mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cannondale Craigslist Help!

Dear kind people of MTBR please help me out.
    I own one bike and would like this bike but don't know if it is a great deal or Frankenstein's monster.

Please help! Here's the ad

Cannondale Scalpel Mavic Team Replica
    This is not an original Scalpel -- it is a custom. I wanted certain parts and at the time couldn't find the bike that had them all. Below is a list of components and parts that make up this bike:
    Cannondale Scapel Mavic Team Replica Frame (Carbon Rear End)
    Fox Float 32 Front Fork with Lockout
    DT Swiss 2.0 Rear Shock
    Avid Juicy 5 Brakes
    SRAM X9 Front and Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X9 Front and Rear Trigger Shifters
    Shimano XT Deore Front and Rear Hubs
    Mavic x717 Rims
    Michelin Rear Tire
    Kenda Stick-E 2.6 Front Tire (it's a beast)
    TruVativ FireX Crank
    Selle Italia Flite Seat
    Easton Magnesium Stem
    Ritchey Comp Handlebars
    Cane Creek Headset
    Ritchey Handlebar Grips
    I also have Shimano SPD pedals on, that I have on all my bikes, they can be included in the sale or some regular plastic pedals. This bike is my baby, the only reason I want to sell it is to get build a 29er. In a perfect world, I would sell the frame and keep all the components for the next project, but there's not enough room for my wife and I's bikes, so one has to go before the new one starts.

This is not a brand new frame, but the components (brand new when built) are only a couple years old and shift flawless, brake effortless and make for a great ride. The only BAD things about this bike are. . .the front brake squeaks a little. I don't think it's true. I moved a year ago and I think it got bent a little. It still stops on a dime. There are also a few blemishes and pain chips on the frame. I bought the frame used and the chips came with it, but they haven't gotten any worse since purchase.

Please email me for more pictures or questions. Asking $750, but throw and offer out there and I may consider it! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Craigslist Help!-scalpel1.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Fox fork kills it for me.

But it's a decent price if all is in good shape....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That's a Mullet-Bike.

Business in the front, party in the back. = Downhill rig in the front, XC in the back.

You can always sell the fork and buy a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not worth it if you ask me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Holy cow mullet-bike is the best term I've ever heard! Thanks for the help, I am going to go take it for a test ride, I figured $750 wasn't bad for something with a rear suspension and all the parts look expensive by themselves but I know sometimes expensive doesn't necessarily mean good!

Ridin' dirty!
    If that's a 140 Fox Float fork I wouldn't buy the bike other than for parts period, as that set-up might have stressed the frame to a point where the headtube can snap off anytime....there's a reason why bikes have a certain geometry and maximum a/c requirements....some folks out there are just dumb as hell when it comes to "customizing"......on top of that all other components are pretty much entry/ to midlevel, so $750.- is too much....maybe $500.- on a good day....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    PASS. That old soft tail is gonna feel funny, with an All-Mountain fork up front. Plus, it's quite heavy too.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"