mtbr member

New question here. Cannondale CAAD frame - need info

I recently bought a 2003 Cannondale F300, new from my LBS here in Brasilia, Brazil.

Although I found it had pretty sub-standard components, I fought it was quite light for the price, and seemed like the ideal bike to build up to something descent. The CAAD frame seems light, and so later adding XT/XTR stuff + lighter crankset + lighter frontal fork would turn the bike into something closer to competition level, as my objective is to do the Iron Bike competition later in September of this year.

Anyhow, I was having a look at weight weenies and wanted to know the weight of the CAAD frame (not the CAAD3, or CAAD4, or CAAD5 - but the standard CAAD that comes with the F300).

Does anyone have any idea how heavy this frame is? Also, what are the main differences between the CAAD frames?

Are you talking to me?

I know this one.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBiker
    I recently bought a 2003 Cannondale F300, new from my LBS here in Brasilia, Brazil.

Although I found it had pretty sub-standard components, I fought it was quite light for the price, and seemed like the ideal bike to build up to something descent. The CAAD frame seems light, and so later adding XT/XTR stuff + lighter crankset + lighter frontal fork would turn the bike into something closer to competition level, as my objective is to do the Iron Bike competition later in September of this year.

Anyhow, I was having a look at weight weenies and wanted to know the weight of the CAAD frame (not the CAAD3, or CAAD4, or CAAD5 - but the standard CAAD that comes with the F300).

Does anyone have any idea how heavy this frame is? Also, what are the main differences between the CAAD frames?
    The CAAD frame that is the 2003 F300 is technically a CAAD 2 frame. Depending on the size, the CAAD 2 frames are in the neighborhood of 4 pounds. As the CAAD number increases, the frame has better internal butting for approximately 1/4 pound per revision. CAAD 2 4lb, CAAD 3 3 3/4lb, CAAD 4 3.5lb, and CAAD 5 3lb. Hope this helps. THe ww board will be referring to your frame as CAAD 2.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply.
    I suppose then that my CAAD2 frame should weigh arround 1.7 kg.

Pity it ain't any lighter. Anyhow, how is this frame compared to other brand frames? Any extra info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had a '95 model F600 CAAD2. With XT level components and custom wheels it was @23.5lbs. and very strong. Good choice.

Are you talking to me?

It is a good frame.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBiker
    Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply.
    I suppose then that my CAAD2 frame should weigh arround 1.7 kg.

Pity it ain't any lighter. Anyhow, how is this frame compared to other brand frames? Any extra info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Well built, decent warranty. It will serve you well. My wife has a 1998 F900 that has a CAAD 2 frame, and it is in great shape. Enjoy.
    gfy