Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Cannondale Bad Boy okay for mountain biking?

I'm thinking about getting a Cannondale Bad Boy. The salesman at the bike shop said I could put either 29" or 26" mountain wheels on the bike and mountain bike on it. How would it handle? Any geometry differences from their regular HT's? I think it would be a great mud bike when I don't want to take the Turner out. Plus, it would be a fun road bike with the road tires on.

Thanks,

Jay

LA CHÈVRE
    The Bad Boy Ultra has the same frame as the F1000, F800... It's a great handling bike off-road. I ride almost the same bike once in a while when my main bike needs some rest and it always reminds me how much I like the geometry of the bike. It climbs as if you had 10 more muscles in each leg! It's not only okay for mountain biking, it's great!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The bad boy ultra is the same as the F600, except for a few components. Compare the two at cannondale.com. My F600 is great offroad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Bad Boy Ultra frame should be great for off-roading... it has a Furio frame but with that jet black matte finish and comparable componentry as an F600SL, but costs more.

No doubt the $ is for that black paint job- and possibly to a degree for the 700c wheels, but the Bad Boy finish does look very sweet

I ended up taking the reverse approach from you, with a bright yello SoBe F600SL that is configured for street, with 1.25" slicks, and i'm very happy with it.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Sorry to go digging but I'm wonder...

This bike can take a 700 road wheel and tyre and this bike is the same as Furio frame, Cannondale states you can fit knobbies to go off-road.
    Does that mean it can take current 29"er off-road tyres?

LA CHÈVRE
    I don't think it can take 29" wheels. The reason you can use both 700 road wheels and 26 mountain wheels is that the road wheel with the skinny tire has a total outer diameter (diameter of the wheel including the mounted tire) close to the 26" wheel with a mountain bike tire. A 29" mountain wheel has a bigger outside diameter that I'm not sure can fit in the fork and frame.

Compulsive Bike Builder

700c = 29"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I don't think it can take 29" wheels. A 29" mountain wheel has a bigger outside diameter that I'm not sure can fit in the fork and frame.
    29" is the same as 700c, it is just a new term given it for mountain bikers, confusion and marketing. Thank you, Gary Fisher.

Disc brakes have made interchangable wheels possible. You can change rim diameters if you use disc brakes. If you use canti brakes and change rim diameters, the brake mounts won't line up.

If you put 29"/700c wheels with road tires, of course they will fit. I would like to know if 29" mtb tires will fit on a Bad Boy, though.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    29" is the same as 700c, it is just a new term given it for mountain bikers, confusion and marketing. Thank you, Gary Fisher.

Disc brakes have made interchangable wheels possible. You can change rim diameters if you use disc brakes. If you use canti brakes and change rim diameters, the brake mounts won't line up.

If you put 29"/700c wheels with road tires, of course they will fit. I would like to know if 29" mtb tires will fit on a Bad Boy, though.
    That's what I meant, when I said I don't think a 29" will fit, I meant a 29"/700c with a normal size (2.0 and over) mountain bike tire. I haven't tried it myself tough.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    That's what I meant, when I said I don't think a 29" will fit, I meant a 29"/700c with a normal size (2.0 and over) mountain bike tire. I haven't tried it myself tough.
    Oops, I can see from your first post that is what you meant. I get a little tweaked about the whole business of calling 700c rims 29" on a mountain bike, sorry to jump all over that one.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    OK so a current 29"er MTB would not fit a Bad Boy (F600) as there is not enough clearance on the fork and stays, but if it's a road sized tyre, of course it would work as Cannondale specced it.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    OK so a current 29"er MTB would not fit a Bad Boy (F600) as there is not enough clearance on the fork and stays, but if it's a road sized tyre, of course it would work as Cannondale specced it.
    I was just going to say that, so now I will just flesh it out a bit. A narrower cyclocross tire will fit, but no "29er" tire will work. They interfere with the rear triangle braces. If you run a Headshock, no luck either, but a lefty will take a 29er tire, just make sure your fork is all the way up in it's mounting bands, and careful bottoming it out,if you happen to do that frequently, the sudden stop may surprise you! I got all excited about this a ways back, and tried it on my CAAD4 swingarmed jekyll, no dice, even with a cross tire. I have not tried it with the newer swingarms, but they have more clearance so I am guessing a cross tire would work now.