mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannodale 4th in Olympics Mens Final

Cannodale came 4th in the Olympic mens final. I have the odd feeling that they used the wrong bike.

Can you beleive that olympic Scalpel had no rear lockout on the handlebars. The conditions where ideal for HT riders and the top guys where using HT,s apart from Roel Paulissen.

He was flapping around with the rear lockout on the shock before every climb. Wasted resources and time. I think they should have opted for a HT on a dry and dusty circuit.

XC bikes are nice and have all the bells and whistles. But a French man won on a Binachi bike with Rock Shoxs and conventional brakes.

So much for race technology lol.

mtbr member
    It had nothing to do with the bike. The riders who finished ahead of him were stronger. Plain and simple.

Out riding my Scalpel
    One Cannondale rider Christoph Sauser didn't even finish. The top 3 riders were fast and there was nothing those Cannondale bikes could do. It's the riders that win races not the bikes. Well the bikes help, but the rider the one who make a difference. The Americans had a good ride. Best place 19th.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Makes me wonder why we get all this race technology then.

Obviously none of it makes much difference.

It all comes down to the rider like you say.

Surely we just get gimmics thrown at us.

Like the Stealth bomber. Cost alot of money and looked the part. But the British tracked it all the way across the Atlantic with an old radar.

The good old stuff still works wonder they said.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Klein attitude...why the hate? If you knew those guys you would know they are the epitome of weight weenies...The lock out lever, cable, housing and mechanism weighs enough for them to not want to use it...They are pros and they find it more beneficial to manually lock out rather than run the cable. Christoph DNF'd because his chain broke. How may of you race with an extra chain? I mean the guy is #1 in world cup over a series of races. I think that says more than getting unlucky and DNF'ing. Not to mention he along with Roel got caught up in that wicked bottle neck crash. Id say a #4 finish in any situation like that is pretty damn good.

-Ron