mtbr member

Canndale Caffeine F1 29er too slow !

How do i improve the ride of my new F1 29er?
    Here are my complaints.

1. Pick up of momentum is too slow against 26 rims
    2. For the same effort , my speed is only 50% of my scalpel
    3. Generally heavy feel and slow on climbs even at 26lbs! (F1)
    4. Gearing is also compensated but slows down speed.

Is the 29er designed just for leasure ride or can it compete on XC?
    It just cant catch up with the 26 hardtails and racebikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a geared F29 and a 1FG 29er.

TO go fast, its all about the wheels and tires. Pick up a set of industry nine's with stans rims and dont look back. I race expert XC and ultra endurance on my F29 with great results.

mtbr member
    yup definitely wheels and tires. Go with Industry Nines if you have the cash.

mtbr member
    You have to ride a 29er differently. If you wanted snappy acceleration you should have bought a 26" wheeled bike.

However, as mentioned wheels definitely help. Unfortunately the WTB wheels on the bike aren't the lightest out there. So upgrading will make the largest difference. Also recommend going tubeless. Don't be afraid to trust your tyres, the bigger wheels roll better and provide a lot more grip... brake less, lean-over more, keep the momentum going.

Swap out the cassette for XT which should help shave more weight. Keep with the 11-34 gearing. Avoid using the same gear combinations as you do on a 26" bike, because the wheel is larger, the gear ratios are different. You will always have to use a little more effort to get the bike up to speed, but you should be able to maintain more of it- wheelsize.

Try a wide flat bar (Niner and Salsa) and/or flipping the stem so that you are in a more race orientated position i.e. more bar drop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Listen!

I have been riding and absolutely loving my Soulcraft 29er for the past 4 years. This year I got back into racing (Expert) and I have been racing with and without a suspension fork. I usually finish among the top finishers, that said a 29er bike for racing technical NE single track has some draw backs. In "crowded" race situations with people around you riding 26 bikes, you loose some of the 29er advantages. What I mean is that you have to adjust your speed and you can not float over obstacles as you can when just riding, due to riders in your "way". There is also a lot of stop and go situations. Climbs are also tough, when being on a 26 riders wheel and on techy single track it's hard to keep the wheels moving. If the rider on the 26 is riding middle ring and 32/34, you either have to be in the same gear and push harder with a slow cadence or shift to granny.
    I lost two races by less than 30s to riders on light weight carbon FS 26 inch bikes. Seemed I climbed faster but lost some ground on fast down hills and in slow techy sections towards the end of the race. Also, after 2 hours at race pace, 29er wheels are hard to turn over. Sorry guys, I love 29ers but my new race bike is a carbon Cannondale Rush. It weighs less than my Soulcraft, climbs as good, descends faster and chews up techy single track. However, I will NEVER surrender my love for 29ers. Maybe one day Cannondale will make a carbon 29er Scalpel with 2 inches of travel. That would be a great race bike.

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leadpack
    How do i improve the ride of my new F1 29er?
    Here are my complaints.

1. Pick up of momentum is too slow against 26 rims
    2. For the same effort , my speed is only 50% of my scalpel
    3. Generally heavy feel and slow on climbs even at 26lbs! (F1)
    4. Gearing is also compensated but slows down speed.

Is the 29er designed just for leasure ride or can it compete on XC?
    It just cant catch up with the 26 hardtails and racebikes!
    That's 29" wheels for you! They pick up speed slower but roll quicker when they get there.

When you consider that bikes are only "fast" or "slow" based mainly on the input from the engine (you) then you should understand you have to change your riding style; you can't ride a 29er the same way you ride a 26er.

Sounds like you just jumped on the 29er bandwagon without doing any research first......if you wanted your 29er to feel like a 26er then you shouldn't have bought one

mtbr member
    29er race success should be limited to serious riders with serious pockets, otherwise they make a good touring bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've also found that wheels and tires make a much bigger difference on the 29er. I changed over to a Stan's ZTR wheelset and I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs tubeless and that made a night and day difference.
    Adam Gerweck Tree Fort Bikes
    P: 734.484.9999 x 109

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mozami
    29er race success should be limited to serious riders with serious pockets, otherwise they make a good touring bike.
    lol way to resurrect a thread for such a wonderful post.

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    The OP was stellar!!!

So good.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    cheers lol

important question tho

its all in the wheels

mtbr member
    Definately pick up a set of industry nine wheels if you can, I really noticed increased pick up with those and shorten up the stem a little and it should handle a little better.

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    Definately pick up a set of industry nine wheels if you can, I really noticed increased pick up with those and shorten up the stem a little and it should handle a little better.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam@TreeFort
    I've also found that wheels and tires make a much bigger difference on the 29er. I changed over to a Stan's ZTR wheelset and I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs tubeless and that made a night and day difference.
    second that. Also running ZTR / Schwalbe, this bike is a rocket. Few other parts will save you some weight: Cassette: Go for SRAM 990, stock is rather heavy. I would recomend also carbon bar, lighter seat. Got mine now at 23.4 lbs, XL frame and just switched to 1x9. Great bike ...

mtbr member
    static weight it not so much of a problem as much as the wheels and chainset

FIRENZE rulez !!
    go with ZTR Race

mtbr member
    guys, look how old this thread is... if he is still looking for advice, i'd be worried.

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    guys, look how old this thread is... if he is still looking for advice, i'd be worried.
    It is cracking me up.

~Frosty Struthers

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V