mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Can the Fatty Solo Handle a Larger Rotor, Powerful Brakes?

Hello All,

Need some help.

I picked up an XL 2010 Badboy Solo late last year. Now I'm not a little guy, about 6'3" 235lbs. With that said, the stock Juicy 3's (which I'm not liking, they're a pain to set up properly) and the 160mm rotors on both wheels are not cutting it at all. Brake performance is definitely inadequate. Even when squeezing both brake levers, I come to "leisurely stops" with little force.

So, I'm definitely going to replace the brakes and possibly the rotors. I just want to know if the solo fatty fork can handle a significant upgrade. It may be overkill, but I'm pretty certain I want to go with the new Shimano Saint M810 brakeset. Any idea if this fork can handle these powerful brakes? What about upgrading the rotor to a 180mm size in addition to the Saint upgrade? Do you think it would be advantageous and more importantly safe?

So far I'm leaning towards upgrading the brakes to the Saints and keeping the 160mm Avid G2 rotors. Maybe see how that goes and upgrade the rotors to a 180mm/160mm combo a little later if I think I need it. Or I might splurge depending on your advise

Any advise provided would be greatly appreciated. I plan to purchase and upgrade within the next 2-3 weeks. Really want to make sure this is a safe upgrade.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Shurenuff; 04-07-2010 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Your tires will probably lose adhesion / grip before the frame or fork breaks..path of least resistance and all that.

Still it will be interesting to find out as I have a 2010 BBS Large also. You can be the beta tester for us

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's a good point. Although I did put slightly wider and more grippy tires on (32mm), but I doubt it matters.

But if I buy a mountain bike wheel-set in the future, it may.

Thanks for the feedback.