mnt bike laws of physics

Can the Prophet be race worthy?

I already race my 2005 Prophet (size XL-weight about 27 1/4) but the site of the new Carbon Rush has got my mind racing. WOW it is a beautiful site BUT I love my Prophet so much and hate the though of not giving it as much attension. I have raced it 3 times now in the expert 40's class and it has done very well. The very tight downhill sections are a little awkward but mostly that is my height at 6'4".

What is my thought here is if I got a DLR2 or the SL Lefty and put the shock position in the FR mode. My calculations: The angles remain the same (69 up front) and the BB height is lowered to 12.5" This is amlost exactly the same as the rush. The wheelbase is little over 1/2" longer. I imagine the weight would be about 1 pound heavier than a Carbon Rush. (I have bar ends and a bottle cage)
    That bottle cage saved my a$$ this weekend. I forgot my Camelbak bladder and I had to use bottles during the race. It rocks and I never take my eyes off the trail. I even went down in the pack near the beginning of the race when a guy turned into my front wheel, and the big bottle I was using didn't fall out. (King stainless steel cage).
    Anyway, does anyone have any thought about the conversion. Would it be comparable to the rush? It would certainly be stiffer. Would miss the higher bottom bracket, but mabey for racing 12.5" would be alright.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Well, you'll end up with a Prophet SL

Adding a 110mm DLR and lowering the rear will make your Propet feel like a Prophet SL. That's not bad at all, I own one and am very satisfied with the SL.

I've tried your proposed set up at my LBS before buying the SL. When adding the DLR you defenately must lower the back as wel, otherwise you'll end up with a bike that's got very sharp steering and will try to tip over every time you brake hard on the front brake.

Compared to the Rush (my GF got a Rush carbon) my SL is much softer in its suspension, althoug this could be stiffened up using more air, but soft is the way I like it. The Rush is more like an XC racer then the SL, stiffer in suspension and you can really feel the carbon frame stiffening up the bike.

Only thins to keep in mind is the lower bracket. I've grown adepted to it, but it is noticable, even on the Rush. Is it possible just to lower the Lefty you have in its clamps and lower the rear as well. This would give you an idea of how it will handle before you get a DLR.

Jowan