Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I convert my Crossmax 29 to work w/a lefty?

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Brendog 
#1 ·
Just thought I would try to get some advice here... has anyone tried to swap a 26 Mavic lefty hub into a Crossmax 29 front wheel?

I would love to run these on my new 29er!
Thanks

#5 ·
actually i wanted to do the same
mavic ust much better than notubes (topicstarter :) )

i have a xmaxx sl 26 leftywheel and i am going to dissamble it and do the same with my xmaxx 29er and then put the 29 spokes and rim togheter with the sl lefty hub and see what happens
there both 24spokes and the size of the hub seems the same
we'll see

#6 · (Edited)
I think it will work if you use the lefty hub from the Mavic Crossmax ST. It has the same spoke count and same spoke interface as the Cr29smax. Without buying an ST hub, I couldn't figure out if the hub flanges were the same size to warrant the use of the 29er spokes.

I looked into this when I got my Cr29smax back in 2007 and it looked feasible. You'd just have to buy a lefty front wheel and disassemble it and try it.

Mavic will not answer any questions pertaining to this for they do not want anyone bastardizing their wheels.

The 29er uses three different length spokes between the front and rear wheels. I bought extras when I started traveling overseas for races and had to buy an entire set. So, I have a whole wheelset's worth of spokes just sitting in a box. PM me if you want some.

After using both Mavic UST and Notubes, I prefer Notubes.

#9 ·
haven't build it yet but i spoke to a very friendly mavic guy and he measured everything and concluded that it might be possible.
ofcourse he adviced against it officially but i could hear he was interested in the idea.
i'am going to try next week but first i need a good steel or alu spoke wrench.The plastic one was killed after one twist

#14 ·
hi there

im still using the lefty 29er wheel with no problems so far
been using it on the road al lot riding the alps this summer with the flash 29er
i have build this wheel spring 2010 so i am not using for 3 years but for 6 months.
and it's still a mavic wheel i have not gone away from it
where did you see this pic?

#15 ·
jan vb said:
hi there

where did you see this pic?
Sorry Jan, I missed the date.

Saw your pic on the link you posted showing the wheel when you built it. Browsed through the album.

Great news that the wheel is still ok, I'm going to do the same. Did you change any spokes in the build?

I'm hoping to build a Santa Cruz TallBoy FS with a lefty and use the crossmax 29.

#17 ·
There still going without any problems
I've replaced the bearings but thats normal I think since the slr leftyhub I've used to build the wheel wasn't new. Cleaned the freewheel. (rear)
I haven't been easy on them and they keep up really good. Still true ( me 95 kgs...)
Did some very rocky riding in the Provence and the German alps and lots of Belgian Ardennes
I've seen fumic riding something that looked like a crossmaxx 29er in the worldcup so maybe mavic is testing them for next year.

#18 ·
Yep, Manuel Fumic has been riding prototypes of a Crossmax SLR 29er wheelset for a while. It features a lighter rim with the 3D ISM machining and a Lefty hub... But, Mavic doesn't always release what they give their pro riders (Crossmax Ultimate with carbon spokes, UST or Tubular, R-Sys Ultimate road wheels). I think it's a safe bet that this rim and or wheelset will be featured though, but when? In Lefty models? It's not in the 2012 catalog...

#20 ·
crossmax lefty

stil holding up yes

i understand that the lbs mecanic doesnt want the responsability.
if something happens he probbably in trouble...
it was the same here when i asked for help he never touched the wheel he just told me wat to do and i did it myself

mavic has a 29er slr lefty now but they are max 85 kgs total riderweight no go for me.
I wish mavic would make a stronger xc/allmountain version (st 29er lefty) for normal weighing people..;)

#21 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The wheels are in the process of being built. A few of the nipples were completely seized so I have had to replace a few of the spokes.

The weight limit on those wheels is ridiculous!...and the other major problem with the new SLR lefty is the price! Here in South Africa it works out to about 1300 Euro, which is which is just too expensive for me.

Thanks again for the advice. I really look forward to my fancy new wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.