mtbr member

Cannodale gemini question

I have a 04 gemini 900, what the best way to lose weight. Has anyone put this on this bike
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s+Wrr+Der.aspx would this be a good upgrade, and then go tubeless. Get a Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, Thomson X4 One Point Five Stem, some kind of carbon handle bars. I don't really know I will take any advice I can get.

mtbr member

How much

do they weigh and how much does your current wheel set weigh?

best place to lose weight is wheels an tyres.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, things like new posts and bars shave off grams for $50-100 a pop...new tires (and even lighter tubes or going tubeless) can improve your handling and shed a lot of weight in a critical place. New rims are another great place to lose weight if you can deal with a lighter rim.

Cranks/bbs can also be a pretty big weight loss for the cost.

mtbr member
    Anyone put saint hub, disk, rear Derailleur on one of these. I think I am going to do it. From the reviews they seem nice. They weight just a bit more than stock, but I pretty sure hub roll better than stock and with the saint derailleur I get rid of the hanger. So I am close to stock weight if not stock, and when tubeless I am pretty sure I will be under stock weight. Also since the saint hubs make you use saint disc, I can still use my hayes levers and caliper correct? thanks for the comments.

mtbr member
    whats a good all around tubeless tire thats light and tough?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You want to lose weight, then use saint parts? Sounds more like you just want to spend money on the bike than acheive a specific goal.

Don't replace disposible items (derailleurs, even rims) until you've worn out the ones you have, IMHO. I mean, you can take that to extremes, but be reasonable...

As to tires, Kenda UST 2.1 Nevegals and Blue Grooves are pretty good and reasonably large. Also been told some of Specialized's 2.4ish options are good, but never used them. I like Michelins for a UST DH tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You want to lose weight, then use saint parts? Sounds more like you just want to spend money on the bike than acheive a specific goal.

Don't replace disposible items (derailleurs, even rims) until you've worn out the ones you have, IMHO. I mean, you can take that to extremes, but be reasonable...

As to tires, Kenda UST 2.1 Nevegals and Blue Grooves are pretty good and reasonably large. Also been told some of Specialized's 2.4ish options are good, but never used them. I like Michelins for a UST DH tire.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I was just thinking that it was a pretty good price for those parts and a good upgrade.

mtbr member

I have an 04 900

Quote Originally Posted by thegromit
    I have a 04 gemini 900, what the best way to lose weight. Has anyone put this on this bike
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s+Wrr+Der.aspx would this be a good upgrade, and then go tubeless. Get a Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, Thomson X4 One Point Five Stem, some kind of carbon handle bars. I don't really know I will take any advice I can get.

If you think you are going to lose weight by switching the stock c-dale hubs and Mavic XM321 rims you're wrong.

These wheels are VERY light for a freeride/DH capable ride.
    Ryno lites are pretty heavy from what I recall.

I went to Mavix DEEMAX and ran tubeless. I believe the weight may have been similar to stock...but the benefit is less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    So what would you do if you had some extra cash to drop on it?

mtbr member

it all depends...

Quote Originally Posted by thegromit
    So what would you do if you had some extra cash to drop on it?

first:
    what kind of riding do you do?
    Is it DH, freeride, All Mountain, trail riding?

If you want to run tubeless, look at getting a set of tubeless wheels. The Ryno lites aren't tubeless (to the best of my knowledge).

If you ride DH..look at the Deemax, or some Mavic 829(?) rims and build up on some light/strong hubs.
    If you trail ride, check out the lighter Mavic tubeless lines, or build up some Mavic 819's.

I know the Gemini stock seatpost was a kalloy anchor. You can get a thompson (I did).

mtbr member
    I just ride anything that there is to ride. If I cant get to the trail that day ill go jump some stairs. It dosent matter to me what I ride just have to ride something at least once a day but I would say I am leaning toward more freeride.