. of Stan's with me just in case.

Also, wanted to let you know that I spoke with a Rep. from WTB about the standard WTB Comp. Ranger tires that come on the Cujo. These tires are not Tubeless ready and are only designed for tubes. He also told me that upgrading these tires would be a definite plus. (Of course he was pushing WTB TCS tires for the upgrade).
    Last edited by stangmanrider; 01-30-2018 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I purchased a 2017 Cujo 1 last fall and have made a few updates. Went tubeless with 2.8 Nobby Nics, clipless w XT trail pedals, and new ergon grips. My next upgrade may be the brakes. I'm 6'2" 245 and need more stopping power. I may just start with bigger rotors F/B. I'm experiencing a lot more pedal strike with this bike than my previous and am thinking of ways to bring the BB height up. Considering replacing the fork w 130mm RS Reba and/or possibly trying to get a 29er wheelset and the widest 29er tires i can fit. It's been a lot of fun to ride and a huge step up from my 1998 Kona Lavadome.

CujoKid
    Apr 2018
    Just bought a Cujo 1 at REI in Northern NJ. Love it.

CujoKid
    Apr 2018
    I took the factory bash guard off my 2018 Cujo 1. Will see what happens, but doesn't seem likely that I will need it. Famous last words...

CujoKid
    Apr 2018
    Just bought a Cujo 1. Love it. Rode it today along the beach in Cape Cod with deflated tires. Stock. Worked great, but a real workout.

mtbr member
    Would a 3.0 tire fit? My wife has a Scarlet which is basically the same except it's a XS frame.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Yes the Cujo fits 3.0 tires, but that is about max without possible rubbing issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Has anyone found a good dropper post? I am looking to get one for my Cujo3.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just recently picked up a 2017 Cujo 3. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a particular bash guard (or if it's even necessary to have one)? Took it out for the first time the other day and noticed the chainring was taking some abuse. Also, any insight on how to better protect a new 2017 Cujo 3 would be helpful!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Dont need a bash guard, just take it off.

Nothing else to "protect", it's a mountain bike, meant to get dirty and things are going to get roughed up if you end up on bad lines. Just enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks RAKC, it's a new sport for me so your advice is really helpful. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hey RAKC, last question(s)... I'm a big guy 6' 4" close to 290lbs. Any recommendations to "fortify" the bike at all? Suspension reducers or anything of that nature? Also, do you happen to know if the Cujo 3 is tubeless ready? Thanks again for any help.
    Last edited by BigBoyBiker; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM. Reason: adding question

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I have the beast of the east (higher end cannondale 27.5+ that they stopped after 2017 and went to the Cujo)

Forks need an upgrade, mine came with the Raidon which is better than the XCR. Raidon wasnt bad (I liked them until my fat ass wore them out in a season but I ride hard) just big guy on entry forks they dont last as well. I skipped the rebuild plan when I found a lightly used magnum pro on Ebay for $250.

Rims are WTB OEM versions of the scraper rims and tubless works great on them. The tires I am unsure. I had the tires I wanted ordered at the same time as the bike. Stock tires if they are locked to the head seats well then wont be a problem. I set stock tires up tubeless while waiting for new tires and had no issues.

I will warn you. Rear hubs if it's the formula versions may eat bearings. My was the thru axle version and I got 1 season eating stock set plus 2 good sets of bearings before Cannondale gave a credit towards a new rear set up (they didnt have wheels to fit mine anymore). Shop gave me a DT swiss 350 hub at cost so I paid the little difference, bought spokes and rebuilt my rear wheel. Rims themselves are plenty good enough IMHO so have no desire to upgrade. Now that rear hub is a good one life is great.

Plus side is if you have any issues, Cannondale warranty service is amazing as long as your shop is decent (they have to take the few minutes to deal with any claim).

I have since upgraded to full shimano m7000 brakes and 1x11 drivetrain, raceface sixc 35 bars and such now. Stuff wasnt a need but just what I like. Stock drivetrain and brakes are on my fat bike now.

Also, I am not much smaller than you, was your weight much of last season (only 6'1 though). 0 complaints about the bike for the price. I almost got a Cujo but they had my Beast in stock only in my size still, went that route only cause of the color.

PS GET RID OF CHEAP PEDALS.

Dont use alloy pedals either, you'll find your feet and ankles dont like the impacts. Good composite (aka fancy plastic) pedals with proper replaceable pins are an amazing thing. I can afford nice fancy alloy pedals, had nice ones on my previous bike. But found the composite pedals I grabbed from LBS cause one pedal broke on my fat bike was a world of difference. Switched all my bikes to the same pedals. Been to hell and back no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I have the beast of the east (higher end cannondale 27.5+ that they stopped after 2017 and went to the Cujo)

Forks need an upgrade, mine came with the Raidon which is better than the XCR. Raidon wasnt bad (I liked them until my fat ass wore them out in a season but I ride hard) just big guy on entry forks they dont last as well. I skipped the rebuild plan when I found a lightly used magnum pro on Ebay for $250.

Rims are WTB OEM versions of the scraper rims and tubless works great on them. The tires I am unsure. I had the tires I wanted ordered at the same time as the bike. Stock tires if they are locked to the head seats well then wont be a problem. I set stock tires up tubeless while waiting for new tires and had no issues.

I will warn you. Rear hubs if it's the formula versions may eat bearings. My was the thru axle version and I got 1 season eating stock set plus 2 good sets of bearings before Cannondale gave a credit towards a new rear set up (they didnt have wheels to fit mine anymore). Shop gave me a DT swiss 350 hub at cost so I paid the little difference, bought spokes and rebuilt my rear wheel. Rims themselves are plenty good enough IMHO so have no desire to upgrade. Now that rear hub is a good one life is great.

Plus side is if you have any issues, Cannondale warranty service is amazing as long as your shop is decent (they have to take the few minutes to deal with any claim).

I have since upgraded to full shimano m7000 brakes and 1x11 drivetrain, raceface sixc 35 bars and such now. Stuff wasnt a need but just what I like. Stock drivetrain and brakes are on my fat bike now.

Also, I am not much smaller than you, was your weight much of last season (only 6'1 though). 0 complaints about the bike for the price. I almost got a Cujo but they had my Beast in stock only in my size still, went that route only cause of the color.

PS GET RID OF CHEAP PEDALS.

Dont use alloy pedals either, you'll find your feet and ankles dont like the impacts. Good composite (aka fancy plastic) pedals with proper replaceable pins are an amazing thing. I can afford nice fancy alloy pedals, had nice ones on my previous bike. But found the composite pedals I grabbed from LBS cause one pedal broke on my fat bike was a world of difference. Switched all my bikes to the same pedals. Been to hell and back no problem.

Thanks man, glad to know the bike will mostly withstand my fatass.