mtbr member

Calling ALL Cannondale owners w/ Lefty fork..............???

I've just purchased an almost new 2007 Prophet 5. The bike appears super sweet, paint job, frame design, etc. However, after reading the manuals it appears the lefty fork requires additional maintenance over the traditional style forks. Is this true? I read where the needle bearings may migrate and need to be reset? How difficult? Speciality tools required?

I currently ride a light hardtail (26lbs) and I think the Prophet is in the 33 lb. range so I'm skeptical about that as well. I'm confident the comfort in the ride will overcome the added challenge of climbs due to the added weight.

Plus for transporting, I can't easily take off the front wheel and lock in the fork with bike cleats so that adds to dilemas.

Please convince me that you won't have any more maintenance, difficulties with the Prophet as I would with other manufacturers.

I want to take it out and start riding but waiting for this small bit of buyers remorse to leave the brain !!

Jason

LA CHÈVRE
    Have you read manuals for other forks? They all need maintenance. The bearing reset is very easy to do but you need a tool to open the top cap. It's the same tool that is used to work on external bearings bottom brackets, I paid 14$ CAD for my tool, not so bad and I needed it for the BB anyway. Resetting the bearings only takes a minute and needs to be done accroding to your riding. If you bottom out very often, you'll probably need to reset them more often. I do it once or twice per year so that makes 2 minutes of maintenance per year, not so bad.

For transportation, well, you either need a rack that doesn't require to take wheels off or get a Hurrican Fork-up Lefty mount. Taking the wheel off is super easy to do. Personally, I much prefer racks that don't require to take wheels off even with regular QR forks. Many fork companies have followed and let go of standard quick releases in favor of thru axles and various system that help stiffen up the wheel. Less practical? Maybe but the improved performance is noticable.

But ride the thing and you'll quickly forget all these worries you have. I much prefer having the benefits of the Lefty like it's stiffness, smooth travel, precise steering than having an inferior fork that's slightly easier to transport and that doesn't have bearings to reset. Conventional forks need new bushings every now and then, the Lefty doesn't. Most other forks in the same travel range and weight feel like they are carved out of Jell-O.

As for weight... that's a personnal thing. I think 26lbs is quite heavy for a hardtail but 33lbs for a strong nice 5.5" travel FS trail bike is not that bad.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the quick response. The deal I got was so darn good I couldn't pass it up, not to mention I was looking for an 'all mountain' bike with suspension greater than 4 inches.

To be honest, it hasn't seen the trails yet but I'm anticipating it.

I"m glad to hear the maintenance (resetting the needle bearings) isn't overly involved and as you stated, not being able to transport it with a bike cleat is hardly reason enough to ditch a kick butt bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    I can't ride a regular two-legged, bushing equiped fork anymore. I find the Lefty that much superior... My opinion, maybe it'll be your's too soon.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    What the hell is a "bike cleat" ???????

mtbr member
    Must have used the wrong terminology..........

It's primarily used to transport bikes. It allows you to remove the front wheel and affix the frame/fork assembly to an axle. Local bike shop accessory for around $20.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Hitch-Pro.htm

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    My friend has a bike rack in which the wheels sit in two 'cups' and these arms capture the rim/tire. I think I would go that way. No fuss, no damage to car from swaying bikes (like on a walmart rack) etc etc.
    Bearing reset thread
    CDT

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Is there a link to somewhere that goes over how to reset the bearings in detail..

im sorta handicapped when it comes to bike repairs
    Is it simple? Does it involve little parts that are easy to lose?

in case you can't tell, i'm pretty much clueless to the lefty bearings
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan30
    Is there a link to somewhere that goes over how to reset the bearings in detail..

im sorta handicapped when it comes to bike repairs
    Is it simple? Does it involve little parts that are easy to lose?

in case you can't tell, i'm pretty much clueless to the lefty bearings

Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    My friend has a bike rack in which the wheels sit in two 'cups' and these arms capture the rim/tire. I think I would go that way. No fuss, no damage to car from swaying bikes (like on a walmart rack) etc etc.

Bearing reset thread
    CDT
    The bearing reset link can also be found in the *****Read this first***** Hot Topics/ FAQS and SCAMS topic in the main cannondale forum. Its a sticky and is Always at the top
    CDT

mtbr member
    "Is there a link to somewhere that goes over how to reset the bearings in detail.."
    Look one line above your post! Click that little underlined link Tony posted (A little cryptic, it says "Bearing reset thread" )
    [Edit - Tony just beat me to the punch on that one]

Lefty's being hard to work on is a big myth. I'm clueless with this stuff, yet have changed the spring, done bearing resets, and will eventually do an oil change when the time comes. (credit goes to all the great people here who got me over any intimidation I may have had with the thing - thanks guys!)
    All so easy, yet most LBS's for some reason think it's rocket science!
    Just get out and ride it!!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    "Is there a link to somewhere that goes over how to reset the bearings in detail.."
    Look one line above your post! Click that little underlined link Tony posted (A little cryptic, it says "Bearing reset thread" )
    [Edit - Tony just beat me to the punch on that one]

Lefty's being hard to work on is a big myth. I'm clueless with this stuff, yet have changed the spring, done bearing resets, and will eventually do an oil change when the time comes. (credit goes to all the great people here who got me over any intimidation I may have had with the thing - thanks guys!)
    All so easy, yet most LBS's for some reason think it's rocket science!
    Just get out and ride it!!!
    WOW, I'm a little slow...
    Maybe I should try reading

Thanks guys
    This weekend I'll get to work resetting the bearings.. (its overdue im sure)

And dont worry, I'll post if things end up going horribly wrong
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    I think all those bikes that have a left and right side suspension device look kinda strange. Some kind of redundancy thing or something. Don't forget that no other bicycle fork has a dust boot as effective as the lefty.

mtbr member
    Just leave your wheel on and transport your Lefty equipped bike this way ..
    Last edited by ccaddy; 07-28-2007 at 09:37 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud
    Plus for transporting, I can't easily take off the front wheel and lock in the fork with bike cleats so that adds to dilemas

Try these on for size....

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...t_id=8&sku=916

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...t_id=8&sku=594

No front wheel removal required, nor any frame/component contact. Best design out there, Used to be Sportworks, Thule was jealous of their coolness, and bought the company
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com