mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Can you FR & DH on a RUSH?

can u DH or FR on a Rush or is it pure XC bike?

Any mods that would make this more suitable to some heavier riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    could you...sure why not. would you want to...No.

Its basically a purebred XC bike. maybe some very very light "all mountain"....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really really wouldn't. I have to admit that my Rush does feel a bit "delicate" at times while riding it. You also have to look at the Cdale lineup and consider that the Rush is the fourth model down from the top in terms of the degree of riding it can take, and even the Prophet in the FR setting is not really intended for true FR and would be pushing it.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Ok

I built a Rush as a slalom type bike, for man made DH trails near my house that are super bermy with fast changes of direction. All the airs have nice tranny.

I ride this in the Alps as my All Mountian rig as well, It takes multi hour decsents like a champ, and when things get real tech I love the low-ish BB...

Definitly not a Rampage bike, that should be clear though.

LA CHÈVRE
    My question is, why?

It wouldn't be a good bike for freeride and downhill even if you didn't had the risk of breaking it in less than an hour. The geometry is aimed for XC and of course, the way it built is too.

For FR/DH, look at the Judge, Perp, Gemini or maybe a Prophet MX. Taking a XC race frame for downhilling and freeriding is asking for trouble.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

banned
    you "can" do DH/FR on a tricycle if you want....if you "try" to make it more DH-worthy you will spend a bunch of coin to end up still not having near the bike to be able to handle it.....if you really want to do different type of riding, either sell the bike and start over correctly or add a second bike if possible

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by your_mom_does
    you "can" do DH/FR on a tricycle if you want....if you "try" to make it more DH-worthy you will spend a bunch of coin to end up still not having near the bike to be able to handle it.....if you really want to do different type of riding, either sell the bike and start over correctly or add a second bike if possible
    Exactly! Good idea. See this is an excellent excuse that many of us here would love to have for getting another bike and you should take advantage of it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    Exactly! Good idea. See this is an excellent excuse that many of us here would love to have for getting another bike and you should take advantage of it.
    and i forgot to add, if married and choosing the second bike option, make sure you have the new additional bike delivered to the office so as to not "burden" the wife not that I have done that 3 or 4 times or anything.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If u swapped the lefty for say something like a Pike, would that make it more robust for a lil more hardcore riding?

mtbr member

My Experience......

My experience doing exactly this.......

This past summer I took a 4 week multi-state trip, culminating with 12 days in Whistler. I took my Rush and rode it everywhere, including all the lift access runs in Utah & Montana. Admittedly, I "hike a biked" some sections in Big Sky because the Rush's travel was inferior for the application (as was the head angle) & flying rocks were doing a number on my Rush's beautiful frame..........Now comes Whistler! When I got there, I knew things were going to be MUCH DIFFERENT! My first day I rented Kona Stinky from Garbanzo Bike & Bean (not thrilled with those bikes) and was VERY GLAD I DID! Not only would I have been EXTREMELY limited in what runs I could ride, I would have DESTROYED my custom RUSH

I ended up driving to Vancouver and buying one of the last Glory's to be found at about $1.5k over what my rental fees would have been (it was the end of the season). That Glory has since been gutted (frame for sale) and is now a Perp1++ ...........Moral of the story, If you don't mind being limited as to which runs and which mountains you can ride, AND you don't mind utterly destroying what was once your favorite XC bike, GO FOR IT. If not, buy another bike for the heavy stuff
    Last edited by proxy; 02-20-2007 at 07:42 PM.
    PrOxY

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Really you need to ask yourself what you define as FR/DH. I mean, are you looking to do 4 foot drops, near vertical rock gardens or what exactly. Let me know what type of riding your going to do and i'll give you some ideas. In reality the Rush is more designed around XC, with steeper headtube angles that make the bike steer more quickly but also position your weight more towards the front, plus most of the components that come stock on a rush are not designed for heavy abuse. But a little beefed up and it could be a pretty decent all mountain bike.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie
    If u swapped the lefty for say something like a Pike, would that make it more robust for a lil more hardcore riding?
    I would be more concerned with cracking the frame or swingarm than the Lefty. Cannondale have a maximum reccomended fork length for the Rush that the Pike would far exceed, that voids the warranty, overstresses the head tube and could leave to catastrophic frame failure, but hey if you want to risk rearranging your teeth and having a trip to the ER who am I to argue. In addition the Rush has a progressive suspension rate that would lead to it blowing through its travel on big hits, overstressing the frame.

The short of it is that if you want to go hardcore and jump buy at least a Prophet MX or a Perp unless you have a good life insurance policy and I am your beneficiary!

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2005

yep, Pike is great

As stated above...what is 'your' definition of FR/DH? I think that should be you guide.

I have mine built with a U-turn Pike, which is cranked down to 120mm, which is the max recomended fork length...so I feel pretty OK there.

As well, whats the problem in using a short travel rig on smooth, flow trails? God forbid You have 200mm travel on something that resembles a 4X course.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If your version of FR/DH never bottoms 120 MM of suspension then you should be good to go. Based on my riding style I'd say 120 MM is only good for XC and some all mountain with no big drops, jumps or anything to flat. You'd just run out of travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok so can it handle 2-4 ft drops that some trails may present? Or would I be better taking the long way around?

Please define what you guys call "big drops"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie
    Ok so can it handle 2-4 ft drops that some trails may present? Or would I be better taking the long way around?

Please define what you guys call "big drops"
    I weigh almost 200 lbs, have both the front and rear shocks pumped up to 300 psi, high rebound, max Propedal, and have bottomed out my 110 mm of travel hopping over a SPEEDBUMP on a paved street on my Rush.

I think you'd be much happier with a Prophet, probably the MX because it was built specially for this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No

NO, don't do it.

I posted this before but I'm getting lazy. See attached post and insert "Freeride" where Black Cat says "just riding along". Bike that broke was a Santa Cruz Blurr XC. Similar to the Rush. Rich was initially paralyzed. Last I heard he's still not working and his wife was pregnant at the time of the accident.

http://forum.dhhawaii.com/index.php?topic=354.0

mtbr member
    Take Racerzero's advice and don't do it. Unless your bike was made to do DH/FR, you may seriously damage your bike and/or yourself. The Rush ws made for XC and trailriding. You would not ride a DH bike XC. You cannot put a 80mm Rockshox SID & 80mm Fox RP23 shock on a downhill bike and expect to ride XC. The opposite is the same. Get a real DH/FR bike that is made for that thype of riding. Sell your Rush if needed if this is the type of riding you really want to do. If not, it is justification to get a 2nd bike.