mtbr member
    May 2008

caffeine vs taurine frame.

Hi guys,

I am shortly hoping to upgrade my old F600 frame. Untill recently I was going to buy the Taurine i.e Carbon frame but finances are now starting to bite. My question, is there a huge difference between the ride of the two - especially over bumpy terrain? Should I maybe wait untill I can afford the Taurine frame?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Nick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Unfortunately I've not ridden a Caffeine frame, but I can tell from experience that the Taurine is a very comfortable bike. Stiff with a lot of power transfer but very complient. See the reveiws on this site/forum or search the I'net for reviews, or even C'dales site, although those might be somewhat biassed. I've read a users comparison between the two in a Belgium magazine lately, and the users preferred the Taurine over the Caffeine, mainly for the above reasons. IMO you will not regret opting for the Taurine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Nick,

What frame is your F600, FURIO?,CAAD4? or CAAD3?
    I have biked optimo hartail and taurine, The optimo was far more comfortable en forgiven. The taurine was for me a hard ride, very good for racing and stiffness but no comfort at all.
    I think the optimo is the best hartail ever build by cannondale, light and comfortable.

When your bike now is a Furio, the caffeine will not really be a upgrade. Not really lighter, stiffer or more comfortabel. I would try to get a taurine or a good second hand optimo, that would be a real upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi, thanks for the info - I have a Furio frame, a bit hammered but otherwise okay, maybe I must hang on to it untill finances approve.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    NIck,
    get hold of Gerhard Dirks or Niel Bradford, both in Cape Town.
    Gerhard rode his Taurine in the 2008 ABSA Cape Epic and seemed to find the bike comfortable enough for the amount of time he spent on it per day (around 5hrs ave).

Niel digs his taurine, mostly because yu can fit two bottle cages on it. He is also a looney bin so comfort does not feature high onhis agenda...

I've only taken a taurine out for a brief ride and can compare it as harsher than an Optimo. It sort of between an Optimo and a CAAD4.

It is very quick though, in steering (possibly from stiffer main triangle) and acceleration (BB area stiffer than Optimo)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Brad, will do.