mtbr member
    Jun 2007

cane Creek C1/Cannondale Bad Boy Rigid headset ???

Hi,newbie here! I'm trying to figure what the F@*K Cannondale did w/ this headset.I have a 2001 CAAD3 Cannondale Bad Boy rigid(non-Headshok) model.The bottom bearing in the Cane Creek C-1 headset has crapped out.Upon removing the headset it seems that Cane Creek/C'dale used 2 different size bearings on this headset.The top bearing is the usual 1-1/8 size but the bottom bearing is larger(maybe 1-1/2?) Is this standard for this model? Also since this bike didn't come w/ the headshok,maybe the frame is still made for the headshock and they had to use some sort of compromise system to make the RIGID Bad Boys work w/ standard size forks.I'm just shootin' in the dark here,but any info would be helpful.TIA!

LA CHÈVRE
    To my knowledge, the frame is 1.1/8" and the fork too so I would be surprised to see an differently sized headset in there. And, also to my knowledge, the C1 headset was only made in 1" and 1.1/8" sizes so again, I would be surprised to see a bigger cup. Are you meaning that the bearings inside the lower cup is not the same size as those inside the top cup? Just check the cups, some headsets have different ball sizes up and down, some have different ball rings diameters and some even have mixes of ball and needle bearings...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No,the bottom cup is definitely larger than the top,I bought a CC S-2 headset to replace and the C-1 is definitely larger on the bottom cup.Plus the old bearing was rusted shot,but the rusted retaining ring for the bearing is much larger than the top which is standard 1-1/8.Cannondales online literature states it's a Head-shock frame so I'm guessing they used a custom Cane Creek reducer headset for the rigid bad Boys.Guess I'll order a bearing from the CC XC headset which has 1.5 cartridges available.I emailed CC and they had no idea.The C-1 is mighty hard to find any info on,I'm guessing it was another C-dale anamoly.Still waiting on a response from Cannondale.Thanks for the hekp so far!

LA CHÈVRE
    The C1 is not made anymore, that's why it's so hard to find.

If the fork is 1.1/8" and the frame is Headshok sized, you can install any Headshok/Lefty to 1.1/8" reducing headset or spacers and a regular 1.1/8" headset.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :