mtbr member

Cannondale Chainstays

So as I did my research before getting a Judge, I noticed some negative comments about the chainstays on the Perp (which is similar on the Judge and Prophet). What exactly is the problem with chainstays so long? Or in other words, what did Cannondale hope to achieve with this design?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    the negitive feed back is false. and allot of it may have been from me. BUT I know rip a judge and love the bike. I dont know how they made it so nice to ride but they did. its fast sttable sits into the burms and pulls the twisties. great bikes
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    They have 18" chainstays which in some people's opinions is too long. They are this long to keep the tire from hitting the seat at full travel. Other companies compensate for this by changing seattube position or angle. This leaves you with either an interrupted seattube or a really funky angle that may place you in a less than optimal pedaling position.

-R

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    They have 18" chainstays which in some people's opinions is too long. They are this long to keep the tire from hitting the seat at full travel.

-R
    I like to ride my bikes DH in the slammed postion. The first time I rode the Judge the tire buzzed the saddle. I raised the saddle about an inch which solved that probem. I still regular buzz my ass though

The Judge is an awesome DH bike. Fast and stable.

mtbr member
    I buzzed my ass last weekend and thought it was a mountain lion!

It seems it's about rear manouverability; in other words, shorter chainstay equals more agile.