mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Can a carbon lefty be made into a full time rigid fork?

i rarely use the suspension on my lefty. i ride it locked out all the time. i have a rigid carbon fork on my SS, but it's a noodle in a bad way. i like the stiffness of the lefty.

can i take out all the suspension guts and make it a rigid. i know there is a germany company making one like this, but it's really expensive. looking to drop weight off it too.

it's the carbon SL set with three spacers.

Did I catch a niner?
    I am sure this can be done however I think you could sell the lefty for a real pretty penny and get a custom rigid for built however you want.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/90161/travis-boss

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I am sure this can be done however I think you could sell the lefty for a real pretty penny and get a custom rigid for built however you want.
    other than the "black cat bone"lucy" fork and this italian one, who else would make one?

i already have a regular rigid carbon one. the niner fork i had was too stiff horizontally and too much brake studder.

i like the double crown of the lefty and how it feels. single crown forks don't react like that.

LA CHÈVRE

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pull down the boot, add a cup or so of nice salty water, close the boot back up, and invert the bike for a few days.

Viola, rigid fork.

Of course, most folks would send such a beast in to have it made squishy, but I know for a fact this will make it solid as a block of concrete.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Pull down the boot, add a cup or so of nice salty water, close the boot back up, and invert the bike for a few days.

Viola, rigid fork.

Of course, most folks would send such a beast in to have it made squishy, but I know for a fact this will make it solid as a block of concrete.....
    Yep, works. I did this unintentionally with a Headshok (winter riding, lots of salt on the roads, hole in the boot, bike slept on my balcony). it never moved at all for years after, which was fine to me as it was on a bike used for commuting.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post

yes this looks nice......but
    Can a carbon lefty be made into a full time rigid fork?-321482_280105112118991_192713563_n.jpg

it's a one off and no brakes. i don't have all that machinery to make my own fork. need to modify a already made lefty

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

Viola, rigid fork.

i would like to just empty everything out and and just have the tube.