luvsingletrack

Cane Creek Double XC or headtube reducers???

Hello Fellow Cannondale riders. I just got a brand new 2004 jekyll frame I am building up from scratch. Unfortunately, i don't have the $ for a lefty right now. In the meantime I will be running a standard 1 1/8" fork. Have any of you had experience with using the available reducers? I would think that by the time you get the reducers in there along with a headset the front end of the jekyll would be way too high as opposed to just the cane creek double xc in there? Is the double xc going to be stronger for me and better for the frame? I appreciate any input. Also, if any of you have spare reducers or a double xc, I am looking to buy. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsingletrack
    Hello Fellow Cannondale riders. I just got a brand new 2004 jekyll frame I am building up from scratch. Unfortunately, i don't have the $ for a lefty right now. In the meantime I will be running a standard 1 1/8" fork. Have any of you had experience with using the available reducers? I would think that by the time you get the reducers in there along with a headset the front end of the jekyll would be way too high as opposed to just the cane creek double xc in there? Is the double xc going to be stronger for me and better for the frame? I appreciate any input. Also, if any of you have spare reducers or a double xc, I am looking to buy. Thanks!
    I run the Double XC on my Jekyll and really, really like it. It has been trouble free; one of those install-and-forget type things. Cane Creek put sealed bearing in it, so I don't anticipate any problems in the future, either. It is a bit expensive, but reducers are hard to get out and you would still need to run a 1 1/8 inch headset. There used to be a company that made a reducer that fit the Cdale headset, but I don't seem to get any response from them, you can try, though, at: nevermind, the link is dead. The company was CLC Concepts. You might find one on Ebay or something.

-James

luvsingletrack
    Thanks for your advice. I decided to go with the Cane Creek. I can't wait to get it all put together!

aka Willy Vanilly
    If you haven't already got the CC headset I believe I have a pair of the CLC reducers around. They worked well for the light urban stuff I was doing on the bike at the time. Let me know
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe