mtbr member

New question here. Can I use a 29¨ front wheel in a 2007 Rush 4

Just asking... Can I use a 29er front wheel on a 2007 Rush 4 equipped with a Lefty???
    Was comparing my front wheel with a 29er on a friends bike and there´s enough space for the 29er wheel there! Can it be done? Will it help clear large roots / rocks easier??

Thanks for the help u can send! (before I go crazy and buy the freakin 29er wheel and install it myself!!!!)
    2010 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2006 Specialized Allez Comp

LA CHÈVRE
    You would need to limit the Lefty's travel so the tire doesn't hit the crown at full travel and send your face against some rocks... that's never fun.

You'll also steepen the head angle a bit so steering will be slower but the ride might be more stable, less nervous. Steeper head angles also means a better angle for the Lefty to take care of bigger hits... The BB will get higher also... But by how much all of these will be felt, not sure as I have not tried it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Thanks very much Dan for the info. Now, how do I control the Lefty's travel?? I'm new to Leftys...

I've used hardtail bikes with a 29er wheels, it feels AWESOME, clears so many things and with such ease, its almost incredible. I want that in my Rush!!! jejeje u think this is something to consider or to plainly forget?
    2010 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think you would be better off just getting a full on 29er if you like it so much. Frankensteining your Rush might mess up the bike's geometry and functionality pretty badly.

mtbr member
    All it takes is a few plastic spacers inside the fork. Take the fork to a dealer and let them do it for you. Its kinda involved, and can be dangerous.

mtbr member
    Isn't there a Lefty with more travel? 140mm? That would give the 29er more space without having to open up the actual lefty...?
    2010 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Well to me the smart thing for c-dale to do would be lengthen the aluminum forging that the axle is on. Nice and simple and the rest of the fork could remain the same, but nooooo I don't know what I'm talking about......

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by CiclismoDeMontePR
    Isn't there a Lefty with more travel? 140mm? That would give the 29er more space without having to open up the actual lefty...?
    It's much simpler and cheaper to use the current Lefty and limit the travel, I wouldn't say it's that complicated, not dangerous either. A Lefty Max costs a lot of money and then you mess the geometry even more... and guess what? Yep, you'd still have to limit the travel. The axle to crown distance is bigger but since the front wheel can move further, we are back to the starting point.

Here are the instructions. You just need the Castle tool. I would suggest that you have your shop do it if you can't do it yourself, it takes just a few minutes so it shouldn't cost a lot... A lot less than the new front wheel anyway.

mtbr member
    not dangerous either.
    Ever see a guy take a lefty cap to the chest while disassembling per the instructions?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible
    Ever see a guy take a lefty cap to the chest while disassembling per the instructions?
    Never no...

mtbr member
    Been looking at the Lefty a while ago and it would be perfect, give the aluminum piece some 3 to 4 additional inches, could even sell the part separate.... then it would perfectly fit a 29er wheel no hastle. Anyone know a web shop or options to buy a ready built 29er wheel for lefty?
    2010 Santa Cruz Heckler